Notch Brewing (2021)

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by Sheppard, Jan 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jcorn

Jcorn Disciple (394) Jun 17, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Will there be cans to go at the Brighton spot?

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  2. Witherby

Witherby Devotee (403) Jan 5, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

Looks like a 10 minute ride on the 86 bus from my office or a 10 minute bike ride. May have to finally look into the blue bikes since there is a rack right outside my building. Will have to visit before we start back in the office in August, though.

eaglephile likes this.
  3. MattOC

MattOC Crusader (701) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Jcorn, 7irondave and Sheppard like this.
  4. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,997) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Thank you so much for hosting us all the last two nights. Doing that was more than gracious, never mind having beers on the house. I tipped at the bar when I got there and when I left too (rare occasion I had cash on me).

That brew schedule is insane. Two of my absolute favorites from you guys in Tenner and Tmavý and then not one but TWO English session ales…my God. Any chance those will be on cask too?

As much as I love those beers above, I had to make my first beer the Session Pils last night. It’s rare you have it on tap (at least in my experience) so it’s great to have it pulled from a Lukr tap.

Na zdraví!

5. AlcahueteJ

Society

EnronCFO likes this.
  6. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Defender (602) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

Showed my girlfriend “so, are you talking to that other beer guy you met?”

Yep!

AlcahueteJ and mrmattosgood like this.
  7. wehaveamap

wehaveamap Aspirant (222) Jan 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

LFGGGGGGGGG

8. AlcahueteJ

Society

Ha yeah I’m pretty sure I was there at that point.

Oh, and I’m THE other beer guy. :grin:

9. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (504) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Wow, that space looks fantastic! And yes please on the return of their dark mild (Vincent, if I recall?).

Interesting that they're planning to stay open until midnight Thursday through Saturday. Are there any other breweries open that late? My younger self would be very excited about that.

10. cmoney13

cmoney13 Initiate (153) Sep 9, 2017 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

been busy so didn't bother trying to get a soft opening spot, but looks fantastic. Will definitely be stopping in at some point. I'd only been to Salem 2 or 3 times prior to this. It's beautiful up there I just don't find myself on the north shore often at all. This is much more convenient.

Think this is very in keeping with what Notch is about. Definitely cool.

11. Jcorn

Jcorn Disciple (394) Jun 17, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

MattOC likes this.
  12. AlcahueteJ

Society

It appears I did make the photos!

I was scrolling through the Facebook and IG photos from that night. Got a stand alone shot (for the most part).

EnronCFO, Sheppard and Stormfield like this.
  13. EnronCFO

Ungespundet on gravity cask at the moment for anyone in the area. I’m the super cool drinking by himself in a black t shirt if anyone is here. The sun also just came out.

eaglephile, tigg924, meefmoff and 5 others like this.
  14. dental

dental Devotee (430) Apr 2, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

i've only had left of the dial and session pils because that's all they sell down here on the south shore, typically. is any of the good notch stuff ever on tap at bars in the city or are they basically brewery-only? i don't like taking up space at breweries as a party of 1 so i don't visit them.

15. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Aspirant (289) Nov 6, 2010 Canada (BC)
    Trader

It is my experience that no one is ever really a party of one at Notch. Like minded beer drinkers abound. Come up north! We are friendly*.

*eh

AlcahueteJ and dental like this.
  16. MattOC

Trader

Not sure how much of the Salem brewery brewed beers make it out into the wild for draft. I’d imagine certainly not in the city (if you mean Boston), but maybe spots in the Salem area get them. Otherwise, I think the source is your best bet.

Don’t let that deter you. I’ve been to Notch Salem plenty of times solo. Best way to relax with a couple of half liters and a book. With Brighton much closer, I’m hoping to do it more often.

17. dental

Trader

brighton is definitely more of a reasonable destination for me. been wanting to try their good stuff after AlcahueteJ said he prefers it over the freshest cans and bottles of pilsner urquell he's had. urquell is really all i drink these days with some praga and paulaner pils sprinkled in. oh, and schilling when i see it at a store.

18. AlcahueteJ

Society

Well you certainly have good taste in beer.

You’ll really enjoy Notch’s pale lagers fresh on tap.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Notch’s single series beers out in the wild. Even around Salem.

As others have said, no worries going solo. I’ve went to have Pitch Lined Pils and the Ungespundet on gravity cask alone, no regrets at all.

19. dental

Trader

thanks for the responses guys, i think i'm gonna do a notch solo mission in the very near future!

20. Ryanwithacomb

Ryanwithacomb Initiate (34) Jan 22, 2018 Massachusetts

We could also do a BA meet up like the Other Half thread does!

7irondave, AlcahueteJ and Sheppard like this.
  21. tigg924

tigg924 Poo-Bah (7,262) Apr 30, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society

In Brighton now and I have to say I love the space. Everyone's comments convinced me I needed to come up. Open, airy, reminds me of the German biergardens I have been to. The grodziskie is exceptional.

22. MattOC

Trader

Busy this afternoon?

23. tigg924

tigg924 Poo-Bah (7,262) Apr 30, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society

Most tables have people at them. It seems full but not crazy. I was able to get beer from the bar within five minutes.

AlcahueteJ, Sheppard and MattOC like this.
  24. eaglephile

eaglephile Initiate (164) Jan 12, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Yeah I’ll be going on Wednesday, possibly with friends but by myself if need be. Would kill to have the mild or bitter on, but if I have to go again every week I will.

25. Ryanwithacomb

Ryanwithacomb Initiate (34) Jan 22, 2018 Massachusetts

Made my first bike over today. Unfortunately there weren't any cans to-go, but I must have convinced myself that there was supposed to be. Fire walk with me is an incredible beer. I think something that's underrated about this location is the 0 minute wait to get in.

AlcahueteJ and Sheppard like this.
  26. MattOC

Trader

My guess on the cans/bottle to go was there actually wasn’t any when the Brighton site went live and the info was carried from the Salem webpage when I posted it above.

Sheppard likes this.
  27. EnronCFO

I was joking with a friend on Friday “imagine if trillium opened this instead of Notch.”
    There’d be a line down the street and the crowd would be annoying. So far, Notch has captured the feel of a friendly neighborhood beer garden and taproom very well. Within an hour of the rain stopping on Friday the place got busy but it never felt packed or crowded. And the crowd was chill. No haze bros trying to flip cans in trades, no kids running around. And I was there for a long time.

28. MattOC

Trader

Were there no kids at all or just no kids running around? I thought Notch banned kids.

29. EnronCFO

I only recall a stroller or two. Didn’t see any kids.

30. eaglephile

eaglephile Initiate (164) Jan 12, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Chris mentioned on here back in May that before the pandemic they didn’t sell many cans from the brewery, so once they opened back up without restrictions they wanted to focus on the taproom experience.

Maybe the highlight of my pandemic was getting ups boxes full of Notch. At least now I can go to Brighton to drink a few liters.

AlcahueteJ and EnronCFO like this.
  31. wehaveamap

wehaveamap Aspirant (222) Jan 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

I thought I read kids are allowed except after 6 on the weekends.

Place is just fantastic. The level of busy so far is ideal - looks like a full house, Notch hopefully raking in cash, but rarely longer than a 2 minute wait for a beer (if that) and no struggle to find a place to sit. And it goes without saying at this point, but the beer itself is unbelievably good.

I hope the opening of the other spots in the Speedway adds to the experience rather than detracts. Like, I love Bow Market in theory and have only had good times there, but good luck if you want to go there on a nice Saturday. This seems literally twice as big, and is a bit more off the beaten path, so I'm optimistic.

32. Trull

Trull Devotee (412) Dec 24, 2016 Massachusetts

My wife and I rode our bikes on the Charles for awhile, then biked over to Notch yesterday afternoon. I had the Standard and Tmavy on draft, while the Mrs who prefers IPA’s, enjoyed Left of the
    Dial, and the Voll projekt Keep your cool. I had a sip and didn’t love, but she liked it.
    Great space and atmosphere, and extremely easy to strike up a conversation with a neighbor due to the communal aspect of the outdoor seating. Oh, and the table service is great, so quick and efficient!
    Saw Chris walk around as we were leaving.
    We’ll definitely be back, and the fact that I can tie in a little exercise with the bikes, I think it’s an easier sell with Mrs.
    Here are a couple of pics I posted yesterday on the what beer are you drinking thread.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

33. MattOC

Trader

I’m joking about kids. We have a toddler, but I love the kid hating crowd.

Piels25, matthewp, 7irondave and 5 others like this.
  34. Sheppard

Sheppard Poo-Bah (2,302) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Lots of kids at Notch today (edit: none that bothered me, a none kid having simpleton). Went with my dad, man, what a great space! As others have said, it was busy, but not full. It might be once the food stalls open. Nice to have Notch close to us now. Enjoyed pours of Tmavy, Fire Walk, and The Standard. I will be there often.

meefmoff, AlcahueteJ, tigg924 and 3 others like this.
  35. AlcahueteJ

Society

Yup, Bow is awesome but can be hard to get into sometimes. Although I went yesterday early afternoon and it wasn't crowded at all.

Was there a Sunday afternoon last month too, and same thing. So maybe it's died down a bit now that everyone isn't looking for outdoor seating due to the pandemic?

eaglephile likes this.
  36. DucRacer900

DucRacer900 Initiate (117) Aug 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Went to Notch Brighton twice yesterday, so happy this is 2 miles from my house!
    Great space and really great service. Had Tmavy, The Standard, Garageland and Teenage Riot. The Standard on draft is heavenly. I know Notch is not really trying to be an IPA place, but I love the twist they put on these (using German hops or using a Kolsch yeast) and they are really great.

37. tavernakhione

tavernakhione Initiate (27) Jun 28, 2015 Maine

Thoroughly enjoyed Brighton yesterday. Service is top notch. Fire walk, the standard, grodziskie and the hefeweizen were excellent. The printed menus, that are very informative, are a nice touch in the days of qr codes. It seems like it'll have a Bow market feel once the other businesses are up in running.

There is something nice about drinking by the water in Salem but driving distance from Maine is nearly the same so it'll be another great spot to hit. And close to Brato. A homerun!

38. hudsonvalleyslim

hudsonvalleyslim Disciple (366) May 29, 2003 Massachusetts

There were many toddlers running around on Saturday. It was very entertaining. Great space with lotsa potential, and a short walk to the Night Shift beer garden on the Charles River. And not far from Brato Brewhouse which I also like a lot.

Sheppard and AlcahueteJ like this.
  39. jaygates

jaygates Initiate (114) Apr 23, 2007 Massachusetts

Aeronaut also has a beer garden about a half mile east on Western Ave.

I used to work on Soldiers Field Rd, and my company moved to Medford with 7 or 8 breweries nearby, but it looks like our old hood is catching up.

40. matthewp

matthewp Aspirant (234) Feb 27, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

And the tap list would be 20 variations of the same IPA, a few sours, and a whole lot of stouts with cocoa nubs (ok I know that's an exaggeration). I don't have anything against breweries like Trillium but at this point there are so many places doing the exact same thing, Notch is a nice change of pace. I love and drink a lot of NE IPA's but I'm finding it harder and harder to get excited about new ones (or spending $4-7 per can), likewise with Stouts. I am excited every time I see a new Notch beer though and have no concerns paying good money for their beer.

Davl22, meefmoff, eaglephile and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.