Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

OK... I must admit, DIPA's are beginning to grow on me...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Bradystraps, Feb 21, 2013.

1. SToneyBrew

I much prefer DIPAs to regular IPAs. They are usually more balanced INMHO (stronger malt). Check out Avery Maharaja, Great Divide Hercules, and Oscar Blue Gubna

2. TheBeerDad

Beer Trader

I had one of these last night, keeping in mind I also had a Citra the night before, lets just say I was a touch let down.

Head_Shot likes this.
  3. RWNay

Subscriber

A few years ago it was one of my favorites! Last year I bought some and it didn't have the same appeal to me that it once had. But I recall it having a lemon flavor and it being more hop-forward. It does have a nice malty balance, and is a little sticky but for my taste buds, I wouldn't put it in the maltier category. I do look forward to having this one again this year in the late spring. Good beer!

4. nc41

Beer Trader

Drink enough DIPA's and there's a huge difference between world class and just good.

5. ESHBG

It is the same on my end as well and back in the day when I didn't like hoppier beers at all, I avoided DIPAs because I just assumed that they would be worse. But then over time and as I started to appreciate the hoppier brews I figured I would give a few a shot, and I liked them better than most IPAs I had.

6. brewfly

pyramid outburst

7. cjoc83

Beer Trader

If you want something less citrusy, you might just wanna go with a regular IPA and not a DIPA...

Sixpoint Bengali Tiger is a great, creamy IPA that has some citrus hops but a nice malty backbone.
    Founder Centennial IPA is a great malty IPA as well.
    Actually, Burton Baton (DfH) is a really great DIPA, and very smooth as it's a blend of old ale and DIPA, also aged on wood chips.

8. Holsie

Agree with Alchemy--excellent DIPA that gets overlooked

9. Dirtinabottle

Beer Trader

This is a hard one to track down. Probably my most sought after beer right now.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe