Official Wetherspoons Beer Festival Thread

Discussion in 'British Isles' started by paxton1978, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paxton1978

paxton1978 Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2008 England

Thought I'd start one up for everyone to share their thoughts on the latest beer fest. Tried the Martin Pale Ale and Nogne Bitter tonight. Sadly not wowed by either. They were in good nick, but not stunning. I won't complain at £2.35 a pint though!

2. CwrwAmByth

CwrwAmByth Grand Pooh-Bah (3,101) Jan 24, 2011 England
    Pooh-Bah Society

Damn this has started already?! I'll have to get my camra vouchers sent from home! (and my camra membership renewed hehe) Hopefully having 4 or so 'spoons nearby i'll have a good choice!

3. AEK

AEK Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2010 Wales

F***! these festivals seem to be getting earlier and earlier. I was in 2 minds whether to call in to my local one today but changed my mind, oh well, there's always my 'old local' in Manchester tomorrow.

EmperorBevis likes this.
  4. Aye

Aye Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2011 England
    Deactivated

not impressed by owt ive tried so far, and sounds like the big guns haven't been up to much either, v.poor.

5. Ruds

Ruds Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2008 England

The only two I've got my eye on are the Smuttynose and the Nogne

Last year I sought out the US collabs and wasn't overly impressed with the ones I tried

I'll give the Smuttynose a go (if I find it) and if that doesn't wow, then I won't bother with JD BF's again!

6. Aye

Deactivated

lol, been to the local 'Spoons and they had Gallantry and the GK regulars available. I'm getting used to walking out of that place without a having a sup 1st.

7. reprob8

reprob8 Initiate (0) May 22, 2008 England

tried the Nøgne ø this lunchtime, nice enough but we know what they're capable of. Will be seeking out the Smuttynose, they have plenty of experience of Cask Ales so I'm looking forward to it, but I don't expect it to be big on hops.

Maybe they'll have to bring Toshi over from Guam for the next Festival.

8. ReluctantScooper

ReluctantScooper Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2008 England

Smuttynose was good, the Russian 'imperial' stout was smooth but would have benefited from more booze and a few rough edges. There were another dozen festival beers between the JDW & Lloyds bar next door to each other in Derby but they were full of shitmuppets so I didn't bother stopping.

9. AEK

There was not much on when I called in for a swift one in Manchester, there was nothing different on that I hadn't had before apart from King Goblin which I had previously had in bottle form. I was not overly impressed with it, in fact I preferred the bottle version to be honest. Wish I had decided to have the Old Slug Porter. No doubt the Irish beer will be flowing tomorrow at JDW, sadly it was not on today

10. CwrwAmByth

Pooh-Bah Society

That's the trouble with Wetherspoons, to many bellends getting pissed.

11. paxton1978

i've hit two 'Spoons so far and had about 6 of 'em. The Caledonian coffee porter was pretty good, everything else kind of so-so (including the Willy wheat, zulu blonde, wolf whistle and the two others mentioned above). going to try another one later!

12. Aye

Deactivated

Logans Run and King Goblin are the latest snoozeworthy offerings at the local 'Spoons

13. marquis

marquis Pooh-Bah (2,301) Nov 20, 2005 England
    Pooh-Bah Society

I wrote a bit about our Spoons in the "Nottingham Stout and Porter Trail" thread in which the Trent Bridge Inn took part.As already mentioned it isn't your typical Spoons, it has a full range on all the time and I've never had even an indifferently kept pint.The Festival beers were all at £1.99 which came down to £1.50 with a CAMRA voucher.Picks of the day were Bateman's Salem Porter and Nottingham Brewery's Sooty Stout.

14. Aye

Deactivated

After all the indifferent beers ive suffered there recently all enthusiasm for the fest has left me. Coppers 8 til 8 offie is supplying me with Magic Rock, Thornbridge and Summer Whine beers so balls to 'Spoons. Except their bargain breakfasts

15. AEK

Tried the Caledonian Coffee Porter yesterday, it was quite nice but I personally think the quality of ales at this festival compared to the other JDW festivals I have frequented twice a year going back some 11 years has been nothing short of woeful. Perhaps things will be better at the Hallowe'en festival or whatever date they intend holding.

16. Zimbo

Zimbo Pooh-Bah (2,281) Aug 7, 2010 Scotland
    Pooh-Bah

As I've said before there isn't a 'Spoons' near me but from my experience I don't really have any regrets. Dull, dull dull comes to mind. Happy to have anyone try to convince me otherwise though.

17. Ruds

Ruds Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2008 England

Had the Caledonian Coffee Porter on a very rare spoons forray on Weds

Thought it was very bland

Got a faint flavour of coffee in the first mouthful and little thereafter. Easy drinking, but no flavour. The standard spoons 'TOO COLD' serving temperature didn't help matters either.

Bought 3 pints of it all together, short changed by 30 p.

Told the barmaid, or should I say 'child' and no no no it's £6.90, that's what the till says!

Er ... There's a big sign over there stating 'Beer Festival - all beers £2.20' and the pump clip has a '£2.20' tag on it, so that should be £6.60.

I can't do anything the till says £6.90.

Can you get your manager???

She's upstairs at the moment.

15 minutes later and wishing to depart to a decent pub for flavoursome beer and still no sign of said manager to reclaim my 30p

Can you get your manager please?

She's still upstairs!

Well I'm going so I suggest you pop and get her!

manager comes down, logs into the till and gives me 30p, no explanation no apology

So what was the problem then I ask?

Oh - she just rang the wrong price in for each pint

No apology from either, look of disdain as if I shouldn't query anything

Spoons = SHITE

and yes as per Marquis I know theres the odd one that is run by a beer enthusiast (Derby springs to mind) that are very good, but such spoons are in a teeny tiny minority!

18. CwrwAmByth

Pooh-Bah Society

Yes I agree I dislike Wetherspoons generally. Good for cheap booze before a night on the town but generally the atmosphere is too horrible for a decent pint and a chat with friends. I prefer my local. A classic old English pub with 8 pumps dispensing 4 ever changing ales from different Welsh and occasionally English breweries.

19. AEK

The sign outside the JDW in Rhyl said £2.05 a pint, went in and was charged £1.89. I soon supped up before they realized the mistake as that place is usually more expensive than my 'old local' spoons in M/c.

20. paxton1978

Oh, I thought the porter was okay. A little thin, but then maybe the fact that I managed to get it well-kept and at the right temperature helped. And mine was under £2 a pint, surprisingly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.