No love for OEC?

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by Johnct, Jun 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fujii13

Fujii13 Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2011 New York

Yo quiet down about OEC, no one else needs to know about them.

(But seriously though, one of the most beautiful breweries I've been to and they are making some of the best/most interesting beers in New England as long as you aren't looking for hoppy milk water.)

sandman3479 and jtodeasa like this.
  2. Lamnic

Lamnic Initiate (197) Mar 1, 2012 Connecticut

Cool write up.

OEC is the best. Their beers are all different and interesting. It's my favorite place to hang out. It's never too crowded. Let's keep it that way :slight_smile:

3. DirtyDawg10

DirtyDawg10 Initiate (132) Apr 5, 2016 Connecticut

I have heard of OEC but have never been down to the brewery. I am a fan of several but not all sours. There are plenty of people who don't like them at all though. I'm guessing it is not as well known yet because they aren't tapping into the current IPA boom. Less demand for sour beers so less exposure as well. I definitely need to get down there and check them out though. Maybe a Black Hog, Kent Falls and OEC trip. I'll have to check and see if that's a possibility.

4. xanok

xanok Aspirant (271) Aug 13, 2009 Connecticut
    Society

In what world is OEC unknown? Is everyone on this thread brand new to BA? Most people I know regard them as one of the top breweries in the state. The only brewery I can think of that I definitely like more is NEBCO. OEC and Beer'd are 2a and 2b. Steady Habit and Kent Falls after that.

5. Bcelos

Bcelos Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2015 Connecticut

The thing about OEC is that they do not usually brew any hoppier beers or IPAs, which most people search out for now-a-days, and their pricing format can get expensive. Most bottles range in the $12-15 area and can get more expensive from there, which can outprice a lot of consumers. Their beer also does not really get distributed and you never see it anywhere on tap.

That being said, however, OEC is doing some of the coolest beermaking in New England. They have an incredible operation and insane blending program and our producing some of the best sours i've experienced. I recommend to everyone to go and try the 7 sampler flight, it's expensive, but worth it, and represents the types of beers they have available.

I love OEC and have enjoyed the multiple types of beers that I have tried from them however I can understand why it's not very popular among a lot of the craft beer community. In many ways the beers OEC is brewing are more like wine then beer. It's also hard to personally crush a bomber of Tempus solo so a lot of their beers require drinking friends/ sharing which some people simply don't have the time for.

6. abagofit

abagofit Initiate (180) Oct 31, 2014 Massachusetts

I feel like I have entered the twilight zone with this thread. I thought everyone knew about OEC. They have always been well known for people who drink sours. Also, they were on tap at Row 34 two weeks ago for those of you saying you've never seen them on tap. They were also on tap that the ginger man around their opening...

7. jtodeasa

jtodeasa Initiate (91) Nov 11, 2015 Connecticut

Tony . . .

8. bostonwolf

bostonwolf Initiate (127) Jan 20, 2015 Massachusetts

There beers are on tap all over Boston, so I'm not sure this is true.

Johnct likes this.
  9. Faxmesomehalibut

Faxmesomehalibut Devotee (477) May 22, 2014 New Hampshire
    Trader

No one outside of the NE knows about them, and let's keep it that way!!! Hahha

10. jtodeasa

To my understanding, OEC beers will never be distributed in CT. Something to do with distribution through B. United, crazy. This explains why I can get personal OEC bottles sent to me at my place of work, but will never be allowed to sell those same bottles at the restaurant.

11. BranfordBound

BranfordBound Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2010 Connecticut

Wow, great write up. I just got stuck on your blog for about an hour reading older stories. Love it!

12. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Initiate (0) Jun 7, 2005 New York

Yeah, good luck with that...

sandman3479 likes this.
  13. jtodeasa

With what? Getting him on here?
    I went to high school with him, and he is also my B. United salesman, and an all around great guy.

SteveSexton203 likes this.
  14. KingCobra686

KingCobra686 Initiate (127) Aug 13, 2014 Connecticut
    Society

I don't think they are known very well outside of CT, but within the state they are pretty highly regarded. I didnt make it to the 2nd anniversary this year, but I went to the 1st anniversary event last year and it was wild.

Their sours are very creative and unique and seem more about making cool beers than about slapping a label on a fruity and slightly tart beer for the summer crowd.

15. samuraichamploo

samuraichamploo Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2013 New York

Made my first visit last month on a Friday which meant I could only buy bottles. Bought a few of each. Beautiful brewery, all the beers were great. Might go again next week, a quick trip there and back. Do they announce which bottles are available anywhere? I'd hate to drive two hours for the same swag.

16. skleice

skleice Aspirant (299) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Everything is on their website.

17. ajcuster89

ajcuster89 Aspirant (205) Apr 14, 2014 Indiana

I feel like they don't market as much as other breweries partly because the bottle counts for their releases are absurdly low, like around 300 every time, with 2-3pp allotments. Not saying that's the only factor, but if they blew up even a quarter of the rate of someone like Tree House, releases and parties at the brewery would be a mess. OEC is content with where they are, and I am too. It's not everywhere where you can get multiple CASES of world-class sours on any given Saturday! Enjoy it while it lasts people!!

18. samuraichamploo

samuraichamploo Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2013 New York

I see three bottles under the June 4th anniversary banner, is that their offerings as of right now? Searching the rest of the site is does not reveal anything else. If that's the case I'll hold my trip off until they have five or six bottles to bring home.

19. JosephThompson

JosephThompson Initiate (143) Nov 29, 2011 New Jersey

Normally you would click the light pink colored "Tasting Room & Visiting" and it would list drafts and bottles, however the last week or so it has had a server error 500 issue.

20. Lupin

Lupin Devotee (493) Jun 4, 2006 Connecticut
    Society Trader

They average at least 5 bottles at a time. The current list is on their tasting room page, which appears to be down right now. You could give them a call and ask what is or will be available. If you arrange it beforehand, you can pop in on a weekday for bottles even during non-retail hours.

21. Knifestyles

If you get the 500 error then that typically means that they're in the process of updating the page itself.

According to the tasting room list right now:

Bottle List:

III Dry-Hopped With Centennial - 500ml - Limit 6 per customer. LOW STOCK
    Artista Zynergia: Morpheus & Phantsus - 750ml - Limit 6 per customer.
    Pasca - 750ml - Limit 6 per customer.
    Salsus (Blend #2) - 750ml - 4.9% abv - Limit 6 per customer. LOW STOCK
    Tempus (Blend #6) - 750ml -5.9% abv - Limit 6 per customer.

Growler List:

II - OEC/750ml: $10 - 32oz/1L: $12.50 - 64oz/2L: $25
    III Dry-Hopped With Mosaic - OEC/750ml: $14, includes price of the growler, PRE-FILLED ONLY
    Exilis - OEC/750ml: $8 - 32oz/1L: $10.25 - 64oz/2L: $20.50

It's also worth signing up for their email list as they send out a weekly update ahead of their open days (last week's came on Thursday). They'll be open next Tuesday as well.

22. WiscoNYC

WiscoNYC Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2012 New York

How busy does the brewery usually get? I'm planning to stop by OEC on Saturday en route to Hartford. If I show up at ~2-3pm, what sort of wait times should I expect? Hoping to have a couple on draft and get some bottles to go.

23. Knifestyles

On a non-release day, it's actually pretty mellow. At worst, you may have to stand in a line like 5 or 6 deep.

24. WiscoNYC

WiscoNYC Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2012 New York

Thanks. That sounds perfect.

25. Lupin

Society Trader

Also, highly recommend trying before you buy. Despite the quality and originality, a handful of the beers aren't for everyone. If you dig belgian-style IPAs, though, the III series is amazing.

26. skleice

27. Knifestyles

Releases like the Experimentalis series tends to be the biggest draw. Not uncommon to see some players rolling up in the early hours for those. More "basic" releases aren't a madhouse at all. Easy to roll up and get what you need without any trouble.

I really regret not making it to Festivus last weekend....dat Xyauyu barrel.

28. Johnct

Johnct Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2014 New York

Yeah Festivus was last weekend btw.

I'm very angry I didn't make it, I wanted that Xyauyu more than anyone.

But to answer your question, if you don't go on a release day, it's a pleasant experience. I've gone several times to pick up a few bottles and the only people there were me and the brewers

29. skleice

Oh....durrrr. I'm good at reading dates :astonished:

What's a flight of $8 generally cost?

Johnct likes this.
  30. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Aspirant (250) Oct 27, 2007 Connecticut

Going out on a limb here and saying $8! :-)

31. Lupin

Society Trader

Showed up 12:30 for festivus via Uber and had ticket 64, which was filled around 2:30 or so.. Got two bottles of Vindemia Rossa for my vintage bottles. Apparently fruited sours are cool.. unless they're made with grapes.

The xyauauyayayuu was interesting and it was cool to see people leaving with lots of pannetones. For whatever reason, I really enjoyed the Del Ducato Ottobre. The new Albus sake blend was weird/good, and Vindemia Blanc was trremendous.

Janeinma and rhino88888888 like this.
  32. TheDudeFromTheThing

TheDudeFromTheThing Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2016 Connecticut

I love that place. Absolutely stunning in the spring or fall. However, I wish they would lower bottle limits for Experimentalis releases. Showing up an hour before open in the rain just to be told the bottles were all spoken for 45 minutes earlier is some serious bullshit. Make it 1 or 2 bottles and everyone can get some while probably still selling out, and definitely selling out on the next Saturday. That bottle share is quite impressive though. You see lots of fancy beers if you get there early.

eb1610 likes this.
  33. Shwilly_Vanilli

Shwilly_Vanilli Initiate (154) Dec 20, 2013 Connecticut
    Trader

OEC has a magnificent tasting room, and really makes some great sours. They are a totally unique brewery experience in CT. However, as fun as the bottle share at their Experimentalis releases can be, for me the enjoyment gets dampened by how excruciatingly slow the bottle purchase process is. It makes zero sense that they haven't found a faster way to process sales. People are lining up hours in advance. Staff walk down the line handing out order cards. They could easily collect the cards and get many of the purchases organized by the time the sale begins. It's the #1 complaint I hear from everyone I ever talk to about visiting OEC when they're having a special bottle release.

TheDudeFromTheThing likes this.
  34. ElmerTLee

ElmerTLee Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2015 Connecticut

Wife and I planned on going there today, but its 2 hours from me and this weather blows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.