NYC Shops Thread

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by brandnewcardock, Feb 13, 2019.

1. brandnewcardock

brandnewcardock Initiate (80) Aug 23, 2017 New York
    Trader

Feel like I've seen people talking about wanting a thread to discuss distributed beer or "shelfies" in NYC, so here we are. Find anything good recently?

Brian_Lynch and rozzom like this.
  2. rozzom

rozzom Champion (838) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Good call. Also would be cool to have a concise list of the current best shops to go to. I know we had that NYC bars, breweries etc thread a while ago. And while it was cool, it was also monstrously long with a lot of b and c list places.

Brian_Lynch likes this.
  3. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Savant (968) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

4. frozyn

frozyn Defender (631) May 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

How does this work as a start?

Breweries: Other Half, Grimm, Threes, Interboro, KCBC, LIC Beer Project, Fifth Hammer, Folksbier, Transmitter, Singlecut, Iconyc, Keg & Lantern, Greenpoint Beer & Ale, Brooklyn Brewery, Five Boroughs, Wartega, Island to Island, Evil Twin, Bridge & Tunnel, Circa, Torch & Crown, Stronge Rope, Sixpoint, Big Alice, Alewife

Bars/Shops: One Mile House, Blind Tiger, Rattle n Hum, Fool's Gold, Sputyen Duyvil, Good Beer, Proletariat, Augurs Well, Mission Dolores, Haymaker, Torst, Mugs Ale House, Brouwerij Lane, Covenhoven, Gold Star Beer Counter, Owl Farm, Glorietta Baldy, Cardiff Giant, Bar Great Harry, St. Gambrinus, The Well, Fraunces Tavern (cuz it's 300 god damn years old this year), any Clinton Hall, Top Hops, Milk & Hops, Beer Culture, District Tap House, Ginger Man, As Is, City Hops, The Jeffrey, Alewife, Bondurants, City Swiggers, Dive Bar, Bierwax, any Barcade, Beer Karma, Bierocracy,

uptown_thunder and rozzom like this.
  5. brandnewcardock

Trader

I was thinking this thread would be for beer you purchase to take home but not from breweries, and separate thread would make sense for bars + bar events, but whatever works. Distinctions and rules can be a bit confusing, but I feel like with ever changing tap-lists and events, a bar + bar event thread on its own makes sense.

JayORear likes this.
  6. dhaakon

dhaakon Devotee (441) May 30, 2005 New York
    Society

Recently had a slo turbo from hoof hearted. I guess they are contract brewing out of South Bay. It was really really good.

7. rozzom

rozzom Champion (838) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Yeah I agree - I was meaning exactly that. That with kangers mammoth list of everything beer, the top tier shops got lost in shuffle

@frozyn yeah something like that but just shops I reckon

8. frozyn

Society Trader

Right on, will look at tweaking tomorrow. OH Saturday morning line shares count, right?

Xerlic and rozzom like this.
  9. brandnewcardock

Trader

Just saw these in Whole Foods. Anyone have any experience with the 12oz cans vs the 16oz? It was much cheaper than the 4-packs ($12 vs $16), which was surprising because it's more beer. I wonder if they're contract brewing?

Also no dates on the box, which kind of sucks.

10. Kanger

Kanger Zealot (521) Sep 3, 2013 New York

Sip of Sunshine at Penn Station.

JayORear and mumbles44 like this.
  11. zid

zid Meyvn (1,346) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Cans or keg? Where?

12. frozyn

Society Trader

Here's a list of to-go shops -- what should be added to the list? What can we cross out? At that point, we can probably start ranking them.

Good Beer, Haymaker, Brouwerij Lane, Covenhoven, Gold Star Beer Counter, St. Gambrinus, Top Hops, Milk & Hops, City Swiggers, Beer Karma, Bierocracy, Carmine Street Beers, most Whole Foods, Beer Boutique, Beer Fridge, The Shop at Threes, Beer Shop NYC, City Hops

13. Berndondervin

Berndondervin Initiate (66) Apr 5, 2015 New Jersey

Malt & Mold?

14. Tallerboy

Tallerboy Initiate (96) Jun 17, 2017 New York

A buddy of mine got a six pack from the brewery over MLK weekend for $12 even, damn good for $2 bucks a can. What Whole Foods did you see this?

He also said he saw million empty 12oz cans at the brewery, so I'm guessing they're canning themselves.

15. brandnewcardock

Trader

Tribeca. Also it was $13, not $12.

Kind of related, but I've even seen Juice Bomb in Trader Joe's in Manhattan. They must really be expanding production. I assume they'll switch all the 16oz 4-packs to these 6-packs.

16. tynian16

tynian16 Disciple (370) Oct 23, 2015 New York
    Society

Sloop stuff is starting to be all over NJ as well.

17. M-Fox24

Trader

Regular Coffee is making an appearance in some NY shops, if anyone is hunting

prettygood and NewmansOwn like this.
  18. Tallerboy

Tallerboy Initiate (96) Jun 17, 2017 New York

$1+tax mark up from the brewery isn't bad at all.

TJ's let's their stuff sit at ro temperature, literally not cool.

19. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Zealot (547) Aug 18, 2012 New York

I am. I was able to get the irregulars but couldnt make it down for the regular cofffee drop.

Where did you see it? I’ll be in the city this weekend. Anything closer to Greenwich Village works but I walk a lot and can make it to other locations if need be. Maybe milk and hops on 9th?

20. M-Fox24

Trader

Threes has it, as does Milk and Hops UES: perhaps 9th Avenue has/will get

21. BoardwalkBock

Cool - I’ll call them tomorrow. Love the vibe at Milk and Hops. Theres a good ramen joint across the street so the walk is double worth it.

22. Xerlic

Xerlic Initiate (154) Aug 26, 2016 New York
    Trader

Sloop used to operate out of this tiny farm in Elizaville. Last year they bought a huge space in Fishkill that used to be an IBM building. Production ramped up a lot, so that's why we're seeing Sloop everywhere. I hate to be one of "those guys" but I think juice bomb from the old spot tasted better than post-fishkill, but for $12 for 72oz you can't really complain.

RobNewton and uptown_thunder like this.
  23. Vizualize

Vizualize Initiate (120) Jun 13, 2014 New York

Sip of Sunshine has been at Penn for months now. The deli by Chickpea on the Amtrak side has craft beer .They set up a couple carts after 2pm. They have Sips, Singlecut, Industrial Arts, and other random releases .The best deal I've found around Penn is the bar at Pennsy. They have $8.50 pints of LICBP Coded Tiles.

jmerizio, Kanger and zid like this.
  24. Kanger

Kanger Zealot (521) Sep 3, 2013 New York

Yeah I usually get a sandwich at Don Pepe and they have a bunch of craft beer in their fridge. It's nice to have some Lawsons while on the NJT.

Vizualize likes this.
  25. brandnewcardock

Trader

How much though? My go-to in Penn is the $2.50 Two Hearted Ale from K-Mart. Love classing it up on the LIRR.

zid likes this.
  26. Vizualize

Vizualize Initiate (120) Jun 13, 2014 New York

$2.50 KMart beers! Awesome! The Sips are $7.

27. zid

zid Meyvn (1,346) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

On the topic of beer and Penn Station - I have never done this personally, but I would think that Urban Barley is a nice option for someone who wants to drink local IPA on the train. They're one avenue block away from Penn, and you can ordinarily buy singles of Greenpoint, Interboro, Singlecut, etc.

Brewzer1010 likes this.
  28. Brewzer1010

Brewzer1010 Initiate (91) Feb 17, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

I do this multiple times a week as I work on 31s/5th and walk by UB on the way to Penn. Their pricing is not wonderful but $6.19 for a can of Wrench is not necessarily a bad deal to me.

29. jmerizio

jmerizio Initiate (108) Apr 17, 2008 New Jersey
    Trader

Urban Barley or Haymaker when I have more time are my usual go-tos....if really short on time will stop at the place inside penn near the GNC/United place on the Amtrak side

rozzom likes this.
  30. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Zealot (579) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

Clinton Gourmet Market, while not a dedicated bottle shop, has a remarkable selection of craft beers for a deli/grocery store. Actually had bottles of 3F Oude Gueuze last week, which naturally sold out same day (before I could get over there :slight_frown:).

midegrou, tobelerone and TongoRad like this.
  31. M-Fox24

Trader

Some Brouwerij West cans popping up

32. Carmine_Street_Beers

Carmine_Street_Beers Initiate (54) Aug 19, 2013 New York

Hey! Thanks for mentioning us among such excellent company! We've been thinking about finally using our BA account for a little while now as an additional way to reach out to people who have industry level questions about anything NYC beer related, so if anyone needs it, just tag us and ask for Shane. Cheers!

33. Brian_Lynch

Brian_Lynch Initiate (120) Nov 18, 2014 New York

Welcome! I just met you yesterday...I'm the guy who bought an inordinate ratio of lagers to IPAs.

Carmine_Street_Beers likes this.
  34. M-Fox24

Trader

Rare Barrel is showing up on shelves

tobelerone likes this.
  35. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,690) Dec 1, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Yeah...we went to the fishkill spot recently and between my wife and I sampled at least 8 different beers. Was planning on buying a bunch of cans and or croakers and left with nothing, the quality simply didn’t justify a purchase. Pretty disappointing. All the hoppy beers tasted very similar and thoroughly middle of the road.

Xerlic likes this.
  36. Xerlic

Xerlic Initiate (154) Aug 26, 2016 New York
    Trader

Your experience is pretty much EXACTLY the same as mine when I visited them over the fall. My family and I went there for lunch before taking my son to Fishkill farms. The spot is great to hang out and the food is good enough, but none of the beers really stood out to me. I ended up not buying any take away beer as well.

tobelerone likes this.
  37. midegrou

midegrou Initiate (60) Dec 14, 2013 New York
    Trader

I saw some Trillium cans on the shelves at a place earlier this evening. Is that supposed to be a thing? I'm withholding location bc I don't want to give them free advertising in case they're being sketchy.

38. uptown_thunder

uptown_thunder Initiate (128) Jun 22, 2018 New York
    Society

This is not a thing as far as I know. Likely sketchy.

39. tinoynk

tinoynk Initiate (90) Sep 25, 2010 New York
    Trader

What are they charging? Like $12/can? I'm also pretty surprised to hear, at least all the bottle shops I've been to in Manhattan have never had anything they weren't supposed to.

40. BoardwalkBock

Definitely sketchy.

I know Trillium used to distribute bottles to local stores in the Boston area before they opened up the Canton location, but I’m not sure they ever distributed cans once they opened the new location. They definitely dont distribute outside of MA.