% of dextrine/cara-pils?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jessemorris, Sep 6, 2012.

1. jessemorris

jessemorris May 27, 2009 Florida

When you're formulating a recipe, what % of your grain bill are these malts generally? I feel like I always err on the side of caution (1-2%) but I'm not sure if that's even doing anything. Any advice would help.

I generally use this malt in pale ales or IPAs, if that helps.

2. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 May 11, 2007 Minnesota

Really depends on the recipe. Are you using other crystal malts? What yeast is being used? There is really no rule on it.

3. carteravebrew

carteravebrew Jan 21, 2010 Colorado

Just depends on what you're brewing and what other malts are in your recipe. For a basic pale ale with decent body, I would probably use about 5% dextrine and 5-10% crystal.

It's not unheard-of, but not all that common, to use dextrine malt in an IPA. If you're going for dry, West-coast style, I wouldn't use more than a couple % points and would only do so for head retention, but you're getting that from hops too anyway, if I'm not mistaken.

4. VikeMan

VikeMan Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I don't usually use any in APAs/IPAs. No issues with foam retention. I tend to use carapils (or carafoam, etc.) in low hopped styles.

But I would ask... you're using 1-2%... are you happy with the result? If so, keep doing it. Or if you need to satisfy your curiosity, brew a batch exactly the same way, but without the carapils and see.

5. mugs1789

mugs1789 Dec 6, 2005 Maryland

I usually use none. I prefer to brew pale ales and I don't like them too chewy. My typical grain bill is 8-10# of 2-row.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!