Night Shift Barrel Society 2015

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by JGam115, Oct 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stephenjmoore

stephenjmoore Feb 17, 2011 Maryland
    Society

Worked for me. Thanks for the quick fix @masterob8

robNSB likes this.
  2. robNSB

robNSB Oct 6, 2009 Massachusetts

Just a friendly reminder to current 2015 members, sign ups for 2016 have started today. Current members have 2 weeks to renew. Then on October 1 we open up NSBS sales to the general public. Don't procrastinate! Thanks all for the continual support and allowing us to create some tasty barrel aged treats for you. Cheers!

rhino88888888 likes this.
  3. RKing44

RKing44 Mar 6, 2012 Massachusetts

Any idea on how many NSBS memberships could be open to the general public this year? Thanks @masterob8

4. robNSB

Tough to predict as it depends on what membership level people select and how many current members renew. We have 2,000 bottles available (per release). Last year that worked out to 1,200 members but if everyone gets the Cellar Master level then we will only have 500 members. To add more to the challenges of predicting, last year about 50% of members renewed. So if that holds true and the distribution of membership level stays the same for this year we will have around 600 memberships for sale to the general public.

5. Faxmesomehalibut

Faxmesomehalibut May 22, 2014 New Hampshire
    Trader

@masterob8 has there been any discussion about having an option for current members that is beer only? I like the swag and all, but after a few years not as interested in getting more shirts and glassware. Any talks about offering a membership at a slight discount that excludes the swag?

RyanMcFly1985 and BRYeleJR like this.
  6. codasnap52

codasnap52 Jan 24, 2008 Connecticut

Looks like there is a price increase this year (about 7-15% depending on the level you purchase). I didn't expect that

sandman3479 and Bizoneill like this.
  7. BRYeleJR

BRYeleJR May 18, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

This would make my renewal a much easier decision as well...

Jslay013 and RyanMcFly1985 like this.
  8. robNSB

Totally understand. We view the swag as part of what makes the society a society. It's completes the package and is a source of pride for many members. We keep the swag different every year so that you aren't stuck with the same shirt and glassware. We also try to keep the cost low for the swag ($35) and let the beer be the star. Logistically it also makes things complicated to manage on the backend if we remove the swag option for some people. Hopefully, the swag is not a deterrent for you.

Yes, a slight increase in price. We have changed the price of the bottles from $15 to $17. After 3 years of keeping the price the same we needed to raise the price a bit to cover the escalating cost of producing barrel aged beers. The price of oak barrels and the cost to ship them has nearly tripled since we started the barrel society. We also "lose" more beer in process (transferring, angel share, blending, lost to trub/fruit, packaging loss, etc) and never really accounted for that in our costs. So the small price change is to account for the increase in costs. More info can be found at the bottom of our Barrel Society FAQ Page.

9. Kingofprussia17

Kingofprussia17 Jun 12, 2014 Massachusetts

when and how does one put in for a membership request?

10. BRYeleJR

Trader

I don't know if you feel like elaborating on this, but I fail to see how it'd be more complicated to have a list of folks who want beer only vs. folks who just want the "whole package." I use my glasses quite often and I wear my t-shirt, but I don't need/want more of those.

You mark off when people pick up their glasses/t-shirts, I assume, so you're not giving out duplicates of the stuff. You couldn't just cross off the members at the beginning who don't want swag as if they'd already picked it up? I assume there's probably a good markup on this stuff that helps offset rising costs as well, but I don't know anything about your supplier in those areas, obviously.

If there was a "no swag" option, I'd renew in a heartbeat. As it is, I still might, but it's a tougher decision for me when the beer is valued at $119 and I'm shelling out $160.

11. robNSB

We will have them for sale on our web stores starting October 1st. Until then check out our FAQ : http://night-shift-brewing.myshopify.com/pages/2016-barrel-society-faq]

Sure, in its basic sense its a list which check marks. But in actuality its a lot more to manage than that. We have a full time staff member whose primary role is managing the barrel society. Dozens of emails a day of people asking to adjust and change their memberships, people breaking, losing, or needing to exchange swag. For example, we offered the option last year for people to get Barrel Society hoodies. We didn't do that this year because it was more trouble than it was worth. The last variations in memberships the better. Trust me its easier said than done.

12. Faxmesomehalibut

Faxmesomehalibut May 22, 2014 New Hampshire
    Trader

Couldn't this be resolved with a policy that states "Try on your shirt before leaving NSB, no exchanges." And if people lose or break their glass wear, how is that the breweries problem? Seems like people need to be more accountable and not look to NSB with every single issue they encounter. Can you even change your membership after initial purchase???

I have no idea as to how the logistics go into all of the work you guys must have at the brewery, but like the above post states, it doesn't seem like that much extra to have 1 list of members who want swag and 1 list of members who don't. Just my .2

13. JGam115

JGam115 Apr 8, 2013 New York

While I typically would agree that options are better than no options, I can't think of a single beer "society" which allows its members either to opt-out of swag for a lower price or offer a multi-tiered membership directly relating to said swag.

If the cost savings of only having bottles included with your membership is $35, I can't see why all the effort needs to be made by the breweries to accommodate. Clearly there are a few/lots of opinions that disagree with me but hey, that's why we have forums.

14. SveNss0N

SveNss0N Feb 16, 2014 Massachusetts

I decided not to renew mine. This was my first and only year as an NSB barrel society member and so far I've been very underwhelmed. I thought the beers so far have been very average and the only real beer I've liked from NSB was the BA El Lechedor and that wasn't a barrel society beer

BillDon likes this.
  15. meefmoff

meefmoff Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I'm not going to renew either but it's not at all a comment on the quality of the barrel society for me. It's just that for my palate the only style of barrel aged beer I really get excited about is bourboned stouts, and NS (admirably) doesn't just focus on those. As alluded to above, if there was society aimed at something along the lines of barrels of Lechedor I'd be all over that every year.

Night Shift will still be getting my $170 (and more), I'll just be spending it on things other than the barrel society :slight_smile:

For whatever its worth, I agree with those who've stated a preference for a returning-member-non-swag-version of things. If I was going to sign back up I'd find the swag redundant since, as much as I love my NS tulip glasses, I really already have too much beer related paraphernalia in the house as it is.

robNSB likes this.
  16. BRYeleJR

Trader

I'd be fine if that was the response -- it's part of the package, take it or leave it, it helps with the cost of stuff at the brewery because of the markup on glassware/t-shirts, etc.

But I just disagreed with the complicated to manage on the backend statement. Obviously, it's just checkmarks on whether the person has picked up swag or a beer. So now you immediately have fewer people picking the swag up, which someone has to manage. You have fewer people breaking their glasses and asking for new ones; getting the wrong size t-shirt, gumming up the works in other ways. It seems like it'd make it *easier* to manage, like it was when they got rid of the hoodies. I know nothing about how it truly works and Rob is the master (as evidenced by his screenname!), but it was just difficult for me to figure out.

My thing is just I already have five Night Shift glasses and two t-shirts, and I literally don't have room for more swag. I'd give it away to friends, which inherently raises the cost of beers for me to about $23/each. It just simply factors into my decision making. If I don't renew and spend $160 on BS beers, I'll spend it on some Santilli, Whirlpool, Morph, Single Hop Series stuff and hopefully the Presidential DIPAs. It's all good.

17. Elivictus

Elivictus Aug 18, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

I'm not renewing because I am in PA and both proxies and travelling a few times per year can get expensive. The price increase doesn't help that either. I understand why it was done though. It would have been nice to see a price increase for new people and the same for returning members.

18. stephenjmoore

stephenjmoore Feb 17, 2011 Maryland
    Society

@masterob8 Any ETA or details on the 2 remaining releases for 2015?

SveNss0N likes this.
  19. robNSB

Sure thing!

Release #6 is getting packaged tomorrow with a release in early December. The beer is a Belgian Dark Strong ale aged in both bourbon and red wine barrels. The beer was conditioned on sour cherries, cocoa nibs and coffee beans, 8%.

Release #7 is a wine barrel aged saisons of sorts fermented with multiple strains of Brett and aged on Blackberries. Hoping to have this out by mid December.

Cheers!

20. BRYeleJR

Trader

New Night Shift Barrel Society e-mail out today: Rubens -- a Belgian-style dark ale -- will be ready for pickup at noon on Monday, Dec. 7, and it will go on the Barrel Society draft line at the same time.

Extra bottles also go on sale at 2 p.m. today. Can't remember the last time extra bottles were sold before people actually had a chance to try the beer, but maybe it's something new they're trying...?

21. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

That's disappointing.

BRYeleJR likes this.
  22. dbphoto04

dbphoto04 Nov 22, 2015 Massachusetts

The thing i dont like about the extra bottle sales is that they happen so soon after the time of the release. You would have to be there to pick up your bottles on the release day or a couple days after to get a taste and see if you want the extra bottles. I hardly ever make it there on the release day, and therefor am very hesitant to buy extra bottles.

23. BRYeleJR

Trader

Yeah, this time, the extra bottle sales happened BEFORE the release -- no good reason to do it that way either from what I can tell.

The guys are entitled to do whatever they want, but I'm OK not renewing my BS membership for next year. I'm sure they'll sell out regardless -- and who knows, they may have sold every BS bottle today anyway -- but just not something I'm comfortable with at this time.

(And I write this while drinking a 16 oz. tallboy of Whirlpool in my office. I'll continue to buy the beer I like, but just can't keep taking leaps of faith).

BillDon likes this.
  24. robNSB

This is the first time we did the online sales before the release. It wasn't a conscious decision just were better prepared this time and thought we should open up extras for sale as soon as we had final counts. Going forward we will re-vert to the old way of selling extras a few days after release. Extras are still for sale which is the first time they haven't sold out - so further proves that waiting to sell them is best.

25. shameus

shameus Dec 23, 2013 Massachusetts

Is Mystery Weisse getting skipped this year? I just saw the Cape Codder release email and I haven't seen any mention of MW. It was one of my favorites from last year.

benzalman, skinny_mcginley and AirBob like this.
  26. robNSB

It's sort of getting skipped. We are working on putting out a new one-off berliner or two but it likely won't be out till February or so.

27. mrz200

mrz200 Jul 11, 2013 Massachusetts

anybody got a Whirlpool & Santilli canning schedule? Is it a weekly thing?

picking up some x-mas gifts and want to see if there's any batches planned between now & 12/24. I know they've got an 87 canning/release just before x-mas.

28. robNSB

Wednesdays are our regular canning days for Whirlpool & Santilli. They alternate weeks. This week is a Santilli week. We try and keep our website's calendar up to date with this info too. That can be viewed here: http://www.nightshiftbrewing.com/calendar

Some dates are missing but the full plan till the end of the year is this:
    12/16/2015 Wednesday Santilli
    12/18/2015 Friday Awake
    12/22/2015 Tuesday 87
    12/23/2015 Wednesday Whirlpool
    12/29/2015 Tuesday Morph
    12/30/2015 Wednesday Santilli

#228 robNSB, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    mrz200 and rhino88888888 like this.
  29. Justin42

Justin42 Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Any chance that 87 will see distribution in the future? Love that beer.

30. robNSB

That is the plan. We plan to regularly can The 87 every 3 weeks or so. The majority of it will likely be sold out of the taproom with a smaller amount going to distro.

bruindre and rhino88888888 like this.
  31. Justin42

Justin42 Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Awesome. Hope to get back to the taproom soon (trivia rocks) but nice to know there will be some distribution as well.

robNSB likes this.
  32. ErrandWolfe

ErrandWolfe Apr 2, 2011 Maine

So, what are everyone's favorites from this year's releases? I just picked up all of my bottles the other day, but I'm splitting them with a friend so I have to wait even longer to drink them (not the worst thing in the world).

33. pinhead

pinhead May 4, 2013 Washington

Speaking of upcoming events, any idea when 2016 barrel society events will start?

34. seanunreal

seanunreal Jul 23, 2009 Massachusetts

Next year, if I had to guess

35. rhino88888888

rhino88888888 Dec 12, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

For 2015 the first Barrel Society bottle wasn't ready for pickup until mid-March.

pinhead likes this.
  36. rhino88888888

rhino88888888 Dec 12, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I haven't tried them all yet but I rather enjoyed Sargent.

37. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Sargent and caravaggio were the only two beers i liked at all. Sargent is the only one i would even entertain buying.

38. AdamF625

AdamF625 Nov 25, 2010 Massachusetts

Has anyone had Kahlo yet? Worth buying extra bottles?

39. JGam115

JGam115 Apr 8, 2013 New York

Both Rubens and Kahlo were on when I went last week. Checking back on untappd, Kahlo pourer a pinkish orange with white foam. I got faint peppercorns, persimmon and light berry on the nose. The flavor had a mild tartness to it with a berry fuzz finish. I thought it was a decent brew.

40. frekky

frekky Oct 31, 2015 Massachusetts

Friend busted out his last Pluto from 12/2014 yesterday and it was tasting damn good. Raspberry jam up front with just a touch of funk. Dry finish. Really enjoyed it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.