Night Shift Barrel Society-Yay or Neigh?

Discussion in 'New England' started by ubufan2112, Oct 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ubufan2112

ubufan2112 Disciple (352) Sep 19, 2003 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I'm interested to know from past or current members if you found the membership to worth the price. If so, would you do it again, and if not why not. Thanks

2. sandman3479

sandman3479 Devotee (409) Dec 8, 2006 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I was thinking of joining as well.

3. Auror

Auror Defender (635) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

4. blckout20

blckout20 Aspirant (248) May 24, 2012 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I signed up yesterday. Their Berliners are just too good and the barrel society tap line at the brewery has made it worthwhile even if it is only an occasional visit.

5. ubufan2112

ubufan2112 Disciple (352) Sep 19, 2003 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Do they limit the amount of growler fills?

6. cbeer88

cbeer88 Crusader (719) Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

I'm on the fence for 2014, but probably in. I still need to pickup the last 2 beers, but the first 2 were "interesting", albeit nothing tremendous. The other 2 seem to be reviewing about the same. I like what Night Shift is doing in general though, and I feel like they're going to break through with some killer beers once they get a little more barrel experience under their belts.

My biggest gripe is their location, as it's just a pain to get out there often enough. (Almost no parking, and a bit inconvenient for those who live south of Boston)

7. commis

commis Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2009 Massachusetts

If you ever need bottles picked up, let me know. I'm just a couple minutes away from the brewery. Don't know how far south of the city you are but I'm in the south end pretty much daily don't mind making my way further south on days off if need be.
    Not sure what hoops need to be jumped through to proxy, but I'd be glad to do it if it's doable.

8. masterob8

masterob8 Initiate (185) Oct 6, 2009 Massachusetts

We totally agree. Our location and parking situations sucks. That should be remedied in the next couple of months as we make a move to a new space.

Cheers.

Dizbro21, pveilleux, mkabull and 5 others like this.
  9. Janeinma

Janeinma Devotee (420) May 24, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Wait a minute, you guys are moving? Is it in the same area? We just picked up a membership as the current place is relatively easy to visit often. If you move south or west of town you would basically be out of our range. Can you provide some general information.

10. Bananapwn

Bananapwn Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2013 Massachusetts

My husband I both joined for 2014. We missed out on 2013, but we did do the sour futures. I consistently like their beers, and like the idea of supporting them to grow to make even more awesome beers.

Also, excited to hear they are moving. I hope it is a place with more parking, and less traffic fighting in rush hour. I live just south of Boston. It should take me 20 minutes to get there, but yesterday took me almost an hour.

11. Respirologist

Respirologist Initiate (170) Feb 26, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Ya where ya going.....?

12. Kmlund

Kmlund Zealot (524) Jan 6, 2011 Massachusetts

My boyfriend and I split a membership in 2013 and have enjoyed the releases so far. Plus the Teku glasses that come with the membership are awesome. We thought it was definitely worth it and signed up again for 2014.

Excited to learn more about the new location. The first time we went to the current place it seemed kind of sketchy. I'm used to it now but a location with more parking will be awesome!

13. Janeinma

Beer Trader

No matter where a brewery is it is inconvenient for some. We generally can't make it during the week, boston traffic sucks at rush hour. So please Night Shift please confirm general locale, because it will matter to your customers.

14. cbeer88

Any hints where? Parking is the biggie...

This is true, but ample parking helps a lot with convenience, and that's something they just can't have right now. Buried in that industrial building is also not the most welcoming location, particularly with a taproom now...

Big thanks. I'd like to get up there in the near future to check out the tap room anyway, but perhaps in the future. I'm regularly in Boston, just usually without a car, and never north. Thus Night Shift requires a special trip...

15. masterob8

Hey All - We are very excited about moving just down the street from our current location. Still within the city limits of Everett. We are hoping to release more details next week about specific address and plans. A better taproom experience is high on our priority list and some of the funds from the barrel society will be used to make the new space awesome. And of course we will have plenty of parking.

If for some reason moving less than 1 mile away from our current location affects your membership (i.e. your ability or desire to pick beers up) please let us know.

Cheers!

16. cbeer88

Awesome. Just re-upped...

masterob8 likes this.
  17. Janeinma

Beer Trader

Sounds great to me, we will be happy to visit often taking advantage of our new membership! :slight_smile:

masterob8 likes this.
  18. drebrew

drebrew Aspirant (221) May 8, 2013 New Jersey

I'm a new member and this is the line that got me "Berliner Weisse featuring exotic fruit". I thought Ever and Somer were great, I'm scared to imagine what exotic fruit is going to be like.

19. codasnap52

codasnap52 Aspirant (258) Jan 24, 2008 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I went splitsies with a buddy on the Night Shift Barrel Society and am really pumped to see what they will release for us. I also had bought some Sour Futures which really paid off when I picked up my EverWeiss. It floored me and was one of my favorite beers of the Summer, I can only imagine that the Night Shift crew will come up with even more awesome brews this year. These guys are making kick-ass beers, I highly recommend supporting them with the Barrel Society.

Quick Question: I am from out of town and going to the Sox game tomorrow afternoon. It should be over around 6 and I plan on shooting up to Everett to have a glass of Night Shift beer and to purchase some bottles/growlers. I know they have parking issues, is there any professional advise as to where to park or should we just go for it and aim right for the brewery. Also, do they get really crowded Friday nights? I have only been on Saturday afternoons.

20. masterob8

Friday's generally are pretty busy nights for us. Most people end up parking along the chain link fence that goes around the construction site and walking in. If you have a question about where to park when you arrive feel free to give us a call at the brewery phone: 617-294-4233. Cheers and enjoy the Sox game!

21. a74gent

a74gent Aspirant (284) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Inclusion of the schwag made it much less appealing for me personally...it is almost like an upsell (not saying on purpose), ...hey..I want beer...not more glasses I don't need and a shirt I won't wear...would be nice to see option with and without goodies next year as I'm sure some people think it is great.

22. JTreehorn

JTreehorn Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2013 Massachusetts

Really like what these folks are doing, especially working with local vendors for flavor infusion (Taza, MEM Tea). Just signed up for 2014....also really enjoyed their anniversary beer, something "cloud" or "Cotton Candy" from Belgium Beer Fest....wish more breweries offered clubs, societies etc.

23. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (3,919) Sep 17, 2005 Maine
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

I've enjoyed the 2013 beers, and re-upped for 2014.
    My only hesitation was the trip from southern Maine to the brewery, but it gives my wife and I a chance to see our son in Boston.

24. jbart

jbart Initiate (177) Oct 2, 2004 Massachusetts

[quote....also really enjoyed their anniversary beer, something "cloud" or "Cotton Candy" from Belgium Beer Fest....[/quote]

I think you might mean Cotton from Idle Hands.

I haven't yet tried all of the Barrel Society beers released so far this year, but the ones I had were good, although not my favorites of what they brew (those would be the sours). They were good enough for me to sign on again for next year, though. Overall, I love what Night Shift does.

25. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (956) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I hope they fix what's going on with their sours. People said the somer weisse at BBF was pretty bad and the art #5 raspberry mint berliner was so terribly acidic I couldn't finish the little sample I got.

26. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Aspirant (286) Jan 13, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Somer Weiss I had tasted like Ginger soda. Ever Weiss was spot on, though.

27. BearsOnAcid

Beer Trader

I've had their sours many times and this was much more acidic than any past batches I've had. BBF feedback sounded the same as my experience with Art #5. It was more like paint thinner than beer.

28. LopeJuice

LopeJuice Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2012 New York

I definitely found the somer and ever weisse to be pretty acidic from the batch I picked up last month. I was a little disappointed as I didn't find the ever to be that acidic the only other time I had it. The lemon was also a little overpowering in the somer and there wasnt much ginger when I had it on tap there, but the bottles were actually much better. I guess these types of things happen with so many small batches being made, but they were both still very tasty beers. This will be my first year doing the Barrel Society and I'm very excited to see what they roll out!

29. masterob8

30. Respirologist

Respirologist Initiate (170) Feb 26, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Really don't know what to do here guys. Loved the Ever Weisse, but could do without a few of the recents like Honeydew, Oasis, Bee Tea.... I'm 50/50 on whether sign up any help here? People that were on the fence a month ago what did you decide?

31. cbeer88

I'm in. Honestly, don't judge the barrel society based on Honeydew, Oasis, Bee Tea, etc. It's all barrel aged beers that you're paying for, not the run of the mill lineup for the plebs. If you're the type of person who likes experimental beers and doesn't blink at paying $15-ish for a bottle of BA beer, then go for it.

codasnap52 likes this.
  32. emannths

emannths Initiate (191) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

Ah yes, nothing like $12 bottles of plebeian beer. :wink:

33. BearsOnAcid

Beer Trader

Sort of makes sense though to base your expectations on the regular beers they offer.

mushrooms and GuisseppeFranco like this.
  34. Janeinma

Beer Trader

I think that is overly harsh, I like Honeydew and Bee Tea, but tasting the BA beers a couple of weeks ago at the Mainer Weisse launch they were excellent.

35. Auror

Auror Defender (635) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Just to play Devil's Advocate, but IMO most of the beers offered at the party were better than all of the currently released barrel society beers. To play Devil's Advocate against myself, perhaps that gives more hope for next year. If I scrape together the cash, I'll probably end up joining on the 1 bottle limit plan.

36. cbeer88

I'm mostly joking... though I do think their berliner weisses and BA society offerings are a solid cut above their "normal" stuff. I do really appreciate their experimentation on everything though - beers like Snow and Honeydew push the envelope forward, even if the end result isn't stellar. I don't even mind the more straightforward beers like Oasis - the biggest problem is they aren't worth the $10/bottle price tag.

They'll figure it out - I've seen enough to feel good about that.

messrock likes this.
  37. DonSaleen747

DonSaleen747 Initiate (100) Oct 2, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I just joined the 1 bottle club. Can't wait to see what comes out!

38. masterob8

Hey All,
    If you are still on the fence about joining the society we will be pouring samples of 2013 Barrel Society beers at the brewery tomorrow (Saturday 11/23). Come sample the beers and determine for yourself yay or neigh. More info in our newsletter, here.

We also have several barrel age beers under our Art series (our experimental beers) that are on tap for your enjoyment and will also give you a taste of what our barrel program is like. Details on our "On Tap" page.

Cheers,
    Rob

Janeinma and woodfinish like this.
  39. Guess2814

Guess2814 Initiate (0) Oct 4, 2013 Massachusetts

If u go to the Night Shift brewery.. It's all about The chinook.. Wow!!! What a beer!!

masterob8 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.