NW WBAYDN November '18.

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by beertunes, Nov 5, 2018.

1. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,553) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

Start posting your Northwest beers here.

woemad and kemoarps like this.
  2. rrock44

rrock44 Disciple (321) Oct 27, 2009 Washington

From a conversation in the last thread. The topic/question about Rocky Coulee Brewing...

Me - Nope going strong. My buddy’s wife is somehow related to the owner or brewer. Anyway, kegs are always making their way to his house. I haven’t been, but my buddy says they put on one hell of an octoberfest.

Beertunes - Do you happen to know if they still do the beer garden for the annual Combine Demolition Derby? I keep meaning to get over for that.

The response: My buddy reports that RC does not do the beer for the combine Derby anymore. A few years ago Coors came in and Zach (RC) got pushed out.

To get to the spirit of the thread...cracked open a Aslan Batch - 15. Big fan of this one.

woemad, kemoarps, vurt and 1 other person like this.
  3. beertunes

Trader

Now that I'm on a real machine, and not my phone, I'll quote @John_M from the other thread

"Anyway, I gave him my reasons for why I think local threads should be allowed, and I believe he's at least tentatively agreed with my reasoning. However, he set some parameters, that I also think are reasonable. For one, he would like there to be a time limit on how long these threads run. That makes sense I think. While I might be interested in reading over what you were drinking last week or so, I don't think anyone cares what new beer you were drinking last July or August. So it was suggested that a new local WBAYDN thread be started every month, and the old one closed down. We could always reference past WBAYDN threads in the new thread, if you think that's a good idea.

One of the arguments I made about the uniqueness of having a NW thread, is that there are so many beers made in the NW that see little or no distribution. Personally, I enjoy hearing about those beers, and the posts in the NW thread often times pique my interest about a brewery I heretofore knew nothing about. I think this made sense to Todd, but so as to eliminate any overlap with the national thread, he would like the NW thread to just focus on beers made in the NW.

Last but not least Terry... as it was your idea to create a local WBAYDN thread, it seemed reasonable to ask you to maintain it as well. If you're OK with that. :sunglasses: It would just be a matter of starting a new thread every month, with the Title listing the current, active month (for example, see the current topic title). As you're the one who started the thread each month, I think you'll be able to close it down as well (once the month is over). Otherwise, you can just pass on a BM to me and I'll take care of it."

Monthly seems about right to me anyway, I doubt any of us are interested in two month posts anyway. I may need some guidance on how to close it ( I couldn't close it from the options on my phone, but I could have reported it). The tighter focus on NW only beers is a bit of a disappointment, but, I'm used to being disappointed.

And, it does seem that having a lot of our banter on this thread has lessened the amount we've been going off topic in individual threads, so maybe that's a point in our favor?

4. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (1,841) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Premium Trader

Perhaps the work-around is for non-NW rarities found at NW locales?

5. Joshbiir

Joshbiir Initiate (28) Dec 8, 2016 Washington

Norse code: a kveik/Brett ipa from urban family. I'll probably have a few more before this unique IPA goes away forever and then I'll cry a bit.

Lingenbrau, woemad, jpbebeau and 4 others like this.
  6. beertunes

Trader

That's a bit of hair-splitting, I think. But, since I am currently drinking a brew from Minnesota that I got in a recent BIF, I'mma just hush for now. :wink:

woemad, kemoarps and jakecattleco like this.
  7. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (1,841) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Premium Trader

Fair enough, probably a bit too broad. How about NW-rarities available for public purchase at NW locales?

NWer and beertunes like this.
  8. beertunes

Trader

After knocking back some brews from my BIF boxes, I'm onto my last can of Structures G.O.A.T.U.S. Still liking it.

9. WA_Brian

WA_Brian Initiate (66) Nov 17, 2015 Washington

With a case and a half of new AA beers, I need to drink down some of the stash. First up is Belmont La Tache. Little too much vinegar, but fruit flavors are delicious.

10. beertunes

Trader

A BLIPA Flight 113:

Lingenbrau, woemad and kemoarps like this.
  11. weaverr

weaverr Initiate (140) Jun 10, 2008 Oregon

There's a cask fresh hop from Machine House on at Imperial Alberta that is pretty swell. Just when you thought fresh hop season was over, they're back from the dead!

ballardbeer, woemad, kemoarps and 2 others like this.
  12. beertunes

Trader

The one beer I had from them came to from my buddy Tyler ( @chumba526 ). If I get over that way, I'd like to check them out.

woemad, kemoarps and rrock44 like this.
  13. beertunes

Trader

Knocking off my last The American Scream from Wander. I hope they brew this again.

woemad, kemoarps and rrock44 like this.
  14. kemoarps

kemoarps Meyvn (1,256) Apr 30, 2008 Washington
    Trader

My dad was in town last night and wanted to go to Reuben's since it was close to where he was working. OK, can do! He seemed pretty amazed that they brewed all those different beers at the same place. We also walked by the new production facility they're opening a couple of blocks away... it's pretty massive. Not quite as big as Fremont West I don't think, but in that scale. Methinks Reuben's gonna be getting out of state soon.

Anyway, I had the Bits Beta v2 and was largely just whelmed. It was solid... an ok standard IPA. I remember really enjoying last years Bits n Bobs, but less so this iteration. Still not bad though!

Then he wanted to get a burger and watch the Duke game (damn Zion looked good and the Blue Devils in general look scary... defense, rebounding, and a varietal attack on offense including slashing wings and plenty of range... ), so we swung over to Giddy Up and I drank a Rusty on tap. Was (pleasantly) surprised to find it, and man it hit the spot!

[​IMG]

Now I'm cracking in to the Maple Cream edition of Cosmic Cold Brew from Block 15 for, uh... research purposes. Solidly enjoyable enough, but didn't quite fulfill what I'd hoped from it. Tangential, but I think it's worth mentioning, but most stouts in single bottles like this I feel like are in the $10+ range (yes, it's 500ml not a full bomber, and yes it's 7.3% if that's important [it does seem to affect pricing] not 10%+, but still it's within that format/range), while this one was slightly more reasonably priced. At the 7 bucks it cost at Chuck's I feel like it's a reasonable pickup.

[​IMG]

Lingenbrau, woemad, vurt and 4 others like this.
  15. vurt

vurt Savant (956) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Premium

Mrs. vurt and I are at Orenco Taphouse tonight, since she is having a dental procedure tomorrow afternoon and will not be able to have beers for a week and a half.

"Why am I getting this done during the MLS Playoffs?" she asked. It's a fair question.

I had a pint of Hopfenbombe, a "German IPA" from Zoiglhaus. Very malty, and plenty of noble hop flavor. Hence, German IPA, I guess.

Mrs. vurt had a pint of Sticky Hands. Almost always a good choice.

Lingenbrau, woemad, kemoarps and 3 others like this.
  16. beertunes

Trader

Because it renders her eligible for the 17th.

17. beertunes

Trader

After a couple moar from my recent BIF boxes, back to a NW brew with an Old Bounder from Boundary Bay. Tis BW season, after all.

Texwild, woemad and kemoarps like this.
  18. beertunes

Trader

On my stroll home (not really strolling, a bit chilly this evening.), a quick stop at the Cabin for a pint of Head Full of Dynamite.

Lingenbrau, drone, woemad and 3 others like this.
  19. kemoarps

Trader

Dropped in on Cloudburst this evening. Buddy of mine suggested I try the smoked helles (Free Smoke) and the gin barrel pils (Like Sunshine).
    Tried both.
    They were both very very good.

Lingenbrau, drone, woemad and 2 others like this.
  20. beertunes

Trader

ISO both. I think gin barrel beers are more like Velma, as opposed to the basic whiskey barrel Daphne. One is superficially hot, the other is actually interesting, and sneaky hot.

Smoked beers, well, it depends I reckon. Wilma or Betty? Jane Jetson or Penelope Pitstop? Wut am I even going on about?

woemad, DefenCorps, vurt and 3 others like this.
  21. kemoarps

Trader

Yeah I think these both would be right up your alley. Or preferably down your gullet.

woemad and vurt like this.
  22. beertunes

Trader

A couple weeks ago I was in Wander, having a couple and obtaining beer for a BIF. I had sent a Global Mutt earlier, but the cap had leaked. My target mentioned that he had received one in an earlier BIF, and the cap had leaked on that one as well. Well, I ship those in every BIF, and never had a problem. Nor a problem with any other Wander bottle I've sent.

I grab another bottle to send along, and as I'm chatting with the brew hall manager, I mention this scenario. She not only didn't charge me for the bottle I was shipping out, she shoots into the cooler and grabs me an unlabeled low-fill of Mutt and gives it to me as a thanks for sending out so much of their beers over time. I'm drinking that bottle right now.

@kemoarps , @woemad , which one of you guys shipped to @thebeers in a BIF?

23. Superheatnsubcool

Superheatnsubcool Aspirant (291) May 31, 2016 Washington

Slopeside Lager by Northwest Brewing.

I recently noticed six packs of their beers in local bottle shops, and it piqued my interest.
    I visited their brewery in Pacific, WA once, but apparently it is now closed. Word is that Odin Brewing is producing most of their beer under contract.

I’m enjoying my can. It’s on sale near me for $7.99/6 pack 12oz cans, which is hard to beat.

woemad, kemoarps and beertunes like this.
  24. beertunes

Trader

Gotta love, what we lovingly call, Drinkin' Beers!

kemoarps and Superheatnsubcool like this.
  25. beertunes

Trader

@vurt , I happen to be sitting at a certain brewery, with the kickball game on. How y'all feeling right now?

26. vurt

Premium

My stomach hurts.

66jzmstr, kemoarps and beertunes like this.
  27. beertunes

Trader

Seems to match the general feel of the folks watching.

Imma just have another Cedar Dust.

vurt and kemoarps like this.
  28. vurt

Premium

I'll celebrate the Timbers' victory with Portland beers tomorrow. Tonight I had too much work to finish after watching the match. Not ideal, but there you go.

Lingenbrau, thebeers and beertunes like this.
  29. kemoarps

Trader

I believe that was me way back in #4 (was that monkeys with knives?). I feel pretty confident the next Global Mutt* I send out will not have any cap leakage issues, though!
    *The BA version that is headed michigan-wards in the next couple of days is waxed

30. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (2,233) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Thanks, gents. What was left in the second bottle was certainly very tasty. I’m looking forward to trying the third.

(The first bottle didn’t leak, BTW. Rather, it was massively overcarbonated. Required 20 minutes and a decanting to get more liquid in the glass than head.)

woemad, beertunes and kemoarps like this.
  31. weaverr

weaverr Initiate (140) Jun 10, 2008 Oregon

My beverages during that intense Car Show last night included a pFriem Maple Syrup BA Smoked Porter which was quite tasty and not as dessert stout-y as it would imply, but definitely a little more expensive than it should have been. I also found a fresh hop Rural Space grisette from Ruse that was a perfect easy drinker for a soccer match.

Lingenbrau, woemad, kemoarps and 4 others like this.
  32. John_M

John_M Moderator (6,200) Oct 25, 2003 Minnesota
    Premium

Probably TMI, but when Jeff Attinella muffed that easy ball in 68th minute (leading to the first goal of the game), beer came spurting out of my nose. That being said, you have to give the Timbers a lot of credit for overcoming that initial gaffe and prevailing on PK's in OT.

Just a great, competitive game, and you have to give a lot of credit to the Sounders for giving the Timbers all they could handle and then some.

33. beertunes

Trader

At Menace, having a Dunkel Side of the Moon. Pretty nice brew.

Lingenbrau, woemad, Raj and 2 others like this.
  34. vurt

Premium

As I mentioned to @beertunes last night, that match made my stomach hurt, even before Attinella's fumble and Ruidiaz' goal changed everything about the match. The Sounders were playing out of their skins last night, and the Timbers occasionally made things even harder for themselves. (Blanco's handball 4 damn minutes after Asprilla's goal comes to mind.)

So of course it went to penalties. OF COURSE IT DID.

A match for the ages. Tonight I will raise a few cans of Culmination's tasty Phaedrus IPA in the Timbers' honor.

Lingenbrau, woemad and beertunes like this.
  35. beertunes

Trader

Still at Menace, with a Cold Coast Pale.

Lingenbrau, woemad, Raj and 2 others like this.
  36. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,173) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Trader

Jubel Ale x6, one at a time, of course.
    One of my favourites, such good hop and malt balance .

37. beertunes

Trader

This place is a Menace to sobriety. Having a Fountain Ale, named for their neighborhood. It's a very Pilsner-ish ale.

38. vurt

Premium

As planned:

[​IMG]

Great stuff.

39. drone

drone Disciple (367) Jun 17, 2013 Washington
    Trader

[​IMG]

Great beer. I haven't had one aged yet, but I have a few from previous years lying in wait.

itracy63, Lingenbrau, rrock44 and 4 others like this.
  40. Raj

Raj Aspirant (269) Jun 25, 2014 Washington
    Trader

My brother in law is in town, so decided to open up a special nightcap