Nitro Beer Poll

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Mark-Leggett, Mar 9, 2020.

?

Nitro: Love, Hate, or Eh?

1. Love

64 vote(s)
    28.7%
  2. Hate

34 vote(s)
    15.2%
  3. Eh

125 vote(s)
    56.1%
  1. Mark-Leggett

Mark-Leggett Meyvn (1,121) Jul 30, 2014 Missouri
    Society

Seems like different breweries catch the nitro bug and have to make one. Unless its a milk stout I really could do without nitro altogether. What are your thoughts?

DoctorZombies, eppCOS and PapaGoose03 like this.
  2. LGHT

LGHT Initiate (199) Sep 28, 2007 California
    Trader

I enjoy them, but it's something that was done a LONG time ago and the fad has passed. I agree milk stouts are probably the best beer to Nitro though.

Mark-Leggett and RochefortChris like this.
  3. JediMasterLenin

JediMasterLenin Disciple (308) Dec 25, 2018 District of Columbia

I love Nitro when I'm in the mood for it. But that isn't very often so I just went with "Eh."

4. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,970) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Guinness started developing it in the late 1950s and introduced the nitro keg serving method in Ireland in 1964. It supposedly was meant to replace a cumbersome "two cask" system, in which the bartender had to blend the stout from the two different vessels.

Took a long time for it to be available to much of the US - as late as 1979, when the US accounted for only about 1% of all Guinness (draught, and bottled ES) sales, half of all Guinness sold in the US was in NYC. At that time, there were only 33 bars in NYC with Guinness on tap, 18 of them in Manhattan according to a New York Magazine article which later quotes a Guinness USA VP.

The widget nitro can came out in 1988; hitting "selected US markets" in 1991.

I suppose for some, those events are a "LONG time ago" - but not really if one considers the whole of brewing history.:grin:

#4 jesskidden, Mar 9, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    sosbombs, DiUr, meefmoff and 16 others like this.
  5. billandsuz

billandsuz Devotee (427) Sep 1, 2004 New York
    Industry

It has it's place, albeit a limited space.

I find the bite from CO2 is really missed in anything other than a low IBU beer, so nitro IPA, nitro Pils etc. are really quite miserable. For me.

If we can have Milkshake IPA surely there is space for nitro beer. BA's who or otherwise open minded can really lose their shit over nitro beer. It's amusing for some I guess.

Cheers

6. Mark-Leggett

Mark-Leggett Meyvn (1,121) Jul 30, 2014 Missouri
    Society

Well put, my thoughts on the nose

7. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,693) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I'll happily get a nitro draught Guinness from time to time. And when I do it's because that's exactly what I'm in the mood for, not that there weren't many other choices :sunglasses:.

I just had a few this past Saturday, actually, and enjoyed every drop...

Premo88, Barettes, meefmoff and 8 others like this.
  8. officerbill

officerbill Disciple (374) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Trader

Nitro seems to work well with some stouts, not so much with other styles. Empire had a nitro cream ale that was smooth, but flavorless.

9. beerwego

beerwego Initiate (51) Dec 5, 2019

I hold no ill will whatsoever towards nitro. Some greats include:

• Left Hand Wake Up Dead
    • Old Chubb
    • Guinness
    • Sam Adams Nitro Coffee
    • Sam Adams Nitro IPA
    • Bellhaven Scottish Ale
    • Old Speckled Hen
    • Murphys
    • Budweiser Reserve Nitro Gold

KentT, Premo88, Mindcrime1000 and 7 others like this.
  10. zid

zid Meyvn (1,419) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I have absolutely no hatred for nitro. I agree with the observations of those who dislike it, but I still like it... I just wouldn't ever choose a nitro beer over the "non-nitro" version. Nitro beers are almost universally worse off in my eyes. This doesn't make them unenjoyable though.

What I really dislike is the craft brewer need to "do their take" on everything and anything beer related. Nitro Guinness Draught is a very enjoyable beer. Guinness has figured out how to make it work for them - both on the technical level and the sensory level. The further away you get from the Guinness commitment to doing it right, the worse it becomes as an option - both on the technical level and sensory level. Craft brewers that release $15 four packs of nitro cans that pour beer with practically no carbonation should be ashamed.

Premo88, DiUr, beerwego and 5 others like this.
  11. AccipiterofBeer

AccipiterofBeer Aspirant (253) Nov 28, 2016 New York

I miss the Sam Adams Nitro beers. The Coffee Stout was a great dessert companion.

12. SierraNevallagash

SierraNevallagash Defender (673) Sep 23, 2018 Maine
    Trader

I've yet to try a nitrogenated beer that I thought was better than the original. It doesn't help that i hate lactose in beer, and a good portion of nitro beers are milk stouts. I don't hate the nitro thing, but it doesn't excite me. Eh.

Premo88, Bitterbill and Mark-Leggett like this.
  13. BrewHound601

BrewHound601 Initiate (51) Jan 30, 2020

Haven't had one in years; remember them being a smooth soft carbonation; am'iright?

Mark-Leggett likes this.
  14. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,078) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

It's an abomination, with some exceptions.

cbcrunch, Premo88 and Mark-Leggett like this.
  15. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (2,053) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

love it, baby

16. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,177) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Thing is, it doesn't ask us "put into what style?" which is where I start to have problems...
    Stout - sure
    Porter - M'okaaaay....
    Sawtooth ale, at the limit,
    Anything else basically ? NO.
    Just no.

17. vtcraft

vtcraft Initiate (169) Apr 1, 2013 Vermont
    Trader

Hill Farmstead Shirley Mae on Nitro is one of the best beers I’ve ever had
    I’ve only tried an nitro ipa once and it was a drain pour, can’t remember what it was

Mark-Leggett likes this.
  18. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (780) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Had Founders Pale ale on Nitro and it was not good after a few sips. Felt like it went flat. Had some blood orange IPA too, not good.

Founders oatmeal stout was also not enjoyable, the flavor was dulled down by the nitro

I can see the darker beers and that nice mouth feel but I think the beer needs to have some good body and flavor to start with.

I do enjoy the Guinness and even that can feel a bit thin at times but I do enjoy it.

Overall not a nitro fan but will try them now and again.

Enjoy

Scrapss and Mark-Leggett like this.
  19. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (515) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

IMHO Left Hand really nailed the nitro. Most others are meh. Nitro IPAs are not my thing but any other style especially the darker the better.
    Now I want a nitro milk stout

StoutsAllDay and Mark-Leggett like this.
  20. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (4,208) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Society Trader

I love nitro beers, Souther Tier's Nitro Blackwater Series was probably my favorite release of 2019. S'mores was easily one of the 5 best beers I had last year.

Mark-Leggett likes this.
  21. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Meyvn (1,031) Oct 17, 2012 Texas
    Trader

Stouts on nitro aren't bad. I prefer co2, though.

I once had an IPA on Nitro. that was a truly terrible experience. Never again.

Mark-Leggett likes this.
  22. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (632) Mar 28, 2009 California

The right style it’s really good. The wrong style I hate it. Don’t love it. I guess that’s an eh?

Mark-Leggett likes this.
  23. CheapHysterics

CheapHysterics Aspirant (242) Apr 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

Sometimes a beer on nitro is a thing of beauty and sometimes it just doesn't work and ruins an otherwise good beer. So I voted eh, but what I meant was it depends on the beer.

24. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,370) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Most I've tried were okay, nothing that would inspire strong feelings one way or another. Therefore, Eh.

Mark-Leggett and PapaGoose03 like this.
  25. Foyle

Foyle Savant (951) Sep 29, 2007 North Carolina

To each his own, but I find them a disgusting waste of time and money. Give me a CO2 brew everytime.

26. Rainintheface

Rainintheface Champion (804) Apr 30, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Yes to stouts and porters. Anything else, if the mood dictates and the beer menu is nothing special, I might try something.

Mark-Leggett likes this.
  27. Czequershuus

Czequershuus Poo-Bah (2,018) Feb 7, 2014 Minnesota
    Society

I gather I am an outlier, because I absolutely love nitro beer, especially non-stout options. ESBs. ambers, and IPAs just get such a cool texture from it.

28. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Devotee (489) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

I also like the occasional nitro beer when the nitro is done correctly. In stouts it can be visually appealing and add to the enjoyment of the beer.
    I don't see the use of nitro much in breweries in my area.
    I had a Nitro IPA that was very different, and not terrible.
    I did have a canned Murphy's Irish Stout with nitro that I thought was pretty good.
    Overall, I like nitro with the certain beers.

#28 Singlefinpin, Mar 11, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    Mark-Leggett and beerwego like this.
  29. Miles_in_beer_city

Miles_in_beer_city Devotee (408) Jun 18, 2014 North Carolina
    Society

I chose love, but it has to be the right beer and typically a dark beer.
    One of the local breweries that we frequent always has their stout and their vanilla porter on nitro. Though typically an IPA drinker, and they have some I really like, I always have the stout or porter on nitro.

Mark-Leggett and TongoRad like this.
  30. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,122) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

You enjoyed the Bud reserve nitro gold or was this sarcasm?

Mark-Leggett likes this.
  31. beerwego

I enjoyed it. So did the three people I was with.

32. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,361) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

I have nothing against nitro beers

I like a good Boddington's ale every now and again and the first time i had Old Rasputin was on nitro and that was a revelation.

33. jglenn73

jglenn73 Initiate (116) Jul 28, 2015 New Jersey

Besides various stouts, I've had Hop Devil on nitro many times, love it and it may actually be better than regular. Also had Nugget Nectar nitro once and that was pretty good. Oh and had Rubeus on nitro before, that worked well.

Mark-Leggett likes this.
  34. beerwego

Add Old Rasputin to my list....not sure how I could forget that one. Right up there with Wake Up Dead

traction and Bitterbill like this.
  35. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,122) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Carton does a great job with nitro beers. Carton of Milk Nitro, Cupid Nitro, Regular Coffee Nitro, Basic Coffee Nitro, etc.....all are awesome

Mark-Leggett likes this.
  36. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,076) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

I picked "Eh" but I'm tempted to put hate. I really don't like nitro at all anymore. It makes the beer so damn watery and bland. The only reason I put "eh" instead of "hate" is that I still drink Guinness every once in a while...although even Guinness Draught doesn't hold the same charm to me as it used to. I could happily never drink another nitro beer again.

37. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,359) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Eh is about right.

Mark-Leggett likes this.
  38. Roadkizzle

Roadkizzle Aspirant (221) Nov 6, 2007 Texas

I selected Hate. I don't mind Guinness on nitro occasionally but I just find that the Nitro kills the flavor and aroma of beers. I haven't had one I didn't wish was carbonated instead.

39. basics

basics Initiate (88) Oct 27, 2011 North Carolina
    Trader

Really works best for low abv stouts/porters as well as pale ales (founders -- though I dont know if they still make theirs) and occassionally ESBs and ambers. I appreciate a well done nitro beer, though I dont see them very often these days.

I used to sell Ballast Point and we would get Sculpin on nitro and I enjoyed that quite a bit but it was so expensive we stopped carrying it.

Mark-Leggett likes this.
  40. beerwego

I think the notion that nitro "kills " is well exaggerated. For example, pour a Guinness and let it warm up to the right drinking temp and you'll find plenty of aroma and flavor to go around. Put it next to a a Guinness Extra Stout and you won't find a major difference.

I've left a half-pint of Guinness unfinished and finished it the next morning and the beer was still delicious. This does not prove my former point, I'm just putting it out there

beertunes, Mark-Leggett and Warwick7 like this.