Next Exit: Episode 4, "Philadelphia Craft Beer & The City of Beery Love"

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JackHorzempa, Sep 27, 2022.

1. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,821) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Last week, Next Exit: Episode 3 took us to Brooklyn. This week, Next Exit: Episode 4, "Philadelphia Craft Beer & The City of Beery Love" takes us to Fermentery Form, Human Robot, ReAnimator Coffee, and Monk's Café.

Cheers!

Next Exit, Season One:

heymikew and Bouleboubier like this.
  2. JackHorzempa

Society

One of the breweries that Kenny visits is Human Robot. Human Robot sponsored a lager beer festival this summer which they brand as Logjammin’. I attended this festival and it was great! Below is a short summary I provided in a past thread about Logjammin’

The ‘highlight’ is that there were many breweries there and every beer I had was a ‘keeper’ – no beers were dumped.

My wife and I got there early and we were fortunate they let us get in when we arrived. There was a very long line for Bierstadt and we wisely decided to get in that long line to get two pours of the Slow Pour Pils which the beertender did pour very slowly (3-5 minutes for a pour). The beer was pretty to look at (see photo below) and while I enjoyed drinking that beer there were several other Pilsners there just as good (and some better).

[​IMG]

Tonewood was there with two beers (Foeder Lager and Dry Hopped Pilsner) and I enjoyed both of those beers.

Schilling was there and I drank their Polotmavý which I thought was good.

There were a couple/few Czech Dark Lagers and I enjoyed the one from Deciduous Brewing.

I drank a lot of locally brewed lagers (Human Robot, Attic, Trauger, Mainstay,…) and every one of those beers brought a smile to my face while drinking them.

The beer which was ‘best of show’ for me was a Keller Pils from Bonn Place, that beer was excellent.

The other highlight for me was getting a chance to speak to beer industry folks for extended conversations: Jack Hendler of Jack’s Abby, Jeremy Myers of Trauger and a number of others.

It was indeed a great time!

Cheers!

3. AlfromPA

AlfromPA Initiate (81) Dec 9, 2021 Pennsylvania

Great little film-- I would have loved to learn more about how the solera process at Fermentery Form works. Do they draw it out of the barrels on top and then somehow get it into the barrels below? It's a really interesting place--they don't actually brew the beer--they acquire the wort from another brewery (Human Robot, nearby?)--their whole thing is the fermentation and the solera process.

4. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,563) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

Bonn Place makes some killer beer for such a small operation. Mooey, their English Bitter, is up there with some of my favorite beers (for my tastes). Might have to keep an eye out for when they brew the Keller Pils again and make a return visit.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  5. JackHorzempa

Society

I too am a big fan of Mooey.

Cheers to Bonn Place!! :beers:

Jacobier10 likes this.
  6. JackHorzempa

Society

I have no details about the process utilized by Fermentary Form but I just read the below linked article and found it to be a good read:

https://www.morebeer.com/articles/Solera_Aging

Cheers!

AlfromPA likes this.
  7. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (2,085) Jul 2, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Human Robot is where employees of Yards go and drink. Of course. When not drinking in house.

AlfromPA and JackHorzempa like this.