Offshoot Beer Co. - New line from The Bruery

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by JoshBeerNow, Apr 1, 2017.

1. pro100

pro100 Initiate (80) Oct 12, 2014 California

First of all you should have great/stellar single can releases before jumping into the foray of double can releases. And really even before can releases you should be known for having a good tap room experience first of all which makes fans of the beer anticipate a can release from said brewery. These dudes jumped ten paces with double can release right out the gate.

They need to slow down a bit and breath. Plus stay away from TIPA's for the time being as well

#1401 pro100, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    BlazinHazen, KevSal, lanedlr and 3 others like this.
  2. Izzy_Izumi

Izzy_Izumi Initiate (48) Aug 3, 2017 California

I completely forgot what "NEIPA" I had at Beachwood last night, but I do remember it tasting like chives. Or spring onions. Not a fan, and I'm glad I just tried it rather than get a pour. By all accounts, their releases have been....less than stellar.

3. JayORear

JayORear Savant (990) Feb 22, 2012 California
    Premium Trader

Beachwood?

4. Izzy_Izumi

Yeah, they had an Offshoot beer tapped in LB's guest tap list. Can't remember what it was, but it was not good.

JayORear likes this.
  5. elemenohpee1

elemenohpee1 Initiate (189) Oct 29, 2014 California
    Trader

It was "I know you are". Their IPA release from last month. On that note I think im taking a break from OS for a minute.

Hype_Train, JayORear, AyeDogg and 2 others like this.
  6. ernh

ernh Initiate (113) Jun 10, 2012 California

@BruerJoel what is the release schedule for Relax? It's marketed as year round but isn't actually available on the website.

7. InfiniteJester23

InfiniteJester23 Initiate (70) Apr 26, 2017 California

I think it's currently tasting room only?

BruerJoel likes this.
  8. Ponzu4u

Ponzu4u Initiate (46) Jun 19, 2015 California

Drain poured "But what am I?" a couple nights ago, and "I know you are" wasn't much better. I'm sorry but there is just no way those two beers taste "as the brewer desired" or whatever excuse was given. Unless maybe said brewer has never actually tasted a comparable NE-style beer? You simply can't put these beers up against comparable style offerings from even the LA area alone (Monkish, Noble, HPB, CASA, even Mumford) and not recognize a clear inferiority in quality.

RossM likes this.
  9. HopHead89

HopHead89 Initiate (116) Oct 20, 2016 California
    Trader

Offshoot needs start looking at what MoonRaker is doing when it comes to releasing cans that aren't up to par... :persevere:

10. taylordane

taylordane Initiate (126) Dec 28, 2015 California
    Trader

What does Moonraker do?

11. HopHead89

Trader

They were going to release CANS and werent happy with the quality so they didnt release it. They posted about it on their IG

dcgunman and taylordane like this.
  12. swanfungus

swanfungus Devotee (455) Dec 23, 2014 California
    Trader

For what it's worth, Offshoot has done that before. Dumped an entire batch before canning/selling.

13. AyeDogg

AyeDogg Initiate (138) Oct 29, 2015 California
    Trader

Just literally just chugged my last But What Am I can, well in 2 chugs. It got worse.

Definitely passing on this month's release.

14. Izzy_Izumi

Yeah, this wasn't the greatest first experience, as I haven't had any of their offerings before. I usually give breweries a few chances, but...

Also, you'd think that a company as big as The Bruery can just financially go at this with aplomb and make the haziest of haze juice.

15. pro100

pro100 Initiate (80) Oct 12, 2014 California

Forgot Offshoot. I'm going to give LA Ale Works a shot and stop by tonight or tomorrow. Haven't been there in a long time. Mumford and HPB have a can release today as well

albertq17 likes this.
  16. HopHead89

Trader

I'll just leave this here...

17. taylordane

Trader

He looks pretty confident the beers are super great so I'm gonna max on both.

#1417 taylordane, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  18. lanedlr

lanedlr Aspirant (263) Jul 2, 2014 California

The can art IS lit but thinking 28 cans of each instead of the 32 max is probably enough.

taylordane likes this.
  19. Rbarnes4381

Rbarnes4381 Initiate (127) Oct 29, 2013 California

The best thing about offshoot is their marketing. Can art and beer names are pretty good. Too bad the beer is awful.

20. swanfungus

swanfungus Devotee (455) Dec 23, 2014 California
    Trader

Sadly, I'll take this one step further: all some breweries need to sell beer these days is the right Instagram filter.

pro100 likes this.
  21. OTB

OTB Disciple (374) Sep 2, 2011 California

That a boy, make sure you check in here and let us know how thay are !!!!

Cheers,

taylordane likes this.
  22. fegelFatso

fegelFatso Initiate (88) Jun 23, 2013 California

I'm just hazed out... EVERY RELEASE is "Hazy this, Hazy that!"

I say can The Terrence... but then again, I have personal reasons for wanting that ;D

23. dcgunman

dcgunman Crusader (717) Jul 1, 2009 California

Is their new yearly can release out? $12.99 per 4pk? Anybody try it? Just asking. I wish these Offshit guys would put some west coast clear stuff out in cans. Or what it’s called these days? SoCal IPA?

fegelFatso and Hoppedelic like this.
  24. annakarina

annakarina Initiate (74) Jul 29, 2016 California

You're in luck! It appears their last hazy release was some clear stuff!

pro100 likes this.
  25. dcgunman

That’s not good if it’s suppose to be hazy.

fegelFatso likes this.
  26. pdmoore714

pdmoore714 Initiate (195) Dec 26, 2013 California
    Trader

Only had on tap, easy pass on the cans for me.

RossM and dcgunman like this.
  27. dcgunman

Thank you. You just saved me from wasting my time.

fegelFatso likes this.
  28. fegelFatso

Again, time for more WEST COAST IPAs!

29. drewone

drewone Meyvn (1,237) Sep 18, 2006 California

But what I am was terrible, starting to get to the end of my rope. Feeling slightly embarressed for both of us.

Dimidiata and Ponzu4u like this.
  30. Hype_Train

Hype_Train Initiate (101) Feb 8, 2017 California

I've been a supporter of the Offshoot series since it came on board. Now as to the percentage of beers that I actually enjoyed from what they have put out is roughly around 40% of the time. Unfortunately the cans have been worse. I can actually name the beers I've liked.. 10 years, Friends giving & Line Cutter. Even the last two releases are still in my fridge and I dread trying to finish a can. I literally couldn't do more than 2 full sips of but what am I because it's so God awfully disgusting. Drain poured it. Now I'm not gonna cry and want my money back, lesson learned to support a business expanding to try to new things, but you guys aren't and haven't even been a real ipa brewery.

Anyways, I think I'm done with buying anymore cans. I will now only taste the beers on tap going forward. Also, either the beers needs to be tested out differently during qc or all together the Offshoot needs to close up shop because it's just not working out and the reviews and complaints seem to be getting bigger more often.

Good luck offshoot and it's customers who do enjoy these beers.

Scottie_A25, RossM, Ponzu4u and 8 others like this.
  31. dcgunman

Totally agree. I gave my $$'s and time in OffShit and I think it's about time. No More. I will go to the tasting room and try their stuff on draft first. Most of the stuff I've had their that's not canned is better than most cans I've bought. I think they bamboozeled us. Oh well. Lesson learned.

32. HopHead89

Trader

I too have been BAMBOOZELED & it doesn't feel good! :angry:

Chris818c likes this.
  33. pdmoore714

pdmoore714 Initiate (195) Dec 26, 2013 California
    Trader

I'm holding out a few more weeks to discover this has been one huge April Fool's joke all along

34. OTB

At the end of the day that Offshoot brew team sat down and decided Watch This was fit for human consumption, I’ll never get my head around that. As I said previously, prove me wrong CONSISTENTLY and I’ll think about jumping back in. Until then I’m out.

Cheers,

Ponzu4u, BlazinHazen and dcgunman like this.
  35. fegelFatso

Hazy IPAs are overrated anyway... they know how to make good West Coast IPAs (Hop Luck and Semantics are evidence of that!) so maybe they should go back to that!

dcgunman likes this.
  36. PMR

PMR Initiate (121) Mar 31, 2005 California

Hey All,

I've tried not to post much here, but I've been actively reading and appreciate the constructive feedback.

Overall, I'm very proud of what my team has done with Offshoot, a brand that has been in existence for just under a year. I'll admit there have been misses along with successes in our canned Offshoot releases, and we'll always be learning and optimizing along the way. We're looking to strike a balance between beer that fits all of your expectations on what this style should taste like, and being able to add a different perspective on the style. The former is much safer and frankly makes our lives easier.

If you haven't tried cans of Relax yet, I'd suggest you check it out. My (not so humble) opinion is that it is a great representation of the style, it is easily available, and it's a great price point. It'll be something you can consistently count on.

Also, I tried "Cross My Heart" (hazy IPA, 6.5%) yesterday from the canning run, and it's pretty damn great. Soft mouthfeel without being cloying, citrusy and tropical, very clean fermentation profile. We're canning "Kiss My Elbow" today, look forward to tasting it from the canning run as well.

Just wanted to let you know we're listening and considering your feedback. I am flattered by all of the feedback, negative or positive, because it indicates to me that you care enough about The Bruery and Offshoot to share your thoughts.

For those that have written us off, I hope you'll revisit us soon.

Cheers,
    Patrick
    The Bruery / Offshoot Beer Co.

37. JayORear

JayORear Savant (990) Feb 22, 2012 California
    Premium Trader

So, does this satisfy all of you who were looking for a response? I have a feeling some of you want nothing less than some kind of groveling admission that some of the beers have been terrible (not just "misses"). But isn't the above about as good as one could expect?

m34josh, yokels, taylordane and 3 others like this.
  38. taylordane

Trader

Appreciate the response. For me, the pre-release hype reviews from the company are just impossible to believe anymore. That's why I appreciate that they provide the recipes, but I can't seem to judge on that anymore either.

Hype_Train and HopHead89 like this.
  39. Chris818c

Chris818c Initiate (36) Mar 16, 2016 California

This is pretty much what I expected from them. An apology from them would be nice for knowingly selling products they advertise on the can as hazy yet the finished product is see through. It’s not the fact that I give a shit if it’s hazy or not, I just feel companies should be held responsible for false advertisement. Also an apology for selling beer that most people agree is so bad that they had to pour it down the drain. I know this won’t happen; therefore, Patrick’s response is good enough I suppose. At least on my end I’ll show my dissatisfaction by not buying anymore of their products.

HopHead89 and taylordane like this.
  40. OTB

NO !!, did you not REALLY read this ? He's freekin selling more beer under the guise that there may have been few a swings and misses to date. You dont sell the misses, one thing I admire about Henry at Monkish is that he has actually dumped entire inventory because it wasn't up to his high standards, and he's not the only brewery that hold's themselves to a higher standard, no, this has more to do with meeting those sales quota's from the new mothership, trust me.

Cheers