Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Official Fremont Brewing/Brouwer's 7th Anniversary beer (aka 575) thread

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by draheim, Apr 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. draheim

draheim Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

This beer has been discussed in numerous other threads, but since it's officially being released in a couple weeks I figured it deserves a thread of its own.

What we know so far:
    Style: English barleywine (bourbon barrel aged)
    ABV: 13.0%
    Release: Mid-April
    Label: Should be finished next week
    Description (from the FBC newsletter in February): "We brewed this 13% monster 16 months ago, aged half in bourbon barrels, blended it back with the un-barrel aged beer and then bottled and wax dipped it…waiting for when it was ready to release. The time is now. Marris Otter and Carafa malts combine with Magnum and Goldings hops to lure you into one more sip…22oz Bottle only."
    BA profile: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/20680/90397 (listing might need a name change once it's released)
    The lowdown: Some of us got to taste it on tap during the FBC open house event on February 23; effing delicious

What we don't know yet:
    Exact release date?
    How many cases?
    Price?
    Limits?
    Distribution?
    Other details?

Can't wait to grab a few of these. I hope I don't miss it as I'll likely be out of town, but knowing Fremont it will hang around for a few days (fingers crossed). Cheers!

2. distantmantra

distantmantra May 23, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

I thought 575 was pretty nice at the Open House. I was also informed at Open House that it is based on Old Snugglebunny, which I didn't care for last year during Tour de Pints.

3. waltersrj

waltersrj Dec 16, 2010 Washington

I am very much looking forward to this. I'd guess it'll hang around for awhile considering the 480 bottle Pine Box beer was around for a week or more...are there still bottles left? I grabbed 3 but wouldn't mind another 1or 2.

4. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Mar 2, 2008 Oregon

5. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Mar 9, 2008 Washington

I grabbed a bottle yesterday. I don't know how many were left.

6. waltersrj

Thank you kind sir. Hopefully I can run in tomorrow, grab a growler for the weekend and a bottle or two!

7. bgramer

bgramer Feb 10, 2006 Washington

draheim likes this.
  8. beefandbean22

beefandbean22 Oct 15, 2008 Washington
    Beer Trader

I'm assuming this is talking about the beer made by Flyer's for the Brouwer's anniversary.

9. bgramer

bgramer Feb 10, 2006 Washington

You're right - my bad. I should have double checked the taplist at the Bottleworks blog first.

10. Prufrockstar

Prufrockstar Jan 15, 2013 Washington

Can somebody explain the numbering scheme to me? I thought last year's was the HUB Brouwer's 6th anniversary. Brouwer's website is referring to its 8th anniversary and the Flyer's 8th anniversary strong scotch ale. Where does this Fremont offering fit in?

11. slinkie

slinkie Mar 4, 2011 Washington

I am also unclear on the numbering. :confused:

12. draheim

Beer Trader

First BA review of Brouwer's is dated April 8, 2005, which would make them 8 years old.
    But you're right, that is weird. I definitely remember having the 6th anniversary beer on tap @ Bottleworks, and that was like, 1 year ago. Actually it was in July.
    And I'm pretty sure I recall Texwild/Matt referring to this beer as Brouwer's 7th anniversary beer during the open house brewery tour in February.

13. waltersrj

I'm pretty good at math...if Flyer's has produced the 8th Anny beer and HUB did the 6th, and Fremont's is called "Brouwer's 7th" then I'd guess that since this sat in barrels for 16 months...it's just a little late to the party :)

14. draheim

Beer Trader

Good point. I'm not so good at math. And I also didn't notice that the earliest reviews of the 6th anniversary beer (HUB) are from May 2011.

I do remember Texwild/Matt saying something about the FBC beer (575) not being ready for release earlier, or something to that effect. Guess I didn't put 2 and 2 together at the time.

15. Texwild

Texwild May 1, 2008 Washington
    Beer Trader

It is the same beer and was meant to be released last year but it was not ready. So, we decided not to release it and missed the deadline this year for the anniversary. However, it is ready now, in our opinion, and will be released soon. Why release a beer if it is not ready? The Matts at Brouwers and Nat love beer and agreed that it is far better to wait for a beer to be ready than meet a deadline. The 575/Brouwers 7th Anniversary beer was brewed as a take on old British blond barley wines (inspired by Dick Cantwell's BA published Barleywine book) with Maris Otter floor malted barley and mild hopping rates. We then racked off half and aged it for 6 months in 15year old Heaven Hill bourbon barrels and then blended it all back together...and waited.

Thanks for caring in the first place. We have had a lot of fun with this beer and hope that it is appreciated for what it is.

16. CaptainQ

CaptainQ Feb 17, 2013 Washington

It's awesome Matt! Thank you!

17. podunkparte

podunkparte Nov 14, 2009 Washington

Matt, does Snugglebunny/575, and/or the Old Bridge Rider from Hardliver have anything in common? I understand 575 is the 1/2 barrel aged version of Snugglebunny, but does OBR have anything in common with either of them? Thanks

18. Texwild

Texwild May 1, 2008 Washington
    Beer Trader

Same beer...different age. Age is everything with a beer like this, that's why we waited. Think of eating an apple before it is finished growing and hitting its peak. Same with this beer...it goes through so many changes what with the high ABV, the barrel aging and blending that the taste really is light years away from 'Snugglebunny' and more like 575...same beer, different aging.

OBR is good to enjoy right now at 16 months and will age gracefully for a few years to come. Thanks for caring and I hope you enjoy the ride and development...and we all learn something about patience and aging. :)

TheBronze likes this.
  19. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Nov 12, 2011 Washington

Know what else I hear is aging gracefully right now? The Lamb

20. BuckeyeOne

Were you hanging out this afternoon and messing with Rufus?

21. Smurf2055

Not at Fremont, no

22. deathcharms

deathcharms Jul 11, 2009 California

mmmmmmm love me a good English BW.

23. BuckeyeOne

I was asking cuz I got a little taste of The Lamb from the barrel yesterday afternoon and thought maybe you were there as well.

24. Smurf2055

That would make sense, but sadly I was not at Fremont today. My buddy opened one of his bottles a couple weeks ago and says it is doing well. I've still got a couple bottles left and should probably open one soon. How was it from the barrel?

25. BuckeyeOne

Without carbonation and at room temperature (55 degrees), it smelled and tasted like chardonnay.

26. NWer

NWer Mar 10, 2009 Washington
    Beer Trader

Was that a good thing?

27. BuckeyeOne

Neither good nor bad. Hard to judge a beer without carbonation and a sour at the wrong temperature.

The barrel-aging is definitely doing its thing, though. And I could pick out the brett but it wasn't overwhelming.

28. dirtylou

dirtylou May 12, 2005 Washington
    Beer Trader

Perhaps TexWild can weigh in on this. Everyone says Chardonnay barrels for the lamb, but I've also heard Merlot...

29. NWer

NWer Mar 10, 2009 Washington
    Beer Trader

Yea. I was being sarcastic. Chardonnay is one of my least favorite wines.

30. BuckeyeOne

I don't like white wine of any kind.

31. sergeantstogie

sergeantstogie Nov 16, 2010 Washington

I must have been the minority that really liked the Lamb.

32. Smurf2055

No sign of bottles while I was there, but they had a 100% brett beer on tap this afternoon

33. distantmantra

distantmantra May 23, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

Yeah, I stopped by for a glass of Ferm Lab II around 3pm and didn't see bottles.

34. HuskyinPDX

HuskyinPDX Jan 23, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

On it tomorrow. Will post if there is anything.

35. TysonA

TysonA Dec 12, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

Any update on this bottle release?

36. HuskyinPDX

HuskyinPDX Jan 23, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

I didn't make it. I'll try again tomorrow.

37. ArchEnemyBrew

ArchEnemyBrew Mar 21, 2010 Washington

Info has been up for a while now. Check your bottleworks/Brouwers app yo.

38. draheim

Beer Trader

For the app-less among us, please post the info here. I'm 1700 miles from Seattle but would like to know the dealio.
    I checked both Brouwer's and Bottleworks blog pages, as well as Fremont's twitter feed, and found nada.
    Cheers!

39. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Sep 11, 2011 Washington
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Per the app:
    Now the question: buy then or will it be on sale at Fremont as well?

40. ArchEnemyBrew

ArchEnemyBrew Mar 21, 2010 Washington

Tuesday, April 30th--Fremont Old Bridge Rider Bottle Release
    This beer was made almost 16 months ago for Brouwer's 7th Anniversary well it need time to mature and we aged some of it in Bourbon Barrels for 6th months then blended them and waited and waited and finally we all felt that after we had missed the 7th and 8th Anniversary dates the beer had reached a point where it was ready. Bottles will go on sale at Bottleworks on Tuesday, April

Live in the now Draheim ;)

draheim likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe