Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

NYC/staten island visit

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Terrapin8, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Terrapin8

Beer Trader

Headed to New York Friday-Saturday will be in the Brooklyn/Manhattan/Staten Island area. I've done research on which bars to check out, luckily it's NYC craft beer week! But need to find a good shop for buying take back to ga brew. Would like to pick up Sixpoint resin, 3beans and other things we can't get in ga. Any shops to check out and brews to try please let me know!

2. BKBassist

Sixpoint should be available pretty much anywhere, even at bodegas. For good bottle shops check Top Hops/Good Beer and Whole Foods Bowery in Manhattan, and Bruekelen Bier Merchants, Beer Boutique, Beer Street and Bierkraft in Brooklyn.

3. CTJman

Beer Trader

Check out Pony Bar and Rattle N Hum in NYC. The Wholefoods bk speaks of is a great choice.

4. lionssoccer13

Beer Trader

Was just there last week with same questions. From FL originally. Whole Foods in Manhattan had a lot of good GI. Beer Table Pantry in Grand Central Station. Rattle N Hum had the best bottle selection. Scored some BCS and varietals of that from there. 3Beans is nice too and readily available. Bierkraft was very disappointing. The Ginger Man and Pony Bar had the best tap selection while I was there. Gramercy Tavern was good too. Hope this helps. I'm sure NYC beer week will help your chances.

5. Terrapin8

Beer Trader

Thanks a lot guys! My first trip to NYC and as a Georgia boy I'm afraid it'll be a little overwhelming!

6. Terrapin8

Beer Trader

Definitely looking for BCS varieties, and any other beers not available here, already planned on hitting grand central to go to beer table. Can you buy growlers/bottles to go at bars, that was new to me when I made a trip to Fl, not allowed in ga.

7. BeerWorld

Beer Trader

As far as bottle shops go I'd recommend hitting Top Hops, New Beer, Whole Foods Bowery, and Good Beer which you can easily do in one go if you have an hour or so. You should be able to find what you're looking for among these four. And this being NYC beer week we have a number of splendid beer events throughout the city and Brooklyn/Queens. Just pick what you want to attend.

Rumor has it Whole Foods Bowery will have GI Cherry for growler fills on Sunday. Other places tapped bcs and bcbcs.

8. Terrapin8

Beer Trader

Once again thanks guys! I hope to run into you along the way, if you get news of events and days/times I'll try to be there and buy you a brew

9. CTJman

Beer Trader

Your GA accent may give it away. So just enjoy yourself :). Pick up some Troegs Nugget Nectar if you can't in GA. Love that stuff

10. Terrapin8

Beer Trader

Will do, I've wanted to try that and we don't get that here. I'm sure my accent will be amusing, going with the girlfriend who is from New York so hopefully won't be too lost.

11. Terrapin8

Beer Trader

We were planning on the Brooklyn brewery tour, any other suggestions for tours is appreciated. Of any of you guys ever need a Georgia trade bmail me!

12. BKBassist

It's a bit out of the way, but if you find yourself in Queens, the Singlecut taproom is a fun brewery experience. It'd be fun to do Brooklyn and it in a short time span, see the present and future of NYC breweries!

13. MisterBisco

Beer Trader

Here's a good place to look for things you can't get in GA: http://www.seekabrew.com/distro/index.html. The brewery that stands out the most to me is Alesmith - they have pretty broad distribution at better bottle shops, and finding Speedway Stout is pretty easy.

One brewery not on that list is Maine Brewing Company. Their bottles can be easy to miss (they really look like a lazy homebrewer's labels), but their beer is consistently delicious.

By the way, if you stocked up with some Terrapin and wanted to offload it when you got here, there might be some (ahem) who wouldn't mind... especially if that supply included some Wake 'n Bake! (Atlanta-raised Brooklynite here)

14. gregkoko

Beer Trader

Stay far far away from Beer Table Pantry in Grand Central. Crazy high prices

shutyourface and Crookdrain like this.
  15. ghostly

I'll second gregkoko here - the Grand Central place has a big markup compared to elsewhere.

16. Mr_Brodie

Beer Trader

Whole Foods in the bowery has a rare keg a day. All WF are doing this. If you are in that area One Mile House has some ridiculous taps all week, enjoy by is tonight. Top Hops and Goodbeer are both walking distance for Bottles and Taps/growlers. In the center of it all is New Beer Distributors on Chrystie st. This place will have the brest bottle prices hands down. It is a bizarre place, huge with a crazy inventory of hard to find stuff. A lot has aged for years in this warehouse. It is like a giant beer cellar. Check dates on IPAs. If you want aged sours you will be in heaven. Move bottles around and you might find a hidden gem.
    Fyi.. I have made the botte shop rounds recently and city swiggers on 86th has the best lineup. They just had a Brooklyn night and jave 2009 chocolate on tap

17. Mr_Brodie

Beer Trader

Blind Tiger is the best beer bar in NYC. Barrys in Brooklyn has Heady Topper and Hill Farmstead Edward on tap.
    Enjoy the spots.

Crookdrain likes this.
  18. shutyourface

Pm if you need to know anything about Staten Island

19. Skrip

Beer Trader

holiday beverage on SI

20. otispdriftwood

Beer Trader

It shouldn't be any more overwhelming than it was for us [translation: me] suburban NYCers on their first trip to Georgia. Just keep the y'alls in check and you should be fine. lol.

21. Crookdrain

Beer Trader

Top Hops had Hill Farmstead Edward on tap for free last weekend...

22. drinker36

Beer Trader

Check out Cannibal if you're looking to sit down and drink... they have a huge beer list (and as of last weekend have the sixpoint beers you listed and the Maine beers that were recommended by MisterBisco. I haven't eaten there but the food looked good. They're also very friendly and know their beer. I'd also echo the BA's that said whole foods is a good bottle shop stop.

Finally if you haven't had Alchemist Heady Topper, stop into Gramercy Tavern for a can (it's still showing up on their menu as of this post and I had it there earlier this week.

23. Terrapin8

Beer Trader

Went to McSorleys tonight, one word, awesome. Tomorrow trying to checkout all your recommendations. Sunday Brooklyn brewery and Barcade. Thank you guys for all the help. That's the best thing about being a BA, and this community, no matter where in the world you go, there are great people to meet and share great beer with!

24. Terrapin8

Beer Trader

Here for two more days, so far amazing, so much craziness on tap and take home Cantillon, ale smith, Firestone, bear republic, sixpoint, nugget nectar, sculpin, etc... One thing missing is bourbon county, thought it'd be easiest with the takeover, Any tips on finding Any variety?

25. BKBassist

Top Hops is run by an old AB distro guy, he usually has plenty of GI including BC.
    PS, where'd you snag Cantillon?

26. Terrapin8

Beer Trader

Snag Cantillon to go at mugs ale house around the corner from Brooklyn brewery, 20 bucks a bottle is literally cheap compared to no bottles ever.

27. Terrapin8

Beer Trader

Whole foods was definitely the best place to find everything, and when I got home realized they didn't ring up my sculpin because she was too busy checking my id

28. Terrapin8

Beer Trader

Last thing I want on tap is fu sandy, if there's any left?

29. Terrapin8

Beer Trader

And misterbisco didn't check bags, mailing every thing home, but bmail me, I will send you wake n bake and whatever else you want from ga

30. Terrapin8

Beer Trader

And also if any of you guys ever make it to ga please give me a shout, I'll give you a grand tour and free guest bedroom if you bring whales lol

31. Terrapin8

Beer Trader

Joking about the whales, southern hospitality rules you can crash here anytime and bring your Coors.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe