New to Ohio (2016)

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by jampics2, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tepie

tepie Initiate (79) Aug 26, 2015 Ohio

I plan on mixing the mole and the sunday morning together honestly, should be nice

2. Josbor11

Josbor11 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2013 Ohio

I like where your heads at.

3. ohiobeer29

ohiobeer29 Defender (649) Feb 2, 2013 Ohio

I'll have to see if I can find this one

chrismattlin likes this.
  4. dailyminefield

dailyminefield Devotee (476) Jun 13, 2012 North Carolina

Fathead's Brewery & Saloon, North Olmsted
    Celebration of the Hop IPA Fest
    9/24/16

Trying to find out what this is all about. Anyone have any info?
    Their website doesn't say a whole lot and there is no mention of it anywhere on BA.
    They say there will be 20 breweries represented, but no list.
    The lack of info out there makes me think it's nothing special.

I will be in town this weekend and I'm just trying to find out if it's worth the $40.

5. cg123

cg123 Initiate (109) Feb 27, 2012 Ohio

Brick and Barrel – Bitter Chief IPA, Imperial Red IPA
    Brew Kettle – White Rajah IPA, El Lupulo Libre DIPA, All For One Session IPA, Old 21 DIPA
    Butcher and the Brewer – Stop Hop Kaboom IPA, Passenger Seat DIPA, Fresh Hop Simplcity
    Columbus – Thunderlips Pale, Creeper Imperial IPA
    Cornerstone – Seven IPA, 3 ½ Session IPA
    Four String – Switchblade IPA, Rectifier DIPA
    Jackie O’s – Sophia – Mandala Simcoe DIPA, Ohio Pale Ale
    JAFB Wooster – Rain Delay IPA, JAF IPA, Get Roasted Coffee IPA, Brighter Daze Rye IPA
    Kindred – Farmhouse Pale, Waves APA
    Lagerheads – High 5 IPA, Relaxer Session IPA, Bed Head Red, Children of the Hop CASK
    Land Grant – Greenskeeper Session, Neutron DIPA
    Lavery – Dulachan IPA, Apricot Amarillo IPA
    Goldhorn - Goldhorn IPA, Fire Plug Smoked Pale
    Mad Tree - Galaxy High DIPA, Blood Orange Psychopathy IPA
    Millersburg – French Ridge IPA, Currant Event
    North High – Hella Ella Pale, IPA
    Old 1st Ward – Short Sleeves Hoppy Wheat, Streaker 6.0 IPA
    Platform – MF Hop Machine, Lair Slayer Black IPA
    Sibling Revelry – Swing State Session IPA, IPA, IIPA
    Thin Man – No Pressure IPA, Bliss DIPA
    Wolf’s Ridge - Coconut Howling Moon DIPA, Driftwood Session IPA, Cask – Double Dry Hop Earthrise IPA
    Willoughby – Perseids Pale, Supernova DIPA, Cosmic IPA, Hazy Days Hoppy Wheat
    3 Floyds – Lazer Snake IPA, Permanent Funeral DIPA, Zombie Dust
    50 West – ShRed IPA, Punch You in the EyePA
    Seventh Son – Proliferous DIPA

dailyminefield likes this.
  6. BigSpeen3436

BigSpeen3436 Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2013 Ohio

That looks pretty special to me. I am not able to make it this year and couldn't make it last year either, but it's always one of my favorite events.

7. dailyminefield

dailyminefield Devotee (476) Jun 13, 2012 North Carolina

@cg123
    Thanks for posting the list, I appreciate it.

Mostly no names to me, are there any specific ones you recommend?

No list from Fatheads? I was hoping to see Super Juicy Hop JuJu make an appearance.

#2447 dailyminefield, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  8. Treebute

Treebute Initiate (143) Jul 13, 2011 Ohio
    Trader

Jackie O's Sophia

What's that?

9. ryhayes

ryhayes Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2013 Ohio

Looks like this hit CBus. Saw a post from Wine & Brew. Also PC Pils Hopped Pilsner from Founders? 6 pk bottels and 15 pk cans. I think I would like that very much.

10. ohiobeer29

Looks like SMS mole is hitting Dayton this week

11. tepie

Drinking the mole now, want more spice, didn't blow me away, one 4 pack will do, the base SMS smell and taste are all there, maybe next time minus the coffee? I enjoyed the Great Lakes mole more over the Sunday mole.

ohiobeer29 likes this.
  12. ohiobeer29

Mother Stewart's Brewing Company is releasing their Porter on draft today at 4pm

13. cg123

I'm sure Fat Head's will have solid offerings. From the breweries on the list that are attending, you probably cant go wrong with JAFB, Brew Kettle, Columbus Brewing, Jackie O's and MadTree. All make great IPA's. I'm sure the other offerings will be good as well.

dailyminefield and chrismattlin like this.
  14. Josbor11

Surprised to see Three Floyds on the list but they are bringing some good stuff as well.

15. chrismattlin

chrismattlin Savant (973) May 10, 2014 Ohio

Permanent Funeral is one of the best IPAs one could hope for. Too bad it's even more rare than Zombie Dust.

16. jampics2

jampics2 Poo-Bah (1,787) Dec 19, 2008 Ohio
    Society Trader

Let's hope this isn't a hold-back from the batch of PF that hit a few weeks ago. It was a disgusting shell of what that beer normally is.

New to Ohio - Three Floyds Red Death in 22's
    A foudre aged sour mixed with a cherry berliner. Good reviews so far!

GuyFawkes and Sabtos like this.
  17. GeoMalJr

GeoMalJr Initiate (63) Jun 23, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

I saw Grimm Super Going touched down a couple of weeks ago at Lizardville locations. Does anyone know if Rainbow Dome hit anywhere in NEO also?

18. KellyIPA

KellyIPA Initiate (27) Mar 6, 2010 Ohio

https://www.facebook.com/FatHeadsCLE/posts/10154486837420750

Fat Head's Jungle Juiced Head Headhunter IPA, Benjamin Danklin IPA, Centennial Fresh Hop IPA, & IBU-sive IPA

dailyminefield likes this.
  19. chrismattlin

I was lucky to snag a Permanent Funeral a few weeks ago- it was as good as it ever was! Maybe you got a bad bottle? Who knows.

And, yeah, I'm definitely trying to get my hands on a bottle of Red Death. My usual spot got skipped over on it yesterday. Luckily, being on the westside of Cincy, I'm only 15 minutes from a decent shop in Indiana. I'll roll the dice there tonight or tomorrow.

20. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (498) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

I dunno, I've had Permenent Funeral three times now, both (fresh) bottle and draft, and find it highly overrated. It's nothing special. Give me fresh Head Hunter, JuJu, Bodhi and others any day.

vrbulldog22, KSOZE, JohnnyMc and 2 others like this.
  21. BeerBuckeye

BeerBuckeye Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2009 Ohio

I've had that experience many times with Three Floyds. I think they make good beer, don't get me wrong, but I find myself thinking, "X Beer in Ohio is better and I don't have follow a truck around to get it once every 3 months"

JohnnyMc and williamDbar like this.
  22. williamDbar

williamDbar Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2012 Ohio

And pay 2-3x the amount

23. chrismattlin

C'mon @williamDbar, FFF isn't double or triple the price of anything comparable, and you know it. And honestly, I'm the furthest thing from a "truck chaser" and I have their stuff on hand pretty regularly. I mean, I don't live in the sticks, so maybe I'm getting better distro?

Personally, one of the biggest things that appeals to me is the scarcity; but not because it's rare, but that it's fresh. Especially the hoppy beers. When I see a 6er of Alpha King available for purchase, I buy it because to me, it's a perfectly balanced IPA and I know it'll be fresh.

Some of you guys are genuinely jaded by 3 Floyds and it shows by the sarcastic replies.
    Believe me, I'm not trying to be pushy or defensive whatsoever, I'm seriously just wondering why?

ODYSEYY likes this.
  24. BigSpeen3436

I used to think their beers were great, but honestly, after drinking so much head hunter, white rajah, Columbus IPA, Bodhi, Hop Juju, etc...I have found three floyds to be mediocre. All of those beers are going to be more fresh than anything from three floyds, rare or not, and personally, I think they are much more consistent than three floyds. So those are my reasons. Price isn't even a factor to me.

25. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,217) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

I think we're getting spoiled here, let's not look a gift horse in the mouth. FFF is distributing to Ohio like never before, and part of that is because of their attitude to some of the 'local' shops in Chicago. If we start giving them grief (or if our bottle shops start doing so), we'll probably see the hose pinched as well. Some of you don't realize how effing impossible it is for Chicagoans to score a FFF haul, of any kind.

To me, Permanent Funeral is hands down the best 'classic' American IIPA out there. Yes we get some really great fresh brews here from all around Ohio and elsewhere, and you pretty much still have to trade for PF, but, if I get a chance to drink it fresh I never turn it down.

VABA and GuyFawkes like this.
  26. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2012 Ohio

I can only speak personally (and certainly not for everyone), but it's pretty goddamn annoying to be asked a hundred times a day when 3 Floyds is coming in, what 3 Floyds do you have, do you have any 3 Floyds, etc when there are a TON of amazing, fresh, local Pale Ales, IPAs, DIPAs (even TIPAs) from some world class Ohio breweries that people don't care about just because they aren't rare/hard to get/3 Floyds.

Give me Fat Head's, JAFB, Columbus, Jackie O's, etc. over 3 Floyds. People just act annoying about their beer in Ohio for some reason. Not everyone thinks they are the end all be all of hoppy beer.

27. ohiobeer29

Bringing the thread back to Ohio ,we have a ton of great breweries in the Dayton area brewing some great beers. 3 Floyd's just doesn't have the pull it use to for me when there are breweries within a reasonable driving distance with beer just as good and better and it appears distribution of beers to Ohio in general has gotten a lot better for us in the last few years.we are spoiled here in ohio it's a great time to live here!

28. BeerBuckeye

It may not be like this in Cincy, but in Columbus, Three Floyd's still gets sold in many places like it's the most coveted beer to grace Ohio. Walked into a store last week with two cases of Alpha King, one bottle per customer, for $3.50 per bottle

I think Three Floyds makes good beer, I enjoy their beer when I have it, but it's a classic situation for me of the quality of their beer meeting the price it costs and lengths it takes to get more than a few bottles.

I can get a 4 pack of Bodhi for $9.99 that was bottled literally yesterday that I found at Kroger or a couple bottles of Alpha King for $3.50 each where I was just in the right place at the right time

I don't think Three Floyds makes bad or even mediocre beer, I just don't find it worth my time and money to seek it out.

williamDbar, cbjfan and tepie like this.
  29. tepie

Sibling Revelry IPA was a recent pick for me, grabbed a six pack, I've been happy with the choice. Is the tap room worth a visit?

Per the 3 floyds, I pass on it, same reasons as mentioned, you can get day old brew kettle, fat heads, platform and columbus, 4 or 6 packs, no chasing, no limits.

30. jampics2

Society Trader

So a beer that was first made in 2013 and features a crap ton of citra hops is now 'classic'??? The 2 week old batch of Dreadnaught that hit this week is bangin' tho..

Bonis and chrismattlin like this.
  31. Josbor11

Looks like Avon Brewing Co is going to be one of a few accounts in NEO to carry Hoof Hearted taps. They are supposed to tap Musk tomorrow.

JohnnyMc, BigSpeen3436 and Elkevjoe like this.
  32. jampics2

Society Trader

Some info on this year's Cleveland Beer Week collaboration beers. Obviously some info TBD but at least this gives a run-down of all the breweries and collaboration pairings:

Dark Stone Waters, a Belgian Stout with orange, collaboratively brewed by Great Lakes Brewing Company/Rocky River Brewing Company/Stoneyard Brewing (Brockport, NY)

"It's not Rocket Science", an American Strong Ale brewed with Rye, collaboratively brewed by Fathead’s Brewery and Saloon/Haufbrau Haus/Stoudts (Adamstown, PA)

Smokin' Ain't Easy, a smoked Scottish ale, collaboratively brewed by Market Garden Brewery/Goldhorn Brewery/Sibling Revelry Brewery (all local!)

Nord Coast Farmhouse Ale, a Norwegian Farmhouse ale using rare Norwegian strain of yeast. Also called a kveik. Collaboratively brewed by Willoughby Brewing Company/Forest City Brewery/Little Fish Brewing Co. (Athens, OH)

Côte du Nord, literal translation "Coast of the North", Sour petite saison. (%), collaboratively brewed by Butcher & Brewer/Brick and Barrel/Rhinegeist (Cincinnati, OH)

Unnamed as of Yet, an Ale with Heffe yeast, collaboratively brewed by Brew Kettle/Lagerheads Brewery /JAFB Wooster Brewery (Wooster, OH)

Unnamed as of Yet, collaboratively brewed by Platform Beer Co./Portside/Art Monster Brewing (South Korea)

Unnamed as of Yet, collaboratively brewed by Thirsty Dog Brewing Company /Long Live Beerworks (Providence, RI)

33. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,217) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

I honestly didn't know it was that young of a creation. To me it hits a lot of the West coast notes while also being unique and tasty enough in itself to surpass a lot of the top tier beers in that style.

VABA and GuyFawkes like this.
  34. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Disciple (343) Oct 20, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

I think it's a cool spot. They seem to be doing things right by starting with rather basic styles. The beers aren't mind-blowing of course, but I have enjoyed what I've had. I didn't love the IPA in the can, but have enjoyed it on draft the few times I've had it.

marcus23 and tepie like this.
  35. BeerBuckeye

Decent lineup at the Creeper release Saturday

Beer Station #1:
    • SFW
    • Thunderlips
    • Festbier
    • Bodhi
    • Creeper
    • BBB
    • Pilot X-19
    • Cream Ale
    • Jack's Ales for ALS
    • Sohio Stout
    • Pineapple Creeper
    Beer Station #2:
    • SFW
    • Cream Ale
    • Jack's Ales for ALS
    • Cucumber Bodhi

Beer Station # 3:
    • Festbier
    • Thunderlips
    • Pilot X-19
    • Citrus Blast Bodhi

Station #4 (Growlers Only)*
    • Pineapple Creeper
    • Citrus Blast Bodhi
    • Cucumber Bodhi
    • Sohio Stout

CaptCleveland likes this.
  36. gilligantrips

gilligantrips Initiate (82) Jun 4, 2015 Ohio

Anyone here go to the Bodhi release? I'm just looking to run in, buy bottles and leave. How long should it take?

37. cg123

Went to Avon Brewing for dinner last night with the family. Was very impressed with their beers. All were good to great. The Ohana Wheat was fantastic. Was listed as an American wheat with Citra and Mosaic conditioned on pineapple. Got zero pineapple in the flavor but didn't care because it was great. Our server also said that the beers were "brewed here." I thought about asking to the brewing equipment to see his response but didn't and just enjoyed my beers.

Food was OK and overpriced in my opinion. The space is still kinda dumpy, but it has been that way for the last couple of restaurants/bars that have been in that location. I attribute much of this to the age of the building.

Will definitely go back but probably just for some pints at the bar.

williamDbar likes this.
  38. williamDbar

williamDbar Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2012 Ohio

$12 for a Permanent Funeral or Acrtic Panzer, Dreadnaught...blah blah blah. Where the price for the same amount of liquid of Juju($6ish), Bodhi($5ish) and other double IPA's are in FACT a half the price of FFF. And better tasting IMO.

#2478 williamDbar, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    RayOhioFelton and JohnnyMc like this.
  39. BigSpeen3436

I went there for the first time last night as well. The Ohana Wheat and King Kokonut porter were very good. It will be a nice addition of places to drink good beer that are close to where I live.

williamDbar likes this.
  40. Ohiou84

Ohiou84 Initiate (132) May 6, 2014 Ohio

I went. Got there about an hour after the doors opened for the second session. Could have bought my allotment and left immediately. Can't speak to what happens if you get there at the beginning of the session. Good luck.

gilligantrips likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.