Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Nugget Nectar Date Rubbed Off

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TheNoodleIncident, Feb 8, 2013.

1. TheNoodleIncident

Just bought a sixer of NN - excited to dive in. But I noticed something odd - on all six bottles, the bottled date appears to be rubbed off. I can easily read the batch (130103), but the date itself is extremely hard to read.

In the end, I'm not too worried because it can only be so old, but I just wanted see what others thought of this.

On a side note, I also got a growler of Sucks - going to be a good weekend.

Willbfun and Stockfan42 like this.
  2. JitsuBrew

Beer Trader

Had the same problem on some RR bottles i picked up. Still tasted great

3. JitsuBrew

Beer Trader

Sucks was pretty good too

4. Nectar

All of the dates but a few on the case I bought today were smudged to the point you can't read it.

5. TheNoodleIncident

I'm thinking it might be the part of the bottle that rubs against the bottling line. I don't think my store is doing anything shady, they are good guys, but it's just odd. Or perhaps just poor design.

6. JitsuBrew

Beer Trader

I agree, sometimes they pack that stuff in

7. thedominator

i am drinking that batch right now i think it says 1/24 on mine

8. TheNoodleIncident

One of my bottles looks like 1/24 as well. Good to know. I assume it's drinking great?

9. j1knapp

Where are you? my distributor in MD put out nugget this week bottled on Monday 2/4

10. cproioi

Mine is 1/24 as well and drinks great

11. JeffTheJuice

It's like that on most of them. As mentioned earlier it's probably from contact on the bottling line with overflow.

12. beernut

DO NOT DRINK THEM! I have been notified by Troegs, I'm the east coast "handler" of situations that you have described. All Nugget Nectar must be sent to me. This could be serious, my address to follow.

scootsmal, bonghitta, dman127 and 2 others like this.
  13. Eriktheipaman

Beer Trader

All the ones I've seen are the same way. It's no older than 3 weeks at this point though judging by what everyone else has been getting here on BA.

14. NoLeafClover44

Beer Trader

All the bottles in my case showed the same type of thing. Batch clearly visible, but the top half of the bottling date is absent. I drink alot of troegs and I haven't found this to be too much of a problem in the past. I wonder if they have changed ink/equipment or maybe it was just the end of a cartridge. Thankfully, we know how old the NN is. If this were a problem on bottles of Perpetual I might pass (one of my favorite beers, but only when fresh).

15. CurtFromHershey

Beer Trader

I've been noticing this a lot lately for their beers

16. LeRose

Subscriber

Looks to me that the batch is also a date. Looks like Jan 03, 2013, possibly?

Coding is one of the last steps on the line. I can't imagine this is done any differently for beer than we do for ournon-beer bottles. Fill and cap, tunnel if they are pasteurizing, then code and label or label and code. Dry bottle or the ink won't stick in the first place. Coders are finicky bitches as are labellers. If the line speed is a hair off or the ink jet head isn't perfectly aligned, clogged jets, photo eye trigger is dirty, whatever...they are a pain in the ass especially if they are doing two lines. Dunno about beer, but our product has to have same code on case and bottle. Doubt it would be on the our or wider sleeve.

17. opothecary

I know a place in Rochester that does this with old beer

18. Homebrewpat

In both cases i bought some of the dates were rubbed off others weren't. My earlier release was 1/12 the case that just shipped to nj was 1/23

19. ItsLaTrappe

FWIW not a single bottle in my case had a stamp on it! Box has 5/2/13 which is 4 months out per the brewer's website. 6 pack from a few days earlier had an easy to read black ink "born on" stamp on the base of the neck. OP it doesn't seem likely that any is left from last year, but just yesterday I saw some 75 Min as a new arrival at the local store and SN Hoptimum is still around from last year!!

20. FlakyBiscuit

Just picked up a 4 pack of palate wrecker. The bottled date stamp on the bottom of the bottle said jan 29, 2013(awesomely fresh) however, when I ran my thumb over the stamp, it came right off.

21. Dools9

Noticed the dates were rubbed off the majority of my six pack bottles. I pulled them from a case and most of the others in the case were rubbed off as well but I could still make out the 1/17/13 date on them.

22. LiquidCucumber

Subscriber

Mine was the 1/24 batch. Some of them had the stamp completely on and others did not; the printing seemed to be affected by the slight ridge at the top of the bottle.

23. cjoc83

Beer Trader

May I ask where you saw the 75 Minute, and also if you know the last time it was brewed? I found some today, drank a 750, and thought it was pretty damn good but definitely lacking a bit in the maple syrup flavor, and also a little bit more bitter than I'd imagine a 90 Minute and 60 Minute combined would be. Oddly enough, even if it was old, I still really liked it...

24. TheNoodleIncident

Long Island

25. jesskidden

Subscriber

I don't think so. On my bottles:

BOTTLED 012213 08:43​
    BATCH #130102​

The latter line I assume to be read as the 102nd batch of Troegs bottled in 2013.

26. SenorHops

Meh! One of the most overhyped beers I've ever had. Pretty good for the style(Imperial Red), but as an IPA (No way).

27. LeRose

Subscriber

Wa
    Just interpreted it as a possible date because that is how we write lot codes for an ingredient we produce. Inside out date is our batch number, then we put a fill date on the containers. Everybody does things differently.

But it would need more numbers to identify it assuming multiple batches a day, so batch number makes sense. It would tie to the other production records.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe