Northern WI hard to find elsewhere beer thread

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by cl3, Apr 13, 2016.

?

Is this thread useful? If it isn't, I won't bother updating it.

Poll closed Dec 13, 2016.
  1. Yes, Thanks for doing this!

98.5%
  2. No, who the hell drinks great beer and vacations way up there?

1.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BCB1908

BCB1908 Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2012 Illinois

Nice. Couldn't find Upper Hand beers last summer at all. I did get some of the Blackrocks beers. Good stuff.

Oh yea. So good!

2. cl3

cl3 Disciple (328) Aug 16, 2013 Wisconsin

Upper Hand just started distributing to Northern WI within the last 5 months or so. I was in the U.P. last weekend and scored Some Double Ringer DIPA (Single hopped w/ Equinox) & Old Fighter (American Barleywine) and drank UPA on tap all night at a wedding reception. Their little brewery in Escanaba is cranking out some great beer!

3. Wiscobrew

Wiscobrew Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2011 Nevada

Just wanted to give this one a nudge...

Anyone interested in having a beer between 7/2-7/17 let me know. Going to be south of Eagle River but pretty comfortable heading anywhere between Minocqua and Three Lakes.

Can bring some west cost beers for a share if that's your thing as well.

cl3 likes this.
  4. scream

scream Meyvn (1,336) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

Anybody have any ideas on the Park Falls area ? Heading there Sat. for a wk w a stop at Central Waters on the way.

Thanks

cl3 likes this.
  5. cl3

The only thing I can tell you is stock up before you get there. Craft beer desert. The only place with a decent selection, even remotely close, is in Woodruff (Trig's Cellar - 43 Miles, nothing you won't find elsewhere in WI, aside from Tribute Brewing). I travel through that neck of woods (HWY 70, Spooner to Florence) often, when I go to visit my family in the U.P.

6. scream

Thanks !

cl3 likes this.
  7. spartan3186

spartan3186 Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2016 Maryland

I stopped at Village Deli and Wine Shop in Rice Lake on Monday and they have an awesome selection. Found a 4 pack of CW BBBW sitting on the shelf. Also had DFH 120 and Higher Math (both probably a bit old) lots of other pretty good selections as well.

Prices where a bit high, but much better selection than anywhere else I've been in the Northwoods.

cl3 likes this.
  8. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (138) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

I'm in the UP now and coming back home to Milwaukee on Monday. Does anyone know where I may happen across some Blackrocks Gnomas barleywine? I scoured Marquette the other day to no avail. Seems like I missed it, but any tips would be greatly appreciated. Heading back through Iron Mountain and will probably make one last check at the Econo Foods there on my way and the Trig's in Eagle River tomorrow. If anyone is interested in some Upper Hand Old Fighter, I may be able to snag one more 6er of that and would be down for an IP trade for Gnomas in Milwaukee on the off-chance anyone there has any but missed out on Old Fighter. Gotta say, the drinkin' up here in the Yoop gets better and better every year!

cl3 likes this.
  9. cl3

Instead of going through Iron Mountain, head back to Milwaukee through Escanaba instead.Take a look at both Sav-Mor & Elmer's in Escanaba. I found it at Sav-Mor back in Feb. You probably missed the boat on Gnomas at this point, but there isn't a ton of craft beer turnover in Esky, as compared to Marquette, so you might have a shot.

@whatsleftofyou ,our resident man in the street in Esky, might be able to tell you if he's seen it recently.

Number1Framer likes this.
  10. cl3

I hit up Woodman's in Eau Claire today and was pleasantly surprised with the selection. I would definitely recommend it over The Coffee Grounds for any discerning beer drinker passing through the area this summer.

11. wisconsinbeer1

wisconsinbeer1 Initiate (194) Nov 11, 2004 Wisconsin

Couldn't agree more, sadly. Almost not even worth stopping at coffee grounds anymore. Sucks too, because i used to really like making the monthly or so hour trek there. The old shop was really cool. @darklordlager, you still here?

cl3 likes this.
  12. whatsleftofyou

whatsleftofyou Initiate (0) Mar 12, 2006 Michigan

I can't speak for Iron Mountain, but Gnomas is long gone in Escanaba. I'd bet that it's gone there, too. There's still plenty of Old Fighter everywhere, plus they have it on tap at the brewery (only open on the weekend). On a side note, I think Sav-Mor still has a bit of KBS and a bunch of Short's Peachy Pom Pom if you're headed through here.

Number1Framer and cl3 like this.
  13. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (138) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

I'd love to pick up both of what you mentioned, but unfortunately Escanaba is out of the equation. I usually linger as long as I can before leaving, so then it's straight home (leaving from tiny town in Ontonagon area, so Escanaba is out of the way). Iron Mountain or bust! Probably also try a couple small rando shops I spied on the way up along 141 including one in Niagra and the Piggly Wiggly in Crivitz. Can't complain though - happy with all the brews I found up here this year. Thanks for the tips guys!

14. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2012 Canada (ON)

Passing through on Friday and was hoping to pop in at Coffee Grounds again as I did last summer. Bummed to hear its not as good. Will I still be able to get some basic and fruited NG beers?
    If not, any other recommendations for quick stops off I-94? Not looking to go more than a mile or so off the highway.

15. CityFarmer

CityFarmer Initiate (152) Mar 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Is toppling goliath being found anywhere near the Minocqua area? Could go for some Pseudo cans....guessing it's not distributed up there but don't know for sure....

16. cl3

I don't think so. I haven't seen it in my travels along Highway 70. It is mostly distributed on the west side of the State, up north. I've seen it in Hudson, Eau Claire, Cumberland, and Superior.

17. cl3

Just hit Woodman's instead. It's only an extra 10 minutes of drive time, but it'll be well worth it.

18. OBD

OBD Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2014 Wisconsin

Was hugely disappointed to stop in to the Northern Lakes Cabin Stop in Hayward last weekend, only to find that what used to be an amazing selection had been reduced to almost nothing in a makeover of the space by "Gordy's Market."

:slight_frown:

cl3 likes this.
  19. cl3

Yeah, that is a shame. They had a great selection for the last couple of years. It's just like Gordy, to come in and Gordy's up the place. The only silver lining was the amazing get-rid-of-all-of-our-good-beer-to-make-shelf-space-for-mediocre-beer-sale that they had when the place was sold to Gordy's.

20. djhowell

djhowell Disciple (332) Apr 1, 2009 Wisconsin

Ugh, now I need a new place to stop on the way up to my girlfriend's parent's place a couple times a year.

21. cl3

Where are you coming from/going to? I could probably give you some rec's, as I live up here in the Northwoods.

22. Wiscobrew

You can get TG beers at Bottle Stop in Stevens Point. It is just off the highway on your way up to Minocqua. They have a beermenus page that is updated pretty regularly. No Pseudo on the menu now, but they have Golden Nugget and a couple others.

NotHereForGold and cl3 like this.
  23. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,824) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Wisconsin is Illinois' biggest state park... isn't it? :wink:

jRocco2021, CMLinder and GrumpyGas like this.
  24. djhowell

djhowell Disciple (332) Apr 1, 2009 Wisconsin

Madison to the Ashland area. We tend to up through Eau Claire and then stop in Hayward. Marketplace Foods has an okay selection but the Cabin Stop was awesome; I commonly found stuff there that had been gone from Madison for weeks.

On our way back we usually take 13 and go through Wausau which has a good pit stop in Red Eye (as long as it's not Sunday).

25. cl3

Give the Village Dell, in Rice Lake, a try on your way up 53. Island Wines in Cumberland is pretty awesome too, but it probably adds 25 minutes to your drive time.

djhowell likes this.
  26. CityFarmer

Trader

Yeah I figured I was SOL - thanks for responding

27. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2012 Canada (ON)

I will already have been on the road 10-11 hrs. Seriously not looking for a detour that long.
    I just need NG fruits and some spotted cow. I'm easy to please.

Also considering Casanovas in Hudson. I need quick in and outs.
    Kiddies in the car, hotel beers needed.

28. cl3

If that is all you are looking for, you don't need to even stop at a specialty shop. Just about every grocery store and gas station in WI carries NG fruits and Spotted Cow.

FEUO and CMLinder like this.
  29. CityFarmer

Trader

Awesome, thanks for the info!

30. CMLinder

CMLinder Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2015 Wisconsin

If you're looking for canned PsuedoSue, and coming up from IL, you could most likely find it at the Sun Prairie Woodman's, which is a short detour off of 90/94 on 151. Unlikely that you would find any of the recent bottled variants though, those hit distro here a few weeks ago, and were quickly gobbled up.

CityFarmer likes this.
  31. Hezy

Hezy Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2014 Michigan

Any sightings of central waters cassian sunset in the north woods ?

32. ZAP

ZAP Poo-Bah (4,431) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota
    Society

I'll second the Red Eye recommendation. By far the best in the immediate region last time I was there..

33. Wiscobrew

Just liberated two 4 packs of Cassian Sunset from the Trigs in Rhinelander. There still may be others floating out there.

34. scream

Spoken like a true FISH !

35. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,824) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Who's been spending his hard-earned money to support the Wisconsin economy for 50 years -- you're welcome. :wink:

(seriously, I've lived just south of the cheddar curtain most of my life and many of my best friends are cheeseheads. :grinning:)

36. ZombieHead

ZombieHead Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2014 Illinois

Traveling from Marquette to Chicago today, anybody have any recomendations on bottle shops that may have TG available along that drive? Any feedback would be much appreciated, Cheers!!

37. scream

Woodman's Green Bay or Kenosha. The Kenosha one is right off I-94-can be seen from the road.

ZombieHead likes this.
  38. CityFarmer

Trader

Interesting beer sightings in the Northwoods this past week: CW Cherry Stout and barleywine. Also, Surly Abrasive and Todd over 6 month old. Some Hopslam as well....

39. cl3

Where at? I've been jeeping an eye out for CW Cherry, but no luck. If anyone is looking for more CW Brewers Reserve Barleywine, Keyport Liquor, in Superior, has cases upon cases of it out on the floor.

40. CityFarmer

Trader

Boulder Junction

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.