OG BAs? (original gangstas, not original gravity or barrel aged)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by francisweizen, Apr 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. francisweizen

francisweizen Nov 4, 2002 Washington
    Society

Hey there!

Just seeing who is still around and active on this site from the "olden days" Anyone who joined up in the 90's or early 2000's? (2002 myself).

I used to be a big reviewer, trader, and forum poster myself, and often find myself coming back to BA after the rest of my life gets in the way and takes away precious beer drinking time!

I've been lucky enough to move around to several different states and countries before ending up in Alaska, home of some of the worlds greatest brews, and the newly reopened Anchorage Brewing Company!

I'm lucky to work with a great group of wine and beer enthusiasts, and continue to educate myself, getting recognized as a certified cicerone, and also a certified sommelier. I also home brew and help judge home brew competitions with the BJCP.

Anyways, I just wanted to say 'hi' and see if anyone from the old days is still actively contributing to this wonderful site.

So if you are an OG, say hi! and let us know what you have been up to and where the wonderful journey of beer has taken you!

2. tbryan5

tbryan5 Sep 22, 2012 Louisiana
    Trader

Wow! I was in middle school in 2002. Props to you. I only hope that I can still be hunting/drinking/brewing good beer after 13 years on BA. #inspired

3. Mike_Aguirre

Mike_Aguirre Jan 20, 2015 Mexico

Sound like you know your beer and wine man. I´m very new, but that´s awesome. Cheers!

4. Kuaff

Kuaff Mar 31, 2013 Alaska

I was also in middle school in 2002!

But I thought I'd say hi to another Alaskan since I don't come across many here. :B

ItsYourBoyBlue and francisweizen like this.
  5. Techichi

Techichi Sep 25, 2012 Texas

Not quite that far back, but I registered on the old site around 2007 or so. I had to create a new account in 2012 due to losing my password. I didn't post much back then though.

It's really quite amazing how much my tastes have changed since then. I used to love big, sweet beers like American Quads, Dubbels, and Barley Wines...hated whiskey barrel aged stuff. Now it's practically the opposite. lol

djsmith1174 and WellRested518 like this.
  6. Tilley4

Tilley4 Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

2007 myself... Not sure if that qualifies me as an OG but I've been around a while... Francisweizen, what happened to the old avatar? I never could figure our what that was...

aasher likes this.
  7. francisweizen

Society

Oh, I don't even remember what the old avatar was!

8. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

Can't stand it when a very early 20 something speaks beer to me so "matter of fact."

9. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Jun 18, 2002 Arizona
    Society

do_ob, kemoarps, floridadrift and 6 others like this.
  10. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Jun 18, 2002 Arizona
    Society

Right, or if you've ever heard of XYZ common craft beer that you first tried when they were still in diapers. Can't help but chuckle inside.

Same for general treatment of craft beer as something new or recent.

11. Tylertut

Tylertut Oct 20, 2014 Ohio

Its awesome for me as a new member to see such a wide array of members on here. From old posters to people like me, new guys; I was in elementary school when some of you joined.

mactrail, smutty33 and GetTheYayo like this.
  12. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Aug 21, 2005 Minnesota

I lurked around all the way back in the early 2000s and finally joined in 2005. More than 20 yrs of interest in craft beer and I still don't know crap. :grinning:

13. StoneGreg

StoneGreg May 16, 2002 California

14. GeddyLeeRocks

GeddyLeeRocks Oct 14, 2012 Pennsylvania

I joined for the first time back in 03-04, got banned for posting a drunken tirade against certain aspects of this site in 2007, rejoined in 2012! I laugh my ass off at these young whippersnappers who talk about how this limited addition barrel aged coffee infused stout or that 9000 ibu wax sealed IPA is the greatest beer ever! I remember drinking my first "craft" beer (SNPA) at a Dead show back in 1987 like it was yesterday. So to all you young pups, If you have never heard of Heavyweight Brewing or Wild Goose Brewing, STFU!

15. whiskey

whiskey Feb 25, 2012 California

:cough:

kemoarps likes this.
  16. TongoRad

TongoRad Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

2004 here- part of the second wave, I suppose, but I still remember a lot of the old characters that preceded me. Things were pretty rough and tumble back then, but kind of really fun in their own way as well.

My old avatar was Nasty Canasta, fwiw.

Premo88, 2beerdogs, aasher and 10 others like this.
  17. francisweizen

Society

I know, I know....

yemenmocha and djsmith1174 like this.
  18. francisweizen

Society

God I miss heavyweight so much! I remember when they had their ice bock night at barcade in brooklyn back in 04 or 05? perkunos hammer eisbock was awesome!

TongoRad and GeddyLeeRocks like this.
  19. zid

zid Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

From that to God? Quite the cartoon evolution.

djsmith1174 and TongoRad like this.
  20. TongoRad

Society Trader

Yeah, well, I try to be a bit more benevolent these days as well, so I guess it fits :slight_smile:.

Premo88, 2beerdogs, dianimal and 5 others like this.
  21. GeddyLeeRocks

GeddyLeeRocks Oct 14, 2012 Pennsylvania

God? I thought your avatar was Jerry Garcia! Oh wait, Same Thing! Never mind.

22. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

One of those statements is true :wink: I kid, welcome back to the fold!

PatrickCT and francisweizen like this.
  23. francisweizen

Society

I mean ABC and Midnight Sun alone...2 of the best, plus king st is pretty awesome as well as Denali Brewing

CowsandBeer and Kuaff like this.
  24. draheim

draheim Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

Those of you who were in middle school in 2002 aren't helping others of us feel any younger. Oh, and it's called "junior high."

25. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

Ha!

By the time I was finished with elementary school, my town had already closed the junior high school and opened a middle school. By the way, I started middle school in 2002.:slight_smile:

26. mentor

mentor Aug 23, 2003 Colorado

Still around from time to time. Not active reviewing beers every night like the 'old days'. Busy with kids and just (finally) opened my own brewery here in Denver (Declaration Brewing). The beer fun never ends!

sulldaddy, koopa, Loganyoung and 15 others like this.
  27. drtth

drtth Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

No, it used to be called Jr. High, quite a while ago. :slight_smile:

28. drtth

Hmmm, and here I thought your avatar was Gippetto getting a beer for his boy to help him keep his nose from growing.... :-)

zid and TongoRad like this.
  29. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

I was the last class of my junior high before they changed it to middle school in 1996. Was also the last class of Bryant College (now University) in 2004. I celebrated both by getting drunk after the last day of class.

30. paulys55

paulys55 Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania

Was lurking since around 2006/07ish, joined in 2010. Certainly not OG but twice as old as some I see here. Still a great community if you know how to filter out the nonsense.

2beerdogs, Premo88, Axic10 and 6 others like this.
  31. paulys55

paulys55 Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania

Yeah, but do you know anything about beer? :wink:

2beerdogs, Gtg642, dianimal and 10 others like this.
  32. TastyIsBeer

TastyIsBeer Dec 13, 2006 Illinois

Came late to this site, started drinking microbrews and imports as soon as I started drinking in 1993 - I'm one of those guys who remembers Pete's Wicked Ale (though Wicked Winter Brew was better) and Watney's Cream Stout. Wish there would have been enough craft out there to support a BeerAdvocate back then - I went to University of Illinois and one of the guys who wrote Mosaic (the web browser, not the hop) lived a few doors down from me in the dorm with a guy who is still one of my best friends.

33. drtth

Which one, the cartoon character or the NYC striptease artiste? :-)

#33 drtth, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
    TongoRad likes this.
  34. TongoRad

Society Trader

Definitely this guy (and from this scene, actually)-

"Have a drink!"

I'll have to do some research on the other one- thanks for the tip. I'll be in my bunk. :slight_smile:

35. drtth

<thinking to self, "Hmmm, @TongoRad spends a lot of time in NY" and wondering about his "homework"....>

1000lbgrizzly and TongoRad like this.
  36. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

37. champ103

champ103 Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

Been lurking since 2004, finally decided to create an account here in 2007, and this is my only "social media" spot I go to. So I am not really the OG, but shortly after I guess :slight_smile:

38. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Jul 4, 2005 Ohio
    Society

I remember drinking Pete's Wicked when I was in college, and the Wicked Winter Brew was really good too!

39. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Society

I don't like when early 20 somethings speak to me about anything. I wish I could go back and kick my own ass.

40. scottbrew4u

scottbrew4u Feb 2, 2005 Pennsylvania

Miss Heavyweight but I get to be close to Earth Bread and Brewery where Tom Baker still brews some great beer! I helped him brew a batch one summer he is a great guy and very humble about his accomplishments.
    Miss Wild Goose Oatmeal stout too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.