Of Tykes and Taprooms: Do Kids Belong in Breweries?

Discussion in 'Article Comments' started by BeerAdvocate, Sep 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wrodaddy

wrodaddy Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2018 Illinois

I don't think kids should be allowed at a brewery, and biggest reason is children shouldn't be around that atmosphere and be influenced like that cause their parents "want a beer" if you have to be 21 to drink and enter a bar there shouldn't be anyone under the age of 21 there... from a kid who's parents were drunks and took them to bars... just not cool in my eyes... lets not forget what some of us "Adults" do at bars and how we act when were intoxicated. And if you notice most people on here are cool with kids being there "under the condition their behaved" just no.. not everyone pays attention to their kids or even parents them and let them do whatever.. even if a restaurant is there just no... i go to bars or brew pubs to get away from restaurants and people and their screaming kids.. just no

rudzud likes this.
  2. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,059) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Even though the thread/article is about breweries, you mention bars more than breweries.

So how about specifically breweries that state they allow children - you think you know better than the owners and that children shouldn’t be allowed despite the business saying they are?

3. wrodaddy

ok sorry BREWERIES for people who are going to dissect every word i say... this just my opinion, not all breweries have a restaurant and are just a bar.... so that's why i said bar... your drinking at the BAR section of the brewery... it isn't like there's tables behind the scenes where the tanks are where BREWING is happening ... the bar is the section of the brewery that is serving you beer.... hence why i said BAR ... and no i don't know better than the brewers they can do what they want its their business, they can cook meth and serve it to people for all i care... but in MY OPINION if you have to be 21 to enter a bar, brewery what you have it then no they shouldn't ... and forget whats the percentage of breweries that are labeling themselves as "family friendly" if your advertising that then shit go right ahead.... i just wont be there when people kids are screaming or they can't control them... you don't see me going to playground pushing kids around chugging beers do you acting like a drunk asshole? no you don't ... there's a time and place for things.. especially where the theme of the place is alcohol and people are going to be intoxicated maybe acting a fool themselves... you want your kids around that go ahead your kids im not gunna tell you how to raise them

4. jjamadorphd

jjamadorphd Poo-Bah (2,014) Jul 21, 2012 Florida
    Society Trader

Shoot, as long as the kids are not let loose on the establishment - running rampant and such - I don’t care if a parent brings one or 10. As in a restaurant kids should be allowed to come but then it’s the parent’s responsibility to watch over them. The moment a kid is running around and going from cute to just a plain menace - all bets are off. Call over the staff and ask them to take care of the problem - commen sense and simple decency dictates...

rudzud likes this.
  5. rozzom

Trader

But that’s the point right? In the instances where specific breweries allow kids, you don’t have to be 21 to enter (by definition). Just 21 to drink.

jbakajust1 and BBThunderbolt like this.
  6. wrodaddy

well then again ur too broad... ppl under 21 with parental supervision are allowed... not like some 10 year old or someone under 21 gunna walk into a brewery by themselves and sit down to hang out.... like i said ppl can do what they want.. i just dont think that's appropriate .. same with dogs... some people are allergic and its just unsanitary .... what if they shit and piss everywhere? bet no ones cleaning that besides the people at the brewery.... i love kids and pets but again there's a time and place for stuff... and again your business you do what you want thats just my two cents.. and if people share my same opinion that i do and im sure reading this thread there is alot and theres alot that dont but not my fault if your company looses business if people arnt cool with that ... have a "dog friendly" or "kid friendly" then go ahead...again just my two cents

7. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (12,253) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

I'm good with kids in Breweries. I just think you need to think it through. They may see or hear things you don't think they are ready to. But these days that could happen anywhere. If my kids misbehaved anywhere, it was time to leave regardless of where we were.

If a place bars kids that's fine, that's a business choice. I will repsect it, but may lose some future patronage from me as there are plenty that do accept kids.

Dragginballs76 likes this.
  8. Quackershnoc

Quackershnoc Aspirant (236) Nov 7, 2012 Michigan

If good behavior is a prerequisite to coming to the brewery, I know plenty of adults that ought to be barred from breweries as well.

That said, I don't have kids of my own. I do however, have nieces and nephews. They are awesome and I love spending time with them. I always enjoy it when they come along with us, wherever we happen to be going. If we're at a brewery, it's up to us to make sure that the place is kid appropriate and that they don't bother other people. But that's up to us at the movies, the bus stop, and literally every other place we go. I guess I don't see why a brewery would be all that different.

9. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (504) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

None of what you say really matters at all. If a brewery - a privately owned establishment that is completely free to make its own rules about the admission of kids or dogs within the constraints of the law - decides they want kids and dogs then they have made a conscious decision that they prefer kids and dogs over you.

The end.

10. Pasearelli

Pasearelli Initiate (176) Mar 1, 2015 California
    Trader

Exactly my man!!!! They just hate cuz nobody craves their attention like they crave beer..... i love playing games with my kids at home and the brewery. Nothing is changing regardless of where i am, especially as a parent and beer lover. It's good for kids to learn how not to act regardless of the adults activities.

DWarholia likes this.
  11. Pasearelli

Trader

That being trump supporters would or wouldn't be pro kids since Trump would pretty much bang his daughter???? Just asking. Lol

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  12. Pasearelli

Trader

Aint that the truth!!!!

13. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,284) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

There are all kinds of places and all kinds of people. Personally, I only frequent places that are just plain friendly. I've made my points about kids, dogs, and establishments in theses threads multiple times. Go where you like to go, and where things suit you. Figuring these things out is not a very big challenge.

BBThunderbolt, Squire and Pasearelli like this.
  14. rozzom

Trader

What if an adult over 21 gets drunk and pukes everywhere. Who’s cleaning that up

I’ve never seen a dog shit/piss in a place they’re allowed. I’m sure anecdotally, someone will remember a time - but I don’t think it’s remotely a wholesale issue, like say, people getting drunk is.

BBThunderbolt and nc41 like this.
  15. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Red Oak has water bowls set up for the doggies and an area out back for them to do their business. People bring good dogs to breweries and bars not unruly dogs who are a bother for them or for others. I suspect if a guy does brings in an unruly dog he'll be asked to take him home, but I haven't seen that in any place that's been dog friendly, a bigger problem with Cowboy fans.

rozzom likes this.
  16. ChrisMon02

ChrisMon02 Meyvn (1,258) May 2, 2010 Ohio

My wife and I visited the new Fatheads production facility yesterday for lunch. We immediately noticed all of the families and young kids that where present. I am not kidding when I tell you it was like fucking romper room in there. Kids running around chasing toys while parents just sat around drinking beer and ignoring them. It was totally annoying and not necessary. Ruined what could have been a great visit. We will not go back for lunch again. We may try a late dinner but if it ends up being anything like yesterday's lunch, than we will simply find somewhere else to spend our $60.00.

rudzud and nc41 like this.
  17. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (275) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

There's a time and a place. Happy hour on a Friday when the place is packed and you decide to bring your two kids or two dogs. They take up bar stool and seat space for other paying customers. And generally they behave with coloring books or even toys. But it just feels out of place for them. I hear lots of cussing that they likely too hear.

Now a sautrday early afternoon when the place is more quiet? Heck yeah. Bring the kids. I love the vibe a new family brings to breweries generally but it's alot like airplanes. It's fine when they behave but more often than not, it's a lot of crying. Almost better to keep they away from everything until theyre 18. (joking. Showing responsible drinking is very important).

This one's tricky all around. You also have to know your brewery and their clientele. I was at a brewery/pub that does asmall assortment of food. There were maybe 15 tables with adults keeping to themselves. And then his father who has his 3 yr old kind of corraled into the corner as he's trying to wear him down. Child throws some pickles around and is generally a bit loud. Kind of changed the vibe from a chill place to a family restaurant.

I know some adults who can be louder than their surroundings. So it all boils down to just courtesy and etiquette.

rozzom likes this.
  18. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

That's the parents fault, it shouldn't be like that. If they have a contact system in place I'd drop them a note. It's well behaved children and dogs that are welcome not unruly or either. I'd tell them flat out if it's like that again I'll go elsewhere, if you feel like that there's others I'm sure.

19. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (5,279) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Society Trader

This has been brought up repeatedly by multiple posters.

"Being in a brewery is a bad influence on the kids yadda yadda..."

I spent plenty of time in a hard-core bar down the street with my parents when I was a pre-teen & other than the twitches, I turned out fine. This seems like the ultimate straw man. Anybody here been scarred by time spent in a brewpub/brewery when they were young?

20. rozzom

Trader

I grew up in the pub my parents ran. Other than a Tourette-like cursing habit I survived ok. S**t c**t f**k

21. VoxRationis

VoxRationis Poo-Bah (2,931) Dec 11, 2016 New York
    Society Trader

Again, for those challenged by reading the topic in its entirety and/or other people's posts, the thread is asking about children in breweries. Typically, breweries are offering tastings in an effort to promote their wares. I have visited perhaps two dozen of these over the last several years and, often, they have accepted children (and pets).

Children (and pets) that are well-behaved should be welcome. They are not impeding the enjoyment of anyone there. If you have reservations about their parents' willingness to expose them to drinking, you have to ask yourself, do you drink in front of your children and do you expose them to similar situations, e.g. with your friends. I have only observed that they can actually add to the friendliness and ambience of the place.

Children (and pets) that are badly behaved are clearly not, nor should be welcome. And to emphasize again, their parents/guardians/minders should NOT have to be asked to remove them from the premises. That is just common decency, which is something I acknowledge in increasingly in short supply in our culture of late.

My childhood predates the microbrew revolution. My children were adults by then. I was a child when the number of breweries in the US was basically involuting. But, if you truly find well behaved children as repugnant as some have claimed, that reflects more on you than on them.

#341 VoxRationis, Sep 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    nc41, beersgud and Dragginballs76 like this.
  22. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Aspirant (277) Nov 6, 2010 Canada (BC)
    Trader

I went to a brewery today and it was packed with kids. What a nusaince the kids were. Playing on the slide and the wheels turny thing. Eating ice cream. Looking at the farm animals. Laughing and smiling. Making friends with other kids. Oh, and dancing to the live music. Absolutely the worst. Why wouldn’t these parents take them somewhere they enjoyed being?

VoxRationis, rgordon, Soneast and 4 others like this.
  23. rozzom

Trader

The irony was not lost on me today when I went to a brewery and actually had to deal with some kids who were a pain in the ass (or rather their parents couldn’t have given less of a shit so the result was the kids acting up). So I’m sorry sweet baby jesus if I’ve been too self righteous in this thread - point taken.

But I still stand by my general sentiments around this issue.

24. lastmango

lastmango Champion (844) Dec 11, 2014 Pennsylvania

Perhaps some adults do not want the tykes around because they wish to behave in a manner they know is not appropriate for children. If that is true, then some adults probably do not care what the other adults think. I take the approach that civility should be the goal but I understand that some adults need to get away and act like jerks when drinking. I try to avoid those places. However, the owner sets the tone.

rozzom likes this.
  25. rozzom

Trader

I can 100% understand that. I guess my thought would be that when you’re in that type of mood, you go somewhere that doesn’t allow kids, vs going somewhere that does and then bitching about kids being there.

As you say, the owner sets the tone - the no-kids drinking hole type brewery is probably the better place to let loose than the family-oriented one.

lastmango likes this.
  26. GetTheYayo

GetTheYayo Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

Short answer.....no.

27. beersgud

beersgud Initiate (193) Jan 31, 2014 Kansas

Playing on the slide? Wheel turny things? Farm animals? I understand now why there is a misunderstanding here with such staunch rigidness on your part. The brewery you’re envisioning is clearly, by design, for your childrens’ entertainment as well as yours. Anyone who walked into that brewery would definitely be in the wrong to feel like children shouldn’t be there, and I completely understand where you’re coming from. You are aware, however, that the average brewery that most people are envisioning doesn’t have a fucking slide though right?

rudzud and Lare453 like this.
  28. beersgud

I’ve never seen someone puke everywhere at a brewery. I’m sure it has happened though.

29. mrmattosgood

Trader

Here’s the thing: Why the fuck would I bring my children a place at which they wouldn’t have anything to do? When my kids come with me to a brewery, it’s the breweries with games and family friendly atmospheres. I don’t take them to the cold, barren, bar-and-tanks brewery with nothing to do but watch me drink. Maybe I just live in a nice area, but there’s none of those near me. Tasting rooms in the northeast are open, welcoming spots. Maybe that’s not universal.

LeRose, meefmoff, Soneast and 5 others like this.
  30. beersgud

I don’t know why you would bring your kids somewhere where they wouldn’t have anything to do, and that’s precisely the point of the whole discussion. Most breweries are not like the ones you’re envisioning, and parents still bring their kids. I wish there were more around me like the ones you have described, I would definitely take my kids to a place like that.

Lare453 likes this.
  31. Lare453

Lare453 Meyvn (1,431) Feb 1, 2012 Florida
    Trader

Breweries can do what they want, but this thread is asking for opinions. This is mine, clearly you don’t like it, but I don’t really give a shit what you like or what your opinion is. Sooooooo.... guess that leaves us at a who the fuck cares stalemate.

The end end.

#351 Lare453, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  32. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,925) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

At least out here, most breweries are family friendly (to my personal chagrin), and the ones that aren't, are mostly due to space constraints.

As I mentioned waaaay back upthread, there are multiple ways to approach the subject, none of which are 100% correct, nor 100% mistaken.

I know, from personal experience, that the best brewery in my town is gonna be slammed, with families, 4-8pm on Fridays. I, and my non-child friends, generally don't go there then.

Shrug. Adapt or whine.

Dragginballs76 and rozzom like this.
  33. SSGCujo

SSGCujo Disciple (340) Jul 12, 2016 Wisconsin

I've been to breweries all over the country and sen the good and bad. I was at a brewery a couple years ago in tourist area of Wisconsin. It was a rainy day and the beer garden was closed so we had to drink inside with and almost equal amount of kids to adults. Not good! I had one beer and left. The place didn't serve food, either.
    I've also been to breweries during the day when kids were present, and did and didn't serve food. It wasn't a problem. I would think that there needs to be a cut-off time, 8 pm, when kids have to be gone. Breweries owners are the ones who have to decide. In Ohio, if the brewery doesn't serve food, no one under 21 can come in. Most kids now just play on their phone or gameboy anyway.

34. JohnW

JohnW Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2003 England

I personally do not even want to see kids in a pub let alone a brewery bar! I know here in UK pubs that serve food can or do allow children, but wish they didn't! OK if well behaved, but often get mothers with screaming kids in push chairs or left uncontrolled to run about causing chaos... hate it! Fortunately my favourite pubs in this area have a notice on the door "NO one under the age of 18 allowed!! " Wish all pubs had that! But I am old and grumpy!

rudzud and BBThunderbolt like this.
  35. RKP1967

RKP1967 Disciple (318) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

Can I just say that sometimes raising kids is freaking hard. Both on a person and on a marriage. And sometimes parents want to go out and have a beer or two (but not more) and to take in that incredible smell of hops you get when you walk into a brewery that you don't get sitting at home on your sofa. And sometimes you live far away from grandparents who you could drop the kids off with, or you can't get or can't afford a babysitter. And you're tired of doing outings that center on kid activities. So you want to have a brew or two at you local hophead heaven..So you pack up the kids and hope for the best.

Can't the non-parents in the world, who have chosen a less difficult life, have some empathy for the struggling modern hops loving parent?

NickTheGreat and Celtics76 like this.
  36. RKP1967

RKP1967 Disciple (318) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

Aren't you a good enough conversationalist that you could just sit down and talk to your kids for any hour while you have a beer or two? Maybe draw with them or tell stories? Or are you saying they need "games" because you're not interesting enough for them?

37. rozzom

Trader

Blue on blue!

38. miguel_loves_beer

miguel_loves_beer Initiate (46) Feb 7, 2017

AHAHAHAHA. Nailed it. Not reading any farther in this thread.

39. mrmattosgood

Trader

Ummm ... so this topic has devolved into a “maybe you need to be a better parent” thread. Interesting. It’s offensive to me that you speculated that I’m uninterested in talking to my children (or have an inability to do so). I’m a tremendous conversationalist. It’s actually what I do for work. And I’m good at what I do for work.

Not that I need to defend myself on that fact, but, yeah, I would love to sit and talk with my two and four year old children for an hour, but I have a two and a four year old. Both of whom are active and, on a Saturday, would rather do something that involves action than sit and talk with dad. We do enough of that all week long (and I can’t DM you our family “art wall” if you want).

FBarber, dbrauneis and beersgud like this.
  40. miguel_loves_beer

miguel_loves_beer Initiate (46) Feb 7, 2017

The anti-kid brigade is mostly made up of fat and/or ugly people who can't get married and therefore don't have kids. Nobody cares what you think.

Let's make a deal, you don't bring your sad, grotesque visage to the brewery on Saturday afternoons, and I won't bring my kids to your parent's cave of a basement where you sit at your computer and complain about people with better lives than your own.

RKP1967 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.