New to Ohio??

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Justin_Neff, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BB1313

BB1313 Poo-Bah (2,255) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio

Simone's in Lakewood got some on Wednesday..

2. Keffa

Keffa Defender (630) Jan 8, 2009 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Since when did we get Prairie?

3. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Aspirant (235) Oct 20, 2007 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Prairie landed as few weeks ago. 'Merica and Funky Galaxy are the only ones that have come so far.

4. robconoclast

robconoclast Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2012 Ohio

A former coworker who now works for Superior told me that their wharehouse has Deschutes stocking up and ready to go. As for Bakwoods Bastard Rozi's posted via twitter & instagram that it came in a couple days ago.

5. BB1313

BB1313 Poo-Bah (2,255) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio

Great, so it'll be sitting in a warehouse for a couple months before it shelves..

6. jampics2

jampics2 Meyvn (1,455) Dec 19, 2008 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Superior isn't distributing Deschutes, Heidelburg/Rampant is.

Spider889 and davemathews68 like this.
  7. robconoclast

robconoclast Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2012 Ohio

:(
    Hmmm...didn't working with the guy like the guy anyways

8. Justin_Neff

Justin_Neff Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2012 Ohio

Does anyone know of any devestation still hanging around in CBus or Cincy?

9. Spider889

Spider889 Meyvn (1,055) Mar 24, 2010 Ohio
    Industry Beer Trader

I'd love to know as well, I managed a bottle a couple weeks back and thought it was superb.

10. MajorBuckeye

MajorBuckeye Aspirant (288) Jan 8, 2012 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Attention Central Ohio.....since I'm not a member of the Secret Black Note Society...WOB apparently has a keg of Black Note and says to "stay tuned".

jminch likes this.
  11. Bonis

Bonis Defender (623) Jul 28, 2010 Ohio

Agreed. Isn't that roughly a $4 and $5 mark up for Lolita and Juliet? For what?.. 15 more milliliters and a fancy bottle... dumb.

12. klek

klek Aspirant (238) Mar 16, 2010 Ohio
    Subscriber

They were actually 650 ml bottles before, so this is 115 ml more.

13. Keffa

Beer Trader

Which is roughly a 1 dollar per oz increase, which is still ridiculous.

14. REDSOXIPAGUY

REDSOXIPAGUY Aspirant (242) Sep 16, 2013 Ohio
    Beer Trader

ACME in Montrose has a ton of it. i just picked up a 6 pack last night.

15. toolbrew

toolbrew Defender (684) Feb 26, 2008 Illinois
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Anyone know if the Goose Island BCS variants will be in Columbus on Black Friday? I'll be in from Chicago and won't be able to attend the release event there.

16. BorisKarloff

BorisKarloff Aspirant (200) Apr 29, 2013 Ohio
    Beer Trader

All of the Bourbon County variants are over 12% so we unfortunately won't see any of them here.

17. riemster

riemster Devotee (454) Mar 17, 2011 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I feel like you're trolling us. :( Living in Ohio sucks sometimes.

If you're being sincere, then sorry. We don't get that stuff.

18. toolbrew

toolbrew Defender (684) Feb 26, 2008 Illinois
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Sorry I had forgotten about the abv limit. Not trolling - legit inquiry.

Any places I should check out? Or local brews? I am planning on visiting the Ohio taproom and crafted drafts.

19. REDSOXIPAGUY

REDSOXIPAGUY Aspirant (242) Sep 16, 2013 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Backwoods Bastard at Save-On in Mentor...just an fyi

20. BorisKarloff

Beer Trader

When it comes to bottled beer in Columbus, either Anderson's or Weilands are definitely the best in terms of selection. The Ohio Taproom is awesome (a good friend of mine works there) since they're the only place in the city that I'm aware of that counter pressure fills their growlers.

I highly recommend picking up some Columbus IPA (or Bodhi if you find it on draft anywhere - no bottles unfortunately), any Rivertown sours (they're hanging around at a few places in Columbus) and Brew Kettle's White Rajah.

21. BeerBuckeye

BeerBuckeye Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2009 Ohio
    Beer Trader

And Head Hunter!

22. ryhayes

ryhayes Initiate (161) Jan 21, 2013 Ohio

Anderson's Sawmill posted GL Xmas Ale is in again...but at $13.99 a sixer. Everywhere else it has been $11.99. While I don't consider this a gouge, I just thought it my civic BA duty to call them out on it. This is a shame, because every time I have gotten hard to get things there, i.e. Three Floyd's and some Stone releases, they have always been at minimum. I figured they were the last to get a little gravy on the chin. Oh well.... Gentile's got some yesterday and sold it and 12 Dogs for $11.99.

23. BeerBuckeye

BeerBuckeye Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2009 Ohio
    Beer Trader

If I recall, the same thing happened at Weiland's last year with a higher price on GL Xmas.

24. BorisKarloff

Beer Trader

No reason to go anywhere but your local chain supermarket for Great Lakes Christmas Ale, really - it's all over the place so paying $2 extra per 6 pack is highly unnecessary.

jminch, ddedhed and ryhayes like this.
  25. ddedhed

ddedhed Devotee (401) Dec 4, 2012 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I just picked up a sixer of GL Christmas Ale for $8.99 at a Target! Everywhere else is $11.99. Obviously, I don't go to Target to buy beer, but I will always keep my eyes open in the future.

26. rustedhouse

rustedhouse Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2009 Connecticut

Quick Q... I'll be staying in Galena, near polaris, for thxgiving. Where is the best bottle shop to find select ohio/middle america beers? I'm coming from CT, a different crop out here. I usually end up going to meijers for IPAs, but there has to be some specific bottle shops, no?

27. BorisKarloff

Beer Trader

If you're near Polaris then Aficionado's is the place to go - they've easily got the best selection out there.

ryhayes likes this.
  28. taalhiker

taalhiker Initiate (121) Aug 26, 2008 Ohio

Goose Island Ten Hills pale ale showed up at a Kroger in Centerville, OH yesterday. Bottle date was 11/7/13!
    Very nice pale ale. 6.2% - 'Made with wheat' warning on the back label. And nicely priced @ $7.99 - all GI beers are currently on sale @ Kroger.

Vonstein15 likes this.
  29. Bogforce

Bogforce Disciple (332) Sep 2, 2010 Ohio

Buckeye Lake Brewery Christmas Ale is now on tap at the brewery. And they now have one gallon growlers!!!!

30. Neary

Neary Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2013 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Oskar Blues has finally made it to NW OHio

31. BEEER

BEEER Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2013 Ohio

Great Lakes Christmas Ale at $11.99/6pk in the Cleveland area is still a ripoff. I think it was $9 or $10 just a couple years ago and sold out once, and the media took hold of it and had a xmas ale blurb every night on the news for a month. GL ramped up production and now the stores are flooded with it every year. There are 10 other options for cheaper. GL xmas ale was good, because it was the only local option. Now that there are others, there's no reason it should be $12. Only a matter of time until they make it $10/4pk...lol

Still cheaper/better than Hopping Frog's $8/9 bomber...fuck them.

32. Bogforce

Bogforce Disciple (332) Sep 2, 2010 Ohio

Hoppin frog is the king of overpriced. All of their is overpriced.

jminch and REDSOXIPAGUY like this.
  33. Trystero

Trystero Aspirant (265) Jul 28, 2009 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I just saw that Beerpulse listed label approval for Jackie O's Hop Ryot cans.

BB1313, MajorBuckeye and BorisKarloff like this.
  34. jampics2

jampics2 Meyvn (1,455) Dec 19, 2008 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Sorry, I disagree wholeheartedly. First off, their beer is world class, which is more than you can say about 90% of the crap out there. Not to mention, their BA beers are the same damn price as Great Lakes, Revolution, etc. I paid $40 for a BA stout bomber at Three Floyds last week. Calling HF the king of overpriced isn't accurate at all.

Because they're too classy to bother posting in this cesspool, on behalf of the good people at HF, right back at ya!

35. Justin_Neff

Justin_Neff Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2012 Ohio

Anybody tried Stone Crime & Punishment? Still trying to figure out if they're worth the $20 tag.

36. MajorBuckeye

Beer Trader

Columbus - World of Beer @ Easton has some timed taps for their 1-year anniversary tomorrow.

Highlights include Zombie Dust @ 2:00 PM and KBS @ 8:00 PM.

jminch and MrRockstar like this.
  37. IroquoisPlisken

IroquoisPlisken Initiate (0) May 21, 2013 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Maybe it has less to do with them being overpriced and more to do with you being too cheap? I find their wares to be reasonably priced, including their barrel aged products.

38. nvlps

nvlps Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2013 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Let's not get a good thread nuked because of a dead horse Hopping Frog argument turning into attacks on each other.

ryhayes, Justin_Neff and riemster like this.
  39. Keffa

Beer Trader

Agreed. Keep it civil fellas.

40. MajorBuckeye

Beer Trader

davemathews68 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe