Night Shift Brewing (April 2016)

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by frekky, Apr 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nerdboy19

nerdboy19 Aspirant (253) Sep 20, 2015 Korea (South)
    Trader

Quick question, is getting Night Shift beer in Boston hard? I mean like 3 hours lining up hard? And are there any limits per person? Thanks and cheers!

2. BigStein88

BigStein88 Disciple (309) Nov 5, 2007 New Hampshire
    Trader

I have been to the brewery on weekdays and around open on the weekends and have always walked in and gotten whatever I wanted. They say it gets pretty crowded on weekend afternoons, though. Also, many of the stores in and around Boston get Night Shift stuff, and most seem to post it on their social media when it comes in. Interestingly, I have found it to be cheaper to buy the stuff in stores than the brewery. But now the brewery offers a $1 discount per 4-pack when you buy a case so that makes it a bit closer.

cmurphycode likes this.
  3. pgbond

pgbond Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2014 Massachusetts

Like @BigStein88 said, it is very crowded on weekend afternoons/evenings. It's even worse on beer release days. I try to stay away from the brewery now on weekends and release days just because I can't stand waiting in the line just to get in, unless I can show up right at opening. They are building out a taproom "annex" in the space next to the current taproom which will take capacity up over 400 from the current ~240. That may help things, but NSB keeps getting more and more popular and the beer better and better (good problems to have).
    Even Sundays, which used to be the quietest day, are now getting rather insane at the taproom.

As for limits, they usually only have limits on special release beers produced in a minimal quantity, though recently most special releases have had no limits which has caused beer to disappear faster than you would expect. All of their canned beers are produced in quantity and on a rather impressive consistent schedule that keeps them in stock.
    While most of the beers make it to stores, not all of it does. Some canned and bottled offerings do tend to stay brewery only.

cmurphycode likes this.
  4. cmurphycode

cmurphycode Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2010 Massachusetts

Just to be clear, it's still not gonna be near 3 hours lining up. At least not that I know of.

5. frekky

frekky Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2015 Massachusetts

I will echo the sentiment that the taproom can get busy at times, but no you won't ever have to line up 3 hours. Thei regular canned offerings (santilli, whirlpool, morph, 87, trifecta, furth, and soon to be pfaffenheck & one hop series i assume) can be found all over the place.
    I have had good success,on weekends/release days showing up around opening at the taproom and having what felt like plenty of space well into the afternoon. I feel like they keep capacity in the taproom low to leave people with some space, which works for me!

6. nerdboy19

nerdboy19 Aspirant (253) Sep 20, 2015 Korea (South)
    Trader

Everybody thanks a lot! Glad I have lots of chances to get their cans. I just love Boston since there are some great offerings like Trillium and Night Shift, and their amazing accessibility.

rhino88888888 likes this.
  7. robNSB

robNSB Initiate (148) Oct 6, 2009 Massachusetts

It's never 3 hours in a line hard. On Friday nights and weekends we do get lines but they are usually pretty quick. 20 minutes or so max. As mentioned above, our beer is around the city at various bars and retail shops too. Just in smaller quantities. Enjoy your visit to town!

nerdboy19 likes this.
  8. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (229) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

@masterob8 Quick/dumb question: If I'm just picked up my Barrel Society bottle and some cans, is it possible to do that without waiting in a long line on a Saturday?

9. robNSB

We have just started testing out the concept of "the hall pass". Yep, just like middle school. Basically, you ask the door person for the pass and he lets you in to grab something quickly to go. Working well so far.

10. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,914) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

As long as you don't test out the concept of a "bathroom pass".

robNSB and pgbond like this.
  11. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (229) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Excellent, thank you!

robNSB likes this.
  12. iflah45

iflah45 Initiate (165) Jul 8, 2010 Massachusetts

I can attest to this. I have been going to pick up a case every so often and one time recently, I arrived on a Saturday afternoon and there were about 12 ppl in line to get in. The door guy let me right in after I asked if I could just grab cans and the whole process took 2 minutes.

13. Bissel328

Bissel328 Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2015 Massachusetts

I walk into the store and buy it everyday, never waited. all over the place on the northshore

Leebo likes this.
  14. JonnyJuicebox

JonnyJuicebox Initiate (150) Jun 3, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

4/15 morph is crazy good. I think it's the best one I've had since I started keeping track(6/3/15). Nice juiciness. It honestly reminds me of like Alter Ego or Green with more bitterness.

#54 JonnyJuicebox, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    robNSB likes this.
  15. beantown_hopster

beantown_hopster Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2015 Massachusetts

why wouldn't you buy enough so you don't have to go to the store every day that seems wild.

16. Bissel328

Bissel328 Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2015 Massachusetts

Well i honestly go probably 3 times a week, but different stores have different delivery days so i hit them on delivery day and get the freshiessss

Leebo likes this.
  17. robNSB

New beer on tap to kick off this awesome weekend - One Hop Topaz - on draft for pours and growlers.

18. woods617

woods617 Initiate (0) Oct 5, 2015 Massachusetts

that new one hop looks mighty tasty. might have to stop in for a growler fill tomorrow. the citra one was bangin'.

Beerbank1 and beantown_hopster like this.
  19. BigStein88

Trader

Citra is great! And, is it just me, or is this the best batch of Whirlpool ever? Can't believe this beer is 4.5%.

20. Hammerhead79

Hammerhead79 Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2015 Massachusetts

Whats the growler glass costs at NS? I have only gone toNS for pours.

21. robNSB

Ranges from $10-$12 for 32oz fills to $15-$18 for 64oz fills. Growlers are a $5 deposit. We take them back and you can swap between sizes too.

Hammerhead79 likes this.
  22. MosaicDrops

MosaicDrops Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2014 New York

Does Second Breakfast see distro or is it brewery-only? Unfortunately not going to make it to the taproom during this very short visit, but my hotel is near Charles St. Liquors. Their Beermenus isn't very up to date though...

23. MattOC

MattOC Defender (645) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

It was a taproom only release.

MosaicDrops likes this.
  24. BigStein88

Trader

If you aren't going to can the Mosaic One Hop then what other one are you going to can?

25. dbphoto04

dbphoto04 Initiate (22) Nov 22, 2015 Massachusetts

yea i dont get not canning Mosaic. I can see not canning all of the different variants, but i feel like it makes sense to can the more well known hops.

26. KennyFraser

KennyFraser Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2015 Massachusetts

Completely agree - this batch is on point! I was pumped that one of my regular bottle shops got an extra shipment of it yesterday - can't wait to start the new 4-pack.

27. MarkF150

MarkF150 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2009 Massachusetts

Maybe they didn't have enough Mosaic for a full canning run

28. BRYeleJR

BRYeleJR Disciple (347) May 18, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Just wanted to give big kudos to @masterob8 and the crew at Night Shift for instituting the "hall pass" at the brewery. There was a line of 20 to 25 people waiting Saturday night, and while I normally wouldn't mind waiting so I could grab a pint or two, I had the wife and four-month-old son in the car.

Even being super crowded inside, I was able to get in and out with a mixed case, couple bottles of Second Breakfast and a bottle of the Barrel'd Sun collaboration in probably just more than five minutes. It would have been even quicker if I knew the appropriate place to go when I was inside (FYI, the folks behind the bar directed me to the little swag setup with computer monitor that is off to the left if you're facing the bar).

I love that the "hall pass" exists -- had I not known, I would have had to keep driving. Thanks for creating that creative solution! (And I'm selfishly totally OK if you guys don't want to advertise it beyond this BA thread...)

robNSB likes this.
  29. robNSB

The Mosaic and recent Topaz batches were both smaller 14bbl runs. At that small of a volume it's not cost effective to can. We are hoping to put out one batch of canned One Hop per month going forward. Although its looking like we will miss May in favor or doing a canned Presidential DIPA. The next One Hop canned batch is Idaho 7 and will be packaged around the first week of June.

Side note: nearly all the Mosaic we have contracted for is allocated to Whirlpool. So not sure we will be able to do canned runs of One Hop Mosaic this year.

Awesome to hear it worked out great for you! For now, it's a BA secret.

BRYeleJR and rhino88888888 like this.
  30. MarkF150

MarkF150 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2009 Massachusetts

@masterob8 Any OHTT Citra cans left at the brewery? That one was delicious!

31. JonnyJuicebox

JonnyJuicebox Initiate (150) Jun 3, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Snagged a 4 pack of the 87 at CBC Fenway last night. First time seeing it in the wild! Smells like summer peaches. Probably won't last very long. Great store and really nice owners as well.

robNSB likes this.
  32. robNSB

OHTT Citra is all gone at the brewery. Only lasted a few days in cans and a few more after that on draft. We will very likely do another batch of it.

33. Kingofprussia17

Kingofprussia17 Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2014 Massachusetts

I have been really enjoying the Whirlpool lately. It's such a great beer at a reasonable ABV. The tall boys are on point and the availability in Braintree has been great lately. Shout out to Curtis Liquors.

BigStein88 and robNSB like this.
  34. PatriotsRule

PatriotsRule Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2012 Massachusetts

Just chiming in to agree that the 4/15 batch of Morph is absolutely killer. Keep up the great work @masterob8 and the NSB crew!

robNSB likes this.
  35. dbphoto04

dbphoto04 Initiate (22) Nov 22, 2015 Massachusetts

thanks for the response! really loving the OHTT beers canned or not! Also very excited about canned Pres. DIPA!!

robNSB likes this.
  36. frekky

frekky Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2015 Massachusetts

I just know @masterob8 wants to provide some more details on this... :grinning:

37. robNSB

Tentatively called Roosevelt it will be heavily hopped with Citra, Ella, Motueka, and Topaz. Should be delicious. Release date not set just yet.

38. mpom99

mpom99 Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2015 Massachusetts

Have to agree with what several others have stated - this recent batch of Morph is fantastic. Best I've had yet.

robNSB likes this.
  39. patrickcmcd

patrickcmcd Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2010 Massachusetts

The OHTT Topaz was....different.

40. HOP-E-DAYZ

HOP-E-DAYZ Initiate (0) May 11, 2014 Connecticut

The OHTT citra was fantastic.was able to get a case at @nightshift. Feed me these all summer long! Crisp and clean with perfect hop haze.6% crushers.now I am thirsty.cheers!

robNSB and beantown_hopster like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.