NW Oregon Trip – Who’s In?

Discussion in 'US - West' started by psweendogg, Jun 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psweendogg

psweendogg Savant (905) Jun 30, 2005 Connecticut
    Society Trader

** Skip this thread if you don’t like words **

Hey Northwest BA crew! I’ve been following your forum for a few months now… just counting down the days to my Oregon trip. I’ve done a ton of research already but I’m hoping you all can help steer me in the right direction for my upcoming visit if I’ve gone astray (beyond watching Portlandia). I’ve read the most recent “Visiting Portland”, “Visiting Tillamook”, and “Visiting Bend/Sunriver” threads. I’ve read the recent threads for the few local breweries that have recent threads. I’ve read about your epic bottle share and I really wish I had enough time to get to Fremont (been trading to land some bottles)! I’ve even hooked up a few NW BA’s with some great East Coast beer and suggestions while they were in my neck of the woods (looking at you @John_M and @DefenCorps )

I have always wanted to head out that way but my wife and I finally decided to pull the trigger after Extreme Beerfest where we struck up a great conversation with James from Great Notion (while in line for food of course). We started looking at all that Portland had to offer and then we decided that we didn’t want to limit our trip to “just” Portland. Instead, we have planned a week long road trip throughout the region that starts and ends in Portland. Our trip is finally coming up and I’m hoping the NW forum contributors can help us tweak our agenda to make sure we get the most out of it. And if it works out, we would love to grab a beer with some of you during our travels!

Oh… and it is imperative that we keep the wife happy. If I want a fighting chance of ever making it back to the PNW, I need to treat this trip like our marriage is on the line. So, here’s what you need to know about her:

Wild / Sour fan – I’m counting on you @deGardebrewing
    Oregon Pinot Noir fan – Accepting Willamette Valley recommendations.
    NEIPA fan – Very helpful “Juice Bomb” thread highlighting the #pnwneipa scene. You’re welcome for the new hash tag.

We are hoping to hit the best drinkeries (beer / wine / coffee), to eat the best food (on a somewhat tight budget), and to visit some of the most quintessential places during our whirlwind tour. We love out of the ordinary and quirky places. We love classic and creative local food especially if we don’t have to use all of our beer money or wait hours for it. We don’t want to spend all of our time at bars or in breweries (except maybe while we’re in Bend) but we do want to break up our days with regular pit stops. Most importantly, we want to check out the scenery and watch the sunset with a beer in hand every night! If you can help us make that happen, that would be amazing.

Since our agenda covers a bunch of different locations, I’m going to post a “reply” for each day of our trip. However, I’m only going to post one day of our agenda at a time and then I’ll wait a few days before posting the next day. The suspense will be killing you… and it will keep my thread alive as I will be regularly bumping it until just before my trip!!! I’m hoping that brilliant approach will allow you good people to reply back to any specific day with relevant suggestions… and it will keep it current.

We are pretty “locked in” with regards to the actual start and end points for each day. However, the path from one location to the other is completely flexible… scenic routes are preferred but not necessarily at the expense of good food / beer / wine / destinations. We would like to have options for drinks and snacks (or easy meals) in each time slot even though we know we won’t be able to do it all. Obviously, we will end up lingering in some spots longer than others so we’ll just knock less exciting stops off the agenda.

We have done several trips like this and now we do it to celebrate our anniversary every summer. I feel like I have a pretty decent idea of what we intend to do but it’s purely based on things that I’ve read while sitting behind a computer on the opposite side of the country. If you’ve been to any of these places and you have any insider tips, I would love to hear them... especially if there is anything notable happening while we’re in town. And if you happen to frequent (or work at) any of these places, we would love for you to say hi when we get there… even if you just want to share your thoughts on clam guns, grape lotion, and haiku. Look for the early 40ish year-old guy wearing an East Coast brewery t-shirt sitting next to the late 30ish year-old woman who looks like she is way too good for him (she is… tank top, great tattoos, etc.). With that said, constructive feedback (i.e. skip this place and add this place) is greatly appreciated. We just want to do this right and would love to meet some great people along the way. I may not have much to offer but I drink and I know things!

Thanks,
    Patrick

P.S. If any of you are willing to help me put together a small gift box of local specialties (like under $25) representing any of my destinations, I will gladly reimburse you in person. Sure, I could arrange to have flowers delivered (and I might still do that) to any of these places but I really want this to be memorable… and different. I would love to put together some type of gift box for each day (or stop) on the trip but I don’t want to be super touristy and spend a ton of time in gift shops. I want a local touch especially if I can surprise her with a “Welcome Packet” at a bunch of different destinations with local beverages (beer / wine / coffee / kombucha), local snacks, postcards, small souvenirs (especially if they’re slightly weird or even totally weird), etc. If you feeling like helping out a brother out, that would be amazing.

2. psweendogg

Society Trader

Sunday, 7/23 JFK > PDX > Tillamook > Pacific City

Late Morning (9-12): JFK > PDX
    Early Afternoon (12-3): PDX > Great Notion (Lunch) >
    Late Afternoon (3-6): de Garde > Tillamook Cheese Factory (Snack) > Cape Meares >
    *Sunset Beer (6-8): Cape Lookout > Cape Kiwanda > *Pelican Pub (Dinner) >
    Final Stop: Inn at Cape Kiwanda in Pacific City

Recap: Arrive at PDX just before noon. GN for lunch around 12:30 (We will be back to spend more quality time later on the trip). Drive past some fields and some cows. Around 3:30, arrive at a small rural brewery specializing in many diverse styles of ales, but with a focus on spontaneous fermentations inspired by the European farmhouse traditions. Attempt to drink ALL of their beer before they kick us out at 5. Make a quick stop for some dairy products. Head to the coast in search of an Octopus tree. Count the capes on the Three Capes Scenic Drive. Arrive in Pacific City just in time for our Sunset Beer. Call it a night since we’ve been up since 5:30 AM Eastern Time!

Mark your calendars, save us a seat at the bar, and set aside a bottle of Nectarine Premiere! Can’t possibly get any better than that, right?

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  3. Robomunky

Robomunky Aspirant (200) May 14, 2015 Washington
    Trader

This sounds like an awesome day that's going to leave you dead to the world for most of the next day.

66jzmstr and psweendogg like this.
  4. psweendogg

Society Trader

Very solid point! I already had to knock a bunch of non-essential stops off the agenda for Day 1 (knowing I was being overly ambitious). Realistically, I'm thinking we can end our day around 9pm which will give us plenty of time to regroup for Day 2. We should be able to get in 10 to 11 hours of sleep and then we can start again around 8:30 - 9:00 the next morning.

On East Cost time, that means Day 1 runs from 5:30 AM until midnight and then Day 2 starts at 11:30am. "Dead to the world" is a good way to put it. The transition from East Coast time to West Coast time may be more of a challenge then I'm anticipating!

5. balto22

balto22 Initiate (65) Feb 7, 2013 New York
    Trader

Great Notion is right next to Barista Coffee, which while not a roaster themselves, typically has a variety of delicious single origin coffees available from local roasters, and has a cool vibe as well. Salt and Straw (across the street from GN) has some fantastic ice cream, and the Waffle Window is a few blocks down with great sweet and savory waffles. Personally my favorite coffee roaster is Heart Coffee, which is not super close to GN, but could be on your way as you head towards dG. One thing to be aware of (Which you probably already are) is that dG closes at 5:00 on Sunday, and if you leave GN at 3:00, its about a 1:45min drive to dG, not really leaving you any time. Anyway, Looks like an awesome time!

psweendogg likes this.
  6. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

Pro-tip: Before you buy any bottles from Pelican, check across the street at the Cape Kiwanda Marketplace. They don't always have everything in stock, but what they do have is typically $1-2 less than what the brewery charges.

psweendogg likes this.
  7. psweendogg

Society Trader

@balto22 This is amazing information!!! When we finally make our way back to Portland, our Airbnb is right in that neighborhood. We're only expecting to be at Great Notion for about an hour (like 12:30 - 1:30) before heading to de Garde. We will get to spend more quality time at GN when we return to Portland later in the week. Thanks for all of the awesome info.

balto22 likes this.
  8. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (7,203) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

There's a Great Notion thread you might want to glance at as well. There's a fair amount of irrelevant, over the top comments and assertions, but there's a lot of helpful, very relevant information as well. As you may be aware, GN is in the process of building a second brewery location over on the West Side, and for now, they've cut back on local production at the NE Alberta St. location. That mostly affects growler sales/releases (which have become very infrequent and limited), and shouldn't have much impact on you if you're just planning on stopping by for a few beers with lunch.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/great-notion.378684/

The bros have become increasingly intolerant of threads that are unrelated to beer. So I won't respond to your request for winery information here. However, I think I still have a fairly lengthy "visiting the Willamette wine country" email that I'll try to dig up, and will send your way via beer mail.

psweendogg likes this.
  9. psweendogg

Society Trader

John - No need for wine info...that's not a high priority at all! But I will make sure to continue reading the Great Notion thread. Thanks for your help.

10. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Champion (879) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon

FWIW, two hours from Great Notion to de Garde may be optimistic. Definitely keep your Google Maps close by. Sounds like a fantastic trip!

psweendogg likes this.
  11. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Will try to respond to your post paragraph by paragraph (to the extent I can and feel qualified to do so). This is for your stay in PDX.

I get the impression you've kept your information request as general as possible, in order to get as wide a range of recommendations as possible. However, there are just so many places that arguably meet your information request, that it's really hard to narrow things down. So I'm going to make general responses to the info request.

The NW is a coffee mecca, with places like Portland and Seattle teeming with small coffee shops that serve a great cup of Joe. The chains are all here as well (Starbucks, Peets, Seattle's best, etc.), as well as local power houses like Stumptown, Wandering Goat, Portland Coffee roasting company, Water Coffee, etc.). While you're in PDX, you might as well hit Stumptown (even though they now have a great spot in the airport as well) or Water, but in all honesty, I would simply walk outside your hotel and head into the first coffee shop you come across. It's bound to be good (I've yet to find a bad one in town). Unlike other places I've lived, no one has to make a special effort in Portland to find good coffee.

As for wine, I already sent you a beermail with my personal recommendations. One thing I think you'll find, is that most restaurants you visit are going to have a surprisingly decent beer and wine selection. Especially when it comes to craft beer. Even high end restaurants like Paley's Place, Higgins, the Heathman and Tasty n Alder, will have a fairly decent selection of beer available (usually both on tap and in bottle). If you want to visit a restaurant that does both very well (has good food and a good tap list), I would point you back to the visiting Portland thread.

In terms of the best restaurants, there are so many good ones in this food obsessed town, that it's hard to respond. While you're here, you should probably hit Pok Pok, and maybe Apizza Scholls and/or Ken's for pizza. Tasty n Alder continues to be one of my favorite restaurants in town, for all that they don't take reservations and waits for a table can be long (though if you get there right around the time they open, at 5:00, you can sometimes get right in). Otherwise, places like Le Pigeon, Little Bird, Beast, Olympia Provisions, Andina, Toro Bravo (but does not take reservations, and waits for a table can be very long), Imperial, Ox, Mediterranean Exploration and Nostrano, just to name a few, are all popular and highly regarded. If either of you are vegetarian, you might want to consider Farm Spirit, which is the best vegetarian restaurant I've ever been to by far.

In terms of best places to go for craft beer, I would rely on the visiting PDX thread, and just stop by whatever places are near your hotel. However, you mentioned you wanted some place where you can sit out and enjoy the view. In that regard, I might recommend Wayfinder, which has a great outdoor deck (pretty good food and tap selection as well), or maybe even Salty's on the Columbia (a bit spendy, but the foods pretty decent).

Have fun.

#11 John_M, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    psweendogg and mudbug like this.
  12. psweendogg

Society Trader

@John_M Amazing beermail with wine suggestions! Now, I have some great leads for coffee and restaurants to go along with beer and wine. I knew that you guys would be way ahead of me on this stuff. I'm going to take all of your feedback and check hours of operations and addresses. Then, I'll compare it with our initial agenda to see what will work out best. It's so awesome to have advice from the locals... especially when it comes to combining great food, great beer, great vibes, great views, etc. I really appreciate all of your effort.

More importantly, it's great to get information that isn't readily available in a million other threads. The Northeast forum is clogged with "when does this place open" type questions. The NW forum is a way more friendly and fun place to visit!!! Thanks again.

13. Rip_City

Rip_City Initiate (40) Jul 16, 2016 Oregon

I second all those great dinner suggestions by John. One place that I suggest to people or take out of town guests is Pine Street Market in downtown. It is a great place for a low key dinner. I would describe it as a communal dining with maybe 15 small micro-restaurants serving up a mix of great food ranging from burgers to ramen to German sausages and even Korean/southern BBQ fusion. Many of the places are spinoffs or second restaurants to the ones John mentioned. Each place has a couple great local beers on tap as well, with some of them having full bars. It reminded me of an outdoor food court that I visited in Vienna where patrons could grab food, and even watch opera on a large screen in the park. Similarly to Vienna, food is served with real tableware, and not just compostable to-go boxes. However, you can pick up food if you wish. I'd suggest going on a weekday as it doesn't get too busy. Street parking is free after 7pm. Lastly, it is walking distance to baileys taproom and the upper lip which always have great beers on tap and bottles for in-house consumption and to take back to your place.

psweendogg and vurt like this.
  14. shelby415

shelby415 Meyvn (1,107) Oct 10, 2011 Oregon
    Trader

Since you mentioned "'modest" eats I'll throw in Pine State Biscuits, which is practically the same building as Great Notion. You planned out a hell of a day one, but if I were in your shoes I'd grab a few biscuits for the road and have a snack ready. As long as you don't get anything with eggs or cheese they'll be perfect when you're ready for 'em.

15. South2NW

South2NW Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2013 Oregon

@psweendogg Seems like you've been well taken care of for most of your inquiries.

Here are some Oregon Pinot suggestions, even if it's not a top priority:

Beaux Freres and Patricia green are next door to each other.

Bergström

Archery Summit (grapes for de Garde's The Archer)

Sokol Blosser

Ponzi

Raptor ridge.

Like beer, this list could go on forever. Also, if you roll through the Newberg/Dayton area, you may as well stop in to Wolves & People to have a beer. Open Thursday-Sunday.

psweendogg likes this.
  16. psweendogg

Society Trader

@Rip_City , @shelby415 Thanks for the additional suggestions! Pine State Biscuits was already on my radar. Sounds like I should probably check out Pine Street Market as well. I'll eventually post my agenda for the Portland part of my trip and I'll see where I can fit that stuff in.

@South2NW Even though it wasn't our top priority, Oregon Pinot was another key driver to the trip. I'm looking forward to mapping out these places along with the ones that @John_M mentioned. We will definitely do a day trip to hit a few of them. Priority will likely be scenery / experience as opposed to wine quality (assuming most of these are interchangeable in that space). Wolves & People is definitely on the list and timing looks good with their Thursday - Sunday hours!

Looking forward to posting the next day of our trip a little bit later! It looks like another extremely full do... there is so much to do with so little time.

17. psweendogg

Society Trader

Monday, 7/24 Pacific City > Newport > Corvalis > Eugene
    Morning Coffee
    : Stimulus Espresso Café >
    Late Morning (9-12): Pacific City > Cape Foulweather > Devil’s Punchbowl > Tidal Raves (Lunch) >
    Early Afternoon (12-3): Yaquina Lighthouse > Rogue > Newport Bayfront (Snack) >
    Late Afternoon (3-6): OSU Campus > Block 15 (Snack) > Whiteaker (Eugene) >
    *Sunset Beer (6-8) / Pub Crawl (8-10): Oakshire > *Beer Garden / Fisherman’s Market (Dinner) > Ninkasi > Blairally Arcade > Hop Valley >
    Final Stop: AirBNB in Whiteaker

Recap: Here is what we have lined up for Day 2. Trying to check out the scenery along the coast before making a pit stop in Newport. I figured we would check out the historic Bayfront area (candy shop, Surf Town coffee, Sea Lion Docks, Made In Oregon, and other touristy junk) before heading over to the Block 15 taproom. From there, we’ll make our way over to Eugene to do an evening Pub Crawl at all of the places within walking distance. Any places we missed? Any places we should skip? Cheap dinner recommendations besides what I’ve listed? Can’t wait. Thanks Northwesterners!!!

18. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,812) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Bless your East Coast, hyperactive heart. I moved out here in 2000, from the East Coast, and, it took me a few years to adapt. IMHO, drop a couple targets each day, and have a better experience each day. You do you, and enjoy your visit however you choose. But, sometimes, you go faster by slowing down.

19. Strangestbrewer

Strangestbrewer Initiate (76) Oct 17, 2014 Oregon

This day seems really really really optimistic, especially in the 12-6 block. I feel you should drop some things or plan on it taking like at least 2+ hours.

psweendogg and BBThunderbolt like this.
  20. itracy63

itracy63 Disciple (375) Apr 20, 2013 Washington

My wife and I left Olympia on a Sunday once with plans to road trip down the Oregon coast, to N. California and be back to Portland that Saturday. We made it to Newport by Friday. IMO, not a trip you can lock eyes on the next stop. That being said, I'm already enjoying this thread and look forward to following your trip, it'll be a great time no matter how it unfolds!

21. shelby415

Trader

I agree that day 2 will likely take longer than you expect it. Personally, I'd just use the bathroom at Rogue and maybe grab a bottle to go. The food is not cheap enough for its quality. Also, unless you really like Hop Valley beers, you won't be missing much by skipping them.

Corvallis and Eugene are cool towns to walk around in and explore too, so don't be afraid to slow down.

Whatever happens, I'm impressed with the prep you've done on this. You're gonna have a blast, even if you only make half the stops you planned.

psweendogg, BBThunderbolt and vurt like this.
  22. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I agree that your day two itinerary seems a bit optimistic. That's a lot you have crammed into the day, though I can't find fault with any of your planned excursions. The only change I might recommend is your end of the day plans for Eugene. Is there some particular reason you want to hit all those breweries? The reason I ask, is that Ninkasi, Oakshire and Hop Valley beers are readily available all over Oregon and Washington, and frankly, the brewpubs are nothing distinctive. On the other hand, Eugene has some outstanding beer bars, that feature a great selection of local and regional stuff. For my money, it would be my recommendation that you visit Bier Stein, 16 tons tap house, the tap and growler, or the beergarden. If you really feel you must visit a brewery tasting room while in Eugene, it would be my recommendation that you stop by the Sam Bond's tasting room on E. 8th Street. It's small and distinctive, and they make some interesting stuff that you won't find any place else during your travels. Also, nothing at all against Fisherman's Market, but seeing as how you're already stopping at a great seafood place for lunch, maybe consider this place as an alternative for dinner in Eugene. The wine and cocktail list is solid, the food is innovative, creative and distinctive, and you really catch the vibe of the "Whit" at this place.

http://www.izakayameiji.com/

Just my two cents. You certainly won't have a bad time if you decide to visit Ninkasi, Oakshire and Hop Valley, but I think you'll have a better time at the places I recommended. Frankly, I think it would be a shame to visit Eugene and not visit Bier Stein.

In any event, have fun.

#22 John_M, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  23. andy712

andy712 Initiate (0) Jul 23, 2016 Oregon

Agree wholeheartedly on the above. Pretty much in that order. The 16 tons tap house is the one on 13th and High st. (not the cafe at 28th and Willamette). Very interesting tap list and good bottle selection. The Bier Stein bottle selection is probably the best and all refrigerated, but a little pricier that 16 tons. BTW, if you're a fan of saisons, try to find a bottle of Alesong's Touch of Brett, mosiac while you're in town. It's fantastic. Better slightly, I think, than their original Touch of Brett from last year, which won gold at the 2016 GABF.
    https://www.alesongbrewing.com/beers/#spring-2017

Have fun!

24. NedStarkravingmad

NedStarkravingmad Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2015 Washington

I like a lot of these suggestions but would caution that Patricia Green is only open to the public one or two days a year. For that Portland-->Wine country trip (or vice versa) I would highly recommend stopping at Eyrie vineyards if you get to McMinnville (it's RIGHT next door to Heater Allen, which is one of the chillest beer places around and they make great lagers) as well as stopping at NW Growlers on 99W for a beer and some snacky food or a grilled cheese to soak up the liquid.

psweendogg and South2NW like this.
  25. dphi

dphi Initiate (110) Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

Oakshire at least tends to have a good amount of one-off stuff available at the pub though right? It's been a while since I've been there but I remember having some really nice brewery exclusive beers in the past.

psweendogg likes this.
  26. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Yep, that's definitely true. It varies of course, but I'd say they typically have at least 4 or 5 limited release, brewery only beers on tap at any one time. IMHO, it's definitely the primary reason for visiting the pub.

That being said, when I lived in Eugene, I would rarely go there. The selection over at the Tap and Growler, Bier Stein and 16 tons was always far more interesting. So that's where I tended to go.

#26 John_M, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    psweendogg likes this.
  27. psweendogg

Society Trader

Wow… excellent feedback from everyone as usual! The one thing I want to clarify is that I know that I won’t be able to hit all of the places that I’ve listed. I also know I won’t have time to stop at all of the places that you’re all recommending. I’m really using this thread as a way to gather some true local knowledge so we can make better decisions when we have to choose A over B. I know my opening comments were pretty wordy but one key thing that I’ll add when I post the next leg of the trip is this:

“Obviously, we will end up lingering in some spots longer than others so we’ll just knock less exciting stops off the agenda.”

With that said, here are my thought and responses to your feedback about Day 2:

@beertunes @Strangestbrewer @shelby415 I think you all nailed it: “drop a couple targets each day”, “drop some things”, “don't be afraid to slow down.” I’m hoping that we can strike a decent balance by enjoying our time at a few key places while trying to grab a beer as time allows.

@itracy63 Thanks for following along. I enjoy reading East Coast road trip agendas when people post them and I always want to find out what they actually end up doing. We’re expecting a relatively brief stop in Newport but we’ll at least walk around for a little while.

@John_M The breweries that I listed in Eugene are just the ones that appeared to be within walking distance of the place we’re staying at. We don’t actually expect to hit them all. I just threw all the names in here so I could see what people thought. I don’t think I’ve tried beer from any of those places so the feedback on this thread is really helping me figure out what places to ignore. I’m going to make a note of all the places you’ve listed. In particular, Sam Bond’s sounds like a great stop! Plus, I agree that if we make it to Tidal Raves, we can skip Fisherman’s Market. Izakaya Meiji looks like a great alternative for sure. I would love to make it over to The Bier Stein as well but it will definitely depend on my wife’s input… I know she’s looking forward to walking to as many places as possible and I’m not sure if it will be possible given all of the other amazing recommendations that you’ve provide… truly appreciated!

@andy712 I’m definitely into saisons and I will gladly look for Alesong’s Touch of Brett Mosaic… just read about it and it sounds great.

@NedStarkravingmad I appreciate the suggestions for the wine country segment of the trip! I’m not sure if we’ll make it out to McMinnville but I’ve added those places to my ever growing list of places to consider.

Thanks again everyone… It’s so great to have all of these recommendations! I really wish we had another week to be able to stop and enjoy even more of these places.

28. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

The aquarium in Newport is decent if you just want to get out of the car for a bit.

psweendogg likes this.
  29. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Your wife's wishes are certainly understandable. I don't know how ambitious you guys are when it comes to walking, but one thing I would mention about Eugene, is that the downtown area is pretty small and centralized. From the heart of the Whit, it's no more than a mile and half to any of the places I listed, with Bier Stein and Sam Bond's probably the farthest destinations.

Just something to keep in mind when you map out your plans for your stay in Eugene. No matter what you ultimately decide to do, or where you decide to go, I'm sure you'll have a great time.

30. psweendogg

Society Trader

@John_M It looks like we're staying near Sladden Park... about 2 miles from the Bier Stein. We actually looked at Sam Bond's website last night and there is a Sam Bond's "Garage" less than .5 miles from our Airbnb. It is right near Izakaya Meiji and she thought it sounded like a pretty fun place... some live jazz and free Bingo on the night we're in town. Have you ever been there? Just wondering if the experience is comparable to the tasting room that you mentioned (which is about 1.7 miles from our home base). Thanks as always!!!

31. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

It's different than the tasting room, and doesn't have as comprehensive a selection. I always think of it as more of bar/saloon and music venue, that just happens to have some Sam Bond beers on tap. If you go over to IM for dinner, then you could easily stop on over for a beer or three afterwards (it is indeed right nearby).

32. psweendogg

Society Trader

Excellent. I think that gives us more than enough info to keep busy on day 2. Here's what we have in mind for Tuesday. We know we won't be able to hit all of these places so we'll just skip the less exciting stops depending on your feedback:

Tuesday, 7/25 Eugene > Sunriver > Bend Ale Trail
    Morning Coffee: Wandering Goat Coffee >
    Late Morning (9-12): El Paso Taqueria (Snack) > Skinner Butte Park > Dee Wright Observatory >
    Early Afternoon (12-3): Sunriver Brewing (Lunch) > Lava River Cave > Newberry Volcanic Monument >
    Late Afternoon (3-6): Lava Butte > Cascade Lakes Lodge > Boneyard > Craft Kitchen (Snack) >
    *Sunset Beer (6-8) / Pub Crawl (8-10): Good Life > 10 Barrel > Drake Park > *Crux > Silver Moon > Deschutes (Dinner) > BBC >
    Final Stop: McMenamins Old St. Francis School

Recap: We’ll spend a little bit of time around Eugene before making the drive (2.5 - 3.0 hours?) to Sunriver. We don’t have any planned stops so we’re open to suggestions along the way. Looks like the quickest route is OR-58 to US-97 but we might opt to take the scenic route (OR-126 to OR-242) with a stop at Dee Wright Observatory. Thinking about grabbing lunch in Sunriver and then checking out the Lava River Cave and / or Newberry National Volcanic Monument. From there, it’s pretty much all about the Bend Ale Trail… walking as much as possible. We can definitely use suggestions for best places to eat in Bend and maybe a good place to sit outside for a sunset beer. Most importantly, we would love to know about any can't miss beer!

sharpski likes this.
  33. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

NWer, psweendogg and sharpski like this.
  34. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

35. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,248) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

Silver Moon is currently closed with no announced re-opening date yet.

You may want to reconsider the sequencing of the stops so the distances involved don't suck up too much of your limited time. Crux, CRAFT Kitchen, and Immersion are close to each other, and Immersion-Boneyard is an easier traverse than Crux-Boneyard. Cascade Lakes, GoodLife, 10 Barrel, and Sunriver's Bend pub are in an easy line, and you can continue on to either BBC/Deschutes/McMenamins or McMenamins/Deschutes/BBC.

It won't get you an ale trail stamp, but WhiteWater Taphouse across the street from the Deschutes pub is usually a good spot to try some of the our smaller breweries like Kobold, Monkless, etc. in one stop.

Our local bus service, Cascades East Transit, is operating a free shuttle this summer, and the route lines up with more than a few of these places. I know you're looking to do some walking, but better to know about it than not.

cherche, psweendogg and BBThunderbolt like this.
  36. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

FWIW, my friend Dan, who was in Bend last week (Ching Ching at hand as I type!), said that the folks where you turn in the Tap Trail maps are being lenient, about Silver Moon being closed, and if someone can't get out to the out-of-town breweries.

psweendogg likes this.
  37. psweendogg

Society Trader

@beertunes We will probably decide that morning (depends on when we wake up) if we can make the trip down to Crater Lake because it obviously looks amazing. The High Desert Museum looks like a great option as well. I would love to do one or the other so we will see how the wife feels. Also, thanks for the heads up regarding the Trail Maps. We are hoping to hit 10 of the places but we know we won’t be able to hit them ale.

@John_M Thanks again for another great option along the way! It looks like the Brewer’s Union opens at noon so if the timing works out that looks like a nice pit stop for sure.

@sharpski Thanks a lot for the Bend / Sunriver thread! I read through the previous thread and the most recent thread to make sure I had the "Must-Hit" places on my radar. The other stops I picked were based on proximity to our hotel or our route into Bend. I’m sad we’re going to miss Ale Apothecary but I think the other places should keep us pretty busy.

And thank you so much for the heads up on Silver Moon. I completely agree that the sequencing needs to be tweaked… I think it will all depend on our route into Bend. I will definitely take another look at the order. White Water is another great option to have but it looks like we will have to be wary of our timing since a lot of those places close at 10 on Tuesdays. Plus, Cascades East Transit sounds like an amazing idea... it will be nice to be able to walk to a few places and to have that as our fallback plan (I'm almost sure we will want to use it)!

sharpski and BBThunderbolt like this.
  38. shelby415

Trader

I don't have much to add here, but Broken Top is a bottle shop in Bend that typically carries Ale Apothecary stuff if you can't make it out to the brewery. Also, though I'm sure Deschutes has great food (if it's as good as the Portland brewery) I was surprised at how much I liked the food at Crux. Just a thought. Have fun!

39. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

psweendogg likes this.
  40. psweendogg

Society Trader

@shelby415 Thanks for the bottle shop tip! I was actually having a hard time deciding between Crux, Deschutes, and Bend Brewing for dinner. There's a good chance that we will just grab something small at each of those places so we don't need to decide.

@beertunes Had to read it... Looking like Crater Lake vs. McKenzie Pass will be a game-time decision! I really wish we had more time... we're definitely going to miss out on some amazing places.

sharpski and BBThunderbolt like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.