1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Of Tykes and Taprooms: Do Kids Belong in Breweries?

Discussion in 'Article Comments' started by BeerAdvocate, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (82) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

This comment coupled with your avatar...comedy gold.
    "Tonight...YOU!"

oneeye and BruChef like this.
  2. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Defender (694) May 5, 2015 Illinois
    Society

One of my fondest memories growing up. Once a month in the summer by parents would get together with my dad's siblings, spouses and my cousins and go to Seibens Brewery in Chicago. They had a huge outdoor beer garden, green painted picnic tables, good root beer, hot pretzels and mustard. The waitresses wore German beer hall outfits and carried 3-4 steins in each had. Great memories. Im really dating myself......had to be in the 50's.

TrojanRB, VoxRationis and Ahonky like this.
  3. 2ellas

2ellas Devotee (466) Feb 20, 2014 New Hampshire

I'm not sure if you understand that just because something is a stereotype doesn't mean it's not accurate occasionally. I also think that experiences are one of the main ways that people form their iron clad stances on issues. That's kind of the point of starting these threads too. The bottom line is that if your kid or dog will negatively impact someone else's experience, they should not be there. That

officerbill and William_Navidson like this.
  4. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,523) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Being honest? Going home first and leaving the dog before going to the pub doesn't really seem like a big deal.

I always had a beer for me and plenty water for the dogs and me when we went to the park, though. So, of course, my opinion is from that perspective. I admit I might feel differently if we were that thirsty and just outside the pub on the walk/drive home.

5. montman

montman Disciple (382) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

haha, not sure how you came to that conclusion, I'm not sure if you understood my point. Of course that's possible/occurs.
    Agreed, the parents/owners have to be responsible and aware.

#605 montman, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    2ellas likes this.
  6. rgordon

rgordon Savant (909) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Dale, my big ol' Walker Hound Otis would be a big hit anywhere. He's the smartest and coolest dog I've ever had .I've had goldens, labs, shepherds, and everything in between and will never not have a dog. Taking Otis to a bar or brewery would be too much for his sensory gifts.

beertunes likes this.
  7. Dan_K

Dan_K Devotee (498) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

I guess you are saying your parents made a horrible decision by having you?
    Breweries are not adult establishments. They are not bars and they are not gentlemen's clubs.
    Babysitters are expensive and hard to find. A lot of teens these days can't be bothered to do anything productive and have little need of money. And you can't usually get a babysitter on a moment's notice.

8. lastmango

lastmango Crusader (758) Dec 11, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society

Agree that kids should be welcome if behaved. I was always responsible for my kids in restaurants and they were well behaved because we told them as soon as they started to bother anyone . . . we were out of there. People use to come over and praise us. (Confession Alert: Stopped drinking for 14 years while kids were growing up so they did not get the experience I did as a kid.) Growing up as a kid, my father let us come in most times. I sat at the table with my brothers with a bag of peanuts and a root beer. If I was lucky . . . I got a Slim Jim and was allowed to watch others play pin ball or shuffle board. :slight_smile:

beertunes and VoxRationis like this.
  9. joedodger

joedodger Initiate (47) May 6, 2008 Michigan

Concur. Have "participated" with said parent/dog owner. Said pet/child left behind an unpleasant "gift' for the business, much to my own ignorance (I did not known the gift was placed under the table...) until hours later... Please, parents, PLEASE, leave for prodigy behind when going to a bar/bar representing as a restaurant-for-your-particular-place-in-the-world. PLEASE. Those of us who choose to be adults in an adult establishment would certainly respect (AND enjoy) your decision to leave your children/dogs elsewhere. You know, like back in the day when that was respected (and dare I sat respected????????????). Please, let adult be adults and kids/pets be themselves, in a different world. Please?

10. Lonestar9

Lonestar9 Initiate (177) Apr 27, 2008 South Carolina
    Trader

Yeah, no. My children are well behaved and not a problem to bring them to a brewery. They won’t run around unless there’s a place to do so and they won’t even talk to you. I won’t hang out there for hours though, and I won’t take them there after 7.

nc41, maximum12 and FBarber like this.
  11. joedodger

joedodger Initiate (47) May 6, 2008 Michigan

You made some (possibly difficult) decisions about being an adult, I'd somehow conclude. Don't blame others for your life choices and don't force those decision upon us all. Many of my friends did just fine by not ever being in an establishment before reaching legal drinking adult age. Drink what you like.

12. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,692) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Well I guess this thread is somehow still going strong ... :rolling_eyes:

You say "concur" yet, you clearly haven't read any of my other posts in this thread ...

If I'm understanding your post correctly, you had a run in with an asshole. Pretty sure we've all had a run in with an asshole in our life in various settings. That sucks. This anecdote does not mean all parents are assholes.

I've said it in here before, but I'll say it again for you since you quoted my post. There is a time and a place for everything, including kids in a restaurant/taproom/pub/etc. Lots of factors go into that decision on my end. And while not every parent will use the same decision making process or reach the same conclusions - what they all should do is do their best to live at peace with others and being good people towards others.
    Gonna go out on a limb here and point out that there are a few shades in between me taking my kids to a public restaurant/pub/taproom that you happen to also be at and me forcing you to inseminate an egg, have, and raise a child ...

but I do agree - drink what you like! Cheers!

Edit: Shit ... did I feed troll?

13. stevepat

stevepat Zealot (526) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

No but you might have offended the puritans on here that believe no one under 21 should ever witness the imbibing of alcohol or possibly riled up the group that consistently mistakes breweries for strip clubs and dive bars.

14. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Devotee (473) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa
    Trader

So . . .what are the rules on kids in strip clubs? If my kids are quiet, is it ok?

Similar question for dogs.

15. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (4,017) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

Back in the good old days...that never existed...

I spent plenty of evenings in a real bar with my parents, especially my dad, when I was young, back in the 80s. There were often other kids there too. And if you go anyplace rural, kids are as common as Reba on the jukebox. Perhaps it was different wherever you grew up, but my parents were poor, & getting a babysitter every time they wanted to go out & have a drink together wasn't in the cards.

16. rgordon

Exactly. My Dad used to take me for a hot dog and soda at this place called The Longbranch. after mowing the grass. This was about 1957. There was a Budweiser poster on the wall depicting Custer's Last Stand. As a young boy it fascinated me. Fast forward to the 90s and The Longbranch is still alive and well. Sure enough, that poster was still on the wall. I drank a bottle of Schlitz in my Dad's honor and memory. The Longbranch is still alive.

#616 rgordon, Apr 15, 2019 at 4:13 PM
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 4:23 PM
  17. stevepat

Trader

If your kid is well behaved AND they have chicken wings then it's fine to bring them in for lunch or early dinner

18. FBarber

Society Trader

bone-in or boneless?

19. stevepat

Trader

I'm not sure why but I feel like that question is where the jokes about kids in strip clubs crosses a line

20. Dan_K

Dan_K Devotee (498) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

Imagine the audacity of some people dictating how others should live their lives. Have kids? You must follow MY rules for the next 20+ years of your life. I cannot abide by others living differently than I want them to. I cannot have MY life experience compromised by children or parents.

beertunes, Dragginballs76 and rgordon like this.
  21. rgordon

In my family we have an aversion to the concept of and word should.

Dan_K likes this.
  22. officerbill

officerbill Initiate (196) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

Call it whatever it a brew pub, tap room, whatever you want; essentially it's a bar, albeit one with a limited selection.
    It's like parents who bring toddlers to the movie theater or infants on airplanes.
    If you're visiting for a meal and a couple of beers, fine bring your kids. If you're planning on spending a few hours sampling the brews, leave the kids at home.
    Sitting in a bar isn't spending “quality time”.

William_Navidson likes this.
  23. FBarber

Society Trader

The wings man! the wings! Get your mind outta the gutter ... :stuck_out_tongue:
    Now there's a real can of worms to open...

beertunes, officerbill and stevepat like this.
  24. officerbill

Society Trader

Care to provide the post # for that statement?

No one has said anything like that; in fact the consensus send to be “if you're coming to eat food, bring the kids; if you're coming to drink beer, leave the kids home”.

25. surfcaster

surfcaster Crusader (795) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Quite a selfish and myopic view.

Many breweries are intentionally marketing themselves as FAMILY establishments with play areas, activities, ect--certainly at least for much of the day.

The vehement protests, IMO, are from that group of individuals that think that the world revolves around their view that every dollar they spend, every experience they have has to be just that perfect way they want it without regard for others.

Go somewhere else--let your dollars show your preference.

An overstated "problem."

Dan_K, rightcoast7, Soneast and 2 others like this.
  26. kdb150

kdb150 Devotee (434) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

What is it that people are worried a kid is going to do? How do these people manage going out in public if even the sight of a child is so intolerable?

beertunes, montman, maximum12 and 2 others like this.
  27. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,283) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Full disclosure: I’m biased. But the staff loves my kids, we keep them entertained/quiet, and if they have a meltdown, we go outside.

beertunes, Lonestar9, Squire and 8 others like this.
  28. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,735) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Not even in the same hemisphere, not at all a pertinent analogy.

mambossa and TrojanRB like this.
  29. cavedave

Trader

Dogs probably complete the self image of the people who bring them in a way that merely being themselves doesn't accomplish. Ya know? I am a dog owner, and here is my dog, ahoy fellow dog owners, I am a dog owner with my dog, and I am here.

I have had dogs my whole life (until my best friend, a chocolate Lab, passed nine years ago, will never have another). I have known dog owners my entire life. Some of them are the kind of people who convince themselves that dogs love to sit on the floor, leashed, in a strange place surrounded by strangers until master is ready to leave.

Hmmm, there are nudist groups that live a life style without clothing that includes the children. I hung out for a week with some of them down the beach on Isla de la Piedra in Mexico many years ago. Wonderful people. Seemed perfectly natural. Is that bad too?

Or is it that they serve alcohol in strip clubs? Oh wait, that shouldn't be a problem, right? I hear they serve wings. Isn't it good for the kids to be comfortable with nudity, sexuality, and drinking alcohol as early as possible? I know most (all?) strip clubs don't allow children, but if they did would bringing kids be wrong? Or would it lead to healthy feelings about sexuality and nudity, in the same way many folks here think exposure to adult situations with alcohol at adult establishments leads children to develop healthy attitudes about alcohol?

Not in the same hemisphere? To me that analogy is right across the street. What exactly is it that makes it not at all a pertinent analogy?

beertunes likes this.
  30. rgordon

I've visited Black's Beach as a young fellow. Naked people were everywhere. I was a bit modest except for my eyes. Years ago on Mykonos we walked around to Paradise Beach and it's still the most beautiful place I've ever been........
    I'm a Quaker mostly, but is there the muster amongst us to help raise money for Notre Dame?

cavedave likes this.
  31. officerbill

Society Trader

No problem as long as your son uses his own allowance and your daughter splits her ”tips".

beertunes and Squire like this.
  32. kdb150

Strip clubs often involve tobacco smoke, loud music, and sexual contact. Nothing wrong with kids being exposed to nudity, but I'm not sure my 4 and 2 year old kids are quite ready to witness a nude woman grinding on a man's lap. Certainly not in an atmosphere that is bad for their lungs and/or hearing.

In other words, the nudity itself is not a problematic aspect of a strip club. Lots of other things going on that make it a hostile environment for kids - which is why such clubs do not allow kids inside. That's nothing like your typical brewery taproom experience. It's a bad analogy.

stevepat and Dan_K like this.
  33. cavedave

Trader

That smoking thing is bogus, as I'm sure you know there is smoking (where it's allowed by mgt.) in bars and tap rooms in the localities that also allow it in strip joints, and no smoking in strip joints in the same localities it is is banned in tap rooms.

Believe it or not there are states, localities, and places that consider kids being around alcohol in adult establishments in exactly the same moralistic way you reveal you feel about human sexuality. My point is simply it is all about peoples morality clashing with other people's morality.

The reductio ad absurdum to the "let's bring kids to adult drinking establishments is" there is no harm in letting kids witness and be a part of adult drinking activities. The reductio ad absurdum of bringing kids to strip joints is there is nothing wrong with kids in strip joints since no harm can come from kids seeing nudity or sexuality. The analogy is spot on.

SuperWhip likes this.
  34. rgordon

Let's just say strip clubs suck. Years ago, on golf trips friends would take me to the titty bar. I hated it. I like real people near me.

35. kdb150

This is false, for two reasons.

For one, my state (Pennsylvania) permits establishments that derive less than 20% of their revenue from food to permit smoking at their discretion. Which means that bars which don't serve food are allowed to permit smoking. Which also means that many strip clubs are allowed to permit smoking, while most bars and taprooms are prohibited. I am sure there are other states where smoking bans operate such that smoking is not strictly banned in all establishments.

For another, many bars and taprooms in states where smoking is not banned will nevertheless not permit it in their taproom. Are people smoking in a taproom? Then sure, kids don't belong there. But surely you realize that it is more likely to find a strip club that permits smoking, versus a taproom that permits smoking, in places where it isn't banned.

It's not bogus at all.

The analogy is dumb because there is a lot more to strip clubs than nudity. The nudity is pretty much beside the point. You're right, there may not even be harm in children seeing adults engaging in sexual behavior, but to pretend that it's "just nudity" and can be reduced to that is disingenuous, to say the least. There is definitely harm in kids inhaling tobacco smoke. There is definitely harm in kids being exposed to loud club music.

It's also dumb because strip club owners themselves have decided children don't belong. Try taking a child to a strip club and see if they let you in. Taproom owners, on the other hand, have decided children are fine. If the two things are actually the same in your mind, why do the owners of the establishments not agree with you? Do you know better than the people in the industry?

#635 kdb150, Apr 16, 2019 at 4:32 PM
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 4:38 PM
    rightcoast7 and Dragginballs76 like this.
  36. rgordon

Even though you were one.........

Lonestar9, Squire and Dragginballs76 like this.
  37. mambossa

mambossa Initiate (141) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio

There’s definitely a difference between a healthy display of nudity that embraces acceptance and pride in one’s self, and a display of nudity that is objectifying women as an instrument for one’s own pleasure and nothing more.

I can’t tell any parent which one is better to expose their child to, but there’s clearly a wiser choice.

rgordon likes this.
  38. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Aspirant (246) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

I have always thought this....and I own a dog lol

39. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,735) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Nudity is one thing in the proper environment and girls swinging their tits and grinding on poles while guys salvate and shove dollar bills in the crack of their ass is a strange place to think suitable for a child. That’s so far removed from say a Sierra Nevada taproom that allows dogs on a leash and kids as one can get from a nudie bar. The crowd is usually much rougher too, it caters to the interested clientele. Been there done that, I’ve had a knife pulled on me, I’ve seen guys pull out guns, one of my friends was cut by a straight razor. They’re polar opposites.

40. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 Disciple (313) Apr 2, 2011 Maine

@cavedave knows all of this, he just persists in the ridiculous analogy because it suits his irrational narrative that taprooms are horrible dens of iniquity that should never see a child within 100 miles, and anyone (including the brewery owners) who disagrees is an entitled selfish ass who doesn’t care at all about their own children or anyone else in society. It’s a very odd and inflexible position from an otherwise seemingly reasonable dude. I’ve given up arguing with him, but feel free to carry on.

montman, ElmerLovejoy and stevepat like this.