New to Ohio (2016)

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by jampics2, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. williamDbar

williamDbar Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2012 Ohio

Was told by those In-Bev the know...haha that was a bad joke, that they are having issues again with infections and bad barrels. Got their barrels from Japan and a wild sake yeast strain is ruining some things. Ohio was obviously the last to get any allocation. They were actually skimming off of other states. So with infection issues we are the first ones to lose allocation. Does that mean we won't see any, nope. Will we see less than intended? Sure. But we were gonna get less than other states just for the pure fact we were late into the game. I too heard of the Lizardville Black Friday events, and the Lizard Only Bourbon County only variant. But it's all hearsay till it actually is announced and happens.

BigSpeen3436 likes this.
  2. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Disciple (343) Oct 20, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

There's only one place I will be on Black Friday and that is the Rozi's patio.

GHC, marcus23, BigSpeen3436 and 3 others like this.
  3. RayOhioFelton

RayOhioFelton Initiate (0) May 24, 2011 Ohio
    Deactivated

I would like to be in bed black Friday. I never do any of the shopping. But beer...so yeah ill be out there.

Dachs and williamDbar like this.
  4. djtothemoney

djtothemoney Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio

Cappy's in Loveland has started getting beer from MIA Brewing as well as J Dubs in the Miami, Fl area. Dunno if they have been elsewhere in Ohio though.

5. BigSpeen3436

BigSpeen3436 Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2013 Ohio

My bro will be in town sans children for the first time. Can't wait!

6. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2012 Ohio

We got the J Dubs Blueberry IPA in at my store this week. Canned June of this year. June.....not very fresh for an IPA so I sent it back.

7. Oopssorryy

Oopssorryy Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2016 Ohio

Found out today Lancaster had a brewery. Rockmill is the name, and after discovering it I very quickly visited. A really beautiful property with some nice brews. If you are down this way you should really think about checking it out, though it is on a bit of a back ass road.

cbjfan and ohiobeer29 like this.
  8. ohiobeer29

ohiobeer29 Defender (649) Feb 2, 2013 Ohio

Nice to see craft breweries helping each other out thought this was pretty cool shout out to Mother Stewart's Brewing Company

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=642905055867606&substory_index=0&id=617652395059539

We ( L. Hoster Brewing Company)
    owe a HUGE thank you to Mother Stewart's Brewing Co for giving us a hand while we prepare to scale up!

We will be self-producing Hoster Gold Top on a monthly basis at their state-of-the-art facility and beautiful brewery in Springfield, with our first batch ready in November!

Be sure to check them out!

9. pyite

pyite Initiate (176) Feb 25, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

Yup nice little place on the expensive side for bottles but they hit the spot sometimes. Really cool setup taboot

10. ClePaul

ClePaul Zealot (599) May 30, 2013 Ohio

#2570 ClePaul, Oct 8, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    tepie likes this.
  11. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,221) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Milllersburg! Millersburg? Wowzers!

Well, congrats are in order, irregardless :wink:

12. ClePaul

Also looks like Fat Heads took 'Mid-size brewer' of the year as well.

13. cg123

cg123 Initiate (109) Feb 27, 2012 Ohio

Actually they didn't. Awkward mix-up by the BA.

“During competition registration, Karl Strauss Brewing Co. self-identified their San Diego location as a Mid-Size Brewpub. After the award ceremony, GABF competition staff realized that this was inaccurate: this location is, in fact, a Mid-Size Brewing Company. Karl Strauss, while it operates brewpubs, is classified as a production facility by GABF competition guidelines.

After reassigning Karl Strauss to the Mid-Size Brewing Company category, and recalculating the Brewery of the Year results, it resulted that Karl Strauss was the winner of the Mid-Size Brewing Company of the Year category. In addition, Boxing Bear Brewing Co. is the resulting winner of the Mid-Size Brewpub of the Year category.

All of us with the Great American Beer Festival and the Brewers Association deeply regret this error. Fat Head’s Brewery & Saloon, which had originally been identified as the Mid-Size Brewing Company of the Year, had a very strong performance in the competition, winning a gold medal in the German-Style Wheat Ale category, a silver medal in Other Strong Beer, and a bronze medal in Fresh or Wet Hop Ale. They were among the top medal-winning breweries in the 2016 competition.

Congratulations to all of the winners in the most-entered Great American Beer Festival competition ever.”

www.brewersassociation.org/press-releases/2016-great-american-beer-festival/

14. ClePaul

Fat Heads is still the winner in my book... so the BA can kick rocks with moccasins!

15. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,221) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

They kinda should have that type of statistical/classification data sorted out months in advance maybe...lol. Oh well.

VABA likes this.
  16. ClePaul

Homerism aside... I think it's completely BS. They already gave Fat Heads the plaque. It would be like when the referees miscall a game. You already made the call... You cant change your mistake. It doesn't matter. I'm A NEO/Ohio homer anyway. So what they say carries lil clout with me personally. I think they blew the call though.

17. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,162) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

I saw this when I started scrolling through the winners list. Since it says "aged" category, I am guessing it is the barreled version they did which they bottled. I never tried it because it mentioned Jack Daniels barrels (though if my memory serves correctly, it was a mix of barrels) which did not interest me because I don't care for JD. Looks like I was wrong. FWIW, I think their black lager is solid.

Also, congratulations to Fat Heads. Good to see a great, well rounded brewery get some props. When are they going to bottle these repeat winners though, and do at least a semi annual Ju Ju release? CBC is cranking out Bodhi every few weeks. Certainly they can bottle it twice a year as mid sized brewery of the year:slight_smile:

Sabtos and VABA like this.
  18. BigSpeen3436

BigSpeen3436 Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2013 Ohio

I just want to bring up again how awesome it is that CBC is now bottling Bodhi, Creeper, etc...I can't wait for Yakima Fresh Hop and Citra Noel. This has been a YUGE year for them.

Nate, Dan_Bowman, williamDbar and 3 others like this.
  19. Sinzanasti

Sinzanasti Aspirant (212) Apr 3, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Anyone know release date on Yakima? I'm excited about this as well...no need to waste money on Founders Harvest anymore

Dan_Bowman and Swettenham_Shire like this.
  20. Sorithin

Sorithin Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2016 Ohio

Anyone know if there's any Champion Ground left anywhere? I know it's a long shot but worth a try.

21. ClePaul

They had it at Chesterland RW&B last night. I was able to weasl one outta them. But they like to recognize ya.

22. SheKnows

SheKnows Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2013 Ohio

Any Creeper bottles still around in Cbus?

23. neelonjm

neelonjm Initiate (48) Jul 13, 2015 Ohio

There were 6 left at Wine Spot Saturday afternoon, they might be worth a shot.

24. jampics2

jampics2 Poo-Bah (1,787) Dec 19, 2008 Ohio
    Society Trader

I'll just leave this here:[​IMG]

BT_Bobandy, Nate, purephase and 6 others like this.
  25. CapCollector16

CapCollector16 Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2015 Ohio

Speaking of that, are they doing Hop Stalker bottles or cans this year ?

26. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,162) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

Those 4 packs of pounder cans are long gone when you can charge the same for 12 oz. bottles

joltinmatt likes this.
  27. ryhayes

ryhayes Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2013 Ohio

I saw at least 2 cases in the cooler at UA Market District today. Doesn't look like there is any limit. Enjoy!

ohiobeer29 likes this.
  28. tepie

tepie Initiate (80) Aug 26, 2015 Ohio

Lame

29. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Disciple (343) Oct 20, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

They're releasing Hop Stalker at the Tap House on Thursday.

WesMantooth likes this.
  30. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2010 Ohio

Does this mean what I hope it means?!

jampics2 likes this.
  31. gilligantrips

gilligantrips Initiate (82) Jun 4, 2015 Ohio

CBC's twitter says Yakima's tentative bottling date is next Monday.

Nate, JohnnyMc, BigSpeen3436 and 3 others like this.
  32. SheKnows

SheKnows Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2013 Ohio

I'm assuming you mean the market district giant eagle?

ryhayes likes this.
  33. cg123

cg123 Initiate (109) Feb 27, 2012 Ohio

It might not. They have a few logo's for beers that have not been packaged. Midnight Moonlight, Benjamin Danklin, Prohibition Pauly, etc.

34. CapCollector16

CapCollector16 Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2015 Ohio

Going to be in canton for work Thursday, any good bottle shops in the area worth checking out?

35. petrusek23

petrusek23 Disciple (322) Feb 22, 2016 Ohio
    Trader

Fishers Foods on Fulton has a really good selection and 12 beers on tap at their growler station.
    Butts and Brews on 62 in canton toward Alliance.
    Erik's Grocery Bag on Maple St in North Canton.
    Wales Road One Stop in Massillon.

36. miketd

miketd Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2006 Ohio

From what I was told, ibusive is going to replace Shakedown as the Winter seasonal.

jminch, JohnnyMc, BT_Bobandy and 9 others like this.
  37. UcDru

UcDru Devotee (429) Aug 15, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

This makes me happy. My favorite fathead beer

38. ryhayes

ryhayes Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2013 Ohio

sorry, yes Upper Arlington

39. BT_Bobandy

BT_Bobandy Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2011 Ohio

Lulz at the IBUsive logo. Glad that's getting the treatment. Awesome beer.

40. williamDbar

williamDbar Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2012 Ohio

New HIGH ABV Bruery beers to hit this week:

Melange #14
    Blue BBLS
    Poterie
    Chronology 6

Nate, WesMantooth, marcus23 and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.