News NOFX Loses Stone Brewing Sponsorship After Joking About Tragic Las Vegas Shooting

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, May 31, 2018.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,507) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff

More:

2. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,361) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Good for Stone, I would not support idiots like these either, what morons.
    Cheers

3. jayrutgers

jayrutgers Aspirant (241) Oct 29, 2011 New Jersey

Good job Stone.

Thankfully this isn't the Beer subreddit on Reddit.com where the topic was invaded by NOFX fans making excuses for this horrible attempt at 'humor'.

4. Hoppsbabo

Hoppsbabo Champion (838) Jan 29, 2012 United Kingdom (England)

Amen to that. Shit band anyway. One of the most annoying voices in rock.

5. BeanBump

BeanBump Aspirant (278) Dec 14, 2016 California

No big loss. The lead singer is an admitted piss drinker (seriously) anyway, so if he had a hand in making this beer...what does that say about the taste?

IPAExpert69 and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  6. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (437) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia

At least I got to tick Punk n Drublic a few months ago :slight_smile:

7. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (285) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Suggesting that people deserve to be shot because they listen to the wrong kind of music is just super punk, guys. What a bunch of jackasses.

redeemer, Dan_K, Justdoit1234 and 5 others like this.
  8. tzieser

tzieser Savant (926) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I used to listen to a bit of NOFX in high school but was never a really huge fan. What a bunch of fucking morons. Good on Stone for donating to the LVMPD Foundation.

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  9. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Initiate (195) Jul 20, 2016 Arizona
    Beer Trader

Good for Stone. I'm a huge fan of their beer and what they do, huge fan of country music, and I love Las Vegas. I had considered going to the festival that year and may have wound up dead, along with the dozens of people who actually were killed. I don't find the joke funny at all, and I'm not the politically correct type. I enjoy and respect all types of music, but needless to say, NOFX is never going to see a penny from me. Idiot.

I may go out and buy some of that beer before it leaves shelves for good, though. I was curious to try it anyway, and I love that Stone is donating the proceeds.

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  10. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Savant (911) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

I don't listen to their music and am not defending them, but this is about all that this is. A very bad attempt at a joke. Can't say that I enjoyed it, but I also can't see how they are suggesting that country fans deserve to get shot, simply that it was good that punk rock fans did not get shot. Big difference.

LET'S BE OFFENDED ABOUT EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. oldbean

I'm perfectly capable of deciding what offends me without your input, thanks.

12. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

Obvi.

13. oldbean

At least no Trappist breweries decided to do something you think is off-brand.

14. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

Good one.

Ozzylizard likes this.
  15. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (756) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Obviously NOFX has a history of these sorts of incidents, so no one should be surprised.

I take this as a pretty (bad) attempt at gallows humor, and I feel it's obvious that he wasn't actually calling for the death of country fans or celebrating that fact. It's a really weak "edgy" joke that didn't land, but Stone obviously had to cut ties in the name of good business sense.

Also, they have a few pretty great albums, IMO, even if they/Fat Mike aren't great people.

JaZoNFoX and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  16. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

Here's my issue with this. It's not like Stone got into this "collaboration" not knowing that NOFX were fucking idiots, so when they prove that they are Stone is immediately offended? Please. And who were they expecting to market the beer to? Anyone other than NOFX fans? Probably not directly, although Punk n Drublic attendees were certainly targeted. If anything, this looks like another Keystone-esque publicity stunt. Except in this case, Stone wants to look like the good guy, which they probably will. I'm starting to like Stone less and less as time goes on.

17. oldbean

I don't think it was calling for the death of country music fans but it certainly was expressing a preference for the death of country music fans over punk fans. Not to mention, making light of mass shootings in any capacity really reflects a failure to read the room. It was a bad joke (just in the sense that there was nothing clever about it, it wasn't really even a "joke" per se), and it was in absolutely terrible taste.

18. AZBeerDude72

They have the right to joke about it sure, but the fans/sponsors have the right to not support them, venues have the right to not allow they to play. Hope they like their new jobs when their career stops.
    LOL

19. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

If you're upset about this, you obviously don't follow our POTUS on Twitter.

Ericness likes this.
  20. AZBeerDude72

It's called smart business, Stone does not want their brand or values associated with some dip shit band who makes dumb ass comments like this. No different than major corporations cutting ties with shows and canceling #1 rated shows for comments made?

21. THANAT0PSIS

Beer Trader

I agree that if Stone didn't want controversy in a collaboration, they should have avoided NOFX. That much seems clear.

22. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

Next up: Stone collaboration with Insane Clown Posse. Wonder how that'll go?

23. THANAT0PSIS

Beer Trader

His argument is that it was basically inevitable that NOFX would do something like this, and most people know they have been controversial before. Stone should not have entered into the partnership, and after they did, they shouldn't be surprised.

stevesbeer and Ozzylizard like this.
  24. THANAT0PSIS

Beer Trader

Copyright infringement, how does it work?

25. AZBeerDude72

So is that any different than any other business? Did we not just see ABC cancel a #1 show? Did they not get into a business deal with a women known for making silly remarks? Same diff.

26. THANAT0PSIS

Beer Trader

I don't think it is expressing a genuine preference. It's a joke. That's it.

I also disagree completely that you can't make light of tragedies. There are plenty of funny jokes about tragic events, but this one sucks because it is lazy and has no craft to it (which we apparently agree on, that it was a poorly constructed joke, that is). You're entitled to be offended by such humor, but others are entitled to find it funny and make such jokes regardless of your (and anyone else's) feelings. It goes without saying that it's in poor taste, but a lot of humor is. Only you can draw your own lines.

27. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

Here's the issue with both of these things. Neither Stone or ABC was unsure of where NOFX or Ms. Barr stood before they began relationships with them. This shows, at least, the inability to do one's due diligence or, at most, not caring about what might happen as they could quickly disavow the relationship saying, "We never knew and are very surprised by this". WTFever.

28. THANAT0PSIS

Beer Trader

I don't really know what you're arguing? Both things should have been foreseen. Both partnerships should have been dissolved in the interest of business, as they are. I think we are on the same page here.

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  29. AZBeerDude72

Correct they did not know, but when it happened they took action to save their brand. So Stone did what it was forced to do, they acted because the band was stupid. If the band wanted to keep them on board then think before you speak.

30. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

Bullshit. You've only got two choices in this scenario. They are: "Stone was naive and incompetent" or "Stone was greedy and turned a blind eye". Which one do you think it was? What happened after the actual event is just spin.

Ozzylizard likes this.
  31. oldbean

It's a super fucking weird argument that since they should have known not to do this in the first place, they're now somehow bound to continue the arrangement. It's like, oh, I didn't have this house checked out for black mold before I bought it, so now I just have to let myself get cancer to teach myself a lesson?

Ok, Stone should have known not to do this. Fine, bad call on their part. Now they've made a good decision rectifying their previous bad decision. Ok... what's the problem with that?

32. oldbean

You can make light of whatever you want, but the onus is on YOU to make sure it actually comes off as a joke. Make all the jokes about 9/11 and dead babies and whatever else you want. But if you decide to tell one at Thanksgiving dinner and it falls flat, that's on you. It's not the audience's responsibility to cover for your failures at humor. There's no requirement that anyone else accommodate whatever shitty jokes you want to try to make.

And if we want to get into a thing about "why is everyone so easily offended, people should have thicker skin", well, if you're so into people having thick skins, you should be able to take some criticism. That is, if people are free to make whatever kinds of jokes they want, then that same freedom extends to criticizing jokes.

33. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

Nobody's saying this. Stone is free to end the arrangement, but the fact that they entered into it in the first place speaks volumes about them.

No, they made press releases saying that they are holier than thou and were completely innocent of any wrongdoing. That's tantamount to saying, "We did a collaboration with this band Skrewdriver and apparently they are super racist. It's not our fault."

chrismattlin and Ozzylizard like this.
  34. Todd

Todd Founder (5,507) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff

This just in...

Camp Punk In Drublic Festival Replaces NOFX & Me First and the Gimme Gimmes With Descendents & The Vandals

For June 1-3 Festival At Legend Valley Near Columbus, OH

Camp Punk In Drublic festival producers have announced that NOFX and Me First And The Gimme Gimmes (featuring Fat Mike) will not be performing at this weekend’s festival at Legend Valley near Columbus, OH.

Descendents have been added to the Saturday festival lineup, replacing NOFX, and The Vandals have been added to the Friday Night Kickoff Party, replacing Me First and the Gimme Gimmes.

While NOFX is known for their dark, uncomfortable humor, the festival producers of Camp Punk In Drublic are shocked and disappointed by the band’s recent statements about the Route 91 Harvest Festival victims and country music fans. These statements do not reflect the feelings or views of the Camp Punk In Drublic festival, its staff, and its sponsors.

The festival producers support fans of all music genres and take safety very seriously at all of their events.

Out of respect for Route 91 Harvest Festival victims and their families, Camp Punk In Drublic will make a donation to a fund benefitting those affected by the 2017 tragedy.

As the only punk rock campout in the country, Camp Punk In Drublic will feature performances by Rancid, Descendents, Pennywise, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, The Vandals, and more, along with a weekend of craft beer tastings (available for purchase), campfire stories from punk legends, and various attractions.

The festival takes place Friday, June 1 (Friday Kickoff Party), Saturday, June 2, and Sunday, June 3 at Legend Valley in Thornville, OH.

Visit www.PunkInDrublicFest.com/Camp for details on Camp Punk In Drublic.

###

Tdizzle and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  35. oldbean

When was the last time NOFX made light of a mass shooting?

36. AZBeerDude72

LOL are you being serious right now. A lot of companies do get into bed with people who are edgy, saying Stone should have avoided them or stayed the course because they knew they were edgy is stupid. They did not do something edgy, they joked about people getting killed. That is beyond edgy it is stupid. So your argument is that Stone should stick with the band since they knew they are edgy? LOL

Stone got into business with them but there is a line and the band crossed it. Stone and probably no company would stand by them after this. That is why you see the fallout as we discuss it. Stone was with them and knew they were edgy sure, but they took it too far, that is the argument at hand. Any sane company out there would walk after this. There is being edgy and crazy and there is saying dumb as shit like this and what they said is toxic, there is no coming back from it.

#36 AZBeerDude72, May 31, 2018
    Last edited: May 31, 2018
  37. rgordon

rgordon Crusader (799) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Sounds kinda like ABC doesn't it? Playing things both ways in most things will eventually bite one in the ass. I'm a long time fan of all kinds of music and can honestly say I don't have a clue who or what NOFX is, beyond knowing them to being obviously demonstrably stupid.

38. dvmin98

dvmin98 Site Editor (2,605) Nov 1, 2010 North Carolina

Faygo IPA?

39. jjamadorphd

jjamadorphd Savant (946) Jul 21, 2012 Florida

Damn I am old...Who the hell is NOFX? I guess I'll just go crawl back to the 80s...

Nonetheless, this isn't a matter of being edgy, offended, or even marginally funny, the attempt at the so-called joke was just plain asinine...

40. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

From the press release in post #34: NOFX is known for their dark, uncomfortable humor.

If Stone wasn't on board with that, they shouldn't have done the collaboration. That's my only argument. Since they, almost certainly, knew about that aspect to NOFX's performances, they're on the hook, too. With information as available as it is, you don't even need to pay someone to check up on them. It's all right there. It's their choice to separate themselves from the band, but to pretend they didn't know that something like this was going to happen is treating everyone reading that press release like they are naive children.

stevesbeer and Ozzylizard like this.