Odell Woodcut No7 - Russian Imperial Stout

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by Knownfactor, Aug 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knownfactor

Knownfactor Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2010 Colorado

2. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Meyvn (1,471) Aug 14, 2005 Colorado

Rumor is that all future Woodcut beers will be stouts.

3. DaveAnderson

DaveAnderson Devotee (480) Jan 11, 2011 Minnesota

Come on. #3 was fantastic. Multiple flat bottles of #5 left me unwilling to buy #6, though.

4. Jasonrm72

Jasonrm72 Disciple (387) Apr 29, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I wasn't thrilled with their bourbon stout a couple of years ago. Hopefully this stout gets bumped up a couple notches

5. LotsofLupulin

LotsofLupulin Initiate (0) May 5, 2012 Colorado

So is it aged in new oak barrels or first use bourbon barrels?

6. Kuester

Kuester Initiate (0) May 14, 2012 Colorado

From the label, looks like new oak, don't see one mention of bourbon. The coffee excites me...but I will say I think we need more bourbon coffee stouts, don't see an offering for that often.

7. joshclauss

joshclauss Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

The Woodcut series is defined by the beer being aged in new oak only, so if they used anything but, it would be straying from the idea behind the series in the first place.

8. joshclauss

joshclauss Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I think the coffee is only a tasting note and not an actual ingredient. But I have had a few Imperial Stouts with that tasting note where I would have guessed there was actual coffee, so maybe it's just semantics.

9. MYJELLOMISFIT

MYJELLOMISFIT Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2007 Colorado

Rumor is true. All Woodcut from now on will be Imperial Stout (same base recipe from what I heard). Barrel usage and additions will vary. And the price is coming down and no more "champagne" styles bottles.

10. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2010 Colorado

I'm happy!!!

11. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poo-Bah (3,396) May 19, 2005 Colorado

does this mean they'll actually sell? :oops:

hopfacebrew, CK21 and coreymcafee like this.
  12. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Aspirant (277) May 31, 2011 Colorado

They're supposed to sell? I thought they were meant to be decorations.

13. imperialbeerdude

imperialbeerdude Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2012 Colorado

Praise the beer Gods, I will finally buy a woodcut beer. And while there "bourbon" stout sucked, Lugene was pretty nice.

14. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,136) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Nice. Can't say I really care what the base beer is so much as the price. While they're certainly not the only beers priced like that now, Odell was charging $27 for Woodcut when most comparable items were 1/2 that.

15. alli4051

alli4051 Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2009 Colorado

Nice. A buddy of mine splurged for a bottle of #6, which was good, just not $27 good. Depending on how much they cut the price this could easily turn into a must buy for me. I actually liked the bourbon stout they did.

denver10 and SalukiAlum like this.
  16. beatenbyjacks

beatenbyjacks Zealot (503) Apr 17, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

The last batch of BBS got some wild yeast in it which soured quite a few bottles and ruined the batch causing them to pull the bottles off the shelves. If they end up going down a Imperial Stout line I hope woodcut 7 is the last and that they start a new series and play around that way. Once I buy this I'll crack 3-7 in the winter to celebrate!

Gueuze_Goon likes this.
  17. SiflandOlly

SiflandOlly Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2010 Colorado

Looking forward to the new direction they're taking with these!

18. Prospero

Prospero Savant (921) Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I heard that BBS got infected like @beatenbyjacks said, but I hear that Woodcut #7 was going to be based on BBS too... so there's that. Would love to see that beer again as intended.

19. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Champion (871) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

BBS was pretty damned tasty when I had it... if a bit foamy. :rolleyes:
    Glad to see Odell heading this way though.

20. ablackshear

ablackshear Initiate (1) Sep 17, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I think I still have a couple of the 2011 BBS hiding somewhere in the basement, curious how that one tastes now and if they're infected

21. beatenbyjacks

beatenbyjacks Zealot (503) Apr 17, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I just traded for a 2011 Version, Orange Label, and it was not as good as the Brown 2010 version. Still tasty, but not as good. The BBS up through 2010 were great. With the success of Lugene, I like the direction. There is a lot of experimentation to be had with BBS'. New label, new series, new beers to be drank!

kwijibo61 likes this.
  22. MighHighBrewer

MighHighBrewer Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2013 Colorado

Just picked this up from Davidsons for $19.99. I would never pay $27+ for it, but I think it's worth a go at $20.

23. mariacha

mariacha Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2013 Colorado

Selling for $19.99 up here in Fort Collins too.

24. SFACRKnight

Beer Trader

20$ on the south side. Went for backcountry breakfast, and velvet merkin instead.

25. Prospero

Beer Trader

So is this just a virgin oak aged (custom coopered barrels from Kentucky) RIS? No bourbon correct?

26. wyoming

wyoming Initiate (140) Sep 4, 2007 Wyoming

rather have oak aged yeti at a better price..

SalukiAlum likes this.
  27. imperialbeerdude

imperialbeerdude Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2012 Colorado

any early reviews?

28. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2010 Colorado

As the #1 Odell fan, I would have to agree with you. Not sure how they justify some of their price points on these big bottle releases. I'll still probably buy 1 bottle just to try, but can't see getting anymore. Would prefer to try on tap, anyone know if this will be on tap (I'm assuming so)?

denver10 and russpowell like this.
  29. guyforget

guyforget Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2009 Colorado

i tried one before it was fully carbed from the bottle conditioning a few weeks ago and it was pretty tasty, albeit flat. this was a few weeks ago, friend at the brewery pulled a few of the short-fill bottles that wouldnt be sold for us to drink.

correct. all woodcut beers are aged in first use oak barrels.

30. SkeeterBoganski

SkeeterBoganski Devotee (482) Feb 25, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I believe this will be on draft at the Taproom this weekend. I'd imagine draft elsewhere in the near future too.

denver10 and SalukiAlum like this.
  31. guyforget

guyforget Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2009 Colorado

it was on tap last weekend @ the odell open house.

32. alexipa

alexipa Disciple (326) Oct 7, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I love Odell but this series is just too expensive to warrant buying. Even at $20, it's a strong pass from me.

If you're going to sell an aged stout it has to be unbelievably good to sell above ~$14. There's far too many amazing stouts in the $10 range.

33. eawolff99

eawolff99 Champion (897) May 10, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Opened this tonight -- it's fine for a $13 oak aged imp stout, it's rubbish for a $23 one. I'd rather have 2-4 packs of Rasputin or Yeti. I'm hitting my breaking point with Odell. Between the laughing at the consumer entrant at Rare Beer Fest (Footprint, really? Aren't you embarrassed to be pouring that at a $100/ticket rare beer festival?) and now this? As much as I'll miss you Myrcenary...I won't miss the joke being on me any more.

blindpiggie likes this.
  34. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Defender (677) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Don't know how anyone could give up Myrcenary!

35. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (1,949) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

SkeeterBoganski likes this.
  36. SFACRKnight

Beer Trader

Footprint? Seriously? I enjoyed that beer, but I'm not sure how rare it was. Pretty sure it was turding around for months.

37. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (1,949) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

I thought it was 2012 Deconstruction that they entered and they did so concurrent with the actual bottle release. So it was so rare that it was on just about every Colorado liquor store shelf at the time.

Whatever the beer, to Odell's credit, they righted their wrong and ended up hooking the fest up with a couple kegs of beer that was actually rare.

38. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Aspirant (277) May 31, 2011 Colorado

I was in VA last week, and got a bomber of BA Dragon's Milk for $8.99. Thta beer sets the bar really high at a crazy low price. If it were available here, I'm not sure I'd ever buy any other stout. I don't know (or care) what barrels New Holland uses, or for how long, but somehow they've figured out how to make a reasonably price 10% stout that's barrel-aged and damn delicious.

alexipa and eawolff99 like this.
  39. Prospero

Beer Trader

I don't think it's aged as long, and not custom toasted barrels from Kentucky. These two factors are only thing I can think of to justify the price. Which arguably doesn't matter to consumers (attn: Odell/New Belgium) if we can find equally as good beer for less $.

denver10 likes this.
  40. MarkyMOD

MarkyMOD Meyvn (1,125) Apr 5, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

If I remember right that beer is aged in 3rd use barrels as opposed to 2nd use, probably the reason for the price. Definitely quite tasty though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

No fake news here. Get real beer content delivered to your doorstep every month.

Subscribe