Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Next Best Thing To Heady Topper or Pliny?

Discussion in 'New England' started by TechMarcom, Sep 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TechMarcom

TechMarcom Apr 8, 2011 Massachusetts

For those of us in Massachusetts and southern New Hampshire that can’t get Pliny at all and can only get Heady Toper via driving to Vermont, are there any other Imperial IPAs that belong in the same category as these two hop stars? Any that can be more easily found around here - especially in the Lowell/Nashua/Manchester areas?

2. VelvetExtract

VelvetExtract Jan 10, 2010 Massachusetts

Gandhi Bot! Gotta go to CT for it though.

3. Providence

Providence Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

I don't know how the hops in Gandhi Bot compare to the hops in Heady, but I have always loved Gandhi Bot and if for some reason Heady was erased from the earth it'd be my favorite DIPA.

ScottieD and RMoeNay like this.
  4. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Dec 9, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

To the OP: The simple answer is Yes, there are IPAs/DIPAs that belong in the same category. Problem is, to get them, you need to drive farther north in VT than Waterbury. Bottom Line: If I want Heady Topper or a Hill Farmstead beer, I drive up to Vermont and make a weekend out of it. So...if you want Heady Topper or Hill Farmstead, drive up to Vermont. It's closer to you than to me and you could probably do it in a daytrip.

5. patm1986

patm1986 Aug 11, 2010 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

If you're just interested in an overall answer, look North to VT again. IMO, Abner bests all. In fact, look to the North for all.

6. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Jun 18, 2012 Michigan

DRIPA by Kuhnhenn. I haven't had Heady Topper or Pliny, but I figure they'd be nothing like Hopslam... still, Hopslam. Always Hopslam.

7. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Lunch
    Captain Lawrence Imperial IPA

nolanz14 and utopiajane like this.
  8. Kadonny

Kadonny Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

It's not a DIPA and you probably can't get it in Mass., but I just had some Fat Heads Head Hunter and it was freaking fantastic! It's a pretty high ABV, so it's close to a DIPA, just not classified as one. Great, great beer.

valdieu2 likes this.
  9. Andrew041180

Andrew041180 Mar 15, 2013 Massachusetts

FrankLloydMike, teeeebs and Horbar like this.
  10. TechMarcom

TechMarcom Apr 8, 2011 Massachusetts

Thanks -- really hoping for one I can just get locally rather than an hour or more drive. Something avaiable in Acton MA, Chelmsford MA , Nashua NH, or even Manchester NH (work) would be preferable.

11. utopiajane

utopiajane Jun 11, 2013 New York

Enjoy By is plenty good and you can find it almost everywhere :) Sammyjaxxx beat me to the captain lawrence DIPA. That one is plenty good also.

12. jmogator

jmogator Jun 20, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Have you tried Mass Rising by Jack's Abby? Technically a DIPL, but pretty damn tasty! It's my go-to ipa other than heady now.

13. Horbar

Horbar Feb 24, 2012 Rhode Island

Tree House Julius holds it's own with any IPA/DIPA.

MLaVioletteJr and VelvetExtract like this.
  14. dennho

dennho Oct 29, 2006 New York

15. fistfight

fistfight Jan 13, 2006 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Jack's Abby Kiwi Rising is coming in the near future and Mass Rising is already here. I bought a few bottles of Mass Rising in Chelmsford. And the new Enjoy By is coming out soon I think.

di6792243 and VelvetExtract like this.
  16. LOCAL

LOCAL Oct 29, 2006 New Hampshire

The cans of Wachusetts Larry are a pretty good offering for the area.

naloxone, nolanz14, BRYeleJR and 2 others like this.
  17. PEIhop

PEIhop Dec 2, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Trillium is making some great hoppy ales - fort point and tiny chicken were pretty killer

18. meadnbrew

meadnbrew Feb 6, 2013 Rhode Island

Fisherman's Dead Eye DIPA by Cape Ann is so underrated. Bottle this ASAP!

ICCULIS and dinosvino like this.
  19. Jwale73

Jwale73 Aug 15, 2007 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

Was just thinking the same thing. Had it on-draft at Peppercorn's last weekend and was pretty impressed. They were selling cans - hoping that will become a permanent thing.

20. ElGallo

ElGallo Sep 26, 2009 New Hampshire

Lunch, Sculpin, Be Hoppy, and soon enough Lagunitas Sucks. Plenty of good IPA/DIPA options in central New England year round. :D

naloxone likes this.
  21. BRYeleJR

BRYeleJR May 18, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I'll second the recommendation of Larry from Wachusett. Very good DIPA that you can find in 22 oz. bottles and also cans now. (8.5 percent, 85 IBUs). Mass Rising (formerly the 2nd Anniversary DIPL) from Jack's Abby is also very, very good. Drinking a Quarter Mile from Blue Hills Brewing at the moment, and while it's not in the same category as Pliny or Heady, it's worth a shot.

I think you're looking for more beers in Mass. or NH that are readily available, but if you do make it to VT, check out Lawson's Double Sunshine. So often everyone talks about Heady and Pliny, but I think Double Sunshine is as good as either of those.

naloxone likes this.
  22. iflah45

iflah45 Jul 8, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Trillium Beaver Hat. Had this for the first time a week ago and holy balls is it incredible. Rivals anything that Alchemist, Lawson's, and HF puts out. The Northeast is officially hop heaven.

23. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Backlash Catalyst.

New batch just came out recently in both bottles & draft. Heard positive reports on their Outbreak DIPA as well.

24. MVP09

MVP09 Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Larry gets my vote.

Be Choppy and Hopulence are solis

25. BrianTheBrewer30

BrianTheBrewer30 Nov 17, 2009 Massachusetts

So I just moved back from the San Diego area to the Boston MA area. I am wondering what you guys consider the best IPA/DIPA there is in New England? Heady Topper is already known. Same as Hill Farmstead IPA's/DIPA's and Lawsons. Vermont is amazing (we all know). What else is out there?

26. mrcraft

mrcraft Dec 15, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Maine Beer Co. Lunch is solid though not quite up to the ones you listed above.

27. DougC123

DougC123 Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut
    Subscriber

Ghandi Bot and Ithica Flower Power are excellent.

28. ChrisChagnon

ChrisChagnon Jul 9, 2013 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Ghandi Bot for DIPA and Julius for IPA

29. nolanz14

nolanz14 Aug 31, 2009 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Based upon my experience:

Breweries
    • Trillium - FPPA, Dry Stack and Tiny Chicken are all outstanding.
    • Tree House - haven't had Julius but Sap is amazing
    Available at select stores:
    • Wachusett Larry - really great DIPA and only gets better w/ 6-pack of cans
    • Ithaca Flower Power - really outstanding IPA and deserves the reputation
    That being said I'm heading up to Vermont on Sunday and cannot wait to try more Heady, Lawsons and Hill Farmstead.

30. MattXT

MattXT Nov 23, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Outside of Heady, my go to (I)IPAs are Gandhi, Larry, Julius, and Flower Power.

blckout20 likes this.
  31. Joe_Grizzly

Joe_Grizzly Jul 27, 2013 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

def agree with larry

i've only had Eb 9-13-13

comparing that to headdy is like

askin someone to pick between drinking a strangers piss and fresh well water

32. willbm3

willbm3 Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

Newburyport Green Head IPA is eerily reminiscent of Heady

33. CSDaSmack

CSDaSmack Jul 26, 2012 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Alot have been mentioned I was gonna toss out there (Julius, Ghandi), Sea Hag however is a fantastic IPA, often overshadowed by Ghandi's popularity IMO.

Also, Fuzzy Baby Ducks is also fantastic, unfortunately it only lasts 1 week a year if that and is brewery only in growlers.

averagjoe3 likes this.
  34. JTreehorn

JTreehorn Sep 11, 2013 Massachusetts

I will second Wormtown's "Be Hoppy" and Trillium's "Fort Point", Maine Beer Co's "Lunch" & "Another One" , also a fan of Ithaca's "Flower Power" and Unita's "Hop Notch". Definitely check out Rising Tide's Calcutta Cutter which is just appearing in stores. Not sure if it's going to be a regular release but certainly worth grabbing.

FrankLloydMike likes this.
  35. ChrisChagnon

ChrisChagnon Jul 9, 2013 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Passed on Lunch today $8.99 for a 16ish oz bottle (just outrageous), grabbed a 4pk of Ghandi Bot for 12.99 with tax. G-bot > most

36. rdilauro

rdilauro Mar 8, 2010 Connecticut
    Subscriber

I've never had any of the Pliny's, but luckily I have had many Heady Toppers. (not via retail stores)
    Its very hard to try to match one of those against another beer, but I have a few that I do enjoy (while I do not have any Heady's)

Ithaca - Flower Power
    Sixpoint - Resin
    Stone - Ruination

And I am not concerned if those are IPAs, DIPAS, Imperial IPAs, but to me they have the hoppy power combine with proper balance to give you one hell of a beer

37. bring

bring Aug 17, 2005 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Have to disagree with this.

di6792243 and ICCULIS like this.
  38. yuppiescum

yuppiescum Jun 4, 2009 Massachusetts

Narragansett.

39. WesFoxlove

WesFoxlove Jun 12, 2013 Massachusetts

I know you're not going to find it in stores locally, and I know FFF and BA classifies it as an American Pale - But now that this topic has branches out a little, I think you definitely have to include 'Zombie Dust' in this hoppy "Next Best" conversation.

As for some slightly more LOCAL options - I'm a huge fan of the Marshall Wharf canned offerings... Fresh 'Can't Dog' is awesome, but I think fresh 'Ace Hole' should definitely be on your list if you like Heady. It's NOT Heady, but if that's your thing (and why wouldn't it be) and you can get over the border into Maine, I'd say grab some fresh 'Ace Hole' cans. Tasty stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe