October 2018 Cellar Reviews

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by kemoarps, Oct 6, 2018.

1. kemoarps

kemoarps Meyvn (1,221) Apr 30, 2008 Washington
    Trader

Surprised to see there's no October thread up yet. Hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes by starting it.

Saturdays in the cellar once again as I finish up a stretch at work and now can look forward to a nice two weeks off.

I'm certain I've had Cherry Adam From the Wood before. But evidently I didn't bother to review it or write anything down about it. Also I decided to cellar a bottle, even though cherry's are not the most reliable flavour to last. I do have my notes about the base Adam to compare it to.
    Bottle from 2015, clearly before I had even the limited knowledge set I am currently working with regarding aging/cellaring beers.

Mostly flat muddy dark reddish brown pour... Working in medicine the first thing this hue makes me think of is old old old blood in bodily fluids, but most people would probably take that descriptor as a negative. It's not intended as such. Flat. No head to speak of.

Nose is sweet with leather and tobacco and spicy barrel, but mellow. Richer than my notes suggest I got from the base Adam.

Notes of mellowed barrel spice as well as some boozy figs and tobacco and chocolate. An oozingly decadent sweet note is the legacy of cherry... it doesn't taste like straight up cherry any more but you can tell that the cherry is the antecedent for the current manifestation.

Sticky thick and coating with a surprising little carbonation presence that almost has the same feel as like piquant spice (but is clearly carbonation not heat).

This has held up remarkably well, and is still a fantastically delicious beer. Cheers!

[​IMG]

2. Superheatnsubcool

Superheatnsubcool Aspirant (288) May 31, 2016 Washington

2017 Goose Island Bourbon County Barleywine
    Bottled 06OCT17, 14.4% abv
    Tasted 06OCT18.

Pours an opaque shade of dark brown with ruby hues on the edges. Doesn’t produce much head, and it quickly disappears and doesn’t leave any lacing.

Smells primarily of rum soaked cake with raisins. The background aroma comes off a little medicinal, reminiscent of cherry cough syrup. Hints of fusel alcohols apparent.

Taste follows the nose, but is pretty mellow and integrated. As I continue to solo the bottle, it gets to be a bit much. The cherry cough syrup flavor makes itself more prominent.

Mouthfeel is fairly viscous, with medium-low carbonation. Overall, I probably won’t be buying this again. I haven’t tasted it fresh for comparison, but I’d be more content having Mother of All Storms or Fremont Brew 2000.

kemoarps, TheGent, argock and 5 others like this.
  3. Samlover55

Samlover55 Defender (615) Oct 8, 2015 New York
    Trader

Weyerhaeuser Blithering Idiot 2013 Vintage

[​IMG]
    12oz bottle into Tulip
    Bottled on 1/3/13 close to six years old
    Pours a garnet color with thin tan head that fizzles out
    Rich aroma of Caramel and fruit pudding
    The taste is a chock load of dark fruit, with some plum coming in, definitely has some sweet caramel brown sugar as well, the finish is smooth with some booziness
    The feel is slightly thin, but held up nicely, along with a below average carbonation, pretty smooth too for 11.1%
    Overall I am over the moon with this one, while I obviously would like to have tried it fresh, it is awesome with age on it

4. Samlover55

Trader

Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Barleywine 2016 Vintage
    [​IMG]
    16.9oz bottle into Tulip
    Bottled on 10/19/16 basically two years old
    It Appears a dark black with dark tan head, but is closer to brown when held up at the light
    Aroma is caramel, brown sugar, bourbon
    The taste is caramelized brown sugar, subtle leather, even more subtle heat, with smooth vanilla bourbon finish
    The feel is thick and smooth, no alcohol burn
    Overall I can't ask for a better BBA barleywine, smooth tasty, not much more to say

5. argock

argock Poo-Bah (2,788) Dec 30, 2006 Virginia

2010 Brooklyn Monster Ale
    Last one of these — one of the first beers I bought to start cellaring!

Murky amber-brown with decent ring of head persisting and rare random dots of lacing.

Aroma is not too inviting — bland with a little plum and fig and hint of newspaper.

Flavor is a different story with a blast of sweet fig/date, lightly phenolic, and finished with toffee and nougat and light cherry chocolate note in the finish.

Mouthfeel is reasonably substantial, not as full bodied as fresh but still respectable with low-medium carbonation.

2010 Brooklyn Monster Ale seems to finally be on the fade. Glad I gave it (cellaring) a try and it will always hold a special place.

6. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,108) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Trader

I guess I will add this here as well as in WBAYDN. It's aboot 3 years old now.

Brewed September 9th 2015, bottled October 13th 2015. No decoding required.

Wheat malt, wheat yeast? This should be interesting.

It pours black with a pretty big head of tannish foam..nah, it's tan. Good lacing. Once things settle down, there's just a ring of foam around the glass.

That smell! Roasted malt, dark chocolate, toffee, some coffee..3 years old. The years must have been very kind; never had this fresh so I pretty much don't know what I'm talking aboot.

The taste reflects the smell with no hidden surprises. Roasted malt rules the roost with bitter dark chocolate following closely behind. Some coffee, enough for you to know that it's there. Semi sweet/bitter overall and a real treat.

Medium bodied with light carbonation...there wasn't a sound when I popped the cap.

7. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (1,833) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Premium Trader

2013 Sierra Nevada Narwhal. Cellared at the correct temp since 2013. A nice full head on the pour. Nose is chocolate, coffee, and beautiful roasted notes. Taste is super smooth. This has really mellowed out. Lots of black licorice, molasses, dark fruit, toffee, fudge, tree sap, and more chocolate. This is so creamy and full bodied it's amazing. This beer has aged incredibly over 5 years. I would definitely say that I prefer it with age. The 2018 6 packs just came out and I will be grabbing at least one to cellar. Amazing beer.

[​IMG]

8. kemoarps

kemoarps Meyvn (1,221) Apr 30, 2008 Washington
    Trader

Narwhal is one of those that I try and grab a pack every year for just that purpose. Sometimes I end up doubling up because I can't remember if I already grabbed one for this year or not, ha!

bl00 and Beersnake1 like this.
  9. Beersnake1

Premium Trader

Stone Vertical Epic 12.12.12. This is now almost 6 years old. Poured from fridge temp. Pours jet black with very little head. Nose is cinnamon, ginger, clove, black licorice, and dark chocolate. Really nice. Smells like Christmas! Taste is much like the nose. Definitely picking up the clove right away, with the ginger and cinnamon still very up front. The taste is still fantastic, and better than fresh IMO. The most amazing part of this beer is the incredibly thick and creamy mouthfeel. This is such a great beer. I have one more in the cellar, but I think I'll wait another year or two for that one. Cheers!

[​IMG]

10. Luscious_Malfoy

Luscious_Malfoy Savant (939) Oct 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

Avery Pump[KY]n batch 2 bottled November of 2015 (so just shy of 3 years of age on it) consumed 10/11/18

Pours a barleywine-type murky maroon/brown with lighter, almost clear see-through, edges. a little bit of head that disappears quickly but leaves a thin foam ring around the outsides. (4.25)

Smell is nice pumpkin & autumn spices with the slightest bit of bourbon. very pleasing on a cool October evening. One of the highlights of this pour for me. (4.50)

Taste is a nice and balanced blend of pumpkin pie and bourbon. Flavors are a little subdued but with only six months in the barrel there wasn’t a ton of bourbon to begin with. Oxidation could play some part in fading pumpkin & spice flavors but it’s not to the point of falling apart. this beer could have easily sat in my fridge for another year or 2. (4.25)

Feel is surprisingly thick and very smooth. This is labeled as a Pumpkin Porter and judging from the ABV you could easily add “Imperial” to that label as well. The Porter base gives this some substance as far as mouthfeel goes, which i very much enjoy. This was the other highlight of this pour for me. (4.50)

Overall, very impressed with how this has aged. i had the 2016 version on draft fresh and still have a bottle of 2016 that should hold up well until next autumn. Interesting to note too that the 2015 bottle is by far the weakest ABV at an even 15% with all other vintages clocking in around 17-19%. (4.50 for a combined rating of 4.39)

11. Samlover55

Trader

Boulevard Rye on Rye on Rye bottled in November of 2016
    (Was only able to take picture at the end of bottle)
    I had this a year ago but didn't review it, so here is my review from today.
    [​IMG]

.750ml bottle into Tulip
    BB 11/11/18 sitting in the cellar for about a year and a half
    Pours a deep brown, almost reddish brown with a nice sized head for a barrel-aged beer
    Apricot fruit leather aroma, oak, vanilla, rye, some alcohol
    Warming spicy rye, fruit leather, brown sugar, oaky with a boozy finish
    Medium bodied, average carbonation, a sipper but not too thick, heat has been takes by age
    Overall this is a great beer, but different than other Barrel-aged beers as the rye barrels accentuate the rye base beer as opposed to adding a new dimension

12. Beersnake1

Premium Trader

Papier, the 2009 anniversary ale from the Bruery. This is now 9 years old. Poured from fridge temp. Pours a murky brown with almost no head. Nose is nuts, figs, port/sherry, caramel, and raisins. Reminds me of an aged English barleywine. Taste is also along those lines. Nice and sweet, with a bitter backbone. Huge toffee notes, bourbon, figs, raisins, fudge, and candy. Definitely getting an odd bitterness and some oxidation. It's probably past its prime, but still tasting great. Mouthfeel is robust.

[​IMG]

13. Beersnake1

Premium Trader

2014 Trader Joe's Vintage Ale, brewed by Unibroue (one of my favorites). Pours a dark brown with an immense amount of tan head (despite conservative pour. Nose is incredibly similar to Unibrou's Trois Pistoles, which is probably similarly brewed. Spice, roasted malts, caramel, figs, raisins on the nose. Taste is incredibly smooth and mildly sweet. Tons of figs, raisins, plums, toffee, molasses, and earthy notes. Mouthfeel is incredibly creamy and robust. Overall, this is a phenomenal beer and super cheap! Has aged very well.

[​IMG]

14. BalancingBrooms

BalancingBrooms Devotee (400) Aug 22, 2013 Louisiana

Oh man sad to hear this is on the downtrend. I’m on my last bottle as well. Hopefully it will be brewed again someday.