Oak Aged IPAs?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Domingo, Aug 4, 2022.

1. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,791) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

The favorite IPA thread got me thinking a little. With Great Divide killing off Rumble and Napa Smith scaling back, is White Oak Jai Alai the only oak aged IPA with any level of distribution? I'm looking for packaged IPAs (or pale ales, hoppy red ales, or anything in that ballpark) that have been aged with oak spirals or chips.

(Note: Not looking for anything that has been in spirits or wine barrels - that's a different animal)

2. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (737) Mar 28, 2009 California

Miss rumble. I remember the first time I had white oak jai alai. At first I wasn’t a fun but it grew on me and began to love it. Sadly I never see it in my area.

unfortunately, I don’t know any and can’t be of any help. Hopefully someone has some suggestions that are available in my area as well.

BigIronH likes this.
  3. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Initiate (157) Feb 25, 2013 California

very little distro but my buddy's brewery in Napa CA called Mad Fritz ferments a lot of his ales in oak barrels. They have a wonderful, refined palate, and he malts his own grain too.

4. beardown2489

beardown2489 Devotee (487) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

Afterthought does a lot of oak fermented hoppy saison. It’s probably not exactly what you’re looking for, but it might scratch an itch or get you into something new. I know Casey does some similar stuff as well. Or maybe Oxbow BA farmhouse pale ale

5. Domingo

Society

I've definitely had good saison, mixed-culture, etc. beers that have been fermented or aged in oak barrels. To me, they're a different animal, too. Very "green" and rustic a la something from a former wine barrel. I'm hoping somebody somewhere knows of a normal 'ol clean beer aged on chips/spirals. Something hoppy is a really nice bonus, but not totally required. I mainly just miss that slight vanilla toasty character that Rumble had. White Oak only shows up once every few years (if at all) out this way, so I'm hoping there's another option beyond the occasional one-off I see from the smaller places around town.

bret717 and SFACRKnight like this.
  6. OfficerVZdiver

OfficerVZdiver Initiate (57) Jan 1, 2022

Cigar City White Oak Jai Alai is one of my favorite beers. The only place I know that sales it is the actually Cigar City brewery. Luckily at a lot of stores they sell the Jai Alia mixed pack which has 3 White Oaks. I haven’t found any beer like it.

7. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,064) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Bells, founders, and 3 floyds all have had one, I can't speak to current availability as the style is something that clashes on my palate.

BigIronH likes this.
  8. spicoli00

spicoli00 Defender (640) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana

Three Floyds website says that Blackheart is not currently in production. Usually came out around May.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  9. teromous

teromous Poo-Bah (3,417) Mar 21, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Southern Tier used to have Oak Aged Unearthly, but like many of the Oak Aged IPAs I haven't seen it in a long time. White Oak Jai Alai is probably my favorite, and Cigar City also did Jai Alai on Spanish Cedar.

If you have any local breweries that normally use foeders for things like lagers, it might be a good idea to keep an eye on them in the off chance they decide to put an IPA in one.

hopsputin likes this.
  10. moodenba

moodenba Zealot (586) Feb 2, 2015 New York

I'm not a follower of US oak-aging. But I have read Gary's blog BeerEtSeq which has discussed in detail the history of oak aging. British brewers preferentially used Memel oak from northern Europe up until WWI cut supplies. American oak was thought to impart unpleasant flavors. American oak might have been used untreated for Stouts and similar, but pale ales were typically stored in pitched American oak. So essentially, if IPAs are stored in untreated American Oak, this could be thought of as a new (not necessarily bad, but different) kind of beer. Do craft brewers discuss the type of wood and how the interior is treated for their beers aged in wood?

crazyspicychef likes this.
  11. retention_

retention_ Initiate (12) Jan 8, 2022 North Carolina

I remember this beer. I think I last saw it about 8 or 9 years ago. I liked it a lot but I wasn't very experienced with craft beer at the time. They did a run of the non-aged version of Unearthly in the past couple of years. It struck me as "just another IPA" so maybe it's not as good as I remember. I'd love to give it another shot though.

Locally, Haw River used to do one called Cotton Pickin'. It was actually listed as a farmhouse IPA but was aged in an oak foeder for 6 months. It's not quite the same as the other beers mentioned here but close enough. Sadly that one has also been MIA for many years now.

12. Steve_Studnuts

Steve_Studnuts Crusader (701) Apr 21, 2015 Pennsylvania

Doesn't Dogfish have one? Burton Baton or something to that effect?

Rug, hopsputin, Domingo and 2 others like this.
  13. retention_

retention_ Initiate (12) Jan 8, 2022 North Carolina

I forgot all about Burton Baton. It is still listed on the DFH website but as a "rarity". I have not seen that one in years.

ericwo and DrStiffington like this.
  14. Giantspace

Giantspace Savant (967) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Cedar Jai alai is very good too, it’s quite a strong flavor but I really enjoyed it. The Oak I have only seen in the mix pack, it’s really good. Local there is a stout aged on oak spirals. I had a few at 5-6 years and they were creamy vanilla and coconut. Quite good and pretty inexpensive, Shackamaxamum, not sure it’s still around or not. I also just had a Foeder Mild from Forest and Main that had a nice woody finish to it.

Burton Baton is a stellar beer. Not seen it in a bit, not looking either. With age I love Burton. Still have a few from 2012 along with 90 minute.

15. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Poo-Bah (1,805) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

This is what I came to post. I used to really enjoy that one.

hopsputin likes this.
  16. BigIronH

BigIronH Poo-Bah (1,533) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

What are those beers? I’m either having major memory loss or I may not have had opportunity to try these yet. Cheers.

17. Domingo

Society

I totally forgot about BB! Dogfish pulled out of this market maybe 7-8 years ago. When they eventually came back, it feels like their cooler placements have been sub-par. Some stores (like my usual one) even just shove 'em onto a warm shelf instead. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled now as BB is/was terrific!

18. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,064) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Bells had one in their planet series, Mars iirc. Founders had one too but the name slips my mind. It's been a while since I had either and they're probably long gone. I never liked aged ipas so they didn't leave a mark I guess.

BigIronH likes this.
  19. nomisugitai

nomisugitai Devotee (433) Mar 11, 2006 New Jersey
    Society

I miss Ballantine and even the short lived revival of it.

20. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (7,201) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

My wife and I are in Napa this weekend, and I was hoping to stop by and check their beers out. Unfortunately, it looks like the downtown St. Helena taproom is now closed. There are a few restaurants that appear to carry a limited variety of bottles, and even a few places that have one or two beers on tap, but just as you stated, distribution seems to be very, very limited.

21. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,562) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Shouldn't you be drinkin'

[​IMG]

22. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

LOL! We've been doing plenty of that this weekend. After a while, it's nice to take a break and change things up a bit. So the Trumer Pils I had last night was most welcome and quite enjoyable.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  23. readyski

readyski Defender (601) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Society Trader

I know it's not an IPA but perhaps Oaked Arrogant bastard will satisfy your hoppy oak cravings.

Resistance88 and Domingo like this.
  24. Giantspace

Giantspace Savant (967) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I gave never seen that beer, had the BA version and it was ok but not better than the OG. I will take a look for an oaked version. Thanks

Edit……I did have this in 2015 and though the base was better. Still going to seek this out.

Enjoy

Resistance88 and readyski like this.
  25. VitisVinifera

You gotta go to the brewery, and set up an appt. If you talk to Nile, say I (Steve from Drava Wines in Lodi) recommended him to you.

26. Domingo

Society

Yeah, I actually like Oaked Bastard. I haven't seen it in years, though. Is it still being made?

27. readyski

readyski Defender (601) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Society Trader

It is still in the database, but I also haven't seen it in a while. Not that I have been looking for it, but did drink my share. TBH even the OG Arrogant bastard flies under my radar these days :slight_frown:

28. Resistance88

Resistance88 Devotee (452) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

"Brewed with 100% Maris Otter malt and a huge amount of East Kent Goldings hops (160 calculated IBUs). Fermented with a Burton yeast then aged in oak barrels with Brettanomyces for a year. Dry hopped with more EKG then bottle conditioned. "
    This beer is wonderful! Puts a lot of beers on the west coast ( all these sorry cookie cutter breweries) to shame.
    [​IMG]

29. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Thanks! Unfortunately, I saw this too late. The website does mention advance brewery appointments are possible, but I only saw that at the last minute. Too late to visit the brewery.

I tried visiting a couple of the places listed on the website, that carry their beer, but they were either closed or didn't currently have anything in stock. Will have to try again next visit, when I'm hopefully better prepared and organized.

Resistance88 likes this.
  30. VitisVinifera

ah that's too bad. I can set it up for you too. It's really worth the appt if you can nail it down. I'm probably overdue for a hangout with my college homie too.

31. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (10,197) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

Mike from Zebulon makes some amazing beers!

carolinabeerguy likes this.