NYC Shops, Events, Interesting Finds, and General Visiting FAQ (2020)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by frozyn, Jan 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,010) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

What other well known / well renowned places have permanently closed so far? I heard about the Well and read about Alewife.

zid likes this.
  2. fdonnelly

fdonnelly Aspirant (277) Dec 14, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

I was talking to friends about this and wonder why they sold out all their cans and draft beer and never tried to do some type of long term to-go type business. Also with the huge back outdoor space they could have then shifted to that more recently. Wonder if its just the massive rent for their huge space really weighing on them without a constant normal flow of business. Either way, very sad and I will really miss going here

algebeeric_topology likes this.
  3. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,947) Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

What is the current status of breweries/taprooms/etc. in NYC (due to COVID-19)?

My wife and I will be moving to Brooklyn in about a month to be closer to family and work.

In my area everything is wide open due to nearly zero cases in my county/region since the start of the pandemic. I assume it will be much different in NY.

Edit:
    Found his thread!
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/commun...-craft-beer-and-breweries-in-brooklyn.644752/

4. shkin

shkin Initiate (110) Feb 6, 2011 New York

Does anyone know why WF on 3rd and 3rd in Gowanus no longer offers beer delivery via Amazon Prime? I talked to the customer service of both WF and Amazon, and finally got the most bizarre response which makes zero sense: I would like to inform that due to import restrictions, Alcoholic items are temporarily not available at some location due to it.

5. bring

bring Initiate (87) Aug 17, 2005 Massachusetts
    Trader

Would like to understand this, too. Ordered groceries and beer last weekend without issue. Re-upped groceries yesterday and no beer to be had. Thought maybe they just didn’t want to deal with it over the holiday weekend. Oddly, all fresh fish was off the table, too. Don’t have a clue why import restrictions would affect domestic beer (or fish); that can’t be the real reason.

6. shkin

I wonder if it has anything to do with this: https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...line-groceries-orders-coronavirus/5677610002/

bring likes this.
  7. shkin

To answer my own question, the online-only WF is in Sunset Park, and Gowanus one is no longer offered as an option for pickup either according to the prime now website, so I'm convinced that's the reason for not offering certain products for delivery. Between this and the fact that TapRm raised their prices 20-40%, it's time to give up online beer shopping sans Threes and OH.

8. rolltide8425

rolltide8425 Meyvn (1,267) Feb 18, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Alewife’s bar is closed but Patrick is building a production brewery and taproom in Sunnyside that is supposed to open this fall.

ecpho, rozzom and Sheppard like this.
  9. algebeeric_topology

algebeeric_topology Zealot (510) Dec 30, 2014 New York
    Trader

NYC has been getting a bunch of of Drie Fonteinen stuff if lambic is your thing. Classic Gueuze, Kriek, Armand and Gaston, and Hommage. There's so much of these, it makes me wonder if there's some Framboos lurking around...

Hommage has been one of my bucket list beers for a while and I'm glad to finally to try it.

10. algebeeric_topology

algebeeric_topology Zealot (510) Dec 30, 2014 New York
    Trader

Also shout out to Bierwax for having it and for the outstanding pbj sandwich that was included!

Related, that area might be the most dense with great beer bars between Hops Hill, Beer Karma South, Bierwax, Goldstar and Covenhoven all in a close area. Plus Bitters and Esters is there if you're into homebrewing; they've always got a good sample on!

11. jhavs

Society Trader

Just heard a notice that restaurants in NYC can start with indoor seating at 25% on 9/30.

12. Tallerboy

Tallerboy Initiate (142) Jun 17, 2017 New York
    Trader

For sale in the Threes store, one bottle of Hommage is enough to trigger free delivery.

13. guinness77

guinness77 Poo-Bah (1,793) Jan 6, 2014 New York
    Society

Hopefully this is true. These businesses can’t hold on much longer the way things are now.

14. mumbles44

mumbles44 Aspirant (237) Jan 22, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

homeage going $50-$55 in NJ

15. jhavs

Society Trader

Seems like the norm. Here (VT) I currently see bottles of Hommage 2018 for $49 and 2018 with Organic Raspberries for $51.
    2017 Golden Blend is $48 and A&G is $29.

16. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Meyvn (1,148) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

[​IMG]

17. guinness77

Society

Looks like Sarene is bringing Hubbard’s Cave to the NY metro area. That’s pretty exciting imo.

hops_for_thought likes this.
  18. hops_for_thought

hops_for_thought Devotee (496) Jun 14, 2013 New York
    Trader

Agreed - don't think I've had anything under the Hubbard's Cave label but the handful of cans/bottles I've had from Une Annee were great

guinness77 likes this.
  19. Justonemore91

Justonemore91 Zealot (505) Nov 24, 2018 New York
    Society Trader

I love it and I don't. I feel there's way more beer in New York that is not actually being consumed. Now more then ever its important to support your local breweries. How can we do this if we keep getting beer from other cities?

20. guinness77

Society

@Prager62 gifted me a bomber of Fresh like 4 years ago and it was delicious. I see some people posting it in WBAYDN and it looks as good as ever. I’ll pick it up if I see it.
    Out of all the beer I have in my house, 90% of it is probably considered “local” so I don’t think buying a 4-pack or 2 from an “outside” brewery is gonna put anyone out of business.

frozyn and Prager62 like this.
  21. hops_for_thought

Trader

Covenhoven tapping Mornin' Delight this Saturday at noon - rushing from JFK to Gold Star on Christmas to grab a glass with @SpinSamzo was a highlight of last year

rozzom and SpinSamzo like this.
  22. SpinSamzo

SpinSamzo Aspirant (297) Mar 11, 2017 New York
    Trader

That was a great time, I can't believe it lasted as long as it did, it was such an amazing stout.

algebeeric_topology and rozzom like this.
  23. rozzom

Trader

How did you hear about it last time? Did some absolute legend tell you about it?

24. SpinSamzo

SpinSamzo Aspirant (297) Mar 11, 2017 New York
    Trader

No some absolute wanker named Rozzom.

25. rozzom

Trader

Exemplary use of the word wanker. A+.

26. FL0

FL0 Initiate (16) Jun 24, 2020 New York

I grant I'm less active than I used to be, but was I really so invisible that day? Or that easily forgotten?:slight_frown:

In any case, fortuitously sitting down on Christmas Day for a couple pours with you and Noam Chomsky over there was a really nice highlight of my beer year, too. Second only, perhaps, to @rozzom's (R.I.P.) slathering his filthy fingers with "lactose" and wiping it all over his gums at OH one month prior.

Those carefree days of hijinks and spontaneous connection in public spaces cannot return soon enough...

27. hops_for_thought

Trader

Ha, my sincere apologies! Shout-out to a fellow former Seattleite, who appreciated my Reuben’s sweater and clearly has good taste

28. rozzom

Trader

Mikkeler NYC closing down and being consolidated with San Diego location (and his brother throwing shade at him on Instagram)

canchon, Xerlic, guinness77 and 2 others like this.
  29. guinness77

Society

I hadn’t seen your post and started a thread. Sorry.

rozzom likes this.
  30. rozzom

Trader

I don't think I'm in a place to forgive you quite yet - lots still to process - but I appreciate the note

31. guinness77

Society

It’s times like these when I’m reminded of an old axiom of the church, “Forgive them Father, for they do not know they had lactose.”

32. Justonemore91

Society Trader

Bunch of j Wakefield cans hitting nyc this week. Some great collabs with equilibrium as well
    From downtown, haterade, ludicrous speed, stush, & the crib

33. Justonemore91

Society Trader

Founders kbs espresso and maniac fudge landed in ny this week

hops_for_thought likes this.
  34. Justonemore91

Society Trader

Another Hop Butcher drop in NYC. Megabite and Loophole Technicality. Both incredible neipas cheers

jhavs likes this.
  35. FonyBones

FonyBones Initiate (29) Dec 19, 2015 New York

For all the barleywine lovers out there, B. United has 4 vintages of J.W. Lees Harvest Ale available for shipping to New York.

36. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Disciple (360) Jun 25, 2016 New York

Picked up a vintage at Beer Witch in Park Slope. I recommend checking them out if anyones ever near Barclays, they just opened recently.

prettygood and hops_for_thought like this.
  37. hops_for_thought

Trader

Ah nice - I walked past on Saturday hadn't noticed the store before, will check it out this weekend

38. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Initiate (16) Nov 11, 2020 New York

Stopped by there over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised with their selection. Very well edited, but not quite as many choices as St. Gambrinus or Covenhoven.

Staff were super pleasant and I left with a mixed four pack.

NewmansOwn and hops_for_thought like this.
  39. TmaveTebow

TmaveTebow Initiate (57) Sep 3, 2013 Virginia

Will be moving to flushing and working in Williamsburg. Have a plethora of options around Williamsburg with the new other half notably in walking distance from my workplace. Also have threes in greenpoint and grimm not too far off the beaten path that I could make a quick detour and snag on the way home.

Looking for a legit beer store though. It seems the flushing/bayside area of queens doesn’t really have a highly curated beer store. I’ve been to beverage depot in flushing that has a surprisingly decent selection of craft, but lots of warm IPAs. They are not exactly cicerones the when it comes to care for the beers there. The B&B beverage off of bell Blvd by the LIRR station has a decent selection but lots of old and warm stuff. They also don’t seem to have a high level of care for their beers. Any suggestions around flushing/bayside/Little neck area?

It seems like my best bet will be to hit beer karma on the way home from work. They seem expertly curated with a high level of care. Does anyone know if they sell singles and what their markup looks like? Anything special they get in besides the amazing local stuff? Hill farmstead? Alchemist? Tired hands? Suarez?

thanks y’all

40. Justonemore91

Society Trader

Yeah beer karma has a great selection and they sometimes get cans from alchemist. The others you mentioned you will likely find on draft but no cans to go. The fact that they have a on premise license gets them access to breweries like alchemist. Beer botique also has a great selection and they are a couple blocks away from beer karma. Both sell singles around a 50% markup from cost

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.