No love for OEC?

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by Johnct, Jun 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnct

Johnct Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2014 New York

Just made my way to the brewery for the first time over the weekend for the second anniversary party. I had tried some of their 'usual suspects' before which I thought were all quite nice. At the brewery though, the beers I tried were top top top notch. Seriously special beers, sours I'd take over any other brewery any day of the week.

I'm in a few facebook beer groups and everyone seems to have a similar opinion on OEC - they're producing some of the best experimental beers in the world right now. So, why no love for them on BA? No one seems to rate their beers or review them. Do people outside of New England even know about OEC?

kegtapper, teckademic and PatrickCT like this.
  2. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

What does OEC stand for?

Angerhaus, PapaGoose03 and hopsputin like this.
  3. Johnct

It's a brewery in Connecticut. Ordinem Eccentrici Coctores.

drtth likes this.
  4. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Poo-Bah (1,797) Nov 4, 2015 New York
    Society

"Do people outside of New England even know about OEC?"
    No. ; ) At first glance, my beer-influenced brain said " OPEC, on BA, wtf?"
    (Off to [virtually] check them out. :slight_smile: )

samuraichamploo and Johnct like this.
  5. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (2,319) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Society

I was at their second anniversary as well as their first. I am a big fan.
    But let's look at the facts. They make only sours. People can only get bottles at the brewery which is open once a week. And I have only seen O.E.C. on tap once in the last 2 years. I don't get the impression they are promoting themselves. Everyone likes their beers though.

6. akolb

akolb Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2015 Colorado
    Deactivated

Never heard of them, but OEC is one of the more unfortunate acronyms to befall a brewery.

mikeinportc likes this.
  7. PatrickCT

Society

It didn't befall them. That is what they call themselves.

8. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

I believe they're not intending to promote themselves in the modern sense. Their Beer will do the Talking if they're skilled or not. I like the Tongue and Cheek humor with the Bad Latin.

PatrickCT and Johnct like this.
  9. PatrickCT

Society

I understand letting ones product speak for itself. But I think it would be a good idea for them to let folks know they exist. Aside from my post the responses have been "wtf is O.E.C.?"
    Im glad you like them, though. It is nice having a brewery dedicated to sours 40 minutes away from me.

TongoRad, Shroud0fdoom and Johnct like this.
  10. Johnct

I have to agree. I feel like they'll be on top of trade forums after another year or two once people begin to learn about them. Either way, for the time being, they seem to be very happy where they are, so I guess I can understand why they don't do more marketing

PatrickCT and Shroud0fdoom like this.
  11. Shroud0fdoom

I dig, I dig. Well, now that this thread exists, expect their website to be IP Flooded and Neo Hipsters saying they've been a big fan for years!

DirtyDawg10 and PatrickCT like this.
  12. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Disciple (362) Feb 24, 2011 New Jersey

Also OEC is associated with B. United International..

sulldaddy and PatrickCT like this.
  13. PatrickCT

Society

Yes. I believe the dad owns B United. The head brewer of O.E.C. is the son. I could be wrong.
    A lot of the beers they blend with are B United imports.

Johnct and Giovannilucano like this.
  14. PatrickCT

Society

How did you come across their beer?

15. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Disciple (362) Feb 24, 2011 New Jersey

I do believe you are correct!

PatrickCT likes this.
  16. skleice

skleice Aspirant (299) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Ive heard nothing but stellar reviews. I'm just tip toeing into sours, but I'm planning my first visit in a couple of weeks. Should be a great day!

PatrickCT likes this.
  17. Shroud0fdoom

I haven't, I like their Concept though. If I came off as having their beer before, I apologize, but We need more eccentric Brewers on the map!

18. Johnct

Regardless of whether you end up enjoying their beers or not, the brewery itself and the surrounding property is amazing. You'll have a great day

PatrickCT likes this.
  19. PatrickCT

Society

It is a wonderful property and the and staff are wonderful.

20. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Poo-Bah (1,843) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Society Trader

Never heard of them, there are so many awesome breweries right now there will always be a few that go under the radar for a long time.

Johnct likes this.
  21. PatrickCT

Society

I was trying to find worthy descriptions of some of their beers to copy and paste but I couldn't.
    [​IMG]

TongoRad, Shroud0fdoom and Johnct like this.
  22. Shroud0fdoom

That Baciami Lipsia (Base Beer) is such a great Gose. I'd like to try that Barrel Aged!

Johnct and TongoRad like this.
  23. PatrickCT

Society

That was my favorite yesterday. I think their Gose and Berliner Weisse beers are O.E.C. strong points. Even though the base of this one isn't theirs.

Shroud0fdoom and Johnct like this.
  24. tripledbrew

tripledbrew Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2011 Kentucky

Never heard of them. Love the sours, would love to try some of theirs.

25. samuraichamploo

samuraichamploo Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2013 New York

I'm going this weekend and I'm giving them a good portion of my money. The rest is going to Tree House.

26. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,497) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I see them on tap in NYC rarely. The only beer I've had from them was a barrel aged Gose. Pinot Noir, gin, tequila barrels. It was phenomenal. Called Gosetaquin. One of the most complex and flavorful beers I've had. Would love to try more.

27. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,098) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Love their beer, and now the cat is out of the bag. :slight_smile:

With Kent Falls also brewing phenomenal beers in Ct. and Hudson Valley Brewery and Suarez Family Brewers soon to join the party in NY, it is a great time for NY and Ct. sours/wilds/saisons lovers.

teckademic, TongoRad and PatrickCT like this.
  28. PatrickCT

Society

Come on. Don't mention Kent Falls in public forums.

29. DougC123

DougC123 Disciple (357) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut

Too small and regional for everyone to care about it. Most people in NE don't know about them, so when you add the rest of the country in you get 99.999%. Mathematical fact.

Pisthetaerus likes this.
  30. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,098) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

But okay for you to help OEC blow up? :wink: Face it this whole thread should not exist.

ceeg, mjord23, Shroud0fdoom and 2 others like this.
  31. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Sounds a bit like Haw River. It's very local and not widely available. Specialty is farm house ales, if you like the style you know them , if not you don't.

32. Johnct

I feel as if I've broken so many unwritten rules starting this thread

PatrickCT likes this.
  33. PatrickCT

Society

All you did was weaken a country today, Kaffee.

34. BecauseWhalezbro

BecauseWhalezbro Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2015 Colorado

I gotta say alot of what they make is good, and very unique. But damn when they miss they miss. The sour stouts are brutal. Gosatequin is up there with hose for best gose iver had

eb1610, PatrickCT and Johnct like this.
  35. Johnct

Very true. I really appreciate the attitude that goes into the brewing/blending process though. I assume they think "I know we can do this, but should we? ....oh who gives a shit let's do it anyway"

There are some big misses though

PatrickCT and BecauseWhalezbro like this.
  36. GMorr

GMorr Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2015 Wisconsin

Can't fault the go after it attitude. I love trying that stuff, even if it produces some "misses"! It reminds the regular guy of what homebrewing is all about.

37. Burntfoot

Burntfoot Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey

I went on their 3 hour tour last month.. they are doing some incredible stuff!! first visit was a little over a year ago and i gotta say mind blowing brews for sure... some even too sour lol

38. BranfordBound

BranfordBound Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2010 Connecticut

I agree with a lot of other posters that OEC has kept to themselves and is this "best known secret" of CT breweries. They are up in Oxford, CT (near Black Hog), and it's a bit difficult to get to for most people unless you're in the valley or nearby. For me in Branford the trip is nearing 45 minutes, and in that same amount time down 95 or up 91 I can go a lot further than Oxford.

I have never seen them on tap or on any bottle list. Their brewery is only open on Saturday, though I've heard through the grapevine that if you call ahead on like a Friday they will sneak in a growler fill or two for you.

While Kent Falls has the same inaccessibility in terms of location (if not much more), they are trying their hardest to spread their beer and grow organically, whereas OEC seems content with their current hole-in-the-wall type feeling. Lots of people love OEC, but not enough people have tried their beers to spread that love. I've been drinking craft for 6 years and OEC has been open for about 2 of them and I have still not had a single one yet. Shame, really.

Johnct likes this.
  39. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Aspirant (256) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont

Great beers - but we don't get them in VT, and a long trip down there. Never on my way to anywhere. Did used to enjoy their kegged stuff at Ebenezer's in ME.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.