1. Introducing the Respect Beer® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Northwest: What beer are you drinking now? (March 2019)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by beertunes, Mar 1, 2019.

1. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Aspirant (263) Sep 11, 2011 Washington

With all the talk about hazy- and pastry-burnout, I have to chime in and report that I put back three 3.7% ABV Machine House Dark Milds yesterday afternoon and still managed to be a productive employee and father afterward. Last month I worked my way through nearly everything Machine House had to offer and enjoyed them all.

I've been loving Pilsners for a long time, but don't overlook a good cask ale when you're thinking about having just a beer...

kemoarps, ewendel, Joshbiir and 12 others like this.
  2. vurt

vurt Savant (987) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Which reminds me: I still haven't tried the dark mild on tap at Ex Novo in Beaverton. I should maybe make an opportunity to have a pint this weekend. Perhaps even at lunch tomorrow.

3. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,026) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

pFriem pils in cans is truly a gift from the gods.

4. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (2,891) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Trader

There was supposed to be a pFriem event at Community Pint involving their new cans. Unfortunately, that was cancelled for as yet unknown reasons. So I guess I'll have to settle for the pFriem beers that were put on-tap for the scrubbed event.
    [​IMG]
    Now drinking their Triple IPA. I may move on to their rum barrel aged porter next.

kemoarps, beertunes, 66jzmstr and 3 others like this.
  5. woemad

Trader

Continued down the Triple IPA trail with Aslan 's Megathrust -
    [​IMG]
    and am now going home after a Black Butte XXV:
    [​IMG]

6. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (4,133) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Trader

Damn, that's a good trio to start and finish up a night.

Starting things off with a Migration Straight Outta Portland IPA. Delicious, though it's just a little watery.

kemoarps and beertunes like this.
  7. vurt

Society

It's quite good. Grab it if you get the chance.

I started out with a can of Sixpoint Meltdown IIPA. It was okay. Tons of hop debris. Not a NW beer, but I got it from a Portland Timbers player during the playoffs last year, so maybe it squeaks by on a technicality for this forum.

The next beer was a nice fresh Topcutter. Yes please.

8. woemad

Trader

Turns out Steady Flow was on the way home, so a bite to eat was had, along with a Rudi's Lay Tuck-Tuck:
    [​IMG]
    A solid, hazy IIIPA, though the name has me muttering "wtf."

kemoarps, rrock44, sharpski and 2 others like this.
  9. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,116) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

It’s ski jumping lingo, and a reference from Hot Dog The Movie.

vurt, woemad and 66jzmstr like this.
  10. vurt

Society

Turns out that Ex Novo's dark mild, Where the Mild Things Are, is pretty good. A bit thin on flavor, but still roasty and nutty. Make sure to let it warm up a little bit.

Would Drink Again.

11. DefenCorps

Trader

Heading over to a friend's house with a growler of the Dunkelweizen from Occidental. I'll be sure to report back!

kemoarps, vurt and woemad like this.
  12. vurt

Society

I just had a pint of Fremont Sky Kraken, which happens to be the beer of the month at this establishment. A tasty $4 pint which I would certainly order again.

But Bodhizafa is on the menu, and that will be my next pint. Oh yes.

kemoarps, 66jzmstr, rrock44 and 2 others like this.
  13. woemad

Trader

Never got into skiing so many such references would be lost on me. And somehow I missed Hot Dog.

vurt likes this.
  14. DefenCorps

Trader

As luck would have it,my friend was unwell, so I left him the unopened growler to motivate him to get better soon while drinking a Pacific Wonderland. That beer is pretty darned good!

kemoarps and vurt like this.
  15. itracy63

itracy63 Disciple (396) Apr 20, 2013 Washington

Me as well, Matchless is selling cases of their Old World Lager for $24. Needless to say, I grabbed one.

16. John_M

John_M Moderator (6,290) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Society Trader

Enjoying an Image of Objects ipa from Skookum at the Parkway. Just delightful.

17. John_M

Society Trader

Now drinking a glass of Reuben's triple crush. Just an amazing beer from Reuben's.

jpbebeau, vurt and 66jzmstr like this.
  18. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Devotee (460) Jul 17, 2005 Washington
    Society

I had my second-to-last tallboy of that while watching the Sounders last night. An amazing beer, indeed!

vurt likes this.
  19. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (3,055) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon

Had a couple pints of Ex-Novos Cadillac Dreams IPA..very nice end to the night

20. vurt

Society

Enjoying a Gigantic Time Warp IPA with the Timbers Army in the barrel room at Gigantic.

Reidrover likes this.
  21. John_M

Society Trader

After last weeks game, I have mixed feelings about watching tonight's game... But here I sit, wirh a glass of heater allen pils in hand... Turned to the game, hoping for the best.

22. vurt

Society

As you should. And a fine beer choice.

Surprising number of empty seats at LAFC Stadium. Maybe the weather isn't good enough in LA for all their fairweather fans.

kemoarps likes this.
  23. vurt

Society

I followed up the Time Warp IPA with a Sassy Pony Pale for the second half.

Clearly that was a wrong choice.

#RCTID

Reidrover likes this.
  24. John_M

Society Trader

I'm not sure there was a"right" beer for what I saw on the tele this evening.

Sigh... It's a long season, and the timbers start last year was nothing to write home about. Hopefully, they'll right themselves when they come back home. Tonight, they were truly dreadful.

25. vurt

Society

The first half wasn't that bad. But all the defensive failings I tried to blame on the snow last weekend were still there for all to see. Ugh.

On the plus side: Sassy Pony is a good beer.

Also on the plus side: Arsenal beat ManUre today and kept a clean sheet in the process. Always a happy result.

26. John_M

Society Trader

If I'm going to watch MSL soccer, then I make it a point not to watch the English Premier League or German Bundesliga Football. I'm just not enough of a soccer purist to be able to enjoy both.

In the past, I've been able to watch and enjoy minor league baseball, as I just enjoy watching baseball, regardless of the quality of the play. On the other hand, if I start watching European soccer, I find that I'm horrified by the poor play I see at the MSL level. After the last World Cup match in Russia, it took me a month to recover before I could start watching the MSL again.

That being said, while the play of the Timbers (especially on defense) was terrible last night, the Heater Allen pils was so good, I hardly noticed or minded. :sunglasses:

vurt likes this.
  27. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,746) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

On a Zombie Day today (post 18 hour workday yesterday, but at least Spamalot was a fun show to work), knocked back a few from recent BIF boxes, a couple at Gruff, and am having a bowl of gumbo and Boss Is Away IPA at Boundary Bay.

kemoarps, vurt, rrock44 and 2 others like this.
  28. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Devotee (460) Jul 17, 2005 Washington
    Society

Long day.

With a late dinner, I enjoyed a Fremont Paradise Peak pilsner and a Block 15 Emerging Sunshine IPA, both canned within the last two weeks.

Paradise Peak tastes similar to last winter's seasonal pilsner from Fremont, but a bit more refined and better. (Call me out if it's actually the same recipe, but I thought it tasted a bit truer to style this go 'round.)

My pour of Emerging Sunshine was full of citrus and floral aroma. Awesome. It tasted just as good. I only hit one can, but so far I'd rank it below Fresh Flow but above Fresh Pow. I really dig Block 15's seasonal IPA releases thus far.

kemoarps, vurt, rrock44 and 2 others like this.
  29. vurt

Society

Mrs. vurt and I are flying to New Mexico, so we're having a bite of lunch and excellent pints of Workhorse IPA at Laurelwood in Concourse A. Proper NW IPA, that.

30. VashonGuy

VashonGuy Meyvn (1,279) Mar 7, 2013 Washington
    Society Trader

Green chile, green chile!!

Oops, off-topic.

kemoarps, beertunes and vurt like this.
  31. vurt

Society

Green chile, posole, sopapillas, and good local iPAs!

32. VashonGuy

VashonGuy Meyvn (1,279) Mar 7, 2013 Washington
    Society Trader

I can't remember if I posted anything after my last ABQ trip. The highlight was Bow & Arrow Brewing. Really an interesting array of beers. Take a look at their Place ratings, and look for the review by @StonedTrippin. I didn't have time to write a review while I was down there, but I'm 100% behind his assessment. Enjoy the land of sunshine!

kemoarps, StonedTrippin and vurt like this.
  33. vurt

Society

I've somehow managed to miss Bow & Arrow three trips in a row. But that streak comes to an end tomorrow or Friday. Looking forward to it!

34. weaverr

weaverr Initiate (150) Jun 10, 2008 Oregon

Guinness. Now, not Sunday. TC O’Leary’s on Alberta pours a proper one.

vurt likes this.
  35. DefenCorps

Trader

Is this all New Seasons, or just your local?

36. John_M

Society Trader

I would assume it's just his local. The NS taplist selection varies from store to store, and I think there are still a number of NS stores that don't even have a growler station.

37. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,746) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

Shared a couple out of NW brews with Hobo Chris. Then on to a growler of Payette 12 Gauge Stout. Pretty nice brew. Now onto a F41. It seems to taste different than before the rebrand and the ABV is up to 5.2, from the previous 4.5. I don't think I approve .

38. crusian

crusian Crusader (772) May 14, 2010 Oregon

I think the woodstock one is the only one with a bar... it's nice having that there...

39. John_M

Society Trader

The one out where I live (on sw boones ferry rd), has a growler station I believe, but I dont believe there's an actual bar area. And yeah, that does sound nice.

40. crusian

crusian Crusader (772) May 14, 2010 Oregon

Happy hour $4 pints, and no tipping...
    Also nice to grab any bottle/ can and open at the bar without corkage...