Not Just The Boys' Beer Club

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by CASK1, Mar 14, 2018.

1. CASK1

CASK1 Disciple (341) Jan 7, 2010 Florida

2. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (827) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

While I certainly support and applaud women in the brewing industry, stuff like this needs to go away:

Kristen Sykes walked around sporting bright pink rubber boots, beer mug earrings and a black T-shirt that read, "Mash the Patriarchy." She heads up the Boston Area Beer Enthusiasts Society.

Equality and diversity are also issues for home brewer Lisa Small. "Still very white, malecentric," Small says of the craft beer world. "I mean, you go to any brewery and usually the head brewer is a man, who's usually white."

The sentiment that brewing beer is geared towards white men and that the industry is prejudicial towards anyone who isn't is toxic.

I support anyone who makes good beer. White, black, brown, yellow, red, male, female, hetero, LGBGQ, etc. None of that matters. Just make great beer. There are women that are true pioneers in craft beer. To think otherwise is ridiculous. There are simply less women doing it. That doesn't take away from their skill or their contributions. There are more white males brewing craft beer because there are more white males drinking craft beer. Same reason there are more Indians eating curry or more Canadians playing hockey.

Mvsmvs92 likes this.
  3. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,377) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

It's good that you support all. But that doesn't mean everyone does or that all are treated equally in the workplace. One of the problems with stereotypes is that people get put into categories on the basis of potentially irrelevant criteria whether the stereotype fits the individual or not.

Sometimes to get people to notice your competence it is necessary to first get their attention.

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  4. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (827) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

While I certainly understand what you're saying here, I thing craft beer, in general, is very accepting of people who aren't white heterosexual males. Sure, there might be some people who aren't, but I believe them to be the exception to the rule.

Brewing is a physical job, in a lot of circumstances, that is why there is a slant towards males. How many females do you see working construction? That's not sexism, it's simply an idiosyncrasy of the job at hand. That doesn't explain the demographics of craft beer drinkers, but we're not talking about that.

Absolutely, but this goes for anyone. Truthfully, I think it's harder for white males to stand out in the brewing industry because there are so many of them. If you're a woman or a minority, that is attention-getting in and of itself.