Night Shift Whirlpool & Morph cans

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by HuskyHawk, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hophead717

Hophead717 Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2011 Massachusetts

These beers both rock.

Question about Morph: will there be any way for us masses to know about the progression/evolution of the brew over time? I'd be curious to hear about the different hop combinations (and other changes!) from batch to batch.

2. hawkfarmorganic

hawkfarmorganic Initiate (0) May 18, 2014 Maine

Bought four cases for myself and friends. Didn't think twice.

For the record these versions of whirlpool and Constable taste better than ever. Can only imagine what the sept.9 canning will be like

Personally I'm sick of people complaining about price.

3. Davl22

Davl22 Disciple (357) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

On the back of the can there's a link.... nsbeer.com/morph

robNSB and Hophead717 like this.
  4. kharma

kharma Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2006 Massachusetts

It's even cheaper than the growler fills and portable... what's not to like?

robNSB and hawkfarmorganic like this.
  5. hawkfarmorganic

Per ounce its .25 cents. That's a 16 dollar growler fill, without cost of glass.
    /end of price discussion

robNSB likes this.
  6. jefffalcone

jefffalcone Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2013 Massachusetts

This makes me want to go buy some. Well said

robNSB likes this.
  7. noob

noob Initiate (152) Jan 23, 2004 Massachusetts

I am pretty sure the Alchemist cans/labels do not have federal approval in that they don't have the government warning and all that. That could be a reason NS, labels the way they do.

8. robNSB

robNSB Initiate (148) Oct 6, 2009 Massachusetts

Yeh, I am not sure how they get around the Federal law that requires the warning, where the beer is made, and the package volume. We explored doing stickers but based on having all that info plus things like a barcode. The sticker cost and the labor involved to sticker each one isn't worth it. Our goal is to moved towards printed cans sometime next year.

hawkfarmorganic likes this.
  9. JGLittle

JGLittle Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2012 Massachusetts

Any coming to Western Mass?

10. noob

noob Initiate (152) Jan 23, 2004 Massachusetts

I don't believe the Alchemist stickers even list the name of the brewery!

11. hawkfarmorganic

Quick question rob, besides the sept 9th canning, do you anticipate canning into the fall/winter...or chilling out on cans once the crappy weather starts? Is this going to be a monthly thing?

Thanks mang, my crew and I have been thoroughly enjoying these

12. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (599) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

So the brewery that calls the police when people try to resell their beer illegally sells its own beers illegally?

13. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

Really? You think they are just breaking the law? The Regulations are pretty clear. Federal law applies to interstate commerce, and the Alchemist beers are not sold outside of Vermont. On the label approval form there is a clear check-box for exemption for beers sold only in a single state. But some states may require a certificate of label approval.

14. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (599) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

You did notice the ? in that sentence, right? (????)

15. HuskyHawk

What can you expect from the Enron CFO? :slight_smile:

16. MarkJC1018

MarkJC1018 Aspirant (271) Dec 27, 2009 Massachusetts

Are cans still available at the brewery? The Web page makes it look like that's the case but I wanted to make sure that was accurate. Thanks!

17. hawkfarmorganic

They should still be there, got an email from the mailing list this morning @MarkJC1018 that they were in stock

18. MarkJC1018

MarkJC1018 Aspirant (271) Dec 27, 2009 Massachusetts

19. hawkfarmorganic

20. bruindre

bruindre Defender (641) Jun 20, 2009 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Picked up a few 4-packs of Whirlpool & Morph last night - as I 9pm last night it looked like they still had plenty of cans available.

21. robNSB

We have about 20-30 cases of each beer left for sale. The farthest west the cans made it was Julios, I believe.

We are hoping to do a canning run every 3-4 weeks for the rest of the year. Next canning run is September 9th and then after that it is October 1st. Cheers!

hawkfarmorganic likes this.
  22. Davl22

Davl22 Disciple (357) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

Is your plan to can Whirlpool and a different Morph every month? Or will the beers always be changing?

23. MVP09

MVP09 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts

Julio's ran out. Anymore of those 20-30 cases making it back out to Westboro. Or is it a wait till next canning?

24. robNSB

Sept 9th will be a different Morph batch. No Whirlpool for that canning date. We only have enough hops to do a few more batches of Whirlpool this year. Might be able to can on more batch of Whirlpool in the fall. However, next year we hope to can Whirlpool on a regular basis!

I don't personally handle the sales side of the business so I am not 100% sure but I don't think any more cans are going out to accounts from this round. Julio's will get more cans from the Sept 9th run!

25. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,914) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Didn't notice this bad boy (Whirlpool) was 4% until this thread. I thought it was a 7% IPA. I hope there's some left at my local tomorrow.

Sounds like it looks the Bissell Brothers Baby Genius (their 4% session IPA). Looked like a grapefruit colored hefeweizen.

hawkfarmorganic and robNSB like this.
  26. HuskyHawk

It's the ultimate beach beer for that reason, or would be but for availability and perhaps price. I plan to take two of mine to Cape Cod this weekend (and won't share them) to go with some Sixpoint cans.

27. MVP09

MVP09 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts

Finally secured a can of each Whirlpool was excellent. Nose is awesome! Best description its a hop juice/soda! Having Morph now. Great as well but I am putting WP ahead of it. Only have a can of each so take my opinion for what it is.

robNSB likes this.
  28. hawkfarmorganic

Whirlpool got some rave reviews from my brewer friends who I gave some cans to up here. Very impressive.

robNSB likes this.
  29. JakerLou

JakerLou Meyvn (1,224) Jan 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Society

I just cracked these tonight. For me, Whirlpool is a winner. Peach and a little Sweet pink grapefruit. Outstanding. Best low ABV beer I've had. Morph is very good, but Whirlpool is outstanding.

robNSB likes this.
  30. AlcahueteJ

Society

Just picked up my store's last four pack. I'll get to these weekend during a bbq, looks like a great session beer.

robNSB likes this.
  31. Auror

Auror Defender (623) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts

Ugh. NH is so bad in this regard. Lab testing, re-approval for case size changes, the infamous Breakfast stout minor imagery, etc.

32. TheBeerShop

TheBeerShop Initiate (0) Jul 23, 2012 Massachusetts

We have 2 cases of each. And we've heard Provisions got a few as well. But if I recall, we're the only 2 accounts in W.MA with them. I was in the shop today and we had a case of each left.

Cheers!

JGLittle and robNSB like this.
  33. AlcahueteJ

Society

Cracked one a bit early, I couldn't resist.

Man, you guys nailed this one. The other posts are right, that smell when you first crack the can....heaven.

Strong peach aroma/flavor and pineapple as well. Body was still a BIT thin, but still one of the better session hoppy offerings I've ever sampled. I took a few sips directly from the can before pouring into the glass, and dare I say.....drink from the can?

Tomorrow's bbq will be the perfect test for this as I don't believe I'll have glassware there. Can said 4.3% abv, I thought this was 4%? Is the abv different batch to batch for this beer?

Canned 8/19.....I'd say that's pretty damn fresh, wish I picked this up last week when I saw it, would have been four days old...

AirBob and robNSB like this.
  34. robNSB

We have played around with the Whirlpool recipe for sometime to get the perfect abv. We have made batches between 3.7 to 5%. And our team concluded that we like it best at 4.2-4.3%. Keeps the beer super light, super session-able, and let's the hops really take center stage. So the abv on the can is correct.

Enjoy your BBQ

#74 robNSB, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2014
    HuskyHawk likes this.
  35. JGLittle

Just got back from being away for the weekend. Any of the 4 packs make through Labor Day?

36. jim102864

jim102864 Zealot (525) Aug 9, 2005 Connecticut

More importantly, I say the following: "UUUU-CONNNNNNN...!!!!"

HuskyHawk and Auror like this.
  37. Hirshi

Hirshi Initiate (0) May 1, 2012 New York

For the record, these were fucking amazing. Would trade for both again.

38. JGLittle

Just had a whirlpool and was very impressed. I now have a Morph sitting in the fridge. Keep 'em coming!

robNSB likes this.
  39. mikeywtc

mikeywtc Initiate (89) Dec 7, 2011 Massachusetts

@masterob8 Could we get an update on what's left for Whirlpool & Morph cans at the brewery? Was thinking about swinging down tomorrow to pick more up...I blew through a case way too fast!

40. JGLittle

Liked Whirpool better, found it more aromatic and a like more of a unique flavor.

What does a 6 pack of Whirlpool cost? I had to buys singles. Glad I got to try it, but would have to have a more cost effective way to buy them in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.