New to Ohio (2016)

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by jampics2, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Champion (858) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio

Sorry if this has been asked and answered but where do people in the Cleveland Heights area go for growler fills. Winking Lizard doesn't do them. The Wine Spot is the closest one but they're kind of pricey and sometimes don't give you a decent fill plus their website isn't always up to date. Their selection is ok to good imo. Whole Food is usually very good on their prices (maybe the only item in the store that way) and usually the selection (although sometimes just not what I'm looking for) with the only downside that they don't have any online info of what's on tap. Heinen's in University Heights and Shaker are probably where I go most; I can usually find something interesting and the prices are ok I guess; just got a fill of Citracado yesterday. Cedar Green Wine sometimes has an interesting selection (they seem to follow a pattern on certain seasonals I like) and their prices are a bit high imo; the website is usually up to date. Lizardville has a good selection but it's pricey and their website is, by their admission, unreliable.

As I was driving around yesterday I was thinking "I'll bet there are some good places I don't know about" hence the question.

radio2525 likes this.
  2. ohiobeer29

ohiobeer29 Defender (649) Feb 2, 2013 Ohio

Quick update on Mother Stewart brewing had their lager and Belgian blonde both were pretty solid all the beers I've tried from them have been true to style nothing mind blowing but all have been very drinkable and hear they may venture into doing some barrel aging in the future which could be really exciting

3. Josbor11

Josbor11 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2013 Ohio

:grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

Time to put some PTO in!

djtothemoney and ohiobeer29 like this.
  4. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Disciple (343) Oct 20, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

Not trying to be a dick but can you use commas and periods? I want to read your posts but it's not easy.

5. Josbor11

Just now got around to cracking my first BA Oro Negro and holy fuck is it good. This has to be a top five for me.

6. alphaiii

alphaiii Initiate (66) Dec 6, 2013 Pennsylvania

Agreed. I love that beer. One of my overall favorite beers and my second favorite spiced stout.

7. sqearl84

sqearl84 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2014 Ohio

if that's your 2nd favorite what's your first because I must have it...

Josbor11 likes this.
  8. alphaiii

Voodoo Grande Negro Voodoo Papi aged in Buffalo Trace barrels

9. RyanMcFly1985

Trader

Definitely one of the best spice beers ever. The Apple Brandy one from 2013 may be the best, though. Doubt it's drinking nearly as good at this point, but who knows.

10. Josbor11

I slowly made my way through a bomber of T.O.R.I.S last night watching the Tribe game. Only the second bottle of HF I've ever purchased but I really enjoyed it. The ABV is very well hidden behind the flavor and body of the beer. Absolutely worth picking up.

ODYSEYY and djtothemoney like this.
  11. alphaiii

Had the apple brandy version on draft back in April during the Manbearpig tapping... It was good with alot of chili spice but I much prefer the bourbon barrel version, especially batch 2. I guess I just don't love apple brandy barrel.

Now I just need to find a way to get a barrel aged Abraxas to see if GNVP is still king.

RyanMcFly1985 likes this.
  12. RyanMcFly1985

Trader

IMO, GNVP is way better than BA Abraxas, but your mileage may vary and all that.

alphaiii likes this.
  13. alphaiii

Wow that says alot for GNVP given all the love BA Abraxas gets.

That also makes me less interested in giving up a GNVP plus who knows what else to get one.

RyanMcFly1985 likes this.
  14. BigSpeen3436

BigSpeen3436 Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2013 Ohio

I know @RyanMcFly1985 probably thinks this is blasphemy, but I have enjoyed pumpkin ales less and less each year. Having said that, Platform's Yammy Yammy is one of the best fall seasonals I've had lately. It has a very mild spice and sweetness to it that I think is just right.

Their winter seasonal, Esther, is also a favorite. These overly spiced seasonal beers make me cringe, so I'm glad there are breweries out there doing something different. I'm also really looking forward to CBC's winter seasonal.

NABS, ClePaul and RyanMcFly1985 like this.
  15. Oopssorryy

Oopssorryy Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2016 Ohio

I've been seeing articles about a "2 Tones" brewery in the Circleville Ohio area, anyone had any of their brews or know anything about them?

Bonis likes this.
  16. BuckeyeBeerhead

BuckeyeBeerhead Initiate (143) Jun 18, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

I believe their kegs have or will be hitting the market soon. Don't know much else. Also, I think they are out of Whitehall.

Bonis likes this.
  17. Oopssorryy

Oopssorryy Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2016 Ohio

Just recently heard about them from a coworker who lives in Cville. That's what happens when you assume. With any luck it'll be a decent brew.

18. Josbor11

Lets talk about the only thing that really matters in Ohio... Bodhifest is 10/19.

19. ohiobeer29

Ollie's has hoof hearted side pippin no limits

20. jdoncbus

jdoncbus Disciple (374) Jun 17, 2006 Ohio

Will they be touring with Ska Brewery? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Bonis and ClePaul like this.
  21. AC-DCBag

AC-DCBag Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2009 Ohio

Tell me more. I haven't heard anything about it.

22. ClePaul

ClePaul Zealot (596) May 30, 2013 Ohio

I really wanted to say it. Fairly certain it will go over 90%+ of ever ones head though. "Pick it up, pick it up, pick it up! up my fellow rude boy! Skank on!" Haha

CaptCleveland likes this.
  23. Bonis

Bonis Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2010 Ohio

Hey fellow BAs, you can check out more about the 2 Tones beer and where to find it on the website, as well as Facebook page.
    https://www.2tonesbrewingco.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/2tonesbrewingco/

There are currently 4 beers in the lineup: IPA, Irish Red Ale, Kolsch, and a Hoppy Kolsch (more of a session IPA). They also have a fresh imperial pumpkin ale fermenting right now. The IPA and Irish Red are the flagship beers, and both are quite tasty. Check it out if you guys see it.

Oopssorryy and Hopstantino like this.
  24. Bonis

Bonis Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2010 Ohio

The owners are from Circleville, but the brewery is based in Whitehall. They don't have a tap room yet, but are self distributing to local bars and restaurants.

Oopssorryy likes this.
  25. jamvt

jamvt Devotee (400) Aug 5, 2005 Massachusetts
    Trader

visiting the inlaws in columbus (upper arlington). is there a convenient store to grab bodhi 4pks close by? thanks for any and all help!

26. Sinzanasti

Sinzanasti Aspirant (210) Apr 3, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

It's all gone. Last bottling date was 8/22 and that was basically gone within a week or so of it hitting shelves.

Next bottling date is 9/12 so if you are going to be in town early next week you should be able to find it.

jamvt likes this.
  27. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2010 Ohio

I wonder if the 9/12 batch will have super fast distribution like the 8/22 batch did

28. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,196) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

I had a lot more R. Shea stuff during this past birthday week of theirs, and I have to say, I really don't know how they do it, but they do "flavored" beers better than a lot of the big boys, making things like pecan, peach, coconut, pineapple, and bluemonberry really pop. Their more traditional beers are pretty dialed in at this point, with the hoppy brews being maybe not as extreme as some may like and pretty balanced, but still hitting classic notes. And of course everything still has that really fluffy, near nitro feel to it.

I also got a quick rundown when I asked about the mouthfeel and nitro-like look of most of their beers, despite most of the aromas not being muted. Apparently they leave the beer in the fermenter instead of re-carbing afterwards, which results in smaller, more densely packed bubbles. I may have simplified that a bit, as I was a little hazy at that point, but it seems he's been asked this question a few times.

29. williamDbar

williamDbar Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2012 Ohio

120 min bottles this week.

Josbor11 likes this.
  30. Josbor11

Just noticed this. Basically every year during Cleveland Beer Week there is a Bodhi-fest event. It's 5-7 PM at Rozis and then from 7-Close at Deagans next door. It's a ton of different infusions of Bodhi available in both flights and full pours. Last year they had pineapple, coffee, cucumber, habanero, mango, etc. Always a great time.

31. ohiobeer29

They fixed the distribution issue?

32. williamDbar

williamDbar Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2012 Ohio

I guess. The DFH website said September 5th ships to Ohio. A week later it's hitting shelves. Sounds about normal turnaround.

ohiobeer29 likes this.
  33. jampics2

jampics2 Poo-Bah (1,787) Dec 19, 2008 Ohio
    Society Trader

Cleveland Beer Week flagship events (scaled a bit back this year):

Collaboration Kickoffs: 10/14/16
    Belgian Social: 10/15/16
    Culture Yourself: 10/18/16
    Offshore Pour: 10/19/16
    CBW Ales on Rails 10/21/2016
    Beer and Chocolate Extravaganza 10/21/2016
    RARE 10/22/2016*

*RARE replaces Brewzilla. More details coming soon, from what I've heard the beer list should be freaking insane.

Josbor11 likes this.
  34. jampics2

jampics2 Poo-Bah (1,787) Dec 19, 2008 Ohio
    Society Trader

Also, Cantillon flight night back at Lakewood Lizardville 10/14.

Josbor11 likes this.
  35. Josbor11

I actually like that it's being poured with Prairie this year. The last two years they merged it alongside breweries I hadn't heard of before and nobody seemed to get anything but Cantillon.

jampics2 likes this.
  36. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2010 Ohio

What was the atmosphere like last year? Is it super crowded and difficult to get a pour? I was thinking about going this year but a bit nervous about it being a weekday.

37. Josbor11

It was pretty busy last year. There were three of us and we luckily managed to grab two bar seats but that's because we got there early (missed Rozis portion). I want to say there were two rows deep of people hovering around the bar once it got started and all the tables were full. They have very quick service though and flights are always at the ready.

38. ohiobeer29

120 min at jungle Jims 1 4 pack limit per family

39. Josbor11

Per family? lol

40. djtothemoney

djtothemoney Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio

They say that to limit people coming in with their spouse or girlfriend etc and splitting up and buying a set.

The problem being, most people don't follow the rules and they don't generally tell the cashiers either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.