Observation on old Racer 5 and old Sculpin

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by GRG1313, Mar 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GRG1313

GRG1313 Poo-Bah (3,383) Jan 15, 2009 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Sorry to post again but as I go through the cellar and find "lost" bottles I can't resist opening and trying.

Just opened a Racer 5 that is close to two years old - ugh! Don't. (And, Racer 5 is one of my "go to" beers and, IMO, one of the best beers on the planet! Old is not good however).

Just opened at same time a Sculpin that is also about two years old. It did not have the same character that we all expect in Sculpin. However, it was very good and quite drinkable! I probably would not age Sculpin on purpose; but, if you want to just experiment and see what happens - it ain't bad!

2. pmoney

pmoney Defender (694) Apr 15, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

You're doing it all wrong. See, it's DOUBLE IPAs that turn into barleywines.

3. jtmartino

jtmartino Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

No shit, Sherlock. ;)

4. GRG1313

Subscriber Beer Trader

Thank you. It's your kind of post that makes this site so insiteful, meaningful and fuzzy!

muletrane likes this.
  5. jtmartino

Beer Trader

Oh come on, I even included a winky!

Thanks for confirming that IPAs don't taste great after cellaring. Of course, I can get a hell of a good look at a T-Bone steak by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it.

6. GRG1313

Subscriber Beer Trader

I am clearly too old for this site.

7. jtmartino

Beer Trader

While drinking down your cellar, check out the movie "Tommy Boy."

8. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (11,887) Mar 18, 2010 California

Did these get lost in the cellar?

9. GRG1313

Subscriber Beer Trader

10. brewbicle

brewbicle Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2011 Minnesota

Generally speaking you do not want to age IPAs or even IIPAs. The hops are the first thing to break down during the aging process leaving the malts alone. IPAs are not brewed to be malt forward beers and as such when they lose their hop counterparts don't result in very good beers.

I have no personal experience with aging IIPAs, and apparently the case has been made that they can age, but I always drink those as I get them. The IPAs and IIPAs are meant to be hoppy and as such should be enjoyed while they are hoppy, that's is my two cents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe