OK- so I don't get Sculpin...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ImJ2x, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImJ2x

ImJ2x Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2012 California

It's the #1 rated single IPA on this site, but it does nothing for me. I've tried it many times, and it just seems so boring and flavorless to me. Zero character, right? What am I missing???

2. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Initiate (0) May 8, 2006 Michigan

A palate that appreciates Sculpin.

No need to over think it, not everyone will like everything.

3. deadonhisfeet

deadonhisfeet Pooh-Bah (2,419) Apr 23, 2011 Kentucky
    Pooh-Bah

You know, I've had Sculpin twice. The first time I had it, I thought it was average at best. Later I had it again and liked it a lot more. Perhaps my palate matured or perhaps I just had a bad serving that first time. I find that our fellow beer advocates who use this site are quite adept at identifying good beers so I'm always willing to give highly-rated beers 2nd or even 3rd chances.

That said, I must agree with you. I still don't think it's the best IPA. Just off the top of my head, I think Centennial and Two-Hearted are both better and Fathead's Headhunter simply pulverizes it.

4. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2011 Florida

That's like poetry man.

5. gatornation

gatornation Grand High Pooh-Bah (9,502) Apr 18, 2007 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

when fresh it is perfection

shutyourface, Boz12 and Duff27 like this.
  6. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,772) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Pooh-Bah Society

I "get it" but if you don't, no worries.

And by I get it...I surely don't mean I can actually get it locally or even by buying online.

Boz12 likes this.
  7. crossovert

crossovert Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2009 Illinois

Try Droado, its alot better

8. Retail1LO

Retail1LO Initiate (0) May 4, 2011 Pennsylvania

This is a beer that I feel experiences some significant batch variation. The first time I ever had it, my eyes damn near rolled back into my head. Subsequent experiences have run the gamut, however. I like it when it's got a ton of grapefruit/citrus in it.

9. jlz619

jlz619 Initiate (0) Mar 28, 2010 California

Ur missing the batches that were made in small amounts with a LOT more love rather than the bastardized version found now. The beer is a shell of what it once was. I love ballast point but hate sculpin.

calidelphia likes this.
  10. ImJ2x

ImJ2x Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2012 California

Y
    Yep. Taste is completely subjective.
    I guess what I'm asking is: For the many that DO like Sculpin, why?

11. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina

Ive had it 3 times. Its good, but ive had so many better IPAs than it. Fresh Commodore Perry, Uinta Hop Notch, Founders Centennial, and Two-Hearted in no order (and thats off the top of my head). I ripped apart my first bottle when it first came.

But taste is subjective. I know alot of people love it, and I recommend people try it for that reason with the caveat that it doesnt float my boat.

12. Retail1LO

Retail1LO Initiate (0) May 4, 2011 Pennsylvania

Had two bottles of that this year. Thought it was absolute junk. *shrug*

McNuts and jrnyc like this.
  13. M1A2

M1A2 Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2012 Ohio

Its a great beer but not #1. I am just wondering why White Rajah is not getting any love its way better IMO but its #16

Pelican5 and cavedave like this.
  14. bradfordjohnson

bradfordjohnson Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2012 Kentucky

I liked Sculpin...didn't LOVE it though. anyone here had Habenero Sculpin? I had it in San Diego about a month ago...pretty damn interesting.

15. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,772) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Pooh-Bah Society

Here's my review from 2008:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/199/29619/?ba=Bitterbill

At that time, I thought it was near perfection. If it has "stumbled" since then, that's a pity.

16. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2012 California

Drink a growler to your dome and you'll figure it out. I know i did :slight_smile:

biglobo8971 likes this.
  17. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

Was it bottled or on tap? If bottled, did it have a best by date? The few times I've had it on tap it's been hit or miss. If the bottle didn't have a best by date, find another that does and revisit. The best by date is 4 months out from bottling.

18. oldp0rt

oldp0rt Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2011 Canada (QC)

Also had this year's batch and didn't like it (it was my first time trying it) so I was also left thinking to myself, how did it make it number one.

19. phillybeer7779

phillybeer7779 Initiate (0) May 31, 2010 Pennsylvania

I like it, but it falls off fast. Once I had it on draft within 2 week of kegging, and it was one of the best beers I had in my life, other times it was pretty much a slightly above average IPA.

20. brewbetter

brewbetter Initiate (0) Jun 2, 2012 Nauru

Have you ever had a mango? Sculpin is the mango IPA. It's delicious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.