O’Hara's Irish Stout is going nitro cans

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Bitterbill, Mar 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,224) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

From Facebook:
    [​IMG]
    I have mixed feelings on this but if it, the Nitro, becomes more available than the non, I can live with that.

Shanex and steveh like this.
  2. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,570) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

I don't know, this seems a sort of sell out by O'Hara's. If you can't beat 'em? :confused:

Shanex, jesskidden and Bitterbill like this.
  3. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,224) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

Sell out or seeing what their competitors are getting in sales? I AM fairly confident that it will sell well and be superior to the current offerings.

Shanex likes this.
  4. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,513) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

It appears that O'hara's isn't the only "Irish Stout" brewed in Ireland that will see the US shelves soon*. (Of course, Heineken-owned Murphy's won't be one of them, either Draught or Canned :grin:).
    [​IMG]
    Galway Hooker doesn't appear to be "Nitrogenated" - Sullivan's is a different US importer (Park Street Imports, Miami) than previously listed (MHW).

* COLA's approved for Sullivan and Galway Hooker dated Feb. '21, so might not make it to the local stores' "St. Paddy's Day" displays?

slc666, Jaycase, FBarber and 2 others like this.
  5. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,570) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

I say "sell out" because they resisted so long to remain more traditional. I agree the Stout is better than the usual commercial offerings, but is this a sign they're headed in their direction?

Bitterbill likes this.
  6. BruChef

BruChef Initiate (188) Nov 8, 2009 New York

Not too de-rail the thread but while you on here referencing Irish stouts, I figured you’d know the answer to my question about Beamish. Haven’t seen it stateside in years. What’s up with that?

7. jesskidden

Society Trader

The former owner, Scottish-Newcastle, was purchased by Heineken and Carlsberg - the two international companies dividing it up by country. Heineken got the Irish and UK parts of S-N, thus the Beamish brewery in Cork, where coincidentally they also owned the local Murphy's Lady's Well brewery. They closed Beamish, moved the brewing of the beer to Murphy's and announced they'd no long export it to the US (maybe else, too, can't recall).

BruChef, Bitterbill, Jaycase and 2 others like this.
  8. jesskidden

Society Trader

Just back from beer shoppin' (on a Saturday? Yeah, I forgot what day it was yesterday when I was doing some other stuff...) and I did see, for the first time, among all the stacks of Guinness and cardboard shamrocks a few 4 packs of Sullivan's Irish Gold Golden Ale and Maltings Irish Ale but not the Stout.

scootercrabb, FBarber and Bitterbill like this.
  9. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,469) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

I'm not a fan of this news...those nitro widgets kills the flavor IMO...they look great and they are creamy but...its like drinking creamy flat stout.

10. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (5,443) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Society Trader

As someone who probably buys more draught Guinness cans than any other beer, I'd certainly welcome some more options in the nitro Irish stout can category.

JimKal, scootercrabb and Bitterbill like this.
  11. LiamoMill

LiamoMill Initiate (83) May 11, 2017 Ireland
    Trader

This was released in Ireland this week. Had a can of it last night, it’s nice but not better than the carbonated version unless you really love nitro stouts. Not sure how well it will do as it’s close to 3 times the price of Guinness. Would love to see them doing nitro cans of Leann Folláin but no sign yet.

Bitterbill, Jaycase and steveh like this.
  12. billandsuz

billandsuz Zealot (509) Sep 1, 2004 New York

This is very good news.
    Anytime something happens that awakens the CAMRA crowd into a frenzied fit is a good day in my book.

Not proud.

Bitterbill likes this.
  13. 1009

1009 Zealot (523) Jan 20, 2019 Massachusetts
    Trader

I definitely agree, but whilst in the pandemic times, sometimes you must resort to the nitro can to get that stout fix. Had a Guinness at a restaurant the other day though and it made me want to throw out all the stout widget cans I have at home :slight_smile: Sláinte!

Bitterbill likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.