New Trump Tariffs Target Scotch, Wine, Cheese. That Means One Thing: Beer Season Is Here.

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,979) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

https://www.fatherly.com/love-money/trump-tariffs-scotch-wine-cheese-beer-market/

TL;DR: Invest in beer.

2. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,827) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

So I am "safer" with Irish Whiskey? Bought some Powers Gold Label today. ;

Beer IS where it's at though. Prost!

3. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,126) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

Napa, Sonoma, Willamette valley, columbia valley etc... so don't worry about the wine anyways.

4. Longhorn08

Longhorn08 Aspirant (229) Feb 4, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Isn’t it always beer season???

5. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,938) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Wait until Brexit hits, the price of Scotch might get a bit weird, so thank god for Kentucky Bourbon.

6. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,850) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I tried to do that but, after renting the safe deposit box I found out that not only is the room not kept at cellar temps., the largest one my local bank had could barely fit a case of beer!

It's like in the 90s, when they told me I should put my retirement IRA in CDs. OK, what do I know? So, I did, but now I see them being sold for a buck each at flea markets, everybody is downloading "digital albums" (whatever they are) and the big bucks is in old vinyl - of which I only have about 200 albums left having sold most of them previously. (I did get $200 for that UK Beatles box set that I bought in the 80s and probably never even played every side of every album.)

7. NYRunner

NYRunner Initiate (56) Nov 5, 2018 New York

The purpose of a tariff - originally, anyway - is to stimulate domestic production. Therefore, a high tariff on imported cars, for example, would stimulate the American auto industry: if the foreign product became more expensive, Americans would choose not to pay the tariff by buying the domestic product, which would stimulate demand for it, increase production and so forth.

Whether or not our current government understands that tariffs were never really designed to apply to agricultural products is a whole other question.

The United States is already self-sufficient in grain, so whether or not a tariff on Scotch would affect American beer production remains to be seen.

8. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,828) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society Trader

Bourbon and American whisk(e)y season is here, too.

RIP "Other Beverages" Forum place :cry::cry::cry:

9. jjboesen

jjboesen Meyvn (1,222) Feb 1, 2002 Maryland

My state has a 9% sales tax on beer. Tariffs on scotch is not a big threat to me.

PatrickCT and Premo88 like this.
  10. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (179) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

It is all still going to be cheaper in a relative sense than 20 dollar 4 packs of NEIPAS!

dcotom, Alefflicted, beergoot and 3 others like this.
  11. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (11,032) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Very good point @thedaveofbeer, beer will not get cheaper, nor will it not increase in price. In fact, even with wine you might see a slight increase as demand will rise as foreign competition is stifled. The same is true for American whiskeys - it's not like they can increase production to make up for increased demand, that takes years and they've already been under pressure to put out more. The one place we're probably in good shape is with cheese. Of course you won't have the wide variety that you've been used to if you're a big cheese fan, but Americans have been making great cheese for many years. Keep in mind, however, that most of the best are still small producers and those creameries won't be able to increase production on a whim.

stevepat and Premo88 like this.
  12. Premo88

Society Trader

Good news at least at one of my bottle shops is they're claiming they won't raise prices until their current stocks are depleted, which they claim won't run out for months. We'll see. I bought a couple I've been wanting today as a kind of tiny mini-panic buy:
    [​IMG]

13. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,715) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

American artisanal cheese makers (who are doing amazing work) have nowhere near the capacity to make up for a loss of imported cheeses. A large percentage of my company's sales are imported cheese and we have been living under the threat of 100% tariffs on all cheeses from the EU. The 25% tariff on Italian cheeses alone is painful but bearable. If he follows through on the 100% tariff across-the-board it will be the end of our 99 year old business. And we won't be alone.

AirBob, stevepat and Premo88 like this.
  14. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (11,032) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good to note. So essentially tariffs are not going to help us in any way, at least in the short term, which is probably about a decade for cheese and wine, and even more for whiskeys. Yeah, this is not a win, this is a loss across the board. Unless this trade war can carry on for a few decades to the point that it will re-adjust American production and consumption (which is highly unlikely) it will likely do nothing more than disrupt things on both sides. Sad.

15. DIM

Society

There is so much more that I want to say, but this is not the forum for it. I just don't think the current Administration understands how interdependent all the world's economies are. I'm not worried though, trade wars are easy to win, right? Right?

ichorNet, jmdrpi, RC51Mike and 4 others like this.
  16. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (179) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

For everyone's sake, I hope that doesn't happen!

Premo88 and DIM like this.
  17. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (73) Mar 16, 2018 District of Columbia

Next up! Tariffs on imported beer, targeting especially Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, and Mexico!

18. rgordon

rgordon Savant (973) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I keep Talisker 10 year old and Johnny Walker Black for drinking a few. Scotch Whiskey just sorta comes naturally for me.

Premo88 likes this.
  19. rgordon

I know of a "fellow" that plays with tariffs like a game of craps. I don't like anyone playing with my family's future..

20. alucard6679

alucard6679 Aspirant (225) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

Damn, both are fantastic

rgordon and Premo88 like this.
  21. Premo88

Society Trader

And as I thought about it, 25% more for Tomatin 12 (about $30) isn't really that big a deal. But 25% more for Glenfarclas 17 ($115 here in town) ... what is that? Pushing $150+? Nope, not paying that when I can pay $115 and I want it right now anyway.

Again, though, I'd encourage whisky drinkers to ask at their local shops about the tariff. No sense in pulling a run on the bank "It's a Wonderful Life" style if unnecessary.

And thanks to those of you with level heads offering good insight into this thing. I'm business stupid, so I'm learning while y'all are speaking.

rgordon and alucard6679 like this.
  22. DIM

Society

Also, it is unlikely that the entire 25% would be passed on to the consumer. The producer, wholesaler, retailer, as well as the consumer will likely share in the increased cost.

Premo88 likes this.
  23. rgordon

For me, a little good Scotch stretches through time. I know the times where I would like to sit and think with a fine foreign distillate. This is the reason and truth.

Premo88 likes this.
  24. Premo88

Society Trader

For a beer drinker, it *is* the reason and the truth. Pure barley malt ambrosia.

25. jjboesen

jjboesen Meyvn (1,222) Feb 1, 2002 Maryland

Next week, we discuss tariffs and their effects on the price of German sportscars.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  26. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (455) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Thanks, Obama :rolling_eyes:

Raime and RC51Mike like this.
  27. Raime

Raime Meyvn (1,299) Jun 4, 2012 Greenland

7D chess I'm sure.

Or something like that.

28. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Initiate (140) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Trader

Prices for both have been going steadily up for years

That said, I'm pleased to see the Glendronach Revival back on shelves, and for not much more than their twelve

alucard6679 and nc41 like this.
  29. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,938) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

This will probably be deleted for content like the others. Popularity and distribution always make things trends up.

thesherrybomber likes this.
  30. eppCOS

eppCOS Savant (996) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

That does it. I'm voting with my liver in 2020.

31. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (455) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Quite sensible honestly

32. K-jack211

K-jack211 Initiate (117) Jun 22, 2014 Michigan

What else can you really trust in this day and age?

ManBearPat likes this.