Odell St. Lupulin is BACK!

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by Prospero, Apr 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prospero

Prospero Savant (947) Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Love this beer so much thought it deserved it's own thread.

This is a beer I'll be drinking daily til September til we have to say goodbye again. Wish this was an year-round beer for Odell.

Sorry had already forgot about the thread on page 2:
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/the-return-of-st-lupulin.83199/

I do love this beer, not sure if I mentioned that yet or not.

If anyone has a homebrew clone of this beer I'd be forever in your favor as it'd save me a bundle. Probably the lightest bodied 6.5% XAPA beer I've ever had, even better than Alesmith's

2. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,036) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Got the first of many six packs to come last night, if you're serious about cloning it ask around the homebrew forum, i'd be up to brew it.

3. Prospero

Beer Trader

Yeah, 10-gallon batch of St. Lupulin here I come!

4. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Disciple (347) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

here's an alleged direct quote from the brewery PR people when asked for homebrew help, at least according to a poster on another forum (Homebrew Talk):

"Some of the hops we use are Columbus, Perle, Chinook, Amarillo, and
    Centennial and we hop back using whole flowers of some of these. Some of
    the malts we use are Pale Malt, ESB Malt, Vienna, and Caramalt. Both the
    IPA and St. Lupulin are hop backed and dry hopped in addition to the
    boil addition."

Perhaps not so much help in reverse engineering, but maybe enough...I would probably bitter with the (neutral) Perle and then add the 1/2 of the rest in the kettle at knockout/whirlpool with 1/2 in a hopback recirculating into the kettle. Maybe 2 oz each, divided in half between the kettle and the hopback.

Then dryhop probably 1 oz to 1 1/2 oz each of Amarillo and Centennial and 1/2 oz each Chinook and Columbus...(for a 5 gallon batch, more for 10)

5. joshclauss

joshclauss Aspirant (243) Oct 31, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

This isn't surprising to me. I like the beer alright, but the hop presence is very muddled. I think a streamlining of the hops might make for a better beer.

6. Prospero

Beer Trader

Aside from Perle, the other hops are very commonly used together in american IPAs so it may be the combination of Perle with the slight mint characteristic it gives off along with the German yeast (rumored) that Odell uses. I actually quite enjoy the slight variation.

7. FMPLover24

FMPLover24 Initiate (142) Dec 1, 2011 Kansas

Just curious what others are paying for a sixer, I payed $10.99 at my local.

8. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,147) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

Think I paid $9.99 like I do for all Odell seasonals. Will have to double check.

9. Fitshaced

Fitshaced Aspirant (225) Feb 29, 2012 Colorado

I'm not a home brewer. So I'm lost on what "Hop Presence is very muddled" and "Streamlining the Hops" means?

Have always thought St. Lup is a very tasty "IPA" love the hops and Amarillo is one of my faves

10. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poo-Bah (3,458) May 19, 2005 Colorado

I'd love to do a clone, but I ain't gots me a hopback. Too fancy for me; leave that to the pros

11. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Disciple (332) Dec 19, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Couple hours of yard work and drinking me a Lupulin right now! :grinning:
    Maybe I'll have 5 more!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.