NODA In South Carolina

Discussion in 'South Atlantic' started by Schultz, Oct 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schultz

Schultz Crusader (467) Jan 19, 2008 Maryland

I hear that NODA beers are now available in South Carolina. Is this true?

2. chefkevlar

chefkevlar Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2010 South Carolina

They started sending cans to SC at the end of August, but the beer has been available in kegs for quite a while, and there were even bottles a couple times way back when. They only sell in the Fort Mill and Columbia markets also not the entire state.

Craigory likes this.
  3. rgordon

rgordon Pooh-Bah (2,677) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

Interesting marketing locales.They surely can't find their way to distribute in North Carolina. Do N.C. retailers still pick up beer at Noda?

nc41 likes this.
  4. NoMoreBeerBelly

NoMoreBeerBelly Pundit (813) Dec 2, 2009 North Carolina

They use Comer Distributing out of Rock Hill for SC distribution (along with Birdsong, OMB, D9).

rgordon likes this.
  5. rgordon

Pooh-Bah Society

Seems like they might find a smaller N.C. distributor to stretch some N.C. coverage...... Or have they trained N.C. retailers enough to continue to drive to Charlotte for self service? If so, it seems like a pretty good trick to me. Are any of their beers still in big demand?

6. Subcontrabass

Subcontrabass Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2014 North Carolina

If I recall correctly, NoDa was among the NC breweries fighting against the 25K self-distribution cap in NC.

7. NoMoreBeerBelly

They can't/won't use a distributor in NC because if they do, they sign over the rights to basically forever which they are wildly opposed to. I don't know if out of town retailers drive in or if they have a central spot they meet weekly for pickup, etc. For in-town accounts, they still use their own delivery trucks to stock the stores.

Every Harris Teeter in Charlotte carries Noda along with most restaurants and bars. They have no issues getting up close to the 25k barrel self distribution limit by just serving CLT metro area. They and OMB are in the same boat as far as opposing to use a distributor in NC because neither want to lose 10+ employees (reps, delivery, logistics) and lose control of the beer. They want NC to lift the 25k barrel limit to 50-100k so that they can grow the area without giving up control.

lateralusbeer, Craigory and rgordon like this.
  8. rgordon

Pooh-Bah Society

I do understand the franchise laws and how they cut both ways. A brewery can truly get screwed by an under-performing wholesaler, but a brewery can also have unrealistic expectations of a new wholesaler. I am basically against franchise laws being so terse and strictly binding. As is (one case sale of beer provides franchise) the franchise laws are tantamount to some type of equity or value. Breaking ties between a brewer and a wholesaler does currently favor the wholesaler. In any case, given that Noda does self-distribute in the Charlotte region, and has enough beer to dabble in South Carolina, why wouldn't they try a bit more "self distribution" across North Carolina? If one would ask me, I would say that they are unwilling to give up margin (with distributor sales), that the cost of further self-distribution would be very high (trucks, new employees, gas, etc), and that Charlotte is a very poor locus for distribution across a huge territory- Charlotte is only a bit better to distribute to the entire state from than Asheville or Wilmington. If they are happy with their current distribution techniques, then that's good. North Carolina is a very large, beer thirsty state- more Noda in more N.C. locales would be welcome. Dropping down into South Carolina for a small amount of distribution- regardless of their franchise laws- seems like the easy way out. But that's just my opinion.

9. lateralusbeer

lateralusbeer Savant (1,158) Feb 7, 2010 North Carolina
    Trader

That is correct. And the law is so insane, even the beer they sell through a distributor in SC counts against that cap.

10. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,837) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

While I am not in favor of the law, it makes sense to me - the total amount of beer produced is counted against the cap regardless of where it is going to be sold (I'm sure that same count is used for taxing the brewery as well).

11. aleckpa

aleckpa Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2010 North Carolina

I'm not sure how much demand their beers are. Hop Drop is too inconsistent and I've accepted the fact it will never be what it was. Gordgeous is one of the fall beers I really look forward to. The brewery only releases like Hop Cakes and Hoppy Holidays still stand out to me. Monstro is being released soon, but that was hit or miss for some people.

rgordon likes this.
  12. OldManMetal

OldManMetal Savant (1,071) Jun 5, 2015 North Carolina

Hey!Beer in Wilmington picks up from them in Charlotte... they're usually well-stocked with NoDa as a consequence.

rgordon likes this.
  13. KRubes

KRubes Savant (1,183) Sep 7, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

^^^ This. I think they novelty has worn off in the Triangle. You can find their beer sitting around in most shops these days. I tend to pass. There are other things I'm more interested in drinking/trying.

14. NoMoreBeerBelly

Well like I said, their beer is in every harris teeter, beer store, and restaurant in town. They are pushing the 25k barrel limit for self distribution in a 60m radius (maybe less). Stores drive to them to pick up beer. I think their demand is just fine. Has the hype of hop drop gone, yeah. Do they sell a shit ton of beer, yeah.

15. dailyminefield

dailyminefield Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2012 North Carolina

Hop Cakes and Hoppy Holidays are distributed around the Charlotte area and are not brewery only releases. Hoppy Holidays is the best beer I've had from them. They are releasing a new IPA called Sticky When Wet on Monday the 10th.

Heist and Wooden Robot have passed them by and haven't looked back when it comes to hops. At least that is the general consensus in Charlotte.

16. nc41

nc41 Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Why even deal with this? Roger got stuck having to buy Coco Loco and Jam Session just to buy Hop Drop. Worth it when it was a great beer, not at all when the flagship beer blows. NoDa played some hardball.

17. rgordon

Pooh-Bah Society

Is HD'nR truly continually not its former self? I haven't had one in over a year. I've read about its demise for sure. I totally trust your judgement.

nc41 likes this.
  18. Bfairhurst74

Bfairhurst74 Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2014 North Carolina

Yes.

aleckpa and rgordon like this.
  19. aleckpa

aleckpa Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2010 North Carolina

Every time I have it from a can, it tastes different and never like it's former self. The last time I had a can was a fresh can in July. It was actually good, it just didn't taste like it did when it won a gold medal.

nc41 and rgordon like this.
  20. nc41

nc41 Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I keep checking, it still sucks, how this can be is as big a mystery as the Lost Colony. Then only thing that makes sense is that the Head Brewer is also the owner, or else he would have been canned two years ago. No pun intended there.

rgordon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.