Northeast Oktoberfest Thread

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by Jbrews, Aug 18, 2022.

1. Mikecap

Mikecap Champion (824) May 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

Could be wrong but I feel like when my wife and I went in 2019 it was $20, which included the stein and one pour. Maybe no free pour but it wasn’t over $20. This said, everything costs more today than it did in 2019.

braineater likes this.
  2. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,995) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Looked back at old threads and used some Google-Fu.

2021:

$30 to get in got you a 1 liter Notch Steinkrug and that first liter was free (limited to first 200 attendees). Or you could just pay $15 to get in.

2020:

I don't believe they had an Oktoberfest in 2020.

2019:

Details
    • $20 entrance fee includes limited edition Notch Steinkrug (brand new design!)
    • Feel free to bring any Steinkrug from the past two years and get in for $10
    • Teens: $10
    • Under 12: Free
    • Sorry, no dogs for this event

Mikecap, DucRacer900 and Jbrews like this.
  3. MattOC

MattOC Crusader (701) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Latest post from Notch regarding Oktoberfest, free admission to each event/location and $20 if you want the commemorative half liter steinkrug.

Rug, Mikecap, Davl22 and 3 others like this.
  4. UrbanBeerNerd

UrbanBeerNerd Aspirant (242) Feb 13, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

My single fav OFest is from von Trapp (though Ayinger is probably a close second). Never, ever disappoints. Just got a case, and the first one I had was glorious. Didn't even care if it was 85 degrees F in Boston while I drank it, though marzens always go down better when there's a chill to the air. On the note of von Trapp, I don't think anybody mentioned their Octoberfest event yet, in Stowe, VT, on Saturday, Sept. 17. Prost.

5. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,543) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

That's what the "Tools - Report" option down there V is for. Just hit it in your OP and ask a Mod to edit your subject line.

Rfro5, jmdrpi, jonphisher and 2 others like this.
  6. BJC

BJC Aspirant (200) Nov 9, 2002 New Jersey

A twelve pack in New Jersey for $16. Very tasty and a good price

7. Jbrews

Jbrews Disciple (368) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

Damn! Love me some Von Trapp Oktoberfest and have had it there on the lawn. That event is tempting.

UrbanBeerNerd likes this.
  8. Jow13

Jow13 Disciple (317) Apr 5, 2016 Massachusetts
    Society

First Oktoberfest of the year tonight at City Tap in seaport. Turtle Swamp Happy Place. It’s was ok but excited to get the season started. Looking to grab 12 pack of East Rock oktoberfest for myself and some guests Saturday.

rhino88888888 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  9. another_beer_in_the_wall

another_beer_in_the_wall Initiate (45) Jun 9, 2019 Rhode Island
    Trader

How’s the Yeungling ofest? I tend to keep their Black and Tan cans in the beer fridge year round.

10. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Poo-Bah (1,875) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

Only saw the four pack so far.

11. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Poo-Bah (1,875) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

Waiting to see the 12 packs of Carton Festy at the store. Last year I enjoyed festbiers more so than the Oktoberfest marzens.

Rfro5 and Elfastball7 like this.
  12. rhino88888888

rhino88888888 Initiate (137) Dec 12, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Not exactly an Oktoberfest, but the Pemberton Market "Pemberfest" is taking place on Sept 10. Sounds like a good time.

"We'll have 40+ different samples from the following: Cambridge Brewing Co., Castle Island Brewing, Greater Good, Jacks Abby Brewing/Springdale, Lamplighter, Idle Hands, Mighty Squirrel, Dorchester Brewing, Widowmaker, Notch Brewing and More!
    Tickets are only $22 PLUS we'll give you the whole value of the ticket back as a coupon to spend in our store on great products from the breweries pouring at the event. All samples are included in your admission price."

https://pemberfest2022.brownpapertickets.com/

13. tynian16

tynian16 Initiate (174) Oct 23, 2015 New York

Not sure if this was mentioned but Human Robot released their Festbier this week. Had it on tap in Jenkintown last night and it was quite tasty.

14. AlcahueteJ

Society

Tucher Festbier on tap is my favorite so far.

That and 3 Floyd's Munster Fest are on tap at Elm Street Tap Room in Davis Square.

15. Bierman9

Bierman9 Poo-Bah (5,558) Dec 20, 2001 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

Friend of mine who works in a beer store mentioned that Founders has a 10% bourbon barrel aged Märzen.... anyone try this yet?

Prosit!!

16. jonphisher

jonphisher Poo-Bah (1,519) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  17. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (8,978) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Picked up packs of Troegs and Neshaminy Creeks Marzens this morning. But they will probably live in my fridge until after Labor Day.

18. bruindre

bruindre Defender (646) Jun 20, 2009 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Didn’t Trustees of Reservation host Notch for a mini-Oktoberfest in past years? I want to say I have a few steins down cellar from a past event. Prob. not the same options as at one of the Notch sites, but it was a nice low-key spot to enjoy some beers….I’d go back.

19. TheMattJones88

TheMattJones88 Aspirant (233) Sep 12, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Grabbed a 4-pack of Berkshire Brewing's Life on Marzen. It was fine. I'm looking forward to 4-packs of Copper Legend.

20. Mikecap

Mikecap Champion (824) May 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

Had a few this past week on vacation in Vermont:

Von Trapp (on tap) - very good this year, malt forward. Enjoyed more than usual
    Weihenstephan Fest (can) - dig the format, tastes like it normally does
    Rock Art Rocktober Festival (can) - it was fine, leaned toward marzen style
    Idletyme (on tap) - another marzen style. Enjoyable enough for a pint, not spectacular
    Lost Nation Marzen (on tap) - this was good as well, malty and doughy
    Stone Corral Oktoberfest (can) - marzen style, didn’t do much for me

Favorites of the week were Weihenstephan and Von Trapp. Still have this years’ iterations of Zero Gravity, Four Quarters and Schilling in the fridge to try.

21. WillemHC

WillemHC Initiate (155) Jun 21, 2013 Utah

I drank a few too many of those over the weekend.. such a good beer.

Chroma914 likes this.
  22. rdecker679

rdecker679 Initiate (31) Oct 8, 2015 Massachusetts

Not exactly NE based, but saw it available around...Anyone tried Founder's Ultimate Oktoberfest? As a fan of all things Marzen, I'm seduced by it, but not sure if the style would retain it's charm with a bourbon shot.

23. jonphisher

jonphisher Poo-Bah (1,519) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Bunch of thoughts, talk and reviews. Here you go…

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/founders-ultimate-oktoberfest-bba-marzen.668439/

And if memory serves me correct 2-3 reviews this past NBW…

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/new-beer-weekend-110.668659/

24. rdecker679

rdecker679 Initiate (31) Oct 8, 2015 Massachusetts

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  25. pbrian

pbrian Crusader (752) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

Was at Whole Foods to pick up a couple items on the way home, Copper Legend on sale for $7.99 a four pack. We’ll that’s a no-brainer! Delicious, although it does lean more Marzen than festbier and I generally prefer the later, but this one is always so money regardless.

dano213 and kp7 like this.
  26. AlcahueteJ

Society

Haha. I commented in that thread on Sam Adam’s barrel-aged Octoberfest I had at the brewery last year and I actually liked it. I went in with the fair assumption it wasn’t going to taste like their regular Octoberfest.

I’ll do the same with this one, and I fully plan on picking up a few singles. My fridge is flush with Oktoberfests right now so there’s stiff competition. But I’ll get there and be sure to post my opinion.

Grab a single or two and give it a whirl! Worst case scenario you’ll catch a sweet buzz off this monster.

My favorite out off about 10 or so Oktoberfests this year is Tucher’s on draft. Out of this world good in my opinion if you like pale Oktoberfests.

DrStiffington, Witherby and mvogt like this.
  27. rhino88888888

Trader

Old Magoun's picked a bad time of year to stop updating their online draft list! I guess I'll have to walk the four blocks over there and see if they have any Oktoberfests pouring yet

In other Magoun news: According to Facebook, their Oktoberfest celebration is scheduled for two dates: Oct 1 and Oct 8. Not much info yet but it does say they will have live music both days.

Sheppard, AlcahueteJ and SunDevilBeer like this.
  28. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Defender (671) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Berkshire's Ofest is an old favorite of mine but I haven't seen it years. Memorable because it packs a relative booze punch at 6.8 ABV

29. AlcahueteJ

Society

They haven't updated Olde Magoun's or Long Cross' tap lists in weeks, kind of annoying.

I've just been checking Untappd to see what people check in...not really helpful since the large majority of people check in the same IPAs over and over again....Juice Freak, Cactus...etc.

Fortunately Magoun's typically put their Oktoberfests on the week after Labor Day like clock work. So you should see these in spades next week.

Long Cross has Oktoberfests (and an Oktoberfest celebration as well), albeit less drafts of Oktoberfest than Magoun's if I recall correctly.

As an aside, if you're in Somerville and craving Oktoberfests on draft, Elm Street has Tucher and 3 Floyds Munsterfest on tap.

SunDevilBeer and rhino88888888 like this.
  30. TheMattJones88

TheMattJones88 Aspirant (233) Sep 12, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

That was my biggest issue with it, but welp, still have 3 more cans in the fridge, so I guess I'll drink'em.

31. kp7

kp7 Initiate (137) Feb 8, 2021 Massachusetts

It is also $8 a 4-pack at the brewery this year and I'm pretty sure it was $12 for the same last year. It would be great if JA could brew at a large enough scale that their seasonals get the same pricing as their core line 4 packs, and they reserve the $12/pack price for the specialty and one-off brews. Maybe we are seeing that now due to their increased distribution footprint? That said, I'll still be getting a 12-pack instead.

SunDevilBeer and pbrian like this.
  32. sethmeister

sethmeister Defender (681) Feb 21, 2007 New Hampshire

So far this year I've tried Paulaner, Zero Gravity, and Toppling Goliath.

Have Ayinger, Rothaus, Hacker-Pschorr, Weihenstephaner, Foundation Gretel, Schilling Konstantin, Lefthand, and Hofbrau still in the fridge.

33. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Defender (671) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Always thought Narragansett Fest Marzen was a good under-the-radar one. Anyone seen it yet?

Rug and Manfrombelmonty like this.
  34. AlcahueteJ

Society

Total Wine has it apparently.

35. pbrian

pbrian Crusader (752) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

Great price point too, under $10 for a six rack of kingers. Sadly I haven’t seen it around here in years.

36. Spade

Spade Defender (665) Mar 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

Tonight's haul-

[​IMG]

Yards Unter Dog, Workhorse Oktoberfest, and, for autumn, Saucony Creek Maple Mistress.

The Workhorse is new for me; their 4-packs are usually over-priced for my budget, but I'm in a damn-it-all mood this week.

37. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,816) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

It’s already in stores in my area (but I didn’t check the cans for dates),

38. rhino88888888

Trader

Notch Festbier (5.8%) sighted on tap at Elm Street Taproom! Also pouring - Tucher Festbier, 3 Floyds Munsterfest and Goose Island Oktoberfest

Rug, AlcahueteJ, mvogt and 1 other person like this.
  39. rhino88888888

Trader

Sorry, false alarm. Notch Festbier is on the menu but it hasn’t been tapped yet.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  40. Sheppard

Sheppard Poo-Bah (2,301) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Picked up a four pack and had a Copper Legend last night. Used to love this beer. Need to make some chili or something to use the rest.

mrmattosgood and AlcahueteJ like this.