OEC Tasting Room

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by blisscent, Oct 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blisscent

blisscent Devotee (462) Aug 16, 2015 Rhode Island

Are there samples available at their Oxford location? Any other other info not on their own site would be appreciated.

2. AaronF

AaronF Initiate (0) Jun 23, 2012 Connecticut

Yes but not free. They will also serve full pours and have bottles for on premise consumption. Chill place. Great beer

dmolz and blisscent like this.
  3. blisscent

blisscent Devotee (462) Aug 16, 2015 Rhode Island

Finally went and very Surprised they don't get much more fanfare on these boards. No on else is doing great sours and it doesn't involve long lines or special events with more long lines. All there is to it is to order one/many/all of the 8 sours on draught to then later decide what growlers/bottles to bring home. Maybe if things were more inconvenient, they would get more hype on here - ha

#3 blisscent, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    PatrickCT likes this.
  4. rwitter

rwitter Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2006 Denmark

Only had one of their sours and it was better used to clean paint of walls then to ingest.

Stum-pub likes this.
  5. dmolz

dmolz Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2014 Connecticut

judging a complex place like that after 1 drink, no comprende. oh well, more for us.

6. rwitter

They let a beer go to market that was fucking foul as hell. Doesn't give me faith in their other products.

7. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Initiate (0) Jun 7, 2005 New York

Which beer was that, exactly?

CTJman and Horbar like this.
  8. Bizoneill

Bizoneill Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2012 Connecticut

Shhhhh...

9. Lupin

Lupin Devotee (493) Jun 4, 2006 Connecticut
    Society Trader

You obviously haven't been to one of the Experimentalis releases, then. 7AM beer shares and a loooooong line at open.

:slight_smile:

trilliumhead84 and blisscent like this.
  10. rwitter

Spontalis

Stum-pub likes this.
  11. Knifestyles

Interesting. I would've guessed that you were talking about Grandis (definitely one of their more polarizing brews).

But for someone to write off an entire brewery because they didn't like one beer? Really?

"Go to market"? It was a 220 bottle count release available only at the brewery on a single day. That's kind of a lofty angle to play. It didn't "go to market".

Seriously, do yourself a favor and try any of their other beers.

Just a few suggestions:
    • Tempus: Just an incredible beer and almost unanimously praised.
    • Any Experimentalis release: Some of the best fruited beers in the Northeast.
    • Artista Zynergia project: Hands-down the coolest blending experiments happening right now.

Ask anyone to name the best breweries in Connecticut and OEC will easily be in the top 3.

They're not crazy; it's for a reason.

12. dmolz

lol that one has solid reviews. by no means their best, but apparently everyone but you is crazy. it is possible too it got ruined getting shipped too, considering you're in denmark. we'll all still drink it though while you're hating.

13. BrewWhatYouLove

BrewWhatYouLove Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2014 Massachusetts

He's not in Denmark, he's a new brewer at Hill Farmstead

14. mewithstewpid

mewithstewpid Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2015 Connecticut

I went to the release and liked it then. It was very acidic, but I enjoyed it, and everyone i went with enjoyed it. However, the people I went to the release with opened a bottle fairly recently and said it was rancid. Not sure what happened to it in the bottle, but something did.

15. dmolz

it's got a bunch of solid reviews on untappd from the bottle. ppl posted pics. I was there too and agree. I did read a few similar to what you're saying. possible few just got infected. it happens. that guy is still missing out though. the new one looks crazy poured.

16. Knifestyles

This one? Yeah, it's crazy...

[​IMG]

sandman3479, blisscent and dmolz like this.
  17. dmolz

yup. went in for just a glass, left with bottles lol.

18. bostonwolf

bostonwolf Initiate (128) Jan 20, 2015 Massachusetts

I spent $200 there this summer without even trying. Half of it was for a buddy who loves sours and he hasn't had any complaints.

19. kinopio

kinopio Aspirant (278) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts

On the OEC website it says you can call the brewery and if anyone is around they will sell you bottles. Anyone have experience with this? I've been there on saturdays but sometimes I'm passing through the area on one of the 6 days of the week they aren't open and would like to get bottles.

ReedRothcild82 likes this.
  20. Knifestyles

They're pretty accommodating. Some days are better than others, of course. Wednesdays are usually good, but yeah...a call in advance is definitely recommended.

sandman3479 likes this.
  21. dmolz

yup. I did it last wk w/ the bon chien zymatore since I missed the release.

22. JosephThompson

JosephThompson Initiate (145) Nov 29, 2011 New Jersey

The first two responses show a positive but I have tried them thrice during the week and never received a call back. Very much a hit-and-miss thing but always worth lobbing a phone call.

I should note all three times it wasn't a big deal. Happened to be in Hartford area and took a shot but I've visited the tasting room on Saturday a few times and have no issue making the drive up from NJ.

23. Faxmesomehalibut

Faxmesomehalibut Devotee (477) May 22, 2014 New Hampshire
    Trader

I need to get back to OEC, haven't been since the month after they opened. It was super chill then, like 5-10 people there while I was there over the course of a couple hours.

Is this still the case? Is it more crowded now that they have established their skills with phenomenal offerings?

24. Balrog1

Balrog1 Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2015 Connecticut

I've been there three times over the past 6 months and it's always been pretty quiet. At most there's been 15-20 people there.

My brother went on one of their special release/event days and he said it was a madhouse though.

25. Faxmesomehalibut

Faxmesomehalibut Devotee (477) May 22, 2014 New Hampshire
    Trader

Yeah I can imagine that if they have events it can get wild haha. I am glad they haven't become too crazy though, I enjoyed being able to hang out and talk with brewers and servers while drinking!

26. dmolz

I went saturday around two and had a glass of that purple drank, no lines. release day. the limited stuff will get busy though. but that's maybe 5 or 6 days out of the year. or their festivals. but even those aren't bad. and after the initial rush, most all of them aren't too crazy later either.

27. benzalman

benzalman Devotee (460) Apr 25, 2009 California
    Trader

I called ahead last Friday, they told me to stop in - no problem at all. Great spot, they couldn't have been nicer.

28. Drufus

Drufus Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2007 Connecticut

I thought I liked sours, but I went to OEC and had a sampler......not for me. Struggled to get them down. Of the 6 I had I think I would only drink one of them again.

29. MenardMa

MenardMa Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2011 Connecticut

I had some of this on Saturday and thought it was very, very tasty.

30. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (2,319) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Society

I have been there when when it was busy and the lines still moved pretty quick. To the OP, as it has been said, samples are paid for but you can get as many or as little as you like. As for the responses to @rwitter's comments...he didn't like the beer. Who cares?
    @blisscent, Hit Black Hog while you are there.

blisscent likes this.
  31. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (2,319) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Society

Sorry! You already went. Glad you enjoyed it. Ha-ha.

32. Oddpac87

Oddpac87 Initiate (35) Feb 17, 2009 New Jersey

Oof, 7 am, huh? Coming up from NJ for the tour on the 14th and was planning on getting up there early for the release, but wasn't sure exactly how early I needed to be there.

33. Lupin

Lupin Devotee (493) Jun 4, 2006 Connecticut
    Society Trader

You'll get Experimentalis bottles if you arrive after that, but the bottle shares typically start in the 7-8AM range.

34. Oddpac87

Oddpac87 Initiate (35) Feb 17, 2009 New Jersey

Good to know. I'll be sure to bring some bottles. Thanks.

35. edallolie

edallolie Initiate (0) Oct 12, 2015 Connecticut

If everyone gets the limit then there are bottles for less than 100. Is 8 a safe time to get there?

36. trilliumhead84

trilliumhead84 Initiate (0) Aug 27, 2015 Massachusetts

At 288 bottles for Exp#2 with Raspberries, you should get there early if you want to have a shot at it.

37. kennyo

kennyo Devotee (472) Jan 30, 2003 New York
    Trader

the release is on the 14th? if so, what time. I am trying to get to Two Roads for their release also.

38. Knifestyles

12pm!

CTJman likes this.
  39. NobleJayJesse

NobleJayJesse Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2015 Connecticut

Not sure if any of yall are Brew Dogs fans but on the Louisville KY episode of all places, the owner of their #1 Brewpub in Lousiville was rocking an OEC shirt. They're definitely turning some heads.

edallolie likes this.
  40. Burntfoot

Burntfoot Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey

Planning on going up.. Can't get there for 8am but what time should I plan on getting in line if I want three bottles .. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.