Odell Hop Butterfly Tribute Beer

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by joshclauss, May 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joshclauss

joshclauss Zealot (689) Oct 31, 2010 Colorado

http://blogs.westword.com/cafesociety/2013/05/odell_will_release_a_beer_dedi.php

Anyone ever had as saison from Odell before? No mention of it being a particularly hoppy saison, which is a little odd considering the concept. I'm hopeful that it is, since Odell knows their way around hops.

I know a lot of people aren't a fan of the packaging format for these beers, but I am really happy they're doing these. They seem to be able to pump them out at a pretty consistent pace, and it keeps a wealth of new flavored on the shelves while allowing Odell to stay on top of trends in the beer industry that more quickly gets new flavored to my mouth hole without having to trade. Me likely.

2. Prospero

Prospero Pooh-Bah (2,606) Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

750ml corked? Why not a fan? I think this is going to be a great beer, love the full-bodied 7.5% saisons... although it sounds Americanized, it should be nice, my guess is a lot like Tank 7. I just hope it's not priced like a sour. Wasn't happy about $14 Tree Shaker (although good)

3. denver10

denver10 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,081) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico
    Pooh-Bah Society

I tried two recent pilot batch saisons from them

Saison Couple was a dark saison with cinnamon and vanilla and was absolutely disgusting. I took 3 smalls sips and stopped drinking it. THE worst beer I ever tried from Odell.

I also tried their Monarch Saison, a more traditional saison in title but not in delivery (IMO). I thought that was a beer that they should have made at 5% or lower in abv and simply titled as a Belgian styled session ale, because I really think it failed as a saison. And while it offered flavor, it was quite light in poignancy for a 6%'er. I did actually enjoy drinking it, but I wouldn't recommend it to others and it had a ton of issues with it.

End result, as much as I love Odell I am not holding out a ton of hope for this upcoming release. I am definitely going to give it a try, and I wouldn't be surprised to discover something I really like, but my expectations for it are lukewarm. Probably something I will find on tap before committed the $14 or whatever it is likely to cost via the bottle.

4. Prospero

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

http://odellbrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Celastrina.pdf

[​IMG]

MarkyMOD likes this.
  5. patFC320

patFC320 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2012 Colorado

Monarch Saison was the worst beer I've ever tried from Odell. It was very off point.

6. denver10

Pooh-Bah Society

Anyone try this one yet?

7. Moose90

Moose90 Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2012 Washington

[​IMG]

Yes. It is wonderful.

Well worth the $14.99.

denver10 likes this.
  8. denver10

Pooh-Bah Society

Think I might have to make a trip to thd taproom today then. Thanks.

9. Prospero

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Had this tonight, I agree, this is a very well done saison. Great fruit/spicy balance and dry finish.

10. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2010 Colorado

Enjoyed this one!!!!

11. denver10

Pooh-Bah Society

I think I need to give this a 2nd try....I liked it but definitely didn't react nearly as strongly to it as everyone else seems to be. Kinda wonder if drinking it outside on a windy day blew away all the aromatics and impacted the experience for me.

12. imperialbeerdude

imperialbeerdude Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2012 Colorado

I paid 12.99 bro, your beers tore sucks!!! good beer though

13. Moose90

I paid cost, but our retail is $14.99, we only got one case in so we're not going to firesale it.

Mebuzzard likes this.
  14. Moose90

Get yourself a bottle, it drank like a champagne, the C&C just adds to it all, ha.

15. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Grand Pooh-Bah (3,274) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Do yourself the favor, looseleaf can go to hell, here's my summer session brew.

16. denver10

Pooh-Bah Society

Way too expensive for me for this to be my summer session brew!

I really, really like Looseleaf and if I could drink more of it I think my opinion would only grow. I totally get why others probably don't feel the same as me, but for me what I look for in a session beer is something that is light and crip, has a smooth and enjoyable flavor that is not too bold or aggressive, and can be enjoyed straight from the bottle/can (which I know is taboo on this site, sobeit) as I watch some baseball or hang out with friends. Loose Leaf met all those requirements for me, better than just about any other beer not named Yuengling that I have tried. If they sold six packs of Loose Leaf at Deschutes prices, that might very well be all I drank this baseball season (at least when at home).

But I do want to give Celastina another shot. Only problem is is that I have been trying to (and succeeding at) holding back from buying bombers/750's above $10 for a couple months now, so we'll see if can get myself to buy another bottle. Or maybe I will hit the taproom up again.

SalukiAlum likes this.
  17. joshclauss

joshclauss Zealot (689) Oct 31, 2010 Colorado

Tried Celastrina yesterday. It is a really well-made, Americanized version of a Saison. It does have some underlying fruitiness (not sure if it was coming from the malt or what) that gave it more character and depth of flavor than typical American-made Saisons - you know the type: I just added this White Labs Saison yeast to a Golden recipe...voila, Saison! I easily drank most of the bottle myself. It's a really nice beer.

Prospero likes this.
  18. denver10

Pooh-Bah Society

When I tried it, that fruitiness was largely missing for me. I remember thinking how a little more fruitiness would have gone a long way for me with that beer too.

19. denver10

Pooh-Bah Society

So I went for it and gave the Celastrina a second shot. Drinking it right now and definitely digging it a LOT more this 2nd go round. Glad I gave another go of it, wish it were cheaper so I could go out and buy more now.

SalukiAlum likes this.
  20. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,772) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Pooh-Bah Society

I just finished a bottle and put up a review. Unfortunately, I'm not a fan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.