Of Tykes and Taprooms: Do Kids Belong in Breweries?

Discussion in 'Article Comments' started by BeerAdvocate, Sep 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdyone

birdyone Initiate (178) Jul 30, 2008 Maryland

I don't have a problem with kids in a brewery early in the day. I'm convinced young parents are a new brewery's life blood early on Saturday mornings. Just don't expect special allotments for the kids and recognize it's still effectively a bar. Oh, and if they nock my beer over. . . .

Zorro and GreenBayBA like this.
  2. Kappakoosh

Kappakoosh Disciple (314) Dec 26, 2013 Texas

I have 4 children from 2-10 yrs old. My wife and I frequent breweries and bring our children with us. We do recognize that not all of the patrons like children running around and screaming while they try to enjoy their pint. This being said we stick to a few rules.

1) If the pub has an outdoor section, that is where we will be. We figure if they are occupied outside with a football, playing with the next patrons dog or even sipping the brewery root beer... the outdoors make is less of an impact on noise and provides more space.

2) If they have food (food trucks seem to be pretty popular) we will bring them inside to eat and then leave after grub and a beer or two.

3) After dark, we leave. Some breweries already ask for no children after dinner time and we think that is a good way of allowing families the ability to partake and also allow others to enjoy with the children later.

If the brewery allows kids during the day, but its raining and the inside has no food....we don't go.

I figure these are descent rules to drink by, being thoughtful about it usually makes the whole experience worth it for all customers. My children are well behaved and don't bother anyone anyways, so maybe with kids are out of control it is different, but we haven't had any issues with ours being civil in public.

3. WhiteHart

WhiteHart Initiate (36) Apr 16, 2018 North Carolina

Your rules sound fairly reasonable but my bet is your assessment of your own kids is not universally shared. Parents are blind to transgressions in other patrons eyes. Same with dog owners. They are not nearly as well-behaved as you think they are.

4. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,893) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

And some patrons have unreasonable expectations for what a well-behaved child/dog should be like.

5. rozzom

rozzom Champion (835) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Most people lack full self-awareness in general. Kids/dogs are just an added layer. The beer geek with no dogs and no kids who wants to strike up a conversation with me about the beer I’m drinking is less interesting than he thinks he is.

My guess would be that yes there are no guarantees that @Kappakoosh ’s kids behave exactly in accordance with those rules 100% of the time, but I’m fairly confident that someone who has taken the time/effort to think about how they want their kids to behave, and has articulated them as he has, is probably fairly close to the 100% mark. The ones that are the problem are the ones who would never even think to consider all of the above in the first place.

6. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (157) Feb 13, 2018 New York

And you are likely not as well behaved as you find yourself to be. And your wife is probably annoying too, the way she snaps her gum and blames her farts on children

7. WhiteHart

WhiteHart Initiate (36) Apr 16, 2018 North Carolina

You should have stopped there.

Tripel_Threat and beertunes like this.
  8. Xanthophhyll

Xanthophhyll Initiate (28) Sep 25, 2017 Minnesota
    Trader

I was pretty ambivalent about it till tonight at 7pm. Went to a small taproom and there were kids running around everywhere. Parents chasing kids, kids running in and out of the single bathroom they had...... One appeared to be the offspring of one of the servers and evidently knew the person right behind me. So this kid literally wedged herself between the back of my chair and the person behind me and wouldn't leave. And the couple at the next table wasn't getting the message.....

So I'm now I'm just against it. Period. Which is a complete turn around from earlier.

EDIT: Might add this taproom is REALLY small.... And nothing for kids to do (and it is 30 degrees outside)

#528 Xanthophhyll, Oct 21, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    meanmutt, omlooper and FBarber like this.
  9. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 Disciple (330) Apr 2, 2011 Maine

I went to a tap room recently and there were a couple of super drunk dudes annoying the crap out of me. They were loud, obnoxious, and cursing a lot. One of them bumped into me repeatedly, causing my beer to spill and spilling his beer on me. He seemed oblivious to the situation.

I used to be ambivalent about adults in taprooms, but now I've decided I'm just against it. Period.

10. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,968) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I don't necessarily agree with this, I think some parents go the other way and are super sensitive to their children or pets behaving themselves. I suppose they feel like they're being judged because most do not bring either to a brewery, and I've never seen children or dogs causing any problems what so ever. Children in a bar no, children is a bar that has seperate seating for food is fine, children in a brewery or bar even with food after 6 I'd say no, I think nc has a law about times. The places around here that I go doesn't have guys or gals hunched over their beers slurping it up, growing up outside of Philly in the 80s every bar fit that description, most definately not kid friendly, you would have been asked to leave. But ups scale brew joints and breweries are the new wave and times change.

Dragginballs76, laketang and rozzom like this.
  11. MarshallBirdhouse

MarshallBirdhouse Devotee (436) Feb 19, 2013 South Carolina
    Trader

Went down to a local brewery in New Orleans one Saturday recently, saw they had a bouncy castle set up inside of the taproom, and then promptly left.

12. Effinwill

Effinwill Initiate (69) Dec 2, 2016 California

I’m thinking that my ideal tasting room would ban kids, dogs, millennials (aside from pleasant females), and anyone who thinks six “different” hazy ipas on the tap list is a good thing.

13. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,415) Sep 24, 2007 Kyrgyzstan
    Trader

FTFY. :wink:

14. Dragginballs76

Dragginballs76 Poo-Bah (2,515) Nov 13, 2015 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Sounds like you need to open a tap room!!

rudiecantfail likes this.
  15. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (553) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island

In a certain environment I think kids are a good part of the brewery experience, namely a farm or rural type of brewery where there is lots of room to run around, and during the daytime. In a crowded urban brewery in the evening, not only does it grate on the other patrons but a lot of the time the kids just want to be at home playing or watching a movie or anything else. Their internal clocks are a lot different than adults.

It used to be a lot more understandable dragging kids around late, as in my home state only 10-15 years ago there was literally one brewery in the state which distributed and there were several brewpubs which may or may not provide growlers to go. For a local craft beer fan that meant you had to drink on site to enjoy their beer for the most part. Nowadays with most breweries offering beer to go, more BYOB restaurants and craft options on tap, and in general proliferation of acceptable locations of beer consumption, there is not much of an excuse to drag a kid kicking and screaming just so you can go out and enjoy a pint at a taproom in the evening.

Plus I'm an adult and can't stand hanging out with a lot of the neckbeards at my locals, imagine how the kids feel!

16. JackDempsy

JackDempsy Initiate (171) Aug 12, 2013 Arizona

This is one thing that has exploded in our culture. Not only are children in breweries, they belly up to the bar with their loving parents. It is almost a requirement to have tykes literally running around you in a brewery and the number of booster seats and high-chairs out number the bar stools. I once had parent change their baby diaper on the counter in a tap-room right next to me - which did nothing for the aroma of the nice stout that I was drinking. They are even giving out crayons and coloring books as you walk into some establishments (next it will be playground equipment adjacent to the horseshoe spike). I am as OK with children in a brewery as I am with a baby screaming through a horror movie at the nearest cinema. I am a parent and grandparent and love my own - but sometimes you just need to get a babysitter.

17. JackDempsy

JackDempsy Initiate (171) Aug 12, 2013 Arizona

No reason why having children and dogs in a bar? I guess there must be some recreational activities or food for the tykes in the establishments you frequent, or is it appropriate to just tell them to sit still and watch me drink?

18. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,893) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

It sounds like the establishments you frequent have some recreational activities and food for the tykes ...
    Oh and if you read through this thread, you'll see that there are breweries with playground equipment next too the horseshoes.

Dragginballs76 and rozzom like this.
  19. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Meyvn (1,486) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska
    Trader

Plus those of us that have expectations for our children will typically leave in the instances where said children are being children and not acting well-behaved 100% of the time.

As a parent, I don’t fault other people for children (and pets) or their adult friends, even, for having lapses in behavior. What I fault them for is how they choose to handle it. And I would expect to be judged in the same way.

Dear god that is fucking disgusting and probably a health code violation.

There is no excuse for that kind of disregard for other people. If I was near or saw a parent do that, we would be having words immediately.

20. rozzom

rozzom Champion (835) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Exactly

As would I. But, as with all of the anecdotes being dropped in here from people on the anti-kids-in-breweries side, to me this supports the fact that some people are assholes, and has no bearing on whether kids should or should not be allowed in breweries. Especially if the incident occurred at one of the same places offering crayons and coloring books (ie actively soliciting the business of / welcoming families).

I mean does the fact I’ve witnessed someone vomiting in a taproom support the argument that overweight single males in the 25-35 age range shouldn’t be allowed in breweries?

Effinwill, Ericness, Bigrock and 5 others like this.
  21. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (546) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

AND there are many dogs and some kids that are more pleasant than some, certainly NOT most, of the self absorbed jerky beer geeks in some places. At least kids and dogs aren't drunk.

I find many of the arguments overrepresent the problem. Most places are in general welcoming to patrons (and kids) and the patrons, by and large, are accommodating. Seems places are interested in a welcoming environment and police the issues.

And agree that after dark, as far as bars and breweries, kids should be home.

22. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Crusader (744) May 5, 2015 Illinois
    Society

Anyone under 25 should be banished after 6:00 pm, unless accompanied by a responsible adult.

23. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,331) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Unless she is my driver.

24. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (2,618) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

As a dad with a bunch of rugrats in tow, these are perfect rules, and ones we go by, too.

Kappakoosh likes this.
  25. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (2,618) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

Some of us are actually harder on our kids because we're trying to teach them not to be jackasses in public.

*stage whispers: I agree with you about dog owners *

Reema, Kappakoosh and FBarber like this.
  26. Kappakoosh

Kappakoosh Disciple (314) Dec 26, 2013 Texas

I beat my children, believe me they do behave :slight_smile:

27. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (6,345) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Well, I read through all 14 pages and this thread was pretty much as expected.

My take is that there's a happy medium in there somewhere. Some places can cater to families during daytime hours, other places can cater to the adults-only crowd, and market forces will probably work themselves out.

Ha! If reproducing actually took planning or skill, the world would be a lot better of a place.

And contrary to your thinking, us DINKs are laughing all the way to bank and enjoying our free time, trips to breweries, good restaurants, and travel.

But it obviously happens enough to shape and form people's opinions.

Stout_Sabre, beertunes and rozzom like this.
  28. joberlander

joberlander Disciple (334) May 30, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I think this is perfect. If this is how all parents were, I'd be totally fine with kids in breweries, unfortunately I'd say this is an abnormality in my area. I do commend you on being good parents thought.

One thing I really can't stand is kids playing with games intended for adults. The amount of times I've been in the middle of a game of cornhole where a child walks up and grabs bags and wants to play is insane and you get the same stupid laugh from the parents like "haha kids or so funny right?". Nope, they just suck.

29. rgordon

rgordon Savant (982) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

What you describe does not happen here.Our local culture is rather modest. I took my kids to a local brewpub fairly often and especially on snow days. We always had a great time. This was the 90s, but it is still very much the same. I would not subject my fine Walker Hounds to a nutty public. They have their limits.

Squire likes this.
  30. hottenot

hottenot Aspirant (250) Aug 13, 2018 North Carolina
    Society

I was roped into going to a Chuck up Cheese once. Was miserable food terrible, loud kids...then to my astonishment, They served beer at the Cheezer and alls well that ends well I suppose . I was able to tune the kids out after a couple pitchers of whatever.

tzieser likes this.
  31. nc41

Trader

I think there’s a big difference between brewery pubs and bars, pubs are cool, bars really not so much it really depends on the bar. I’ve got no problem with kids or dogs, love both, and drinking a few beers isn’t exactly serious business I find both less obnoxious than watching bad sports on tv.

jeebeel, Pasearelli and VoxRationis like this.
  32. VoxRationis

VoxRationis Poo-Bah (1,850) Dec 11, 2016 New York
    Society Trader

Children (and pets) that are well-behaved should be welcome. I have observed that they can actually add to the ambience of the place. Children (and pets) that are badly behaved are not welcome. And let me emphasize that their parents/guardians/minders should NOT have to be asked to remove them from the premises. It's just common courtesy and decency.

My grandfather used to bring me to the local pub (with saw dust on the floor) when I was a kid in Brooklyn, the bartender would give me a bottomless soda, and I would sit quietly listening to the adults talk about work, politics, their families, etc. I loved it -- it made me feel grown up and it was our little secret.

Unfortunately, he made the mistake of bringing my younger cousin once, who proceeded to make a fuss, tattle on Grandpa about "going into a bar (my grandparents were young people during Prohibition)", and (thankfully) never brought back again. The secret survived. Kids are fine: lighten up. Res ipse loquitur.

HopBelT, Buckeye55, beergoot and 6 others like this.
  33. nc41

Trader

Surprising how many police calls a Chuckie Cheese can generate, a few were closed as a nuisance. Beer, kids and soccer moms and dads apparently can be a problem. Popped up on my FB page a year ago or so.

34. VoxRationis

Society Trader

So true.

35. Pasearelli

Pasearelli Initiate (145) Mar 1, 2015 California
    Trader

What about well behaved adults? Where is the courtesy in removing themselves if they are misbehaving? This should be a rule for anyone at any place of business.

Soneast, Junior and VoxRationis like this.
  36. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,604) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

What is the ettiquette for a patron who has an allergy to dogs and a dog owner comes in with a dog?

What is the ettiquette for a dog owner walking in to a place not knowing if there are any folks with dog allergies?

Is the answer that folks with dog allergies should be limited to going to places that don't allow dogs? If so, it seems like many people on this thread advocate allowing non paying dogs at (presumably all) beer tap rooms and pubs, and not allowing paying customers with dog allergies to those places.

Is there some other answer? I personally have never heard a dog owner ask if anyone has an allergy, but maybe it happens all the time and I just never have heard it.

Buckeye55, 2ellas, eppCOS and 4 others like this.
  37. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,796) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Kids do belong in taprooms. I usually stay in the car and send them in to pick up crowlers for me. Sometimes if there are dogs inside they get distracted and I have to go get them.

38. Mindcrime1000

Mindcrime1000 Champion (855) Apr 30, 2016 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I waited tables and tended bar in a popular sports bar/restaurant for years, and also tended bar in a traditional local watering hole and gradually developed a set of "rules" in my mind:

Bar--no kids ever

Bar/restaurant--Kids ok until about 8-9 pm, when the "adults" start needing supervision.

Taprooms seem to fit the second category--mostly because of the bad example some of the adults might start setting at a certain hour, as opposed to the kids being a pain. That said, if the taproom/brewery keeps things in line, I'm pretty agnostic about it.

39. VoxRationis

Society Trader

The thread is about kids. If you are not allergic to them, you are probably okay.

But my guess is there are somewhere between 1000 and 10,000 times more dog enthusiasts than people who have truly serious dog allergies, so allowing dogs in breweries is a good business decision on the part of the owners.

Dog allergies are usually characterized by little more than a runny nose, sniffles, and perhaps a few hives. And usually that requires that you made physical contact with the dog by petting it, thus getting their dander or body oils on your hand, and then made contact with your own mucus membranes by rubbing your eyes. As a cat allergy sufferer, that is something you simply do not do, if you have any common sense at all.

But, if you are so allergic to dogs that you cannot be in their presence without having a more severe reaction than that, like anaphylaxis, then you are almost certainly on the look out for situations where dogs are around without having to be asked by the owner. Ettiquette dictates that dog owners don't need to go person to person asking for permission to have a dog where they are allowed, because ... well, they're allowed.

And if you simply like making a fuss about dogs because you don't like them or because you like the attention associated with making a fuss, then that's on you. And that's usually what the whole dog allergy thing is actually about, which is why those people get put off planes and dogs are allowed in many breweries.

Woodrow, Buckeye55, meb3476 and 4 others like this.
  40. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Disciple (390) Jan 20, 2014 Ohio
    Society

Wow... four months on mothballs. “Cancel my subscription to the resurrection.”

tzieser, meefmoff and dennis3951 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.