Northwest: What beer are you drinking now? (February 2019)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by beertunes, Feb 1, 2019.

1. vurt

vurt Savant (979) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Premium

So, that 5-year-old bottle of Upright Saison du Blodget I pulled out of storage last Friday?

It's delicious, more funky than sour, and still surprisingly bitter.

2. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,705) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

#FlagshipFebruary, a Black Butte at the Grand, on my stroll home.

woemad, kemoarps, vurt and 7 others like this.
  3. John_M

John_M Moderator (6,273) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Premium Trader

Drinking a 3 magnets little juice smoothie. Decent hazy, but I feel like previous batches have been better. Would not get a second glass here at nw growlers.

woemad, kemoarps, vurt and 1 other person like this.
  4. rrock44

rrock44 Disciple (325) Oct 27, 2009 Washington

Went out into the snow. Had to settle for yoke’s down the street. No way I was getting to MCWS. Anyway decided to give this a shot. Solid beer - good tropical aroma and taste. Says to pair with Gorgonzola, buffalo wings, or upside down pineapple cake. Going with flaming hot Doritos and college basketball. Close enough. :stuck_out_tongue:

[​IMG]

5. I_h8_clowns

I_h8_clowns Initiate (44) May 31, 2018 Oregon

Irish stout on nitro at McMenamins (Bend). not awful. fireplace and wifi also not awful.

don't judge me. I wanted to go up to Porter Brewing in Redmond, and try their new ESB. but don't wanna deal with snow and bad drivers.

woemad, kemoarps, sharpski and 2 others like this.
  6. Superheatnsubcool

Superheatnsubcool Disciple (303) May 31, 2016 Washington

After the dust settled this afternoon, we ended up with about 10 inches of snow in my part of Seattle. Since I’m done shoveling and won’t be going very far anytime soon, how about cozying up at home with a pint can of Triple Milkshake IPA? Eh...sure, why not.

Matchless Citrus Drop Triple Milkshake IPA. 13% abv. Additives include vanilla beans, blood orange, sugar, lactose, apricot purée, grapefruit purée, and tangerine purée. Oh boy.

Pours an opaque orangish-yellow with little head or lacing. Aroma of sweet citrus and tropical fruit. Flavor is very fruit-forward, with the apricot and vanilla prominent, and a hint of hop bitterness. The abv is pretty well hidden, except for a slightly warming finish. Overall, it’s certainly an interesting experiment, and gave me a nice buzz.

woemad, kemoarps, beertunes and 2 others like this.
  7. vurt

Premium

Hey, I won't give you the stank-eye for going to a McMenamin's. They fill a very useful niche. And when you find a really good beer there, it's like seeing Bigfoot: You get all excited for a sec, and then you realize no one will believe you.

Me, I'm having an Ex Novo Eliot IPA. #FlagshipFebruary

woemad, kemoarps, Reidrover and 4 others like this.
  8. vurt

Premium

It's cold out there. So I'm enjoying a winter warmer: Ex Novo Liquid Sweater.

woemad, kemoarps, Reidrover and 2 others like this.
  9. vurt

Premium

Last round: An Ex Novo Perle Haggard Pilsner. Worth it for the name alone, and a pretty good pils in it's own right.

10. itracy63

itracy63 Disciple (395) Apr 20, 2013 Washington

I liked this one as well, a little hot I thought, but somewhat expected at 13%. Their P.O.G. remains the best TIPA they’ve done, IMO.

11. John_M

Premium Trader

Drinking an excellent glass of holy mountain lesser ritual pils.

This beer was first introduced to me by Larry (@NWer) a year or two back, and it was love at first sip. When I saw it on the Arch Bridge tap list, I made a beeline over.

woemad, kemoarps, NWer and 2 others like this.
  12. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,113) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Premium Trader

Enjoyed a pint of Sunriver Rippin at the Galveston pub after a busy weekend. 10,000 bottles and cans passed around (and through) me in 3 days, with the help of ~100 trained palates and dozens of friends and volunteers. Bummed that I have to go back to my day job, but planning for next year can begin tomorrow.

woemad, kemoarps, jpbebeau and 4 others like this.
  13. vurt

Premium

This afternoon I am making slow work of a 500 mL bottle of Ex Novo's Kill the Sun BA Imperial Stout (specifically, the coffee & vanilla variant).

It's a charmer. Roasty malts and coffee are front and center, followed by good barrel character and the darkest chocolate flavors. As for the vanilla, it's easier to find it on the label than in the beer. (This hasn't impeded my enjoyment, but it could well be a turnoff for vanilla aficionados. Your Mileage May Vary.)

14. VashonGuy

VashonGuy Meyvn (1,226) Mar 7, 2013 Washington
    Premium Trader

Tonight I had a Sky Kraken, my first. I'm not usually fond of NE style IPAs, but this one is the exception. It's full of flavor, mostly fruity, but it's not at all sweet, and really tasty. Give it a try.

I was surprised to see that there are very few reviews of it on BA so far. Just 3, plus my own.

Yesterday I had the 2019 Dark Heron, and loved that. Fremont says they change up the recipe on this beer each year. I had it two or three years ago, and can't remember enough to compare. Does anyone know whether these beers vary much from one year to the next? This one is terrific.

15. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (4,061) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Trader

Went a little hard on the lambics yesterday, so I'm resting my head/liver tonight.

woemad, kemoarps and vurt like this.
  16. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (2,957) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon

now 54 40 Half Cocked IPA.
    Earlier The Bruery 5 Golden Rings.( at a tasting).and missing it already!

17. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Devotee (459) Jul 17, 2005 Washington
    Premium

Agreed on Sky Kraken. My friend brought a crowler to a game night we had, and it was excellent. Last Friday morning I snagged the last sixer at the store-that-shall-not-be-named, and it was just as juicy, fruity, flavorful and bitter without being too sweet. Fremont really nailed this one, and I'm glad it's in the year-round rotation. Hopefully it will start showing itself at supermarkets soon, too. It's only 5.5%, so I can see this being a staple during many a Sounders game this upcoming season as well.

18. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (83) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

Gonna take a week off beer following @sharpski's event. What an experience. I think I tasted more beers in a few days than I have in most of my adult life.

19. derftron

derftron Disciple (322) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

For anybody that enjoys good old fashioned kick you in the face IPAs, it appears that Apex is starting to bring out the triple IPAs in advance of PtY. Had the pFriem IIIPA and it was delicious.

woemad, vurt, kemoarps and 1 other person like this.
  20. kemoarps

kemoarps Meyvn (1,328) Apr 30, 2008 Washington
    Trader

Swung by Reuben's this afternoon while wandering in the white and tipped back a Bits & Bobs while working on my book and watching the flakes fall. Contemplating a movie night with either Spice Wars or Coconut BBOMB

21. Raj

Raj Aspirant (274) Jun 25, 2014 Washington
    Trader

I’m drinking a Floodland saison. It tastes like fresh flowers, pears, and the opposite of today.

22. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Devotee (459) Jul 17, 2005 Washington
    Premium

All this snow is really catalyzing my drinking.

Crux Pils to G'Town Bodhi to Reuben's Blimey Triple IPA. It was damn good, and refreshing in its non-haziness. 10.5%? My palate disagrees, but how I fight my alarm tomorrow morning will probably be more telltale.

WHOTF CARES! School is canceled again tomorrow, so daddy duty it is, even if hungover so.

Now on to a six-year old bottle of Dogfish Bitches Brew. I cannot taste any Miles Davis, but it tastes great nonetheless, and my wife wanted me to clear out space in the cellar fridge, so I'm resolutely steadfast in my duties.

23. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,352) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Trader

I'm sipping on a Deschutes Planete Rouge, that I had no idea it even existed until I saw it on a local's shelf!

24. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,023) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

I haven't had it yet but this year's Dark Heron looks much hazier from pictures I've seen on Untappd. It's got Strata in it this year which was definitely not in the last couple years.

25. derftron

derftron Disciple (322) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

Gigantic the Time Warp dank IPA

Gotta admit, I’m pretty exhausted with Hazy IPAs and all the milkshake adjuncts. Going back to more “traditional” ipa styles, classic German beers, belgians, etc.

This one hits the spot big time. Huge hops, nice malt backbone, not too heavy or bitter at 6.3%. Once again, another winnner from Gigantic

26. vurt

Premium

Ex Novo Sipalicious is one of those rare session IPAs that I would actually order again.

woemad, Reidrover and kemoarps like this.
  27. itracy63

itracy63 Disciple (395) Apr 20, 2013 Washington

Just had a Powderland from Wander, it wasn’t exactly clear, but I hesitate to call it a hazy. Really nice beer, either way.

Superheatnsubcool, kemoarps and vurt like this.
  28. vurt

Premium

Ex Novo Kung Fu Yuzu Lager is not my thang. But now I know.

29. Texwild

Texwild Initiate (76) May 1, 2008 Washington
    Industry

This year’s Dark Heron IPA is, indeed, a hazy IPA (surprise!) brewed with Strata and Mosaic hops. We love this one and the amazing art by Julia Reck http://juliaereck.com/ which features an awesome, body positive Dark Heron.

30. kemoarps

kemoarps Meyvn (1,328) Apr 30, 2008 Washington
    Trader

Brought a bottle of Coconut BBOMB out for movie night last night. Hot damn that liquid is delicious.

deadwolfbones, woemad, NWer and 3 others like this.
  31. vurt

Premium

Bodhizafa IPA goes great with Mrs. vurt and Valentines Day.

(The rhyme is unplanned, but I'll keep it.)

chinochino, kemoarps, woemad and 3 others like this.
  32. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (2,871) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Trader

That pFriem IIIPA is no joke. That disappeared from around here way too soon.

kemoarps and vurt like this.
  33. woemad

Trader

Having a couple Vaporizers from the cask engine at The Elk with a falafel sandwich and potato salad. I may go across the street to Pac Ave and have another couple beers to steel myself for digging my car out of what's by now about a foot and a half of snow, and digging out a runway for it to get out of my parking lot.

kemoarps, vurt and sharpski like this.
  34. John_M

Premium Trader

Waiting for my brother to get into town on his delayed United flight. A glass of pfriem Belgian select (Belgian ipa style?) is making the wait a lot easier.

NWer, woemad, deadwolfbones and 2 others like this.
  35. vurt

Premium

I just opened a bottle of Block 15 Breakfast With Roses, which is this year's Super Nebula with maple, cocoa nibs, and coffee.

I think it's better than Breakfast With Woodford. More maple goodness, and all the flavors fit together better.

NWer and woemad like this.
  36. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (83) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

Not a NW beer, but drinking a 2019 Bigfoot and man this beer never disappoints.

woemad, kemoarps, 66jzmstr and 2 others like this.
  37. DefenCorps

Trader

Not a PNW beer, but drinking Against the Grain's Lichtenhainer, a smoked sour wheat beer. This is quite delicious, and @vurt , I think you'll like it.

woemad and vurt like this.
  38. DefenCorps

Trader

I will need to track some of this years' batch down before it disappears around here.

On a separate note, did you happen to take your profile picture of Steven Wilson? Was that the HCE tour or the To the Bone tour?

vurt and woemad like this.
  39. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (2,957) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon

Buoy Southern Cross IPA...at Tsunami Taproom in Salem.
    Best I have had from them....

woemad and kemoarps like this.
  40. woemad

Trader

I didn't take that picture, but someone from the same show in Spokane last November did. It was part of the To The Bone tour and it was a great show!

DefenCorps likes this.