New to Ohio (2016)

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by jampics2, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Josbor11

Josbor11 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2013 Ohio

I think I already know the answer to this but are there any decent beer bars west of Rocky River? I'm talking Bay, Westlake, Avon, Avon Lake, etc?

2. Nate

Nate Initiate (0) Mar 8, 2012 Ohio

Marz Community Brewing has hit Ohio, with a very limited number of Jungle Boogie 4-packs available. Not sure about any of their other offerings.

CincyMon and Sinzanasti like this.
  3. Keffa

Keffa Defender (610) Jan 8, 2009 Ohio

Dude, if we get Double Jungle Boogie, I'll be thrilled, that stuff was awesome, it was like someone took Kool-Aid and put caramel malt in it.

4. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2012 Ohio

Who is distributing?

5. BigSpeen3436

BigSpeen3436 Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2013 Ohio

Winking Lizard and Yardhouse are about as good as it gets. I still haven't been there yet but I've heard good things about Sibling Revelry and Fat Heads isn't too far away. There are also a couple new breweries opening in Avon sometime in the near future.

Josbor11 and jhall830 like this.
  6. jhall830

jhall830 Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2014 Ohio

Sibling (Westlake) has definitely gotten better with their newer beers. Avon Brewing Company is supposed to open end of Aug, or beginning of Sept. Railroad Brewing (Avon) is supposed to open in the Fall, no idea on a date.

If you want to go a little further west you can go to Brew Kettle in Amherst.

Josbor11 and BigSpeen3436 like this.
  7. Josbor11

Josbor11 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2013 Ohio

We went to Sibling Revelry the opening night and was not impressed, haven't been back since. I have seen some cans at the store which shocked me based on my initial impression. I'll have to give it a second try. Yard House is decent, but way overpriced given its location. Most of their beers outside of happy hour are $6 to $7 and its not like the tap list jumps off the page either.

I had no idea there were two breweries opening in Avon. I knew of the Railroad opening up but didn't know there was a second so that's great news.

8. jhall830

I agree the beers at Sibling were rather basic when they opened. I work on the same road as the brewery and I've only been a handful of times. The last 2 times I went, I really enjoyed their bock and tripel. I also saw they just released a paw paw pale ale, maybe that's good?

I also agree with Yard House. It's pricey, nothing too crazy there, plus it gets real busy during peak hours.

I live right around the corner of the new Avon Brewing that's going in, so I'll report back once they officially open.

9. cg123

cg123 Initiate (109) Feb 27, 2012 Ohio

I'm skeptical of this place. Pretty sure their beer is contract brewed by Black Box in Westlake. And nothing Black Box has ever made has been that great.

Just my $.02

10. jhall830

I'm certainly not getting my hopes up, but proximity can make up for quality to an extent, at times.

11. williamDbar

williamDbar Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2012 Ohio

They are not brewing at Black Box. It's being brewed at Hop View, by themselves, in Madison. You should have your facts straight before tossing your 2 cents around.

#2131 williamDbar, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  12. jhall830

Have you had any of their stuff? Any good?

I was reading up on the beers they were planning on offering and they sounded rather delicious.

13. williamDbar

I have not yet. I grew up with a couple of the guys starting the brewery, Dan and Brian. Played baseball with Dan for many years, and my freshmen year in High School I played soccer with Brian. Now that means NOTHING as far as their beer is concerned. I just have a lot of faith in them. Should be a great place for the city of Avon(grew up there). I am looking forward to trying their stuff soon. They are slated to open Aug 23rd. If we run into each other there, you can throw a beer on my tab. Cheers!

14. jhall830

Awesome! I'm definitely going to try to get up there for the opening.

williamDbar likes this.
  15. cg123

Nothing you corrected gives me any more confidence than I already didn't have.

I wish them luck and hope I am wrong though as this would be the closest place to where I live.

16. ClePaul

ClePaul Zealot (596) May 30, 2013 Ohio

I can't wait to use this sentence in real life... How's everyone been liking JO's 'Ohio Pale Ale'? Thinking about snagging some this weekend... I mean, I'm going to regardless, just also curious how you guys been digging it as well.

JohnnyMc likes this.
  17. JohnnyMc

I really liked it! Hoppy enough, but super crushable and easy drinking too. Love the artwork on the cans too.

18. williamDbar

Gotta love the beer culture now a days. Shoot people/ideas down before trying. Very classy. Cheers to you and your wealth(lack there of) beer knowledge!

19. ddedhed

ddedhed Guest (0)

I get what you are saying, but I have to point out that your previous post responding to him.....

..... contained more dick and douche than class. Don't be surprised when people respond by prematurely insulting your friends when you do not cultivate an atmosphere of education and advocacy yourself.

20. williamDbar

Again, more CLASS from another "know it all". Maybe if he didn't toss around his 2 cents as "facts" he wouldn't be called out for it. But thanks for your education and advocacy. You are a true beer advocate. Cheers!

21. ddedhed

ddedhed Guest (0)

Not sure how calling people "know it all" is demonstrating your true class. I do not know either of you or the nature of your relationship. Instead of sharp comments meant to put others down when they are wrong, why not educate him on the truth in an informative manner? No reason to be upset.

chrismattlin likes this.
  22. williamDbar

Pretty sure I did correct him. Maybe you should read a little further down?! And why do you feel the need to be the moral compass? Do you get a satisfaction out of it? Or are you just bored? Gotta love the Internet police.

23. JohnnyMc

How about we get back to NEW TO OHIO stuff shall we?

Got to try Enjoy By 09.05.16 Unfiltered last night and really enjoyed it! Anyone else like this more than regular Enjoy By too?

24. ddedhed

ddedhed Guest (0)

I did read further down. I know you corrected him. I am suggesting you do it in a different way in the future so you do not have to complain about people lacking class when they respond in a manner you do not like.

I would not consider myself a moral compass. My morals are questionable and sense of direction terrible. However, satisfaction is the reason I am here.

Bored? Yes, with this banter.

Internet police? Nope. But do not get butthurt when you get called out for your words.

Cheers and good luck!

chrismattlin and miketd like this.
  25. miketd

miketd Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2006 Ohio

I got a chuckle out f this. From one guy of questionable character to another, cheers!!

And Bill, cg is just another cynic, like me. Trust me when I tell you he will spend as much or more than anyone at that place if it's good.

#2145 miketd, Aug 13, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
    BuckeyeBeerhead and ddedhed like this.
  26. cg123

I never said it was fact. I said "pretty sure", which obviously is not a statement of fact. I then criticised Black Box for not being that great of a brewery.....and that is a statement of fact.

And frankly all you are doing is defending your friends. You have no idea whether their beer is any good or not. And as miketd said, if it is good, I will visit them often.

27. BigSpeen3436

I think the part about hating on a brewery that hasn't even opened yet is where you got off on the wrong foot. Chill out and have a beer!

28. cg123

Being skeptical is hating these days? Jesbus, I hate everything then.

miketd likes this.
  29. Keffa

Keffa Defender (610) Jan 8, 2009 Ohio

We get it, you two have huge internet penises. Stop swinging your schwänze and drink a beer.

Sheesh.

Side note, bottled our first batch today. 2 Row, Victory, Munich, Oats, Flaked Wheat for grain bill, Citra, Simcoe, and Galaxy for hops. 1318 yeast. 1.052 SG (started lower than we wanted thanks to a hiccup in our process) and finished at 1.010. Looks like, tastes like, and smells like pineapple juice. Completely unfiltered, and has a ton of hop particulate still in it, thanks to someone not having anything to strain the dry hop in the fermenter. Not a pretty beer, but drinks like a pretty beer. Going to be brewing again here in 2 weeks, and will likely be brewing again shortly thereafter to enter into Beer 4 Boobs at Weasel Boy in November. That one is a new recipe I'm putting together for a DIPA with a pretty unique single hop. Should be fun.

Cheers!

brycevolk, NABS, Josbor11 and 4 others like this.
  30. brother_rebus

brother_rebus Meyvn (1,024) Jul 28, 2014 Maine
    Trader

In town for the weekend. Hit up great lakes today. Was pretty disappointed with the brewery and tripel release. sought solace in the beer warehouse on mayfield. pretty good, especially on prices but only had a few Jackie Os brews, which I had hoped for more selection.

Kinda bummed about the indians game which we were planning on. Looking for suggestions for the evening. Mostlikely beer centric, given the website. Have a car. Or uber. Staying in the clinic. Thnx in advance.

31. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Disciple (343) Oct 20, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

Tremont Taphouse, Town Hall, and Platform

brother_rebus likes this.
  32. brother_rebus

brother_rebus Meyvn (1,024) Jul 28, 2014 Maine
    Trader

33. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (498) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Made a little trip to the Akron area today. Stopped at R. Shea, Thirsty Dog and Aqueduct.

This was our second time at R. Shea, first was right when they opened. At the time I thought they were ok, but figured it would be worth trying again later on. Today, while I still see potential in their stuff, the carbonation (or lack of) really ruins their beers for me. They all have a nitro-esque mouthfeel. Fix that issue and the beers would improve significantly. The flavor of the beers were good otherwise for the most part. Anybody else feel the same way?

First time at Thirsty Dog. Best of the trio today. Extremely impressed with the Berliner and Flanders Red they had on tap, delicious. Didn't expect the sours there. Thinking that the Berliner is not kettle soured given the price (a little high) and they wouldn't let anyone take either of the sours on the tour due to risk of contamination. Citra Dog fresh on tap was amazing as well, was fantastic!

Lastly, Aqueduct, the small nano brew attached to the back of a Thirsty Dog was our last stop. Bleh. All I can say. Got a flight and couldn't finish it. Beers were served too warm and they were all quite bad to nearly undrinkable. At least the two stops before were better.

ODYSEYY likes this.
  34. Bogforce

Bogforce Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2010 Ohio

After a lot of major issues with brewing equipment Three Tigers Brewing in Granville should have beer on tap very soon.

BuckeyeBeerhead and PJ_ like this.
  35. cg123

Cool shout out to Weasel Boy in this morning's MMQB column by Peter King. He is a beer guy and usually mentions a beer or brewery in his column each week.

Excerpt:

Beernerdness: Driving from Latrobe, Pa., to Cincinnati after Tuesday’s Steelers joint practices, I thought going halfway would be about right, with the last 2.5 hours of the journey set for Wednesday morning. Halfway was Zanesville, Ohio, on I-70, east of Columbus and maybe 150 miles northeast of Cincinnati. My videographer, John DePetro, and I made it known on Twitter that we were stopping in Zanesville for the evening, and two folks Tweeted back that we should stop at Weasel Boy Brewing, a brewpub in an out-of-the-way old brick building in the city. Of course, we did; who can turn down the chance to try a good Mango Wheat at such a distinctive-sounding place? A charming, homey place, where the locals have their own ceramic beer mugs, made in Zanesville, and the bartender, Andie, washes them out between each serving. Just a cool place, and John and Itook a photo with Andie to commemorate our half-hour at Weasel Boy.

Full article:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/08/15/michael-phelps-olympics-ray-lewis-nfl-training-camp-preseason

36. djtothemoney

djtothemoney Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio

The Woodburn Brewery opened in Cincinnati this past Friday night. They got off to a great start, easily the best run opening I've seen at a brewery, had plenty of beer to go around and the 4 that I tried were all very tasty.

They had a Chocolate Cherry Stout that was delightful and a Cedar IPA that had a nice touch of wood to balance out the bitterness from the hops.

They've skyrocketed past quite a few breweries in Cincinnati.

37. sbh50

sbh50 Initiate (82) Feb 6, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

That was a soft opening for Woodburn. Grand opening is the 26th of August.

38. jampics2

jampics2 Poo-Bah (1,787) Dec 19, 2008 Ohio
    Society Trader

OH HELL YES!

[​IMG]

cbjfan, jminch, Keffa and 12 others like this.
  39. BigSpeen3436

I'm guessing this will be an October release? Either way, can't wait!

40. Swettenham_Shire

Swettenham_Shire Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2014 Ohio

Killer stuff. Harvest approaches.

So what exactly is the difference between wet and fresh hop IPAs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.