Of Tykes and Taprooms: Do Kids Belong in Breweries?

Discussion in 'Article Comments' started by BeerAdvocate, Sep 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RKP1967

RKP1967 Disciple (320) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

Who gets to define whether their business is an "adult establishment," you, or the business owner?

2. upsbeernut

upsbeernut Aspirant (281) Sep 22, 2011 Georgia

No kids please. You have to drive home and some people mind your business and let you know right away. Breweries would have to have a separate playground cause some would sit there and watch you drink or get fussy. I would say set aside a time or certain hours for them or

3. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,108) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

If it gets crowded with folks drinking beer and partying, and there is no table service, and there are pretzels and no other food, and no games, and no signs that say anything about kids welcome, and it is after six oclock in the evening, I consider it in a different way than I do going to the local steak house, sitting down, and ordering a meal and a beer from a menu that has a kid's section. Don't you?

tone77 and NiceTaps like this.
  4. RKP1967

Your post is riddled with cliches that apply to your world that you think should be applied to the whole world.
    I'm a vegetarian, I don't go to steak houses. And I'd take my kid to any place that has food and/or drink and doesn't have strippers. My kid never liked any of the food on the kid's menu. And I'm pretty sure we live in a world where the default is kids are welcome. People shouldn't have to seek out signs saying "kids welcome." And my kid typically eats dinner at 7. Only senior citizens are done eating dinner by 6pm.

NiceTaps likes this.
  5. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,076) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

CD - no offense but you're being willfully blinkered here. Without rehashing our exact same exchange in the Controversial Opinions thread, I seem to remember making the following point last time, using specific breweries that are local-ish to both of us, that you agreed to:

Suarez - purposefully family-friendly. They have a young child. They strongly believe that a brewery should be a community focal/gathering point. They set hours that are specifically engineered to encourage families to come, and to discourage late night drinking and drunkenness. Since we had that exchange, they were featured on the good beer hunting podcast. it's a great (and long) listen for anyone interested.

https://www.goodbeerhunting.com/gbh-podcast/2018/8/22/ep-185-suarez

Other Half - unless you go right at opening on a weekday, it's really not a good place to bring kids. Weekends and evenings absolutely not. Industrial vibe, usually packed, blaring hip hop, heavy drinking etc. Despite it being a 10 min walk from my apartment I never take my kids there.

So my question. If cavedave wants an adult only beer, he can go to OH. If rozzom wants to take his wife and kids to an overtly family-oriented brewery, he can go to Suarez. Why can't these two concepts co-exist? There are options that cater to everyone without one person saying "no kids at breweries, period" and another saying "I want to take my kids to every brewery I feel like, period."

6. RKP1967

I agree that there are good times and bad times to take kids to breweries. Other Half, for example. Figure out when they're not so crowded...when they first open or late on a Sunday. We're from out of town but have taken our kid to OH when it wasn't so crowded. And go then. But that's my rule of thumb even if I didn't have kids. I hate crowds of adults acting immaturely, so I try to avoid the crowded times anywhere.

Also, it seems like people lump "kids" into one big pile. There's a big difference between a baby and a two year old. And between a two year old and a seven year old. And between a seven year old and an 11 year old. And between an 11 year old and a 16 year old.

7. cavedave

Society Trader

You are free to do what you want, when you want it, how you like to do it, as often as you like. I don't have to like it. That is how things are. Too bad if my not liking it is inconvenient, but honestly I don't care. We both have opinions, we speak them here, and we both don't have to like those opinions or convince others to change them.

frozyn, LeRose, rozzom and 1 other person like this.
  8. Todd

Todd Founder (6,716) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Like I wanted it to? I didn't want anything. Like I expected? Yes. But that's not a reason to lock it down.

9. BiddzzBA

BiddzzBA Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2018 North Carolina

Kids are fine. Dogs absolutely not.

10. Lahey

Lahey Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

Where are all these breweries with dogs in them? I didn't even think it was allowed by the health department where food or drink is served. Not that I don't believe you guys, but dogs are less than the last problem I have at breweries/taprooms/bars. Putting the wrong beers on nitro has been more of an issue. Dogs have been non existent, except two well behaved dogs at an outdoor drinking area one time.

BiddzzBA, beersgud and laketang like this.
  11. moshea

moshea Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan

11 pages for what amounts to it depends on the parents preference or the breweries rules

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  12. RKP1967

Pretty sure the dogs question depends on your state health department so what might be so in Michigan may not be so in another state.

Lahey likes this.
  13. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (10,026) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

We've got 14 breweries in my town, at least 9 of them allows dogs, in one manner or another. Only 2 are 21+.

meefmoff, Lahey and rozzom like this.
  14. rozzom

Trader

I get confused in NYC because not long ago there seemed to be some sort of crackdown. But AFAIK when there is food served = no dogs. No food = dogs allowed (that's assuming the business allows them as well)

Lahey likes this.
  15. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 Disciple (389) Apr 2, 2011 Maine
    Trader

Much of the problem with this "debate" is that the no-kids side is premised almost entirely on strawman arguments. Literally not one single person in this thread is saying "I want to take my kids to every brewery I feel like, period," yet many people are saying "no kids at breweries, period."

The anti-kids argument also seems premised around manufactured concern for the safety of other people's children, yet when it comes down to it, none of them can offer a remotely coherent argument as to: (a) why drinking beers in front of kids at a restaurant is fine but at a brewery it's not; (b) why children will be scarred for life by hearing adults possibly curse in a taproom yet not by the cursing that they hear at baseball games, other kids at school, etc.; or (c) why a parent having a beer and then driving is more dangerous than other adults having a beer and then driving on the same road. All of these arguments are basically cut from the same incoherent bullshit cloth.

What it really comes down to is this:

Some of you just don't like having kids around, no matter how well behaved. Which is fine, at least be honest about it like cavedave rather than dressing up your desire to exclude others from public places as some kind of concern about their wellbeing. You don't give a shit about my kids anymore than I give a shit if being in the same room with my them kills your vibe.

So long as breweries intentionally cultivate a welcoming family atmosphere, I will continue to bring my well-behaved children to family friendly breweries during age appropriate times, and you can choose to either let that bother you or not. Seems like wasted energy to me, but you do you.

16. rozzom

Trader

That's a second person in here with a teleportation device. Where do I buy? Do you have to show proof of no offspring to be allowed one?

beersgud, FBarber and BBThunderbolt like this.
  17. rozzom

Trader

100% with you. I just had to pander a bit to @cavedave to really sink my point home

rightcoast7 likes this.
  18. sculls65

sculls65 Aspirant (260) Dec 15, 2008 Michigan

Somebody please find this guy a safe space:rolling_eyes:

19. NYR-Zuuuuc

NYR-Zuuuuc Devotee (418) Jan 1, 2013 Connecticut

Two quick stories on kids and dogs in Breweries. Take them for what they are worth.

I am at a popular brewery in Canton MA. they have an area where you purchase cans in the back. It has a little corral you walk through much like getting on a ride at an amusement park. The two people in front of me have dogs on leashes. At some point the dogs decide to attack each other so violently I end up tangled up in the leashes with my hands on the ground to keep my balance. After untangling the whole thing not only did EITHER dog owner ask if i was OK, they didn't even apologize. Great time.

Second one was a brewery in New Hampshire. It was a perfect spring night and they have cornhole boards outside in the beer garden. So we went outside to see if we could play a few games. They have two sets of boards outside. Out there in that area are about 6-8 kids, ages maybe 3 - 10. Throwing the bags up in the air, at each other, Jumping up and down on the boards, sliding on them like a sliding board. So we ask can we play after they are done, hoping maybe a parent will see we want to play and maybe get the kids on to one set so we can use the other. No parent seems to be paying attention to maybe help the process. After a few minutes we just gave up and went back inside.

Not saying these are common occurrences, and I think dogs and kids in taprooms is a decision for the individual place, and I have no problem with either, but things like this may shape peoples views on the topic.

20. RKP1967

I believe this is what is commonly referred to as anecdotal evidence.

NYR-Zuuuuc likes this.
  21. BiddzzBA

BiddzzBA Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2018 North Carolina

All boils down to the parent/dog owners being irresponsible in these cases...and that should not be tolerated in any public place. As far as the kids in breweries, I have no problem if the parent is responsible. Dogs, on the other hand, have no place in a brewery regardless of the owners level of responsibility. Fur and slobber flying, parasites and general nastiness should not be in the same room as folks are eating or drinking in. Hopefully the aforementioned nastiness is very rare in kids...lol.

22. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

I've never seen a full-on dog fight before(sometimes I've seen them too playfully "fighting"), but that story about the kids is all too common.

I was at a local brewery last night, with an outdoor beer garden, that includes a childs play area. They also have a bunch of hula-hoops for folks to use. One girl, maybe 7-8, had dragged all of them (12-15) out into the alley next to the garden, all piled up, except for the one she was actually using. Sure enough, a car comes down the alley, girl gets out of the way, but leaves the pile hoops right where they are. Car drives over them.

Maybe this is why we can't have nice things.

rozzom and NYR-Zuuuuc like this.
  23. RKP1967

What "folks" over the age of eight play with hula hoops?

24. Celtics76

Celtics76 Crusader (789) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

This Canton brewery (hint: rhymes with Brillium) has had some epic dog standoffs. I've witnessed a couple while waiting in line for cans. What's funny is the dog owners always try to play it casual like it's no big deal. Entertaining to say the least, as long as I'm not in the middle of it.

BBThunderbolt and rozzom like this.
  25. rozzom

Trader

Saying “Canton brewery” is like saying “New England football team” as far as succeeding in non-disclosure of the actual name

meefmoff, FBarber, frozyn and 4 others like this.
  26. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

The cute college girls who come to listen to bands at night. :wink:

As I noted upthread, the same facility can fill several different roles over the course of one business day.

LeRose and rozzom like this.
  27. rozzom

Trader

@beertunes spinning a hula hoop round his middle is definitely not something any child should see

Seriously though @NYR-Zuuuuc @beertunes that stuff would annoy the shit out of me too. But is that like a kid thing or a people-in-general thing? There is an adult-only place near me that has cornhole. Several times I've waited to play and some big group of people will hoard them, without paying any attention to the others hanging about to play. If the parents/kids were more considerate in your case, or the adults were in mine, then there would have been no issue. I do get it though that with kids there's an extra layer of complexity - you can tell another adult to hurry up, but not quite so easy with a kid. That parent who didn't seem to be paying attention may quickly jump on you for suggesting directly to little Johnny that it's time for him to jog on

28. egrandfield

egrandfield Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2018 Massachusetts

Very thoughtful article. As @NeroFiddled says, "they mentioned the way alcohol is stigmatized in American society, and that hiding it is not an answer, and thus I think kids should see adults enjoying alcohol and behaving properly". I think there's no harm in showing children (during appropriate hours) life in the real world, outside of more sheltered realms. Seeing adults acting responsibly with alcohol is important because it reduces the stigma sometimes associated with social alcohol use. That said, as a single man without children, I would find it strange if a brewery open til 2AM allowed parents to bring their children in after say 10/10:30PM. I think it's pretty universal that past bedtime are the adult hours.

29. beersgud

beersgud Initiate (194) Jan 31, 2014 Kansas

While they may not be explicitly saying, “I think I should be able to take my kids to any brewery I want”, there are plenty of parents in this discussion implying that is how they feel. When someone says, “I refuse to give my business to a brewery that won’t allow my kids” they are basically implying they think they should be able to take their kids to any brewery they want to.

cavedave, BiddzzBA, Lahey and 2 others like this.
  30. Robertparker

Robertparker Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2011 Mississippi

Lets just agree to leave day drinking to families. You people without kids can have the bar/brewery after 6. Obnoxiously drunk people shouldn't be out early and kiddos shouldn't be out late.

beersgud likes this.
  31. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

I can't drink all day if I don't start in the morning!

nc41, Dragginballs76, Lahey and 2 others like this.
  32. Lahey

Lahey Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

No-no, we obnoxiously drunk, goalless alcoholics need happy hour too. Y'all well-groomed, rich, better than everyone parents can get your alcohol at communion and chucky cheese.
    (Sarcasm fighting fesicious points, aren't we all clever)

33. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,321) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

The anger and imagery aspects of that post are nearly perfect.

nc41 and rozzom like this.
  34. NiceTaps

NiceTaps Poo-Bah (1,983) Nov 21, 2011 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Talk about clichés! I can't name any seniors who I know that are finished their dinner by 6pm.:rolling_eyes::grin:

Any how, back on topic: Kids make everything better IMHO. (Yes, there's an endless list of exceptions, I know. Context...)

There's a brewery near me that isn't, due to size and layout, kid safe. That's a concern. Otherwise, if mom or dad or both stop in for a beer with the kids in tow, I'm all for it.
    As far as behavior goes, the optimist in me sees lots of good parenting skills in public.

I've noticed that family visits to breweries tend to be short and sweet. Beer-to-go or perhaps a draft as well before moving on.

I'd much rather share the space with a human being, while accompanied by a guardian, than a live animal.

rozzom likes this.
  35. readyski

readyski Defender (606) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Society Trader

I have no problems with either kids or dogs as long as neither slow down my bender :grimacing::astonished::wink:

36. cavedave

Society Trader

Please don't tell me how to raise my children. Being out late is a good experience for kids to see how the stay out late drinking adult crowd acts, which is important to learn as early as possible. Besides, I am sure it isn't harmful to the children. Any adults who don't like it, sorry, free country. If the brewery didn't welcome and expect me to bring my kids to late night parties at the tap room they would put a sign over the door saying so.

Yes, sarcasm.

Lahey, nc41 and BBThunderbolt like this.
  37. billydrinksbeer

billydrinksbeer Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2017 Colorado

I hate it, I drink because I love beer and being intoxicated. Don't feel comfortable doing that around children. I also curse like a sailor. Leave them home please

Lahey and nc41 like this.
  38. billydrinksbeer

billydrinksbeer Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2017 Colorado

PLEASE let this be sarcasm

Lahey, nc41 and BBThunderbolt like this.
  39. ExtraStout

ExtraStout Defender (667) Feb 1, 2005 Massachusetts

Children should be allowed to take a brewery tour, with adult supervision, provided that adult is responsible enough to remove the child if they are a disruption. However, they don't belong in the tasting rooms at all.

billydrinksbeer likes this.
  40. ExtraStout

ExtraStout Defender (667) Feb 1, 2005 Massachusetts

I'm pretty sure it goes in the following order Miguel: Have kids first, then get fat, ugly, and old. You'll see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.