NW WBAYDN

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by beertunes, Jun 5, 2018.

1. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,434) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

Wut tha hell. If the regular WBAYDN thread can be a thing, why not Localish version? @John_M delete if needed.

To kick off this thread, I'm just knocking back a couple Cedar Dusts, whilst some new neighbors are doing a terrible guitar/singalong in the communal space. At least the cute hippie chicks are cute hippie chicks .

BuckeyeOne, shelby415, woemad and 4 others like this.
  2. kemoarps

kemoarps Meyvn (1,227) Apr 30, 2008 Washington
    Trader

Finally got around to sampling Machine House's Dark Mild. Don't know much about (well anything really, but in this case specifically) english milds, but it fits my imagination of what the style is supposed to be pretty much to a T. Really enjoying it while teaching myself a new game that felt apropos.

[​IMG]

Cheers!

woemad, jpbebeau, vurt and 1 other person like this.
  3. beertunes

Trader

Homes, get thyself down to their space. @TheBungyo and his wife took me there. Nice, understated place. Very British. Friendly folks, enjoyable brews, tasty brews. I think highly of the beer, the folks, and the place.

4. kemoarps

Trader

I fully intend to. Just don't get out as often as maybe I should (or is it the other way around), and get down south even less than that. But It will change, even if minor, for change is constant and unavoidable. Plus I've got some schemes and things...

woemad, vurt and beertunes like this.
  5. vurt

vurt Savant (950) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Premium

I split a can of Fort George 3-Way with Mrs. Vurt last night.

While I enjoyed it more than the draft pint I had last weekend, it still strikes me as maybe two-thirds of a great beer. The nose is terrific. The flavor starts great and has a good middle, but it has no finish. It just ends abruptly.

Maybe that makes it three-fourths of a great beer. I don't know.

woemad, ballardbeer, kemoarps and 2 others like this.
  6. beertunes

Trader

I was told there would be no maths.

7. beertunes

Trader

Just cracked open what I think (Not sure if I have any at Justin's) is my last bottle of the original version, still brewed by Tonya, with the OG label, of Bend Brewing Lovely. This bottle has to be a couple years old, at least. Holds up great! Damn fine brew, still a favorite.

8. rrock44

rrock44 Disciple (320) Oct 27, 2009 Washington

@beertunes or any other knowledgeable cedar duster out there.

Is there a way to decode the dating on a can of cedar dust? I ask because I almost grabbed a sixer, but felt it was old. On the bottom it was stamped 22/13/18. Just a mistake? I was at mid Columbia and ipas go there to die. So many beers (ipa) over a year old.

I did pick up bale breaker’s fresh off the farm (canned 5/11; enjoyed this last time I had it) and georgetown’s Citrus galaxy (canned 4/20; never had, any good?). I usually stick to the weekends (4 am comes too early), but curiosity may get the better of me tonight.

woemad and kemoarps like this.
  9. beertunes

Trader

May have been a misprint. 2/13/18 was a Saturday, but there was a random Saturday run a while back........

I just checked my cans, and found one 23/04/18, and Dust generally gets packaged every 2-1/2 - 3 weeks, so Feb 13 seems reasonable.

#9 beertunes, Jun 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    woemad likes this.
  10. rrock44

So worth picking up? Or too old?

11. sharpski

sharpski Champion (835) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Trader

Recently found 6 bottles languishing at Jackson’s Corner. Even got a deal to free up the cooler space. Lemme know if it was truly your last and you want another 1 or 2. Still have those Boysen the Wood variants for you too.

woemad, kemoarps, vurt and 1 other person like this.
  12. beertunes

Trader

I'm not a freshness freak, so, YMMV, it would still be enjoyable enough, but certainly past prime. If ya can get for a discount, it would still make an acceptable shower/lawnmower beer. If they're still asking full price, I'd suggest passing.

woemad, kemoarps and rrock44 like this.
  13. beertunes

Trader

Are the ones being brewed by the new folks maintaining the legacy?

14. beertunes

Trader

So, strictly for science y'all understand (and, to get a beer out of the fridge) I just popped a CD dated 23/04/18, so about a month and a half out. Still nicely enjoyable, if perhaps the hops aren't quite as bright. February would certainly be duller, but not terrible, IMHO.

woemad likes this.
  15. vurt

Premium

Tonight Mrs. Vurt and I are drinking Leota Mae IPA. It is most tasty.

woemad, 66jzmstr and beertunes like this.
  16. honkduh

honkduh Aspirant (215) Jun 2, 2011 Oregon

Leota Mae and Fresh off the farm are my favorite of what I've seen around Portland.

woemad, vurt and beertunes like this.
  17. kemoarps

Trader

Buddy of mine just swung by after work to drop off some string lights he couldn't make work in his new spot. Thought I could cut into my stash and gave him a couple of cans as a thank you. He asked what was in the bag. When I told him he laughed, because the bag he had in his other hand was full of crowlers he'd brought over leftover from work. So I figured I should crack into one of them, as it seemed appropriate.
    Shame Spiral (Cloudburst) has a lot of characteristics that are en vogue currently from body to that overripe fruit sweetness, but also balances with some nice lime bitterness. But now I've got *eyeballs it* like 20 oz still to drink after this glass finishes? Gonna be a long night fellas...

woemad, beertunes and Ozzylizard like this.
  18. beertunes

Trader

So, some of y'all might be familiar with Tickathon 2018, I mighta bought a sixer of OE800 a few nights ago. And, I might be mixing tha OE8s with some Cedar Dust. Maybe. Gotta kill them OE's somehow. :wink:

19. vurt

Premium

OE comes in sixpacks? How 'bout that.

You know what you should call the mix?

Endust.

:grin:

LiquidAmber, woemad, sharpski and 2 others like this.
  20. beertunes

Trader

woemad likes this.
  21. beertunes

Trader

For a buck less than a sixer of Montucky ColdSnacks. Weird world we reside in.

woemad and vurt like this.
  22. kemoarps

Trader

What a time to be alive

woemad, Naikoon, beertunes and 3 others like this.
  23. itracy63

itracy63 Disciple (389) Apr 20, 2013 Washington

Is drinking OE800 in any form other than a 40 sacrilege?

24. John_M

John_M Moderator (6,171) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Premium

Is that the only size it comes in now? For some reason I thought you could buy it in a larger format than that.

Of course a 40 ounce bottle fits so nicely in a brown bag when you're out strolling down the promenade on a Saturday night.

brandonwnw, woemad and beertunes like this.
  25. rrock44

Weekend is here. Drinking the Georgetown Citrus Galaxy. Very enjoyable. Granted my GT beers have been limited to their hoppy offerings - manny’s, Lucille, bodi, and now CG, but I feel Georgetown needs more love. Dare I say underrated?

woemad, kemoarps, 66jzmstr and 3 others like this.
  26. beertunes

Trader

I'm at Gruff with some coworkers, having a nice Loral Pale Ale. Had a couple interesting brews at Wander earlier.

woemad likes this.
  27. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,008) May 23, 2011 Washington

They’re on the highly recommended list for Seattle. Nah. They know they’re loved.

woemad, kemoarps, rrock44 and 2 others like this.
  28. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Crusader (797) Dec 1, 2004 Washington

I remember seeing it in 64 oz jugs. Wish I had one, would be great to take for growler fills. Imagine the looks!

kemoarps, woemad, Reidrover and 3 others like this.
  29. rrock44

Yes they are, but no one ever talks/posts about them. Wait a sec. it is better this way. No hype. Carry on. Nothing to see here.

woemad, beertunes, vurt and 1 other person like this.
  30. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,008) May 23, 2011 Washington

All we really do is offer suggestions, complain about hazy IPAs and talk about stuff unrelated to beer.

Carry on.

woemad, ballardbeer, kemoarps and 4 others like this.
  31. John_M

Premium

That's what I thought I recalled. The only reason it even registered, is that I remember at the time being horrified by the thought of consuming 64 ounces of OE.

woemad likes this.
  32. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (2,835) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon

That would be excellent. I used to use one of those Mississippi Mud 32 oz jugs as my small growler

33. vurt

Premium

I thought the 64-ounce jugs were for bottle shares.

woemad, sharpski and beertunes like this.
  34. John_M

Premium

Share OE800!?!??!??! I've never met anyone who was ever willing to share one drop of their precious OE. Perish the very thought!!!!

brandonwnw, woemad, mudbug and 2 others like this.
  35. rrock44

Poker night with the boys at 8. A couple growlers of white bluffs NOG to start things off. Maybe some OE to close :wink:

kemoarps, woemad and beertunes like this.
  36. beertunes

Trader

At a bottle share featuring Imperial Stouts. Brought one of my OE cans as a palate cleanser. So far we've had Oort , Rogue XS, Kulshan Shuksan, High Westified, Cavatica.

kemoarps, NWer, woemad and 1 other person like this.
  37. beertunes

Trader

Just in case anyone was wondering, I'm safely home. Sheesh, this was a wee bit tougher than I expected.

kemoarps, NWer, 66jzmstr and 2 others like this.
  38. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (2,827) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Trader

Just woke up with the early portion of today's hangover. Five or six beers at Iron Goat's anniversary party, a couple more at Orlison's because they are shutting down on Thursday so all beers are $2.50.

kemoarps likes this.
  39. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Devotee (453) Jul 17, 2005 Washington
    Premium

Whoa. Can you elaborate on Orlison shutting down Just the taproom? Or, the whole operation permanently?

40. beertunes

Trader

Yeah, ya can't just drop that little note and walk-off. Anything to do with that water issue from a while ago?