OC/LA/IE Area Supermarket & Bottleshop (2020)

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Frosty11161, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Frosty11161

Frosty11161 Aspirant (233) May 2, 2016 California
    Trader

New thread new year

2. dcgunman

dcgunman Champion (871) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Trader

Happy New Years Frostman. :slight_smile:

Frosty11161 likes this.
  3. dcgunman

Trader

Spotted Nobles Tongue Tickles 4pk for $22. Who and why in the heck would somebody pay that for what was once one of Nobles go to beers? Next to it was Hammerland 6pk for $15.

FrogOut69 likes this.
  4. dcgunman

Trader

Anybody try Sierra’s newest 40th Hoppy Anniversary Ale? Haven’t had anything Sierra Nevada in a very long time.

5. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Devotee (463) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Trader

It is a good, classic WC IPA. Not 8%. Not hazy. No newer hops. Enjoyable as a reminder of what IPAs were like 10 years ago.

6. IceAce

IceAce Savant (920) Jan 8, 2004 California
    Industry

Tustin Brewing ordered two kegs which have yet to arrive...

7. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (3,638) Oct 14, 2009 Texas
    Society Trader

In Anaheim for a few days. What should I look for on the shelf* that I can’t find at a better bottle shop in the SF Bay Area? WCIPAs, cans, of course, but really—what’s good?

Flying Southwest, so space might be limited but bags are free to check in.

*shelf at Sprouts or Trader Joe’s type stores. I won’t have a chance to hit any bottle shops out here.

walterfarris likes this.
  8. FrogOut69

Trader

Can't make it to Mr. K's? If not, probably nothing you can't get up there. Pizza Port maybe?

9. ADfan

ADfan Initiate (35) Nov 28, 2010 California

I thought it was ok. Easy drinker but had more of a lager taste to me. For 9.99 it’s a good deal.

10. Affinity

Affinity Initiate (71) Nov 24, 2018 Missouri
    Trader

Do you guys know of any good bottle shops in Santa Barbara?

Traveling there this weekend and wanted to look for some gems in addition to stopping by Modern Times.

11. pinballplayer

pinballplayer Disciple (317) Jul 2, 2014 California
    Trader

Lama Dog in the Funk Zone. Right next to Topa Topa.

jamesar and Affinity like this.
  12. nghiem

nghiem Initiate (26) Sep 3, 2017 California

Some Trillium bottles, primarily sours, just made their way into the OC. Having never tried Trillium and not a participant of the beer trade, I'm pretty stoked to try this Super Soak Plum. I did a deeper dive and it looks like Scout Distribution now serves OC. I am curious to see if this is a one-off or something more consistent.

13. dcgunman

Trader

Is Surly Brewing making its way to California?

14. Ostpies

Ostpies Initiate (89) Nov 3, 2015 New Zealand (Aotearoa)

Can anyone recommend a bottle store or bar with a good tap list in the Downtown area?

I'll be there next month but haven't visited Downtown in years. Will have a car so if it's a short drive that's cool too (Highland Park is the only beer spot I know of nearby).

15. Mateo2699

Mateo2699 Zealot (566) Jun 9, 2015 Texas
    Trader

I’m glad I found this post. Headed to Santa Barbara for the first time next week, was looking for a place to visit besides modern times. Thanks

16. CraftyAF

CraftyAF Initiate (32) Feb 12, 2017 California
    Trader

Yeah

17. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (2,818) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Society Trader

Where at?

18. bassofthec

bassofthec Initiate (93) Aug 7, 2008 California
    Trader

Windsor Homebrew for one

dcgunman and RaulMondesi like this.
  19. JBogan

JBogan Champion (839) Jul 15, 2007 California

Third Window is another place you might like. They make some pretty solid beers. And since you're up in that general area a drive up to Buellton is well worth it for Firestone Walker/Barrelworks and Figueroa Mtn Brewing, and a stop in Solvang.

IceAce and Mateo2699 like this.
  20. IceAce

IceAce Savant (920) Jan 8, 2004 California
    Industry

Adding more love for Third Window. The beers I had there were spot-on and the staff was absolutely awesome.

Bonus fact: The brewing system at Third Window came from The Bruery in Placentia. (That system was acquired by Patrick Rue from Mendocino back when The Bruery first fired up operations)

Mateo2699 and JBogan like this.
  21. Fippy_Darkpaw

Fippy_Darkpaw Aspirant (216) Sep 14, 2010 California
    Trader

Highland Park and Modern Times (The Dankness Dojo) are really the only two I frequent in DTLA. You'll have a great time visiting those two and The Dojo usually has a pretty great To-Go bottle and can list. HPB might have a few IPAs or lagers available. Crowlers are an option at both

Ostpies likes this.
  22. FrogOut69

Trader

+Eight Bar at Whole Foods

Ostpies likes this.
  23. iamthecarlos

iamthecarlos Initiate (153) Jan 2, 2015 California
    Trader

Ran into 4pks of Bissell Substance at the Co-Op Market in Culver City. Anyone else seeing Bissell around?

24. pinballplayer

pinballplayer Disciple (317) Jul 2, 2014 California
    Trader

Yes. Think it was because they poured at a fest a few weeks ago. Thought Substance was ok. I'm sure five years ago it was relevatory.

iamthecarlos likes this.
  25. RaulMondesi

Society Trader

I can’t recall the name of the beer, but my local bar, Native Son Alehouse in Santa Ana, had a Bissell Beer on tap tonight. Anyway, i picked up some Surly Axe Man and One Man Mosh Pit at Windsor home brew. That place is awesome.

iamthecarlos likes this.
  26. dcgunman

Trader

Yeah Scott is the man.

Scottie_A25 and RaulMondesi like this.
  27. Ostpies

Ostpies Initiate (89) Nov 3, 2015 New Zealand (Aotearoa)

Thanks for the tips!

28. dcgunman

Trader

Stopped Total Wine for some Hop Nookie and SimCoast2Coast and MT Orderville tall boy can. Lady rang me up at just under $25. I asked her “how much?” She said 24 something. I paid. Got home and checked my receipt. The computer charged the 4pk Hop Nook for 1 can. Oops! :stuck_out_tongue:

J-loco likes this.
  29. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Savant (938) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Were they at least cold??? I can't do Total Wine anymore. Just too sad to see all those great hoppy beers sitting out at room temp all the time. They all have the walk-in cooler, sure, but they don't make the best use of it, imo.

Rustytacos and RaulMondesi like this.
  30. FrogOut69

Trader

Usually the sought after limited hoppy stuff goes into the walk-in at least. Granted a lot of other stuff doesn't, but at least those releases tend to make it inside.

31. chrisakavern

chrisakavern Initiate (74) Sep 18, 2014 California

I thought it was okay, but I prefer their Hop Hunter, wish they would put that one in cans!!

32. dcgunman

Trader

All the good hoppy IPA’s I like are always in the cooler at my TW. Only way I will pick from the shelf is it’s a week or less old. And I’m still taking a chance. My local store always has their entire cans/bottles inside the cooler. Just stuff with a lot of wtf cans. Like who buys this stuff? Of course the good stuff is mixed in there too. I’ll prefer the brewery for instant pick ups.

FrogOut69 likes this.
  33. UnknownKoger

UnknownKoger Zealot (551) Jul 9, 2010 California

So Cantillon Fou Foune and Mamouche are showing up at shops, and the price gouging is pretty bad. Stopped in at one of my favorite shops and they were charging $90-100 for Fou Foune.

I grabbed the $30 De Cam instead

34. RaulMondesi

Society Trader

Yep. At my TW they have shit like Ninkasi in the fridge... ok, Boomer.

35. Affinity

Affinity Initiate (71) Nov 24, 2018 Missouri
    Trader

Just stopped into Llama Dog yesterday in Santa Barbara and they had an excellent bottle selection. Fremont Coconut BBomb, Rusty Nail, Westvlteren 12, FO, Darkstar November. Some of the stuff is fairly priced, $24 for Rusty Nail. But, they were selling Westy 12 for $32 per bottle. Now I realize that you can't find this beer anywhere in the US, but $32 a bottle?! I saw 8 bottles of Westy 12 and about 8 of Westy 10. Overall subpar service, variable prices, but good beer selection.

36. CraftyAF

CraftyAF Initiate (32) Feb 12, 2017 California
    Trader

Blackbeards Crafts

37. UnknownKoger

UnknownKoger Zealot (551) Jul 9, 2010 California

Surly One Man Mosh Pit popped up in my local bottleshop. Interesting

38. MissionWoodlandHills

MissionWoodlandHills Initiate (44) Jul 2, 2010 California

Here's the program's beer finder, you can see whose gotten what so far:
    https://www.guestbrewer.com/beer-finder

So far the coolest stuff that's come through is Surly and DuClaw, I'm expecting a lot more in 2020 through this program. Think landmark regional breweries big enough to produce annual drops without regular distribution.

39. dcgunman

Trader

Just got back from my local TW stop for cans. This is 2nd time the register rang up Revision To Dream 4pk as 1 can. Anybody else been to their local TW and their 4pk rang up as 1can?

40. 562Brew

562Brew Initiate (82) Mar 5, 2018 California
    Trader

No but I’ve had Modern Times Seasonal IPA 4-packs ring up as Black House 4-packs at TW in LB and HB.

dcgunman likes this.